Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Signage up on Horgan's Quay hoarding "302 modern riverfront apartments.. coming soon"

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

marno21 wrote: »
    Signage up on Horgan's Quay hoarding "302 modern riverfront apartments.. coming soon"

Interesting.

That is interesting. Didn't think these stood a chance anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Interesting.

Coincidentally I took this pic while out for a walk last night.

554210.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, there have been people working constantly on the Carriage Sheds, and the path and greeneries on the quay-side, and on the seats in the waterfront square... They seem to be doing everything BUT starting on the remaining 2 office buildings or the residential block.

I don't know if everyone is waiting on some Government law changes/tax-breaks to facilitate residential development, or just waiting generally to see what the economic landscape is post-Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whoistalking

opus wrote: »
    Coincidentally I took this pic while out for a walk last night.

Could someone tell me what the building to the left of the carriage shed is going to be? Is it a small office building or a multistory carpark? It is in all the pictures but never any reference to it. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

Could someone tell me what the building to the left of the carriage shed is going to be? Is it a small office building or a multistory carpark? It is in all the pictures but never any reference to it. Thanks.

The triangle one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

I think it's a reference to this:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/property/developmentconstruction/arid-40272149.html

Nope, it's a separate triangular piece of currently unused ground:
    554248.jpg

554249.jpg

AreaMap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Not sure where to post short of creating a new thread, but is there somewhere to find notices of road closures in Cork City? I know back in Galway, the City Council (generally) posts notices in the paper and web prior to major road closures.

There's a new road sign on North Mall advising that North Mall & Sundays Well Road will close for 12 weeks from 8 June. 12 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

With regards joggers, it's my understanding that their concerns relate to surface type. Some of them avoid running on concrete. I'm not one of them.

When I ran, avoiding the pronounced "dish" in footpaths at the entrance to homes was the main reason. Trip hazard, Achilles hazard, messes up stride, etc. Sorry!

(I know I'm replying to something from over a week ago...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Pen Rua wrote: »
    Not sure where to post short of creating a new thread, but is there somewhere to find notices of road closures in Cork City? I know back in Galway, the City Council (generally) posts notices in the paper and web prior to major road closures.

There's a new road sign on North Mall advising that North Mall & Sundays Well Road will close for 12 weeks from 8 June. 12 weeks!

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/roads-and-traffic-management/road-closures-and-diversions/

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

calnand wrote: »

Good find.

Planning ID 1737563
    Pages 12 -> 14 of the 'Northern Quarter Drawings' file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

cantalach wrote: »

I had found that link, but it only gives info on road closures a week in advance, no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 whoistalking

Yes it was the triangular one. Thanks for clarifying it is apartments!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Apogee wrote: »

That is very disappointing.

Also it's a joke that in a housing crisis that the current situation makes building apartments not worth it. As a country we really need to look into fixing this ****e! Apartments in the city centre near offices and transport make sense but reality means its a no go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

But taller buildings in Belfast can do so with half the rent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Why is the cost of building houses and apartments in this country so grossly over-inflated?

cgcsb wrote: »
    But taller buildings in Belfast can do so with half the rent

Has there been recently built 20+ storey apartments built in Belfast? Would be an interesting comparison.

Why is the cost of building houses and apartments in this country so grossly over-inflated?

Appears to be a combination of Finance costs, development levies, car parking provision, increase in construction costs and Labour, VAT, developer margins(need profit to grow business and help finance) etc...

• Advertisement

Has there been recently built 20+ storey apartments built in Belfast? Would be an interesting comparison.

Would it really though? Belfast City in fairness has a much bigger population than Cork City.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If an apartment development costs 115% of expected rental yield at the absolute top of the market, it's little wonder we have a housing crisis.

If you can't build a development like this without renting at nearly 3k per apartment, there's a serious issue here but the Government are keen to solve this issue through demand side measures.

VAT, development levies, building standard regulations, and the constraints of limited sources of finance are all killing these developments.

Land costs are often called on here but the cost of land here was ~30k per apartment. Not really worth talking about in this instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's disappointing, and brings into question how the rest of the docklands will ever happen if these apartments are considered non-viable. We need apartments in the city to bring vibrancy and densification. If apartments a stones throw from offices, key transport hubs and the city centre are a no go, then we're goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It's better than the site sitting empty for the next 5 years while nothing happens. This highlights the issues in Cork in a major way. You could handwave about developer hoarding but it's clear now JCD want to build, they just couldn't make it work financially.

I've still not given up all hope on Horgans Quay and the Marina Quarter but most likely we'll probably be looking at the LDA being the only people capable of developing high density apartments in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

If an apartment development costs 115% of expected rental yield at the absolute top of the market, it's little wonder we have a housing crisis.

If you can't build a development like this without renting at nearly 3k per apartment, there's a serious issue here but the Government are keen to solve this issue through demand side measures.

VAT, development levies, building standard regulations, and the constraints of limited sources of finance are all killing these developments.

Land costs are often called on here but the cost of land here was ~30k per apartment. Not really worth talking about in this instance.

Yeah, this unviable project really highlights a lot of the issues. But going to change in a hurry either is my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It is very disappointing. The 25 storey would have fitted in great with the 34 storey across the river. Now I'm wondering will that even go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

It is very disappointing. The 25 storey would have fitted in great with the 34 storey across the river. Now I'm wondering will that even go ahead.

It was meant to be 90 metres. Office space takes a lot more room on each floor, the Exo in Dublin which is 17 stories is 75 metres. This will probably be something similar. I think the viability of the POC building is a totally seperate issue, if anything more offices this close would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Would have been 2/3 the height of the Port tower. Now it will be lucky to be 60m. They would have blended in great at 90m and 134m.

• Advertisement

Its pure bloody greed is what it is. And a complete failure by our pretend government to actually set out regulatory boundaries to prevent it. I don't blame JCD for scrapping it. Why would they build something that was never even going to get anywhere near full occupancy.

I just don't understand why they are considering revising it back to 16 floors as an office only development. Why not just keep the 25 floor design but obviously redesign the interior for office space.

Advertisement