Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

IBEC taking 5,000sqft in Penrose One, upto 80% occupancy now. Moving from Douglas Road

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

marno21 wrote: »
    http://pleanala.ie/casenum/308790.htm

Bessboro SHD filed for 179 apartments. SHD website is at www.gatewayviewshd.ie

Would be nice to see a few of these type developments in the city rather than out there

Gateway View...you’ve gotta love the names. “Back of B&Q View” would be more accurate.

It’s only about 250 metres along the old railway line from this site to the well served City Gate bus stop, though that’s barely lit after dark which renders it unusable for many people.

Car access to/from that site is very bad. The junction where you would come out onto Skehard Road is already very congested at certain times of day. Adding 179 apartments to that isn’t going to improve the situation. There is a one-way rat run that can be used when travelling from town to there but we probably shouldn’t be factoring the existence of ran runs into SHDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭snotboogie

IBEC taking 5,000sqft in Penrose One, upto 80% occupancy now. Moving from Douglas Road

Great news, fluff piece in the examiner on the development this morning too: https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40187658.html

While its obviously a really nice building, I much prefer the interior of the Horgans Quay office next door. I'm at a loss as to why Penrose is booming and HQ is essentially empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

snotboogie wrote: »
    Great news, fluff piece in the examiner on the development this morning too: https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40187658.html

While its obviously a really nice building, I much prefer the interior of the Horgans Quay office next door. I'm at a loss as to why Penrose is booming and HQ is essentially empty.

Being the first finished, and the nearer to the centre help. Two thirds of Horgan's Quay being on hold in a half-finished state doesn't help either.

But it could just be down to their business team and their experience / connections too. Don't know anything about the relative pricing, but that could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

http://pleanala.ie/casenum/308790.htm

Bessboro SHD filed for 179 apartments. SHD website is at www.gatewayviewshd.ie

Would be nice to see a few of these type developments in the city rather than out there

Any idea why there's an SHD for 179 apartments, and a separate "normal" application for another set of apartments in the same location, by the same developers? Can't remember the details of the planning notice, I think the other set was for about 70 apartments.
    cantalach wrote: »
    Gateway View...you’ve gotta love the names. “Back of B&Q View” would be more accurate.

It’s only about 250 metres along the old railway line from this site to the well served City Gate bus stop, though that’s barely lit after dark which renders it unusable for many people.

There's been talk that the council will illuminate the whole of the old railway line - that might make it more useable after dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Thoie wrote: »
    Any idea why there's an SHD for 179 apartments, and a separate "normal" application for another set of apartments in the same location, by the same developers? Can't remember the details of the planning notice, I think the other set was for about 70 apartments.

There's been talk that the council will illuminate the whole of the old railway line - that might make it more useable after dark.

The land for the application to the council is Zoned as Parkland so cant be part of a SHD Application.

SHD Application land is zoned as residential

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

Thoie wrote: »
    There's been talk that the council will illuminate the whole of the old railway line

Yes, but unfortunately that talk has been going on for the last few years. The only part illuminated to date are the ramps from the line up to the City Gate bus stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

attachment.php?attachmentid=535793&stc=1&d=1607641809

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

I was down at the Mardyke track yesterday evening & spotted the Shakey bridge lit up for the first time, hopefully it will be open before xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭RINO87

opus wrote: »
    I was down at the Mardyke track yesterday evening & spotted the Shakey bridge lit up for the first time, hopefully it will be open before xmas.

Yep was in the park Saturday morning and there was a team out power washing and tidying up the approach. All good signs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any more details on this new bus route?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭kub

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Any more details on this new bus route?

An improved frequency, they are going to amalgamate the 221 and 214 routes to a single route so a direct link between Glanmire/ City Center / Togher / CUH.

As Galway is getting a new batch of double deckers, some of their existing batch there will be transferred to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,996 ✭✭✭opus

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yep was in the park Saturday morning and there was a team out power washing and tidying up the approach. All good signs.

Opening this weekend I read.

