Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

A cycle lane was installed outside of Cork Con. the issue?

No signs were put up and the road markings were exactly the same as those used elsewhere in the city to show parking spaces. Que people parking in the cycle lane.

You first ensure that people know it’s a cycle lane. When this hurdle has been clearly jumped you move onto enforcement. Without the public knowing it’s a cycle lane, enforcement makes no sense.

The cycle lanes outside electric are painted for 2 cycle lanes going either direction - there are no parking spaces on that side of the road anymore. It’s ignorance to claim otherwise. Anyway, the poles are being installed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

As the torn up tickets outside Con show, signage is everything

Who's issuing paper tickets? Parking warden?

I was speaking to a garda recently about parking enforcement, and he was saying one of the problems they have is that they no longer issue a ticket on the windshield, so there's no visual deterrent to anyone else parking there. They go back to the station, fill out the details, and the fine turns up in the post a few weeks later, at which point many people have forgotten that they were illegally parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Signs and bollards going in today. Hopefully that'll do the trick but there's always going to be some gobshyte who'll try to park there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

So that's an enforcement issue and we should be complaining to the correct authority. I was asking a simple question about the parking image

It's more of a design issue, with the Glounthaune one.
    They put in a PFO lane with full car access, which loses priority at every side road.
    Most cyclists will continue to use the main road. Very few people will actually benefit, and loads of money will have been wasted. I think it might be a positive piece of infrastructure for pedestrians, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

jackrussel wrote: »
    The cycle lanes outside electric are painted for 2 cycle lanes going either direction - there are no parking spaces on that side of the road anymore. It’s ignorance to claim otherwise. Anyway, the poles are being installed today.

Where did I say anything about Electric?

• Advertisement

Where did I say anything about Electric?

Ah here ffs, Where did I say you said anything about electric?

So there were no poles?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Treehelpplease

Everyone agrees on the same thing, just some people think enforcement is the problem and others think education is. Why are people becoming so hostile?

Everyone agrees on the same thing, just some people think enforcement is the problem and others think education is. Why are people becoming so hostile?

I really don't know. All I know is that unless there is correct signage, it's not illegal

It's more of a design issue, with the Glounthaune one.
    They put in a PFO lane with full car access, which loses priority at every side road.
    Most cyclists will continue to use the main road. Very few people will actually benefit, and loads of money will have been wasted. I think it might be a positive piece of infrastructure for pedestrians, but that's about it.

I live in Carrigtwohill and have gone for a number of spins on the Glounthaune pathway over the last few weeks as more and more of it gets completed. I was surprised at the number of cyclists using the path and not just leisure cyclists but plenty of serious roadcycling lads on it also flying along.

One of the main objections to the design was that no cyclists would use it so it would be a waste. The reality so far is quite the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 conjalu

Mardyke wrote: »
    So, it all comes down to signs!!

I'm not familiar with the new Glounthane cycleway, but is it not very obvious that it's a cycleway and not a road?

So, regardless of signs, unless we have a full time patrol on every cycleway in the city and county, enforcement is difficult.

It comes back to the attitude of people.

That needs to change.

I havent seen a European City (outside of Ireland) with worse illegal parking than Cork. It's gone beyond a joke at this stage, cars parked all over footpaths and cycle lanes throughout the City, particulary on Sundays when people know that wardens aren't on duty.

So there were no poles?

So you’re just being smart now? You said enough times that there were no signs - so you overlooked the lack of segregation poles until now?

Seems a lot of people on the cork sub are just pining for an argument

So you’re just being smart now? You said enough times that there were no signs - so you overlooked the lack of segregation poles until now?

I never did, I asked the question.
    No one has answered ffs

And I took the "poles" comment to be in relation to this, as opposed to segregation poles.

What is wrong with people here? This isn't the cycling forum. It's a development thread with constant references to projects shut down because of technicalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Are people here on acid or what?

This is the most bizarre sniping ever in the Cork forum. I'm genuinely bamboozled.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've always enjoyed this particular thread but it really has descended into a right bowl of piss unfortunately.

Are people here on acid or what?

This is the most bizarre sniping ever in the Cork forum. I'm genuinely bamboozled.

I, honestly, just asked the question given the cock up about the lane outside Con. I'm actually going to unsub for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 16,995 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I, honestly, just asked the question given the cock up about the lane outside Con. I'm actually going to unsub for a while

Yes.
    We all want the same thing.
    I wouldn't take it personally, it's too bonkers for that.
    Someone really needs to take a step back and take some deep breaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Steering this thread back on topic, it looks like there's finally something about to be done about that all-but derelict retail park in Ballincollig that's currently used by Lidl:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40291175.html?fbclid=IwAR1_p09cgNcNDYMniWrD4i4HXMAdB1gPk7Xyy4_aA0fkF5XC_-Oj3cmNwpA

As much as I enjoy the occasional post-apocalyptic vibe down there, it's long overdue that something was done about that thing.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭kilrush

In other news the Glenanaar pub on the Boreenmanna Road is now a pile of rubble so maybe they are starting to build the apartments there or maybe they are just clearing the site for future sale?

