Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Lovely new footpaths by The Marina already becoming a free for all with illegal parking. Including on the tactile paving. They'll be in bits in no time.

Only opened about two weeks. Pathetic really.

Moxy coming along nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

imagine if parking regulations were enforced

same lark in the Marina carpark, people parking just around the corner rather than going down a bit further to a parking spot. They are actually parking on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like how the old frontage is integrated. The building is stepped back to allow it room to exist. Unlike the awful example of the integrated old building across the river in the half moon street development where the old building is completely overwhelmed buy the new one imposed on top of it.

Then, further along the quay is another good example by vibes and scribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Was down there yesterday. I like the new access road into PUC, but it will 100% be abused by people too lazy to park further down in the actual car park on the other side. There's one massive parking spot, presumably for bus parking, that will almost guaranteed, be full of cars and never have a bus in it.

Least they could do is put double-yellow lines there just around the corner. Not that it would stop them from dumping the cars there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

I agree with the stepping back of the facade. Very well thought out. The grey top section looks a bit dull in my humble opinion. It's a pity there wasn't a bit more glazing, large sections of glass rather than individual windows/doors

Should have probably known it was a waste of time asking for seating here but I think it's such wasted potential... one of the nicest areas in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

An interesting one - planning approved for conversion of offices on South Mall into 17 apartments

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/arid-41418757.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I agree. Surely they could come up with a reasonable solution. But, no...

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭what the hell!

The council seem to be doing something with the area across from their depot in Blackpool. Where they park up all the vans. The wall was being knocked this morning when I was passing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

27 apartments are the plan for this site I believe. It's on Old Market Place, just off Blarney street.

Parklet on South Mall has returned to being parking for the Imperial

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

• Registered Users Posts: 16,989 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

While I'm not in favour of more space given over to parking, those parklets were gone very shabby looking. They were a nice idea at the time but they'd require constant maintenance which we're not very good at in this city, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭what the hell!

The tidy towns have started maintaining the one in Blackpool and it looks well. But where it is is pointless. I don’t know why you’d want to sit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,258 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Parklets look cheap, slapped together things and turn into weathered, peeling litter bins if not looked after, which they seldom are.

Would rather proper public seating than things made out of pallets and splinters.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Yea, valid points I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

They are doing a great job in Blackpool but still rubbish dumped on Thomas Davis street Saturday night after they having cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The siting of those parklets left a lot to be desired , there was one in balincolig - next to a piece of paving wide enough that it'd be a square , glanmire was hiding near supervalue , theres actual small parks either side of south mall , the douglas one got very shabby ,

As usual the intention was great - but they need care -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I think I posted about it when they were first unveiled. They were a cheap photo op for councillors, very little thought into their design or location and little to no maintenance. There must have been a thousand tweets from councillors, local journos and politicians when they were first unveiled, universally praising how fab-lass they were. At the same time the central government has been trying to throw 3 billion of transport investment into the city but city council has missed every deadline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭DylanQuestion

Has anyone ever actually used them?

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭PreCocious

The one outside the Imperial was very popular for people having their coffee or stronger beverage.

Maintenance as usual isn't a thing with Cork City Council. Saw one in Belfast today and they looked great.

No reason why we can't have nice things, with a city council that gives a damn..someday maybe.

It was very well used.

Contacted a cllr and was told that the new owners of the Imperial said they wouldn't manage the upkeep. So it was taken away. To where, who knows.

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest that City Council don't want to maintain them - even if it's metres away from City Hall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I've sat on the one outside the Quay CoOp a few times when the weather was nice for a lunchtime snack & once on the one on Popes Quay for a phone call when I was walking past it.

Seating on Grand Parade today

The 400,000 euro CityTrees have worn Impeccably poorly, and the birds dirt looks to have been well established there for weeks or months. Meanwhile multiple council vans parked across the plaza by the library.

The broken seating at corner of South Mall and Grand Parade has even made it to Google

Streetview!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Broken by grown adults crowding on them for a vantage point on St Patricks day. Saw it happen. Needs to be replaced obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do CCC actually employ people for this type of general maintenance? General handyman skills? It seems everything no matter how small it is has to go through a procurement or tender process where an external company does the work, inflating costs and slowing everything down. You get farces like where south gate bridge was powerhosed on the graffiti sections only and not an inch more until a new contract was negotiated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Norrie Rugger Head

That's government outsourcing policy. Hire nobody, rely on "The Market"

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement