Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

no.8 wrote: »
    Excellent post Snotboogie.

However one striking issue I noticed (as a blow-in from another county), is the absolute lack of public transportation infrastructure foreseen for the region. Having lived in several cities in a number of countries, I have to say the Cork city area is poorly served in terms of local transport. Essentially, we've gone backwards. A silver lining would be the improved utilisation of the commuter railway line from Kent to Midleton/Cobh with the addition of at least Tivoli train station (together with the gateway bridge). Transport to the airport needs to be improved as well with more frequent buses.

Other than that, it's looking up for Cork.

Thankfully, and rather accidentally, the useable brownfield sites in Cork are close to both the train station and the bus station. Monard, Tivoli and Dunkettle will be very attractive places to live for renters and homeowners alike if 10000 jobs are added/moved to the quay areas. It’s great to see the likes of Clearstream moving from the airport business park.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

marno21 wrote: »
    The NTA are finalising a Cork Transport Strategy (I believe a draft will be published for public consutlation shortly), similar to Dublin's one which is available here: https://www.nationaltransport.ie/planning-policy/greater-dublin-areatransport-strategy-2016-2035/

This will be a long term multi year strategy for developing public transport, as there is currently none in Cork.

Wasn't this supposed to be published as part of the Tivoli and South Docks plans sometime during the summer? Not a peep about any of these plans since other than possibly "coming soon". Future planning in this country is such a slow and frustrating process.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

Student Accommodation:
    Gainstar Limited Partnership's Coca-Cola site (484 beds) on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened?

Great post. Looks like Gainstar has put in new planning to modify the permission they already have.
    http://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1838086/0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,388 ✭✭✭ofcork

Any info on a housing development planned for out past ballyvolane?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Crows Nest to have contractor appointed in December

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1059421846972567553

• Advertisement

That's one stunningly ugly design

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I actually love it. I know I should hate but I can’t. I think it’s because it’s at least different. I think quirky architecture can make a city more interesting and that’ll be in guide books in 10 years.

It’s not as funky as the dancing house in Prague ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_House
    ... but it brings it to my mind in some way.

I think that this is far enough outside the city centre and its heritage that we can afford to be playful for student accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Fits right in with the entire area, which has all the architectural grace of a box of Lego bricks spread across the floor.

To be honest though, I kinda like the design. It has at least some quirks, and is not just a set of smooth facades. Looking forward to see those go up.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

MrDerp wrote: »
    I actually love it. I know I should hate but I can’t. I think it’s because it’s at least different. I think quirky architecture can make a city more interesting and that’ll be in guide books in 10 years.

I like it as well, a big improvement on the existing ugly student accommodation that's been built near-by. Victoria Mills is the worst in my opinion, looks like it was built out of toilet bricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I kinda like it too, to be honest; it's a bit different and quirky. I would like to see it from another angle (from the North side, particularly), as it goes 'back' a lot further than I thought. It looks quite slim 'n' svelte from this angle, but it's much wider East-West.

I think this was a SHD application, can you view old applications on their site?

• Advertisement

The computer renders of these designs always look better than the reality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

who_me wrote: »
    I kinda like it too, to be honest; it's a bit different and quirky. I would like to see it from another angle (from the North side, particularly), as it goes 'back' a lot further than I thought. It looks quite slim 'n' svelte from this angle, but it's much wider East-West.

I think this was a SHD application, can you view old applications on their site?
    More renders here, can't find anything on the ABP site past 2015 or before current applications.

http://www.mcculloughmulvin.com/projects/crows-nest-student-accommodation-ucc

TheChizler wrote: »
    More renders here, can't find anything on the ABP site past 2015 or before current applications.

http://www.mcculloughmulvin.com/projects/crows-nest-student-accommodation-ucc

It's brick work and not crappy panels?
    Hate it a bit less now

It's brick work and not crappy panels?
    Hate it a bit less now
    Reminds me of the new bit at Nano Nagle Place/Architecture School.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

"Work will begin this spring on a new 600-bed student apartment complex on the former Coca-Cola bottling plant on the Carrigrohane Straight Road after the development was acquired by a UK development company.

Future Generation, based in London, has acquired the former cola factory, to create a flagship 600-bed accommodation scheme.

Work on the scheme is expected to start in Spring 2019 completing in time for the 2021 academic year."

465635.jpg

465636.jpg

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Former-Cork-Coca-Cola-plant-is-acquired-by-UK-student-apartment-developer-062afe81-d738-43bf-bace-865e44bd89d1-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Honestly i think we should go back to Georgian 3 story red brick buildings.. keep the 'image' of the city :)

(Obviously sarcasm)

Really though this is a disgrace. ''It will destroy the Georgian era bank building'' ah go away, I saw an ancient church in New York surrounded by sky scrapers and it looked amazing, really made it stand out. The city needs to differentiate itself so they can go away back up to Dublin and have fun there.

