Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

@snotboogie

Regarding IKEA.I heard from a person in the know, only the other day, that they are DEFINITELY coming to Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

@snotboogie

Regarding IKEA.I heard from a person in the know, only the other day, that they are DEFINITELY coming to Cork.

Where in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Carrigtwohill has always been mentioned any time Cork and IKEA gets mentioned.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Carrigtwohill has always been mentioned any time Cork and IKEA gets mentioned.

I remember people (middle-aged women) sharing that news article from the examiner/echo on facebook and commenting stuff like "Please come to carrig IKEA and make all our dreams come true"

That is a drab bloody dream to want come true....sad folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

That is a drab bloody dream to want come true....sad folk.
    Not an IKEA fan myself, but why are people sad for wanting it? Some people are really into Next, Aldo..... for others it's IKEA. They are probably just exaggerating on the dream stuff; but not like they are affecting others by it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Not an IKEA fan myself, but why are people sad for wanting it? Some people are really into Next, Aldo..... for others it's IKEA. They are probably just exaggerating on the dream stuff; but not like they are affecting others by it.

For the reason I stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

snotboogie wrote: »
    Updated best case schedule:

Q3 2018: Navigation Sq phase 2
    Q4 2018: Horgan's Quay, Sullivan's Quay, Crows Nest, Square Deal, York Street Hotel, Victoria Cross Student, Penrose Dock
    Q1 2019: Events Centre, Dunkettle, The M, Jacobs Island, City Gate Plaza, Parnell Place Hotel,
    Q2 2019: Victoria Hotel, The Prism

6 of the 16 developments are over 9 storeys tall (Horgan's Quay, Sullivan's Quay, Crow's Nest, The Prism, Jacobs Island and Penrose Docks) with Jacobs Island having two buildings over 9 stories, currently there are only two buildings in Cork over 9 storeys (The Elyssian and the County Hall). One would be the tallest in the state, another would make the top 5 in the state and another would make the top 15. These developments represent a potential seismic shift in the cityscape.

Obviously there is no way all 16 will even start, nevermind over this timeframe.

There's also this one mentioned earlier in this thread: Victoria Road, 10 storey - though it could be reduced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

For the reason I stated.
    Right. Other people doing their own thing. Doesn’t make them the sad one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Parnell Place Hotel: 7flr, 165 bed hotel on Parnell Place and Deane Street. Submitted on Aug 6th, objections from residents on the 10th of Sept. Planning decision was due on the 26th of Sept.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg
    Planners in City Hall have now written to the developers asking them to revise their plans. In particular, they said they have serious concerns about the impact the hotel would have on the Lower Oliver Plunkett Street homes and asked for the removal of three hotel rooms at the second floor along with other modifications to the plans.The developers now have six months to supply the revised information after which the Council has four weeks to make a decision.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Planned-Parnell-Place-hotel-told-to-revise-their-proposal--7d066474-bf1f-4eac-9d85-1ff95a5ac388-ds

You'd have to wonder... if that area continues to build as-is (this hotel, the Prism, the nearby 40-storey tower proposal), never mind the nearby UCC business school and Maldron Hotel opening, will those houses still be around? You'd think that location would be very sought-after. Parnell Place has really come on an awful lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Apogee wrote: »
    marno21 wrote: »
    Fair play once again snotboogie

Roads update .. bolded entries are updated since last post .. thanks for doing the M28 one in language that's far more PG than I would be able to manage.

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: Tender for this project has been awarded to Sisk. Preliminary works by the contractor will begin on site in Q4 2018 with full construction in Q1 2019. The scheme is expected to take 3/4 years to complete due to the complex traffic management involved.

M20 Cork-Limerick: This tender process for the design and planning of this scheme went out in April with route selection and initial design expected to begin in late 2018/early 2019. The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform have announced this week that this scheme is expected to start in 2021 and open in 2025, however this appears ambitious.

N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney: The prequal stage of this is now complete with invitations to tender being sent out in July 2018. At present, a tender award is expected (but not confirmed) in mid 2019 with a start soon after. Completion is expected to take 3 years.

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. The project has entered the pre-appraisal stage along with 14 other schemes nationwide under a TII framework. This scheme may be one of the first to go to construction as it's a small scheme and pays large dividends for low upfront cost.

