Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/things-are-looking-up-in-cork-as-planning-granted-for-irelands-tallest-tower-873986.html

I can't believe that tower got permission!
    It's needed there, really good location, 1 beds now going up for €1150 a month!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Really need to get a proper public transport corridor up and running into Mahon Point. With the amount of development down there and another 400 residential units going in now, that place is going to be an even bigger traffic nightmare than it already is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

According to a post two days ago on the PROC forum (that also predicted the Mahon tower would be approved) there was 1400 objections against the Jacobs Island development. If that’s true I fear the same fate for this as the Glanmire development with appeals, a judicial review and significant delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

bladebrew wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/things-are-looking-up-in-cork-as-planning-granted-for-irelands-tallest-tower-873986.html

Approved by An Bord Pleanála under the Government’s ‘fast-track’ Strategic Housing Development (SHD), the development proposes 413 apartments, in six blocks ranging from six to 25 storeys, and which, if built shortly, would be the country’s tallest tower.

I like the subtle docklands tower reference!

The tram to Mahon would be the smart optuon, while the marina is still uncluttered

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    According to a post two days ago on the PROC forum (that also predicted the Mahon tower would be approved) there was 1400 objections against the Jacobs Island development. If that’s true I fear the same fate for this as the Glanmire development with appeals, a judicial review and significant delays.
    1400 objections to the plaza on Morrison's Island. All dismissed by city council

Is this the post? Seems to be the Morrisons Island plaza rather than the Jacobs Island development

I'm surprised there wasn't more fruitcakes out against the Mahon tower tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

marno21 wrote: »
    Is this the post? Seems to be the Morrisons Island plaza rather than the Jacobs Island development

I'm surprised there wasn't more fruitcakes out against the Mahon tower tbh

Morrisons Island objections were more against the plan to replace the old river banks and raise the walls rather than the plaza weren't they? Which has been stopped at EU level for now because of consequences to the environment downstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

bladebrew wrote: »

Fantastic news. It's ideal location for apartments so handy for those working in Mahon to be able to walk to work or a quick spin out to Little Island. Good use of land. Hopefully we see more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Fantastic news. It's ideal location for apartments so handy for those working in Mahon to be able to walk to work or a quick spin out to Little Island. Good use of land. Hopefully we see more of this.

Loads of people giving out about the extra traffic in the area.sorry but if you lived in that tower and worked in mahon there is no reason for you driving to work. Just pure laziness unless you have a disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

A bus route from Mahon Point to Little Island through the tunnel should be prioritised

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Loads of people giving out about the extra traffic in the area.sorry but if you lived in that tower and worked in mahon there is no reason for you driving to work. Just pure laziness unless you have a disability.

Given the housing shortage, plenty will live there and need to commute to Little Island/the City/Ringaskiddy. That will increase traffic.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Right. Other people doing their own thing. Doesn’t make them the sad one.

No, I am the sad one, because my wildest dream coming true isn't a furniture shop two hours away being 5 minutes away instead. In fact, any shop being a part of your dream coming true is pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Now, where's the submission for a decent light rail network in and around the Mahon area and into the city, running out to the hospitals and colleges? Because Bus Eireann is not good enough.

Given the housing shortage, plenty will live there and need to commute to Little Island/the City/Ringaskiddy. That will increase traffic.

So what do you want? Don't build houses to help solve the housing crisis as it might increase traffic but then complain that there is nothing been done to solve the housing crises??

So what do you want? Don't build houses to help solve the housing crisis as it might increase traffic but then complain that there is nothing been done to solve the housing crises??

Severely limit parking allowed in such developments. Only 1 space for a two/three bed apartment.
    None for single bed places.

It will encourage those employed locally, or those willing to use public transport, to purchase/rent there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

What are you on about? I'm only pointing out that it will increase traffic; many people living there will not work in Mahon.
    There's a housing shortage. Houses need to be built. I never said otherwise, so not sure why you are reading into something that wasn't said.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Severely limit parking allowed in such developments. Only 1 space for a two/three bed apartment.
    None for single bed places.

It will encourage those employed locally, or those willing to use public transport, to purchase/rent there

There's 400 spaces or so in this development, ~1 per apartment, mainly I believe due to regulations requiring 1 per apartment (which is driving up the costs of these sort of developments).

marno21 wrote: »
    There's 400 spaces or so in this development, ~1 per apartment, mainly I believe due to regulations requiring 1 per apartment (which is driving up the costs of these sort of developments).

So no incentive for them to be local employees. Government (both local and national) keep talking about need for reduced traffic and more reliance on public transport yet still allow huge developments on already existing traffic choke points, without such a simple measure of restricting car ownership in such places.

So no incentive for them to be local employees. Government (both local and national) keep talking about need for reduced traffic and more reliance on public transport yet still allow huge developments on already existing traffic choke points, without such a simple measure of restricting car ownership in such places.

In fairness they could be living there, working in Mahon but not commuting by car. Many people will still want a car for other purposes other than commuting to work

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

A bit of perspective folks.

All new developments increase traffic. Cork is planned for growth. The answer isn’t blocking development it’s meeting demands for public transport.

This development is a terminus for an every 15 minute service through a busy employment centre towards the city centre. The service can be increased if demand spikes. This transport corridor is being upgraded as we speak with proper bus lanes to keep things moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've always though there should be a North and south ring shuttle bus, with stops at every junction, linking to a dunkettle park and ride,/coach train stop..
    Possibly with hard shoulder running and protected stops...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Maybe build houses and plan out the supporting infrastructure in one go would be handy.

titan18 wrote: »
    Maybe build houses and plan out the supporting infrastructure in one go would be handy.

Yes in a ideal world. However people still complain and object to anything new and big. Look at the M28 and the nimby brigade as a fine example.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is there any scope for a bridge crossing somewhere from Mahon south-wards across the bay? So traffic to/from this development - and from Mahon Point etc. - could cut across instead of going onto the link, or onto the Well Road and funnelling through Douglas?

who_me wrote: »
    Is there any scope for a bridge crossing somewhere from Mahon south-wards across the bay? So traffic to/from this development - and from Mahon Point etc. - could cut across instead of going onto the link, or onto the Well Road and funnelling through Douglas?

I say cost along with environmental issues would be a big stumbling block to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

By started, I presume you mean proposed?

Only bridge under construction at the moment is the Harley Street Bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

That is actually just access to the houses on the other side of the rail line. I got excited when I first seen that pop up too but unfortunatly not.

They only agreed the location of the bridge proposal in Feb.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Location-of-new-Tivoli-train-station-and-Dockland-bridges-to-be-decided-98a974dc-4c1b-4b10-8b48-058c76c641a8-ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Are there two proposed downstream bridges so - Tivoli and the Water Street bridge proposal?

Advertisement