Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭boardise

What's your problem?

What kind of dumb response is that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Mav11 wrote: »
    I agree. Was there not a movement a few years ago by those with a republican bent to change all placenames with a British connection e.g. Victoria Rd?

With their campaign materials in the Queen's finest English...

Meanwhile, Cork City Council allows a new housing development next to Con on Boreenmanna Road to be called Aylesbury. Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

cantalach wrote: »
    With their campaign materials in the Queen's finest English...

Meanwhile, Cork City Council allows a new housing development next to Con on Boreenmanna Road to be called Aylesbury. Seriously?

How about The Cotswolds in Midleton? Really annoying, you couldn't make it up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40290341.html

Consultants to be appointed by months end to progress the Cork suburban rail project. Jacobs already working on the Light Rail and Jarrett Walker & Associates working on the redesigned bus network.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

What cork_exile is saying is that without signposts enforcement is not possible from a legal perspective. Hence the comment earlier about the torn up tickets...

I understand what he's saying!!

It's just a poor argument. If people weren't so selfish and ignorant then enforcement wouldn't even be needed. It's scumbags pushing the law to the limits.

Do you have signposts informing people not to take a dump in your wheelie bin, for example?!! You shouldn't need to!!

• Advertisement

Mardyke wrote: »
    I understand what he's saying!!

It's just a poor argument. If people weren't so selfish and ignorant then enforcement wouldn't even be needed. It's scumbags pushing the law to the limits.

Do you have signposts informing people not to take a dump in your wheelie bin, for example?!! You shouldn't need to!!

Bullcrap. It's required to have signs, it's the law around the lanes. And it seems that you don't understand as it is NOT a cycle lane without them.
    Without them the lanes are just fancy squggles on the ground.

What you're proposing is that we can break the law around creating cycle lanes, while you give out about people breaking the law parking in them.

So, just say that you don't know if there are signs or not, and we can both wait for someone more informed.

Bullcrap. It's required to have sings, it's the law around the lanes. And it seems that you don't understand as it is NOT a cycle lane without them.
    Without them the lanes are just fancy squggles on the ground.

What you're proposing is that we can break the law around creating cycle lanes, whike yiu give out about people breaking the law parking in them.

So, just say that you don't know if there are signs or not, and we can both wait for someone mode informed.

This attitude is what makes Ireland such a crap place to live these days, certainly in terms of healthy living and moving to a non car centric society.

Sad.

This attitude is what makes Ireland such a crap place to live these days, certainly in terms of healthy living and moving to a non car centric society.

Sad.

What attitude? Actually obeying the law?

You don't get to choose which laws to obey

Happy...
    Edit: Actually I'm not happy. I'm shattered from the past few days of ICT hellscape.
    Too tired for your histrionics around a simply question, so ignored

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Some helpful person was driving down the new cycle lane in Glounthaune yesterday. You know the really nice wide new segregated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

If people weren't so selfish and ignorant then enforcement wouldn't even be needed. It's scumbags pushing the law to the limits.

And that is the crux of the issue. Because scumbags will act like scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Some helpful person was driving down the new cycle lane in Glounthaune yesterday. You know the really nice wide new segregated one.

But how did the signs not magically stop them from doing it?? I mean, signs are the answer to all our problems.

marno21 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/munster/arid-40290341.html

Consultants to be appointed by months end to progress the Cork suburban rail project. Jacobs already working on the Light Rail and Jarrett Walker & Associates working on the redesigned bus network.

All this better end up with actual physical infrastructure instead of more reports with fancy cgi and maps on a page.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But how did the signs not magically stop them from doing it?? I mean, signs are the answer to all our problems.

Then you can complain about enforcement. No signs means they are doing nothing illegal (on the parking aspect anyway)

Then you can complain about enforcement. No signs means they are doing nothing illegal (on the parking aspect anyway)

The are signs in the Glounthaune cycle path and they still did it.

The are signs in the Glounthaune cycle path and they still did it.