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was approved in full by An Bord Pleanala in July 2018, and Cork County Council intend to begin land purchase and issue tenders for advance works in late 2018. However, a local militant anti-motorway group in Rochestown intend to seek a judicial review on the project, which in their belief will lead to the destruction of their community and widespread health issues due to noise and air pollution, although their solution is to route the motorway through Ballinhassig instead which would add around €400m to the cost of the project and add upto 25km of a round trip for vehicles. Judicial review was awarded in September 2018, set a nominal return date to court of 4th October 2018, but this is unlikely to be the start of the hearing as the plantiff & defendant will need time to prepare their cases. Most likely early next year before the hearing commences but we'll see what fast tracked means in the high court.

M40 Motorway Reclassification and ITS Upgrade: TII & Cork County Council are currently engaged with consultants on this which would see motorway regulations being applied to the N40 and ITS equipment ("smart motorway" equipment) including display VMSs being installed on the length of the M40 and approach roads such as the N27 and N71. The study is ongoing with phased implementation expected on an as of yet unknown timescale. Enabling works including communication ducting will be carried out in Q4 2018.

M40 North Ring Road East: This project was included in the National Development Plan and will be reactivated if there is a requirement to connect the M20 to the motorway network around Cork. The road remains a priority for people on the Northside (including Apple) but not to central Government.

R624 Cobh Road dualling: Cork County Council are applying to DTTAS to have this road upgraded to a national road and a portion of dual carriageway built along its length which will involve the construction of a 2nd dual carraigeway bridge onto Great Island. The project will be initially appraised under DTTAS new appraisal guidelines, with no timescale yet for delivery.
    @snotboogie

Apogee wrote: »

Thanks for the updates, I appreciate all of the help I can get, especially on housing and infrastructure which I don't follow as closely. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to edit my post :s I'll include these updates next month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »
    You'd have to wonder... if that area continues to build as-is (this hotel, the Prism, the nearby 40-storey tower proposal), never mind the nearby UCC business school and Maldron Hotel opening, will those houses still be around? You'd think that location would be very sought-after. Parnell Place has really come on an awful lot.

Those are the houses bookended by two adult shops? Personally think whatever attraction those 'homes' had is long gone but that's just me!

opus wrote: »
    Those are the houses bookended by two adult shops? Personally think whatever attraction those 'homes' had is long gone but that's just me!

Possibly not the most amazing houses, but fantastic location.

Right off Parnell Place - which has improved dramatically in recent years. Very close to the bus station, train station (river entrance), the Patrick's Quay private bus services, and a taxi rank. Probably a huge amount of rental demand going forward, from the UCC Business School, Navigation House, The Prism, and Penrose Dock etc.

If they're renovated nicely on the inside I don't think anyone would care what they looked like on the outside!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It looks the Galway politicians actually do their job unlike the muppets we have.Their City ring road looks like it will go ahead costing €600m.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cabinet-to-run-rule-over-600m-galway-ring-road-1.3648098

Only last year the Tuam to Gort motorway opened costing €550m.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/farewell-n17-hello-m17-as-motorway-opens-between-gort-and-tuam-1.3235844

Now I don’t begrudge them one bit but how was all this prioritized ahead of Cork.

It looks the Galway politicians actually do their job unlike the muppets we have.Their City ring road looks like it will go ahead costing €600m.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cabinet-to-run-rule-over-600m-galway-ring-road-1.3648098

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/farewell-n17-hello-m17-as-motorway-opens-between-gort-and-tuam-1.3235844

Now I don’t begrudge them one bit but how was all this prioritized ahead of Cork.

Maybe because our own approved motorway has been under a sustained local opposition to the point of blocking it by way of judicial review, while being actively cheerlead by the local media, primarily The Echo and The Examiner.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,545 ✭✭✭kub

Good point, but we have the Dunkettle project about to start. Also the traffic jams down in Cork are not as bad as in Galway, the place is a disaster.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In relation to Cork, in the 2018-2027 plan we are getting the Macroom bypass, Dunkettle, M20, M28, Carrigtwohill-Midleton.

Remember, two years ago before the 2016 election Enda Kenny said this:
    Taoiseach Enda Kenny was visibly annoyed when pressed by this reporter on the matter in February.

“Cork got its motorway to Dublin. It’s amazing how the expectations grow just as the economy starts to improve,” he said.

This was at the same time that the M17/M18 was underway, there were 2 big motorway projects starting in Wexford and money was being ploughed into the planning & design of the Galway ring road.

Cork has about €3bn worth of investment required in its roads. Motorways to Limerick (M20), Macroom (M22), Youghal (M25), Ringaskiddy (M28), Bandon/Inishannon (M71) are all required. Further road upgrades west of Ballyvourney, and west of Bandon are required. In addition to this a Ballincollig-Blarney-Glanmire North Ring road is required. These are not vanity projects, but there is no political will to get them built.

