Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Saw the demolition company signs on the the Penrose Quay buildings yesterday, but hadn't realized they'd started...
    There was diggers working in hogan's Quay though...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Markcheese wrote: »
    Saw the demolition company signs on the the Penrose Quay buildings yesterday, but hadn't realized they'd started...
    There was diggers working in hogan's Quay though...

Site clearance started in Horgans Quay on the 15th of September and is expected to take 26 weeks! We won’t see proper construction on site until the middle of next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'm unable to load any scanned files from the planning site at the moment.. does anyone have any images of Penrose Dock or Horgan's Quay from the North side?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

who_me wrote: »
    I'm unable to load any scanned files from the planning site at the moment.. does anyone have any images of Penrose Dock or Horgan's Quay from the North side?

There is a good youtube video that flies around all sides of the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyF8RoZ4sgE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

snotboogie wrote: »

There's been a lot of opening dates for Tramore Valley but of course one of them will be right! Sometime.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

opus wrote: »
    There's been a lot of opening dates for Tramore Valley but of course one of them will be right! Sometime.....

Ha, I think I'll believe it when I see it... Especially when they're only really talking about what they want to do...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Pitcairn wrote: »
    There is a good youtube video that flies around all sides of the building.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyF8RoZ4sgE
    While the structure is nearly the same, there's been many many changes to the exterior since that video was made. Looks very different from the outside now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Pics from top of 85 south mall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Student Accommodation:
    Gainstar Limited Partnership's Coca-Cola site (484 beds) on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened?
    Permission for modifications to the student accommodation development permitted under Cork City Council Ref.'s 15/36663 and 17/37329... to include: Omission of eastern vehicular access and basement level car parking (25 no. spaces); reorganisation of car parking to provide a total of 8 no. car parking spaces at surface level, provision of additional bicycle parking areas, extension to common areas at ground floor level due to the removal of stairs and lifts to basement, provision of additional plant to lower roof level, all associated plan and elevational changes, and all ancillary development. The student accommodation will be used as tourist/visitor accommodation outside of academic term times.

http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1838086/0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

The road outside Wilton is an actual disgrace. They are doing “roadworks” for the past few weeks but it’s been made worse. The tarmac they placed down isn’t smooth, it’s bumpy and there isn’t any border around it so it’s chipping away. There’s lots of random hills in it and drops. They made the lanes smaller and tighter so you really have to watch where your going, the cycle lane they placed isn’t bad (besides the bumps and drops in it aswell!) but the beginning and end to the entrance of the cycle lane is loose and already chipping away, and there’s more then that. Only takes a visit to see it. I’m talking about the parts of the road that are complete (and have all the barriers removed etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You sure it's the final layer of tarmac? The height of drains should be a giveaway, whether they're flush or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Renovations on St Vincents bridge are well under way.

463930.jpg
    The road outside Wilton is an actual disgrace. They are doing “roadworks” for the past few weeks but it’s been made worse. The tarmac they placed down isn’t smooth, it’s bumpy and there isn’t any border around it so it’s chipping away. There’s lots of random hills in it and drops. They made the lanes smaller and tighter so you really have to watch where your going, the cycle lane they placed isn’t bad (besides the bumps and drops in it aswell!) but the beginning and end to the entrance of the cycle lane is loose and already chipping away, and there’s more then that. Only takes a visit to see it. I’m talking about the parts of the road that are complete (and have all the barriers removed etc).

Was there for the first time in ~2 months on Monday evening driving for Foodcloud, what exactly is being done? It wasn't that bad before as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

TheChizler wrote: »
    You sure it's the final layer of tarmac? The height of drains should be a giveaway, whether they're flush or not.

Yep fairly sure. All barriers are down, grass seed planted and road re opened. The connection between the old and new is shocking and no liquid tarmac placed down to connect them. Drains are under the tarmac.
    opus wrote: »

Was there for the first time in ~2 months on Monday evening driving for Foodcloud, what exactly is being done? It wasn't that bad before as far as I remember.

No idea really, multiple things? Looks like the added a bike lane, some new grass and messed up the road and a new center piece which is wider. Don’t understand really.

Currently walking down it and it’s not great. There’s massive lumps of tarmac on the edge of footpaths to make a ramp up to then, rather then just lowering the concrete and raising it again which is usual.

Now that the docklands developments are - slowly - starting to take off; is there any chance of the Marina Commercial Park redevelopment being revived?

Presumably it'd still be dependent on the Water St. bridge, which AFAIK isn't happening any time soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Strategic Housing Development gone into An Bord Pleanala for 100 apartments across the road from the Elysian

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2018/new/NewCasesWeekending%2012-10-2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

marno21 wrote: »
    Strategic Housing Development gone into An Bord Pleanala for 100 apartments across the road from the Elysian

I note also number 2 on that list - "Construction of 3-storey apartment building consisting of 15 no. residential units and all ancillary site development works" - this is very near to where I live; can't see it being approved without a lot of objection. Apartments there would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

leahyl wrote: »
    this is very near to where I live; can't see it being approved without a lot of objection. Apartments there would be a disaster.

Apartments in the city center would be a disaster??????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

CHealy wrote: »
    Apartments in the city center would be a disaster??????:confused:
    In Mayfield I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

TheChizler wrote: »
    In Mayfield I think.

See that now, apologies leahyl.

• Advertisement

Interesting. That's where AR Brownlows and a tyre shop are at the moment?

Nearly a bit surprised it's "only" 100 apartments there, given the size of nearby developments. Probably the biggest problem with that area is that all the nearby roads are wide, busy, crucial traffic routes. Even though it's very central, it's far from ideal for foot-traffic.

