Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭mastershake

Not sure 'Anger' from the current residents is justified. Sounds like NIBYSIM and its worst. The developer is proposing to restore the existing buildings which have significant architectural significance. They will also supply 200 extra dwellings which in todays housing market is welcome. The site is also close to town so it should be attracitve for those seeking to prioritise walking and cycling to work in the city centre or study in UCC. The road isn't the best but hey where is in Cork city.

My only worry is how they go about integrating the new apartment buildings into the exisitng site. You don't want a situatuation where the buildings obsecure the exisitng convent building.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Does anybody actually know what they are doing outside wilton shopping center? Looks like they are just laying tarmac over already placed bike lanes(if they even are, no markings to say they are) and digging up the center of the road for no apperant reason.

Would have been a lot better off resurfacing the entire road because the potholes on it just keep reappearing.

Traffic in the mornings isn’t great due to it however.

Not sure 'Anger' from the current residents is justified. Sounds like NIBYSIM and its worst. The developer is proposing to restore the existing buildings which have significant architectural significance. They will also supply 200 extra dwellings which in todays housing market is welcome. The site is also close to town so it should be attracitve for those seeking to prioritise walking and cycling to work in the city centre or study in UCC. The road isn't the best but hey where is in Cork city.

My only worry is how they go about integrating the new apartment buildings into the exisitng site. You don't want a situatuation where the buildings obsecure the exisitng convent building.

That road effects the entire northside going to Wilton, CUH, Togher, or Bisbopstown.

Extra traffic on it would really hit anyone who has to use Wellington bridge

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

That road effects the entire northside going to Wilton, CUH, Togher, or Bisbopstown.

That route is a pain in the ass already, Takes aaaaages to get from the top of Wilton Road and down through Victoria Cross to the Lee Road in the evenings. Ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

So you drive that route regularly at any times between 07:30 - 09:00 and 16:30 - 18:00?

200 apartments will mean a lot more than 200 cars. This isn't going to be poor student accommodation

And Sunday's Well road is a car park at those times

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

So you drive that route regularly at any times between 07:30 - 09:00 and 16:30 - 18:00?

200 apartments will mean a lot more than 200 cars. This isn't going to be poor student accommodation

And Sunday's Well road is a car park at those times

How many parking spaces are with the development?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

And a significant going from Wilton/Bishopstown to Apple on the Northside.
    I used to drive/cycle in that direction, and it was very busy; and Apple has expanded since.
    If they build and market this as a rental property for professionals working within the city, with extremely limited parking facilities; then it may work out. 200 apartments with full parking would be a recipe for a disaster in terms traffic in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

What would fix most of this would be the north ring road or even the another road to avoid shankil like attached as a short term measure. Purple being the current route and red being the possible alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I was getting petrol at the Lee Garage on Model on Sat morning & noticed a site cleared across the road, looks like a detached house with a big garden was levelled so I had a look at the planning site to see what was going in there & it's these -
    demolition of an existing dwelling house and ancillary structures and the construction of 6 no. dwelling houses (each with a garden shed) and all associated ancillary development works including landscaping boundary treatments, drainage, parking and vehicular access.

Good to see a bit of new housing popping up, not sure of the significance of the garden shed part!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

rounders wrote: »
    What would fix most of this would be the north ring road or even the another road to avoid shankil like attached as a short term measure. Purple being the current route and red being the possible alternative

Red is possible but due to topology would need to take a slight different route with some additional turns.

Red is possible but due to topology would need to take a slight different route with some additional turns.

And may as well bridge the river and up to CIT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

rounders wrote: »

Nope as the Lee Fields were donated to the City on the condition that they would never be built on. The 83 acre site at the Lee Fields of the 1932 Irish Industrial and Agricultural Exhibition was given to the corporation in 1933 by an anonymous donor.

https://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/parks/

rom wrote: »
    Nope as the Lee Fields were donated to the City on the condition that they would never be built on. The 83 acre site at the Lee Fields of the 1932 Irish Industrial and Agricultural Exhibition was given to the corporation in 1933 by an anonymous donor.

https://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/parks/

A bridge past Lee Fields and lining up with The Orchards Road would work. The road going between the Lee Road and Clogheen could still be closer to the city though.

The NRR would be out by Ballincollig and would pass over the Poulsvone Roundabout.

You don't know what you are talking about.
    People, who use that route during the busiest hours are telling you that it's already a problem. It's a lie to state that adding 200 apartments, with the potential of 200+ additional cars wouldn't be a problem.
    The open top tour buses don't travel there during the busiest hours such as the morning.

Do you commute at those times or not?

Do you commute down Sunday's Well or not?

Your Lee Road exampme is deflection of the highest, there was no existing traffic issues at that point.
    I've been stuck in traffic from Barret's buildings all the way to Wellington Bridge far more times than I care to remember.
    Unless you use that road, at rush hour, stop making useless comments about something you've never experienced

• Advertisement

Glad you agree with my example that a ~ 200 dwellings development doesn't affect traffic.

I rest my case. :)

Traffic coming down from Shanakiel is horrendous in mornings and evenings and is absolutely apocalyptic on Friday evenings.

There is Little existing traffic on the Lee Road hence why 200 apartments there makes little difference.

You don't seem to understand existing volumes and capacity

Do you use that stretch of road, during rush hour?
    It's a simple question to answer

So no. You don't know what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Live on Convent Avenue. It's going to be a nightmare. Getting parking at the moment is difficult enough aside from all the additional traffic/congestion.

With cars parking on either side of the road at all times 2 cars rarely pass each other without difficulty.

If I am not, may God put me there; and if I am, may God so keep me.
    Stick to prayers, you clearly can’t deal with reality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

See screenshot attached from google maps showing current backlog situation in the area in the mornings.

You are clearly just trolling and trying to derail the conversation. Can we please bring it back on point

Advertisement