Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

This post has been deleted.
    I don't think the exact location for that bridge was ever nailed down, never mind construction started. Are you thinking of the access road to that private house behind the railway line maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

who_me wrote: »
    Are there two proposed downstream bridges so - Tivoli and the Water Street bridge proposal?

See post 20 & 22 on page 2. This is the closest we have to the location of the bridges being proposed as well as potential design.

(Last I heard the skew bridge is actually slightly more up stream towards the end of centre park road)

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057430459&page=2

EDIT: More details on https://www.corkcity.ie/services/docklands/infrastructure/easterngatewaybridgewaterstreetbridgeandspineroutenetwork/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The Prism has been approved! Lots of conditions but none related to height

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

snotboogie wrote: »
    The Prism has been approved! Lots of conditions but none related to height

Great news, hopefully it will proceed quickly enough, and it will also mean it is easy to getting planning future high rises around the docks area also. If we want to make the maximum use of our space in the city and ensure there is proper public transport, high density projects, such as these, are the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Some great news in recent times about the high rises in the city.

You only have to look at Dublin and what not to do with their docklands space and height being restricted and curtailed.

Meursault wrote: »
    Great news, hopefully it will proceed quickly enough, and it will also mean it is easy to getting planning future high rises around the docks area also. If we want to make the maximum use of our space in the city and ensure there is proper public transport, high density projects, such as these, are the way to go.

Can't see it not being appealed. I'd say middle of next year would be a realistic time for this to start.

I wonder if we will see the planning for the Docklands Tower soon. Good update on Horgans Quay too:
    Work has also started on the 11-storey HQ Development on Horgan’s Quay, with a spokesperson for the project confirming they are on site and conducting surveys ahead of demolition.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Looks great from that angle (well, it always would from the 'thin edge'), hope it's as good from the East/West. The Elysian is an example of one whose South elevation looks good, but the West elevation is extremely bland.

The second photo is pretty much my living room view so it better look good :)

The pace of approvals is really picking up, for taller developments. At the moment, there are just 2 buildings in the city with 10+ floors (Elysian and County Hall), now there are 4 more approved (Crow's Nest 10, Sullivan's Quay hotel 12, Prism 15 and Jacob's Island tower 24) with 2 more in planning/pre-planning (Victoria Road tower 10, Custom House tower 40). Edit - make that 5 more approved! Just reading the post above, I didn't realise HQ included a tower of that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

Any update on the hotel on Sullivans Quay? Has the rubble been removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It's expensive to go up...!! Really expensive to go really high...!!,
    So usually developments only go high rise when there's a serious lack of development land... Because of the cost (I know there can be some other advantages in going up),
    Cork city especially the Eastern side (the docks) isn't short of devolpment sites...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

I wonder if we will see the planning for the Docklands Tower soon. Good update on Horgans Quay too:

Are any of the HQ buildings 11 storeys? None of them really look that tall.

rebs23 wrote: »

Nope its all still there. Archaeological work ongoing apparently....
    Are any of the HQ buildings 11 storeys? None of them really look that tall.

The apartments seem to be

Markcheese wrote: »
    So usually developments only go high rise when there's a serious lack of development land... Because of the cost (I know there can be some other advantages in going up),
    Cork city especially the Eastern side (the docks) isn't short of devolpment sites...

If they want to cut down traffic in the city and revitalise trading business there, they (council) need to enforce high rise. No planning below, say, 7 storeys. The sprawl needs to be addressed

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fantastic to see the Prism development approved. Another building that bizarrely isn't welcome in the CBD of the capital city.

Another commercial development approved is another call to action for residential development in the city centre, especially the landbanks on the north and south docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭swampgas

We will need those sites in the future, for more high-rise. That's the future of the city, if we have the vision for it. Build low rise on them now and it's a short term gain but a long term disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

At what height does it actually get proper expensive? 15 stories doesn't seem very much. I can imagine the 24 storey tower might be a differant story.

The apartments seem to be

Just had a quick look through the photo-montages, most of the buildings seem to be about 8 floors, but one towards the rear (North side of site) does seem to be a few stories higher alright.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Website for one of the companies involved seems to indicate the Docklands tower, referred to as "Port Peninsula" will be 47 stories.

https://alubuild.net/projects/#PortPeninsula

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

marno21 wrote: »
    Website for one of the companies involved seems to indicate the Docklands tower, referred to as "Port Peninsula" will be 47 stories.