553379.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

cantalach wrote: »
    On the subject of the physically segregated cycle paths that have been developed over the last year, a problem is starting to become apparent. Most of them are starting to accumulate a lot of debris that is kicked in by passing motor vehicles. The use of road sweepers in the main traffic lanes exacerbates the problem. Some stretches are already unusable puncture minefields. Putting in cycling infrastructure requires a commitment to regular maintenance and sweeping, i.e. it needs ongoing op-ex as well as the initial cap-ex. I'm not sure Cork City Council gets this.

Yes, it's definitely an issue. Ideally these seperated cycle lanes should have kerbing and bollards to prevent debris. And be wide enough for the new small sweepers to be used inside them.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

In addition to College View, there are more bikeshare stations being built on Mardyke Walk (near UCC Rugby ground) and on Connaught Avenue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ban handed out forcontinued uncivil behaviour. Lets move on from cycle lanes please

Cork BusConnects has a page now on the BusConnects website. Public consultation by end of the year. Apparently 13 Core Bus Corridors will form the spine of the proposals https://busconnects.ie/busconnects-cork/ :

Core Bus Corridors (CBC) in Package

CBC O Orbital corridor From Cork University Hospital via Western Road, Hollyhill, Blackpool, Mayfield, Jack Lynch Tunnel, Mahon point, Douglas village and Black Ash to Cork University Hospital

CBC 1 Dunkettle to City Centre via Tivoli and Kent Station

CBC 2 East of Mayfield to City Centre via Montenotte

CBC 3 Ballyvolane to City Centre via Montenotte

CBC 4 North of Dublin Hill to City Centre via Blackpool

CBC 5 Hollyhill / Apple to City Centre via Shandon area

CBC 6 West of Ballincollig to City Centre via Mardyke

CBC 7 West of Bishopstown to City Centre.

CBC 8 Wilton to City Centre

CBC 9 Cork Airport to City Centre via Turners Cross area

CBC 10 South of Douglas (N28) to City Centre via Douglas

CBC 11 Jacobs Island to City Centre via Ballinlough

CBC 12 Mahon to City Centre Via Ballintemple

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

namloc1980 wrote: »
    And plenty of the "I'm just pulling in for a few minutes" merchants.

Which is answered by, no bother ,I'm just giving you a ticket ...
    It's a combination of things - good design - signage (a legal requirment ) and enforcement ...
    We've all done stupid ****e - we're less likely to do it if we think we'll get busted -
    And more likely If we think ah everyone else is doing it so it must be ok -
    Personally I think you should be able to remove dangerously parked vehicles with a fork lift , but that might be a bit unpopular ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Which is answered by, no bother ,I'm just giving you a ticket ...
    It's a combination of things - good design - signage (a legal requirment ) and enforcement ...
    We've all done stupid ****e - we're less likely to do it if we think we'll get busted -
    And more likely If we think ah everyone else is doing it so it must be ok -
    Personally I think you should be able to remove dangerously parked vehicles with a fork lift , but that might be a bit unpopular ..

If only they part happened we wouldn't be having these constant issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Cork BusConnects has a page now on the BusConnects website. Public consultation by end of the year. Apparently 13 Core Bus Corridors will form the spine of the proposals https://busconnects.ie/busconnects-cork/ :

Core Bus Corridors (CBC) in Package

CBC O Orbital corridor From Cork University Hospital via Western Road, Hollyhill, Blackpool, Mayfield, Jack Lynch Tunnel, Mahon point, Douglas village and Black Ash to Cork University Hospital

CBC 1 Dunkettle to City Centre via Tivoli and Kent Station

CBC 2 East of Mayfield to City Centre via Montenotte

CBC 3 Ballyvolane to City Centre via Montenotte

CBC 4 North of Dublin Hill to City Centre via Blackpool

CBC 5 Hollyhill / Apple to City Centre via Shandon area

CBC 6 West of Ballincollig to City Centre via Mardyke

CBC 7 West of Bishopstown to City Centre.