I know I'm talking pie-in-the-sky here, but I'd love to see some innovative thinking for new developments like these. Wouldn't it be great if developments included pedestrian 'air bridges' across the roads at 1st floor level so traffic isn't disrupted? (Helps in the event of flooding too!) And if done right, they could be a nice feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Now that the docklands developments are - slowly - starting to take off; is there any chance of the Marina Commercial Park redevelopment being revived?

Presumably it'd still be dependent on the Water St. bridge, which AFAIK isn't happening any time soon.

For some reason, the water street bridge project seems to have been de-prioritized in favor of the eastern gateway bridge. This to me seems illogical because it will promote development at the wrong end of the Docklands. There is sufficient development capacity and limited demand and this should be concentrated between the city centre and the heart of the Docklands [up to marina commercial park]. The eastern gateway bridge may have the effect of accommodating lots of isolated and dispersed pockets of development remote from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

That is not a submitted application yet, but a record of formal consultation in advance of a planning application being submitted.

mire wrote: »
    For some reason, the water street bridge project seems to have been de-prioritized in favor of the eastern gateway bridge. This to me seems illogical because it will promote development at the wrong end of the Docklands. There is sufficient development capacity and limited demand and this should be concentrated between the city centre and the heart of the Docklands [up to marina commercial park]. The eastern gateway bridge may have the effect of accommodating lots of isolated and dispersed pockets of development remote from the city centre.

Yeah. There have been a couple of massively ambitious proposals (Atlantic Quarter, and the Marina Commercial Park redevelopment) but both would have been fairly isolated away from the city centre or existing commercial/residential areas, or even main traffic routes.

I think what we're seeing now is a much easier & more common-sense approach; with development growing 'organically' out from the city centre. At some point though, one or both bridges are going to be needed - and the Water Street seems the more logical to go first since it's closer to the city centre and the new upstream developments. I don't think the Eastern Gateway bridge would help much in getting new developments to start East of Victoria Road, the Water Street bridge certainly might.

Yeah. There have been a couple of massively ambitious proposals (Atlantic Quarter, and the Marina Commercial Park redevelopment) but both would have been fairly isolated away from the city centre or existing commercial/residential areas, or even main traffic routes.

I think what we're seeing now is a much easier & more common-sense approach; with development growing 'organically' out from the city centre. At some point though, one or both bridges are going to be needed - and the Water Street seems the more logical to go first since it's closer to the city centre and the new upstream developments. I don't think the Eastern Gateway bridge would help much in getting new developments to start East of Victoria Road, the Water Street bridge certainly might.

The Atlantic Quarter has already been sold off to Dublin property developers. I'd imagine that will be the next major docklands announcement.

The Atlantic Quarter has already been sold off to Dublin property developers. I'd imagine that will be the next major docklands announcement.

Hah. Well, if that's true then ignore everything I said previously. That would help explain the reasoning behind prioritising the Eastern Gateway bridge.

At the same time, I'd be a bit doubtful. At that end of the docklands you'd really need either the Gateway bridge or Centre Park Rd. to be done. I read previously Centre Park Rd. supposedly needs to be raised by 3m (!?!?) due to the risk of flooding and to cover/'cap' the hazardous substances which have seeped into the ground at those industrial sites. That seems a ridiculous figure to me. Even if that were practical, how about the bordering sites?

For those reasons, anything at that location seems more like a long-term plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

Hah. Well, if that's true then ignore everything I said previously. That would help explain the reasoning behind prioritising the Eastern Gateway bridge.

At the same time, I'd be a bit doubtful. At that end of the docklands you'd really need either the Gateway bridge or Centre Park Rd. to be done. I read previously Centre Park Rd. supposedly needs to be raised by 3m (!?!?) due to the risk of flooding and to cover/'cap' the hazardous substances which have seeped into the ground at those industrial sites. That seems a ridiculous figure to me. Even if that were practical, how about the bordering sites?

The big issue with residential development on the City end of the Docklands is the Goulding’s site which is a Seveso site meaning no residential development within a 500 meter radius (I think it’s 500 meters). So the Páirc Ui Chaoimh side of the Docklands is the only option for residential for awhile.

They paid way over the odds for the site, with a number of investors bidding. I have zero inside knowledge but i'd imagine it would have a much harder time selling if the entire project was reliant on a massive city council scheme?

On a separate issue, I have heard from a number of people that the Sullivan's Quay hotel/office won't go ahead until the Events Centre is given the extra funds and full planning permission. Could be just a rumour but it makes more sense than the "archaeological work" line I've also heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

There's something fairly massive within that list, 6th entry down:

Proposed Celtic Interconnector to facilitate an electrical link enabling the movement of electricity between Ireland and France via a connection point from EastCork.

Another door of opportunity opened up by Brexit and further chance to distance ourselves from the Brits and their vested interests of control.

Very welcome along with the M28 and relocation of the port, to completely bypass whatever will be left of the uk in the next 25 years.

• Advertisement

They paid way over the odds for the site, with a number of investors bidding. I have zero inside knowledge but i'd imagine it would have a much harder time selling if the entire project was reliant on a massive city council scheme?

Hopefully something goes ahead anyway. I just don't see how it can. You'd be building at the end of a fairly run-down industrial estate, no bridge yet, effectively one main road. Would love to be proved wrong!!

Any chance they could just resurrect the old Atlantic Quarter plans? I really like the towers at the Eastern end, and the bridge (was going to be the "biggest" swing bridge in Europe?) etc...

Nostalgia...
    On a separate issue, I have heard from a number of people that the Sullivan's Quay hotel/office won't go ahead until the Events Centre is given the extra funds and full planning permission. Could be just a rumour but it makes more sense than the "archaeological work" line I've also heard.

Jesus, that sounds like a shake-down. Between underestimated the cost of the event centre, the €12m 'budgeting error' in the Port of Cork, and now this? Sounds very shady.

Advertisement