Edit: Infact heres the church. bCyHEgx.jpg I mean yeah im not expecting Cork to become New York but saying it will ruin the look of that building is just crazy talk.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Yeah, it will ruin the place if we change this.......
    https://goo.gl/maps/XgNWm9Fj2Hn

Yeah, it will ruin the place if we change this.......
    https://goo.gl/maps/XgNWm9Fj2Hn
    And this is the view they're saying will be ruined. I don't see it personally...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8957472,-8.4691996,3a,90y,17.03h,103.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_A9gOnt7SSdGft0Qok8obA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

"The appeal will take at least 18 weeks for An Bord Pleanála to decide."
    At least 18 weeks? Over 4 months?
    Ideally once the submission comes from An Taisce it should immediately be binned (such is their credibility at this stage). Serial objectors is a suitable name for them.

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the merits of the objection, why on Earth should it take 18 weeks? Do they need to fly in an expert from Mars to take a look at the view?

There's no benefit to anyone (developer, or objector) in having the decision taking that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Regardless of what anyone thinks about the merits of the objection, why on Earth should it take 18 weeks? Do they need to fly in an expert from Mars to take a look at the view?

There's no benefit to anyone (developer, or objector) in having the decision taking that long.

Agree with this, is it not a simple read their objection and then just accept or decline? How does that take at least 18 months?

Would they ever feck off. What bloody heritage buildings are down there??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

In fairness there is an absolute fortune of developments in front of ABP at the moment, this will take longer than 18 weeks, I’d say 5-6 months. Time Square seemed to be saying that this had a 4-6 month phase before work and after planning too, so this is probably set back to 2020. Unfortunately this also impacts the 40 storey....

snotboogie wrote: »
    In fairness there is an absolute fortune of developments in front of ABP at the moment, this will take longer than 18 weeks, I’d say 5-6 months. Time Square seemed to be saying that this had a 4-6 month phase before work and after planning too, so this is probably set back to 2020. Unfortunately this also impacts the 40 storey....

I could understand the 40-storey tower taking ages, that's going to be an exceptionally difficult build on an extremely constricted site, preserving the quay walls and nearby buildings, exiting onto one of the busiest routes in the city centre, and probably faced with a great many objections given the building's visbility.

But THIS objection is just "it doesn't look acceptable from this viewpoint". I can't fathom how anyone could be so busy they couldn't walk to that location, take some photos, then have a 10 minute meeting where they discuss if that's acceptable. Can anyone actually be so busy they don't have 30 minutes to spare in the next 18 weeks?

I'm sure that's not how the process works, my question is why isn't that how the process works? Would having a hour long discussion, or a day-long discussion actually improve the process in any way?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I could understand the 40-storey tower taking ages, that's going to be an exceptionally difficult build on an extremely constricted site, preserving the quay walls and nearby buildings, exiting onto one of the busiest routes in the city centre, and probably faced with a great many objections given the building's visbility.

But THIS objection is just "it doesn't look acceptable from this viewpoint". I can't fathom how anyone could be so busy they couldn't walk to that location, take some photos, then have a 10 minute meeting where they discuss if that's acceptable. Can anyone actually be so busy they don't have 30 minutes to spare in the next 18 weeks?

I'm sure that's not how the process works, my question is why isn't that how the process works? Would having a hour long discussion, or a day-long discussion actually improve the process in any way?

I think it’s ridiculous that this is in front of ABP; An Taisce (among others) made their objections, the City Council considered them and the bid, told Times Square to resubmit a new application, which they did and then the City Council reconsidered and gave approval. That is the system working as it should. Appealing to An Bord Pleanala after is abusing the system. Maybe there should be a quick pre approval system because these appeals should be kept for exceptional circumstances, not as a tactic to stop a development by slowing it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Would they ever feck off. What bloody heritage buildings are down there??

The lovely views been blocked of the junkies I believe is the real reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

'Cork is going to be the fastest growing city over the next twenty years'..........ffs.

The O'Sullivan brothers will be lucky to get off the ground in the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

18months after an objection submission 'hours before the deadline'

Fúck An Taisce. As snotboogie mentioned, going to An Bord Pleanala here, whilst in their rights, is a large hole in the process in Irish planning. If there's pressure on the system to process these objections, leading to a delay that could actually surpass the build time on a project, then why isn't the system in place being reviewed?

Advertisement