Cork's 'Shakey Bridge' set to reopen this weekend following €1.7m restoration

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

kub wrote: »
    An improved frequency, they are going to amalgamate the 221 and 214 routes to a single route so a direct link between Glanmire/ City Center / Togher / CUH.

As Galway is getting a new batch of double deckers, some of their existing batch there will be transferred to Cork.

Why are we getting Galways old busses?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

We should have a thread for cork buildings falling down.

Countless times over the years we have read d witnessed buildings collapse in south main street, north main street , washington street, and now again a building in oliver plunkett street today....thankfully no reports of injury

The buildings in this city are in serious need of work, no other european city would get away with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Countless times over the years we have read d witnessed buildings collapse in south main street, north main street , washington street, and now again a building in oliver plunkett street today....thankfully no reports of injury

The buildings in this city are in serious need of work, no other european city would get away with this.

I really don't get how often this is happening. Maybe we don't hear about it but I know no other town in Ireland where this is so common. Is it the buildings, lack of looking after them, is the ground moving a lot. Its a joke really lucky no one was hurt this time.

I would imagine and this is purely guesswork, but the decades of heavy traffic in those streets whilst the building never upgraded must have contributed.

There were reports of singers corner being in serious need of repair, look at what happened above mannix on washington street.
    If this many buildings are falling apart, how many others are just as bad.

Or is there something more underhand, were the safety, regulations etc in the past overlooked for backhanders ?
    Whatever the reason, I would be wary walking them streets during rushhour traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

I would imagine and this is purely guesswork, but the decades of heavy traffic in those streets whilst the building never upgraded must have contributed.

There were reports of singers corner being in serious need of repair, look at what happened above mannix on washington street.
    If this many buildings are falling apart, how many others are just as bad.

Or is there something more underhand, were the safety, regulations etc in the past overlooked for backhanders ?
    Whatever the reason, I would be wary walking them streets during rushhour traffic

Genuinely don't know why there aren't yearly inspections on all those buildings every X number of years. Food inspections happen a lot and you never know when they will come, the same should happen for the buildings. Public safety risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

At this stage the HSA should be stepping in. It’s well beyond a joke. When the fire brigade had to step in recently to cut down a tree that was resting on a 30ft wall opposite Kent Station, you know that basic health and safety is outside the City Councils ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

At this stage the HSA should be stepping in. It’s well beyond a joke. When the fire brigade had to step in recently to cut down a tree that was resting on a 30ft wall opposite Kent Station, you know that basic health and safety is outside the City Councils ability.

And they want to plant more trees around the city...maintained and cared for by whom exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Honestly , many of the upper floors of city centre buildings are abandoned , if there's no stairs access they don't pay rates ,but then no one ever goes up there ,
    If the building owner had to have an annual inspection and give it to their insurance company that'd be the end of the problem .. I presume city council could pass a by law ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I genuinely believe there was backhanders, shoddy builders, suspect inspections over the years,

it cannot be a coincidence this is a problem far more common in cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1339208662791847942

Not sure why this made the news today of all days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

https://twitter.com/VirginMediaNews/status/1339208662791847942

Not sure why this made the news today of all days.
    Strange. Watching that you'd almost assume there was funding, or even anything resembling something more than a vague plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

kub wrote: »

Glad to see it happening but its a far cry from the CMATS plan that was supposed to create a route from Glanmire to Ballincollig via the city centre ( This would make more sense in my opinion). The Glanmire to city route was meant to change to go through mayfield rather than the Tivoli. I hope these plans haven't been abandoned entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Anyone know what's going on in the old halting site on St. Michael's Drive in Mahon? Diggers and construction crews there the last few days. Half wondering is it covid related, the work resembles what went on at the site at the back of St. Finbarr's.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Strange. Watching that you'd almost assume there was funding, or even anything resembling something more than a vague plan.

Let it play. The more it gets into the social consciousness the more pressure will come to bear to get it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/commercial/arid-40191798.html

Apple look to be interested in Navigation Square. Would be great to see that finally get filled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭Apogee

Apogee wrote: »

ABP decision is being challenged:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192647.html

Advertisement