Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

The Penrose Dock crew really seem to be on the clock... that site is being cleared out incredibly quick. They were working there like crazy at 9pm last night. That area (Alfred St. / Railway St.) is going to be transformed in a year's time.

On another note - was just passing by the rear of the bus station earlier, and am wondering how that hotel construction is going to work. At the Eastern end, the wall has been completely knocked, it's going to be hell trying to build that without infringing to some degree onto the (incredibly busy!) bus bay access at the rear of the station.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,279 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

who_me wrote: »
    The Penrose Dock crew really seem to be on the clock... that site is being cleared out incredibly quick. They were working there like crazy at 9pm last night. That area (Alfred St. / Railway St.) is going to be transformed in a year's time.

On another note - was just passing by the rear of the bus station earlier, and am wondering how that hotel construction is going to work. At the Eastern end, the wall has been completely knocked, it's going to be hell trying to build that without infringing to some degree onto the (incredibly busy!) bus bay access at the rear of the station.

That whole area will be a nightmare for parking for the next while. I go to yoga in penrose wharf and the parking situation there is disastrous as it is since they changed the layout; probably gonna be even worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »

I personally would prefer some rock blasting north of Carrigaline but a certain few people disagree

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

In a country in the grip of a housing crisis, an Taisce are the enemy of those seeking to secure half decent affordable accommodation. Time and time again they have been shown to be anti development.

But the like of An Taisce members are composed mostly of mortgage-free homeowners and/or the beneficiaries of inherited wealth, they don’t particularly care about those struggling to house themselves. I’d love to how many are landlords.

I hope more and more specious objections by An Taisce are rejected by An Bord Pleanala. Holding up housing supply in times like these is not far short of criminal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Carrs Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Wasn't this supposed to be opening in January?? The council's record on public parks is absolutely embarrassing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Marina Park finally going ahead?

About bloody time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Marina Park finally going ahead?

About bloody time.

It'll probably be finished 2 years late, and opened 5 years after that... And then need millions extra spent to access the park...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

Did I miss something, and is Tramore Valley Park now fully open? If it's not, how on earth can they consider starting work on another park?

blindsider wrote: »
    Did I miss something, and is Tramore Valley Park now fully open? If it's not, how on earth can they consider starting work on another park?

It's not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

It's not

TVP always seems to be opening next year sometime although this comment from one of the councillors casts doubt on that.

https://twitter.com/cllrkmac/status/1063162596591853569

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Could they knock down and rebuild the bus station while they're nearby? :D what an eyesore!

Looking forward to all these new developments!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Could they knock down and rebuild the bus station while they're nearby? :D what an eyesore!

Looking forward to all these new developments!

Maybe in 20 years or so. Not before then.

It's a building of its time, not particularly beautiful, but nothing wrong with it either..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Maybe in 20 years or so. Not before then.
    An Taisce will object so say 20.5 years

Took a walk around that neck of the woods at lunchtime today, some amount of building action going on there! Hard to imagine just how different it's going to look in a year or two's time.

466413.jpg
    466414.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

So I heard today on the rumour mill that JCD has done a deal for the site bounded by Carey Tool Hire and the Sextant and attached buildings!

OCP and JCD scrapping it out for the quays!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

MrDerp wrote: »
    So I heard today on the rumour mill that JCD has done a deal for the site bounded by Carey Tool Hire and the Sextant and attached buildings!

The old railway station? Is that not part of the current development?

The old railway station? Is that not part of the current development?

Some was I think, depending on where the station ends and sheds begin.

This is the opposite corner of the site, where the sextent pub and carey's tool hire entrances are on Albert Quay and Albert St, and including the carey's site itself facing the corner. I'm not clear on if the last row of houses on Albert St, or the Carey's site near the roundabout on Victoria Rd are involved. I'm sure it'll be in d'examiner soon anyway.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Report-on-Luas-for-Cork-must-be-published-without-delay-a43449d2-82f1-4171-9159-ab3221944fab-ds

The monthly article on the Cork Transport plan which once again promises that it will be published “next month”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Report-on-Luas-for-Cork-must-be-published-without-delay-a43449d2-82f1-4171-9159-ab3221944fab-ds

The monthly article on the Cork Transport plan which once again promises that it will be published “next month”

I've written this transport plan off as a "believe when I see it" type thing at this stage. In the same bracket as the Event Centre.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I've written this transport plan off as a "believe when I see it" type thing at this stage. In the same bracket as the Event Centre.

That's a bit harsh, the plan will be wonderful, expensive and lying around for years...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

MrDerp wrote: »

Sorry if I'm being an idiot here, I'm trying to figure out the site you mean.. Do you mean the Western end of that block, including the Sextant, Carey Tool Hire and the car park between them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Would assume the Sextant will be maintained with the Carey Tools site being redeveloped?

Spotted in the Echo that the development at the Good Shepherd site looks like it going ahead, badly needed in my opinion.

Residents can't risk €100k judicial review costs to fight housing project at Good Shepherd Convent site

• Advertisement

Would assume the Sextant will be maintained with the Carey Tools site being redeveloped?

Not sure. It’s not on a list of protected structures, just on the recommended list of buildings of Ireland. Development plan gives vague reference to using architectural features where possible, but also refers to the block being zoned for large floor plate offices.

My guess is that the whole corner will be built out, with the sextant knocked

Advertisement