So that's an enforcement issue and we should be complaining to the correct authority. I was asking a simple question about the parking image

So that's an enforcement issue and we should be complaining to the correct authority. I was asking a simple question about the parking image

We're not going to have Gardaí monitoring every cycle lane in the country for transgressions and it's really a selfish and ignorance issue firstly. Too many people out there just don't give a shiite about other people or their surroundings. They'll park on footpaths, drive on cycle lanes, let their dogs crap all over the footpaths without cleaning it up, leave their rubbish behind them etc. Such a lack of civic pride.

So, it all comes down to signs!!

I'm not familiar with the new Glounthane cycleway, but is it not very obvious that it's a cycleway and not a road?

So, regardless of signs, unless we have a full time patrol on every cycleway in the city and county, enforcement is difficult.

It comes back to the attitude of people.

That needs to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Pandiculation

It’ll need bollards. If you look at how unenforceable the clear way was on MacCurtain Street for all the time its existed and & been signed, it’s very obvious that in a place like the South Mall, you’ll just get tons of parking.

It’ll need bollards. If you look at how unenforceable the clear way was on MacCurtain Street for all the time its existed and & been signed, it’s very obvious that in a place like the South Mall, you’ll just get tons of parking.

And plenty of the "I'm just pulling in for a few minutes" merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Are they going to put up barriers to protect the new cycle lane on South Mall? If not it's just going to turn into a car park.

You'd wonder what's wrong with people that they look at that and say 'oh, free parking'.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    You'd wonder what's wrong with people that they look at that and say 'oh, free parking'.

You can see from the poster above, who thinks about the law behind enforcement before safety for fellow citizens, to understand what a big problem has been created.

People have become slobs. With SUVs.

cgcsb wrote: »

Then get the law changed (if it has not got signage)

Then get the law changed (if it has not got signage)

Jog on willya. With your signs and your Law For Dummies paperback.

Disgraceful attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Disgraceful attitude.

They are not wrong though, are they? Without the correct legal signage, nothing can be done (from a legal perspective) about people parking in unsigned cycle lanes. Put up the correct signage, then ticket like mad and increase the fines. Behavioural change only comes about in this country (and many others I suppose) by bringing in legislation to combat the behaviour you are trying to change and then enforcing that legislation. Driving is a prime example - behaviours and attitudes were change over a long period of time for things like drinking and driving, speeding etc with harsher penalties, stricter enforcement, penalty points etc. People stopped engaging in these behaviours initially because the punishment wasn't worth it. After that came the massive shift in societal attitudes - once acceptable or even just tolerated behaviours have no become unacceptable and even seen as anti social. I don't think the argument is that there is nothing wrong with parking in a cycle lane, because there clearly is. The argument, as I understand it, is it doesn't matter if its wrong or right - if there isn't a law against people will still do it, regardless of how you or I or anyone else feels about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Disgraceful attitude.

No idea what your attitude is about. Cork exile is trying to provide reasoned argument and you’re doing nothing but rubbishing it without any basis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lets keep it civil please

• Registered Users Posts: 16,996 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Humans.

A group of people all want the same thing - people to stop parking and driving in cycle lanes.
    Huge argument ensues.

Humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Unfortunately regardless of whether there are signs or not some people are just lazy selfish godshytes who'll park where they want. Then play the old oh I didn't know that bit of road with the funny markings wasn't somewhere I could park!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ah shur twill be grand/only parking for 5 mins/ah shur deres no one riding bikes around here/ah shur nobody issuing fines I'll chance it/shur theres loads of room to cycle around my car/if someone has a problem, I'll pretend I didn't see nawtin/feckin signs tellin me to do stuff, I'll show them...

That's the difference between us and Swedes, Germans, Dutch etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Unfortunately regardless of whether there are signs or not some people are just lazy selfish godshytes who'll park where they want. Then play the old oh I didn't know that bit of road with the funny markings wasn't somewhere I could park!

A cycle lane was installed outside of Cork Con. the issue?

No signs were put up and the road markings were exactly the same as those used elsewhere in the city to show parking spaces. Que people parking in the cycle lane.

You first ensure that people know it’s a cycle lane. When this hurdle has been clearly jumped you move onto enforcement. Without the public knowing it’s a cycle lane, enforcement makes no sense.

Advertisement