Those boys look like they mean business. The go ahead for the Prism could see them look at more investment. Always felt it was a tester building to see if Cork was willing to actually go up!

marno21 wrote: »

That could be the standard "We want a 40 storey tower. We'll apply for a 47 storey tower. Planning will trim it down to 40 storey tower. Everybody's happy." :)

I really hope Port Peninsula isn't the name though. Sounds a bit... I don't know... phallic for my liking.

If I'm not mistaken, these are the same developers as the nearby proposed Prism building? I wasn't convinced about the location for the 40(ish) storey tower (and I'm still not) but at least I think it helps if there are nearby towers of similar-ish height.

• Advertisement

That could be the standard "We want a 40 storey tower. We'll apply for a 47 storey tower. Planning will trim it down to 40 storey tower. Everybody's happy." :)

I really hope Port Peninsula isn't the name though. Sounds a bit... I don't know... phallic for my liking.

If I'm not mistaken, these are the same developers as the nearby proposed Prism building? I wasn't convinced about the location for the 40(ish) storey tower (and I'm still not) but at least I think it helps if there are nearby towers of similar-ish height.
    Indeed, the developers of the Prism are the same boys behind the Docklands Tower.

47 stories is another level of ambition though, I'd be delighted to see it go ahead but there will be the usual stream of ***** lining up to try and stop it.

47 stories would make Dublin's best attempt, Capital Dock, look like a glorified crannóg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

bladebrew wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/things-are-looking-up-in-cork-as-planning-granted-for-irelands-tallest-tower-873986.html

I can't believe that tower got permission!
    It's needed there, really good location, 1 beds now going up for €1150 a month!
    The new development of 413 apartments, and with planning also granted for a creche and three retail units plus improved access routes, is most likely to be to service the ‘built to rent’ sector rather than built for individual sales.

It is expected ownership will go to a fund or REIT, such as Kennedy Wilson, which earlier this year bought the fully completed and occupied 17-storey Elysian tower, with 210 apartments plus commercial element, in Cork city centre for €87m.

Any idea why these apartments won't be for sale to individuals? Is it an issue with the developers trying to leverage risk? Seems that the most profitable thing would be to sell them off one by one after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Any idea why these apartments won't be for sale to individuals? Is it an issue with the developers trying to leverage risk? Seems that the most profitable thing would be to sell them off one by one after all.

Profit is measured in time also. Why have 400 odd contracts for your solicitor to close out when the keys are being handed over, when you sell the lot in one contract, pay your financiers earlier and start your next build as work rolls off the current one.

Also renting in a wholly owned complex is far superior. Parking is enforced, no deadbeat landlords/owners refusing to pay fees, lifts maintained on schedule, troublesome tenants turfed out without prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Noticed the 'For Sale' banner on Moores Hotel this morning, wonder what will end up there. Would imagine the existing building will be razed.

opus wrote: »
    Noticed the 'For Sale' banner on Moores Hotel this morning, wonder what will end up there. Would imagine the existing building will be razed.

There's a planning application for a ~190 bed hostel on Morrison's Island. I'd guess it's there (unless it's the unused hotel development at the rear of the BOI building).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

There's a planning application for a ~190 bed hostel on Morrison's Island. I'd guess it's there (unless it's the unused hotel development at the rear of the BOI building).

Nope that's behind it, a friend of mine in a business in that area are purchasing their building so we were having a look at the planning applications around to see what was happening. That hostel is on Fitton St - http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1737530/0

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

rebs23 wrote: »

I think I'm gonna start a campaign to preserve the mountain of rubble as a heritage site in Cork, maybe it should be kept for the arts and something to do with the cities heritage.. Or some crap like that...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Penrose Dock has started clearance

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Penrose Dock has started clearance
    Is this the area east of Railway Street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Construction has begun on the €125 million Penrose Dock office development, one of the key elements of the planned transformation of the North Quays into a thriving new economic district.

Plans includes a 250,000 square feet open plan office scheme, a 12,500 square feet. state of the art gymnasium, a proposed wine bar/coffee shop, 160 basement car spaces and a large townhall space.The construction phase of Penrose Dock is expected to take 18 months to complete with both buildings being ready for tenants to move in by May 2020.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

mainMediaSize=600x325_type=image_publish=true_x0=0_x1=100_y0=0_y1=100.74_format=1.7777777777777777_image.jpg

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Work-begins-on-125m-Penrose-Dock-to-be-ready-for-2020-627bff79-77c4-4a03-b7c2-0108db2ffae1-ds

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/work-starts-on-latest-cork-docklands-project-875467.html

Advertisement