CBC 8 Wilton to City Centre

CBC 9 Cork Airport to City Centre via Turners Cross area

CBC 10 South of Douglas (N28) to City Centre via Douglas

CBC 11 Jacobs Island to City Centre via Ballinlough

CBC 12 Mahon to City Centre Via Ballintemple

Interesting to see how this has moved on from CMATS

"The following outlines an indicative Core Radial Bus Network, which has been developed based upon the six guiding principles that underpinned the “initial idealised” network. The indicative Core Radial Bus Network connects the external corridors to the City Centre and has been refined to pair Cross-City travel demand to maximise the utilisation of the bus services on these corridors. A significant improvement in the frequency of bus services on these radial routes is also proposed, with most routes expected to operate at a frequency of 15 minutes or better.
    The indicative Core Radial Bus Network is set out below:
    1. Dublin-Hill – Togher;
    2. Ballyvolane – Donnybrook;
    3. Mayfield – Bishopstown;
    4. Glanmire – Ballincollig;
    5. Mahon – Apple;
    6. Mahon – Blarney / Tower;
    7. Rochestown – Apple;
    8. Grange – Ballincollig (via City Centre);
    9. Frankfield – Farranree.

Orbital Bus Network

The indicative Orbital Bus Network comprises four orbital services which are proposed to serve a multiple of key destinations outside of the City Centre including Little Island and CIT. The upgraded orbital network will cover approximately 50km of services providing additional connectivity, support Urban Expansion Areas and interchange with radial bus services. The four orbital routes comprising the indicative Core Bus Network are as follows;
    ƒ Northern Inner Orbital Route;
    ƒ Northern Outer Orbital Route;
    ƒ Southern Inner Orbital Route; and
    ƒ Southern Outer Orbital Route.
    The Northern Inner Orbital Route will serve the north side of Cork City serving Little Island, Tivoli Docks, Mayfield, Blackpool and Knocknaheeny before crossing the River Lee and connecting with the City’s western suburbs.
    The Northern Outer Orbital Route will provide connectivity with future residential development north of Balyvollane and Old Whitechurch Road. "

Think the Frankfield link is possibly missing in the new proposals? It's either get to Douglas or to the Turners cross link? Does anyone know how the existing bus network will complement this?

Interesting to see how this has moved on from CMATS

"The following outlines an indicative Core Radial Bus Network, which has been developed based upon the six guiding principles that underpinned the “initial idealised” network. The indicative Core Radial Bus Network connects the external corridors to the City Centre and has been refined to pair Cross-City travel demand to maximise the utilisation of the bus services on these corridors. A significant improvement in the frequency of bus services on these radial routes is also proposed, with most routes expected to operate at a frequency of 15 minutes or better.
    The indicative Core Radial Bus Network is set out below:
    1. Dublin-Hill – Togher;
    2. Ballyvolane – Donnybrook;
    3. Mayfield – Bishopstown;
    4. Glanmire – Ballincollig;
    5. Mahon – Apple;
    6. Mahon – Blarney / Tower;
    7. Rochestown – Apple;
    8. Grange – Ballincollig (via City Centre);
    9. Frankfield – Farranree.

Orbital Bus Network

The indicative Orbital Bus Network comprises four orbital services which are proposed to serve a multiple of key destinations outside of the City Centre including Little Island and CIT. The upgraded orbital network will cover approximately 50km of services providing additional connectivity, support Urban Expansion Areas and interchange with radial bus services. The four orbital routes comprising the indicative Core Bus Network are as follows;
    ƒ Northern Inner Orbital Route;
    ƒ Northern Outer Orbital Route;
    ƒ Southern Inner Orbital Route; and
    ƒ Southern Outer Orbital Route.
    The Northern Inner Orbital Route will serve the north side of Cork City serving Little Island, Tivoli Docks, Mayfield, Blackpool and Knocknaheeny before crossing the River Lee and connecting with the City’s western suburbs.
    The Northern Outer Orbital Route will provide connectivity with future residential development north of Balyvollane and Old Whitechurch Road. "

Think the Frankfield link is possibly missing in the new proposals? It's either get to Douglas or to the Turners cross link? Does anyone know how the existing bus network will complement this?

These are different things I think. The CBCs are not bus routes but corridors that the various bus routes will use with presumably bus priority measures, bus lanes etc. A more detailed public consultation is due later in the year so we should see more details then of what the plan is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I live in Carrigtwohill and have gone for a number of spins on the Glounthaune pathway over the last few weeks as more and more of it gets completed. I was surprised at the number of cyclists using the path and not just leisure cyclists but plenty of serious roadcycling lads on it also flying along.

One of the main objections to the design was that no cyclists would use it so it would be a waste. The reality so far is quite the opposite.

I live near you and cycle pretty much daily.
    I disagree, and have also had plenty people come to me telling me that they won't use the new infrastructure again due to near-misses on it. Cars driving on it, and parked on it, frequent lack of priority. The vast majority of cyclists I have seen have been cycling beside it. But it will be interesting to see when it's completed.
    It's a shame because it would have been extremely easy to design segregation.

Advertisement