Galway and the west of Ireland is getting its motorways because the politicians, media and people are united behind the requirement for them. Hence why in the National Development Plan there is heavy upgrading of the N17 Galway-Sligo road, N4 Dublin-Sligo road, N5 Mayo-Dublin road, and a host of roads in Donegal.

In Cork, the response to the most beneficial motorway project in Ireland is politicians queueing up to join the local NIMBY squad in objecting to something that is widely accepted as absolutely critical for the future of Cork.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

kub wrote: »
    Good point, but we have the Dunkettle project about to start. Also the traffic jams down in Cork are not as bad as in Galway, the place is a disaster.
    In fairness, Galway has one main issue that is caused the lack of river crossings, car dependence in general and the existing relief road being swamped with development causing it to be restricted. Cork got a decent ring road in the 90s to begin with while Galway got a half baked mess which is really under strain.

Of course, the Galway policy of locating vast swathes of housing on one side of a river and locating all the industry on the other side of the river and believing it's wise for everyone to drive single occupant cars between the two on a 4 lane road with frequent roundabouts and traffic lights is showing itself up too.

In Cork, we have the Dunkettle mess, the bottleneck at Douglas, the lack of a North Ring Road, the lack of a motorway to Ringaskiddy, and the need for bypasses of Inishannon, Bandon, Clonakilty, Midleton/Lakeview, Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Mallow, Charleville, Buttevant, Macroom, Ballyvourney, Carrigaline amongst others.

County Council wants funds to purchase Passage West docks interesting but they don't really say what the plans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

County Council wants funds to purchase Passage West docks interesting but they don't really say what the plans are.

Seems a bit odd, for apartments? But that would mean the council want to become proper developers.. Always thought passage suffered from being right next to a brilliant public transport line, but having very poor access to it..
    The cobh rail line is just across the river from passage but the only access is at glenbrook.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Markcheese wrote: »
    Seems a bit odd, for apartments? But that would mean the council want to become proper developers.. Always thought passage suffered from being right next to a brilliant public transport line, but having very poor access to it..
    The cobh rail line is just across the river from passage but the only access is at glenbrook.

I always thought that once the port of cork is moved fully to ringaskiddy, having a pedestrian/cycle bridge from around Passage to Carrigaloe would be a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Seems a bit odd, for apartments? But that would mean the council want to become proper developers..

After the city boundary extension Passage will be one of the nearest county council areas to the city. I think this means 1000’s of homes and very little new road investment.A new Douglas Village comes to mind.

Seems a bit odd, for apartments? But that would mean the council want to become proper developers..

After the city boundary extension Passage will be one of the nearest county council areas to the city. I think this means 1000’s of homes and very little new road investment.A new Douglas Village comes to mind.

They have to get a new town up and running to leech from the city, as they have been doing with Douglas for decades.

And, like Douglas, infrastructure be damned

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

workmen have been working inside the old Thirsty Scholar|Lancastar|Star pub on Western road. It might finally be reopening!

43278975050_18417f3658_c.jpg

Was walking by the large, red-brick 'mill' building on McCurtain St., there seemed to be substantial renovations going on on the ground floor. Does anyone know if something is going in there, or is it just a pop-up venue for the Jazz Festival or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Was walking by the large, red-brick 'mill' building on McCurtain St., there seemed to be substantial renovations going on on the ground floor. Does anyone know if something is going in there, or is it just a pop-up venue for the Jazz Festival or something like that?

I think there is a planning application for a microbrewery with bar/restaurant type thing

Which building is this? Where is it on the street?

Which building is this? Where is it on the street?

It's on the North side of the street, on the corner of McCurtain St. and York St. Big red-brick converted mill building, has loads of potential, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's on the North side of the street, on the corner of McCurtain St. and York St. Big red-brick converted mill building, has loads of potential, IMO.

It was Thompsons Bakery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

October Update

Jacobs Island Apartments: 413 apartments across a couple of blocks ranging in size from 6 storeys to 9 storeys and one landmark 82.8m and 25 floor tower! This would be the tallest building in the state if constructed. Submitted for Planning with a decision due on October 10th

UfL1aNE.png

Squinting at the text on the screengrab of tomorrow's Examiner from Broadsheet.ie ...
    Full planning permission has been secured this week for a residential development of 413 homes to include a tower of 25(?) storeys at Cork's Jacob Island.

463094.jpg

Advertisement