Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Pity the Sextant might go. its good to have a few pubs around that end of town. Would be happy enough to see the back of Careys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Would be a shame to see the Sextant knocked given how much additional brownfield is available.

Will be interesting to see if anyone is proposing demolition for the Goldberg’s side with various terraced buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

opus wrote: »
    Spotted in the Echo that the development at the Good Shepherd site looks like it going ahead, badly needed in my opinion.

Residents can't risk €100k judicial review costs to fight housing project at Good Shepherd Convent site

Good news: Much needed homes are going to be developed!

Bad news: Horrible, copy-pasta bland blocks, surrounding (what's left of) a beautiful, interesting building.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

who_me wrote: »
    Good news: Much needed homes are going to be developed!

Bad news: Horrible, copy-pasta bland blocks, surrounding (what's left of) a beautiful, interesting building.

Looks like the main building will keep it's prominence on the hill side though, assuming the downhill blocks in the render are sufficiently low-rise (and they appear to be) to avoid obscuring the view of the convent from the west of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Would be a shame to see the Sextant knocked given how much additional brownfield is available.

Will be interesting to see if anyone is proposing demolition for the Goldberg’s side with various terraced buildings.

I was very surprised it's not protected to be honest. There's a weird preamble on the city council's protected structure page which talks about "additional structures recommended by the minister for protection"

So it appears as a building of architectural significant/interest nationally, but the council has a final say on what to protect? Seems rife for abuse.

That said, I'm not sure how the building could be incorporated standalone. If it were part of a larger terrace then a setup like Lavitt's quay might have worked, with at least a fit out for the sextant footprint to be turned into a smarter bar/restaurant or something.

• Advertisement

As a pub the sextant is a goldmine.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Augeo wrote: »

That's the other thing, and its only going to get better for them, the Idle Hour, and Goldbergs, with all the dockland construction.

Its a strange one.

Meursault wrote: »
    That's the other thing, and its only going to get better for them, the Idle Hour, and Goldbergs, with all the dockland construction.

Its a strange one.

Yeah, was just walking past that area yesterday and thinking how the docklands developments will be well stocked with office space (and hopefully apartments) but there's likely to be an initial lack of shops/restaurants/pubs etc. in that area of the city.

Within about 100m of The Sextant you have several new-ish developments/in progress / planned: The Elysian, One Albert Quay, Navigation Square, The Prism, (the Custom House tower?), the 10-storey building behind Navigation Square, the proposed building on the AR Brownlow site behind The Elysian etc.. Make it 200m and you have a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Augeo wrote: »

Plus as a pub it has a character that most of the samey same pubs in the city lack

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very ambitious look at 2030 in Cork from Cork Chamber President Bill O'Connell

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/irelands-most-competitive-and-vibrant-city-cork-chamber-outlines-vision-for-the-future-886829.html

Would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

marno21 wrote: »

A lot of pie in the sky stuff there especially mention of the events centre being up and running. In 2030 there will most likely still be toing and froing about it being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Billa works for Apple, surprising (or telling) there was no mention of the North Ring in front of Leo. Meanwhile:
    https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Construction-to-proceed-on-new-homes-on-the-Sunbeam-site-bfcd1961-3a10-407d-9c5a-967017a8b2e3-ds

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A lot of pie in the sky stuff there especially mention of the events centre being up and running. In 2030 there will most likely still be toing and froing about it being built.
    Well if we can't get the event centre up and running I fear for the Luas.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Most of that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I reckon that tram or Brt'll be up and running long before bam put up the event centre on the beamish site.. (just like the O'Callaghan properties commitment to building an event centre timed out years ago),
    . . . I hope the quay walls reference (I assume to the opw flood plan) gets quietly ditched in favour of something cheaper and more effective, (not that I'd give out about restoring the quay walls)..

And probably the quickest way to get more people living in the city centre , and keep the character of the centre would be to stop allowing the upstairs of commercial units and shops becoming derelict, how many 3 and 4 storey buildings in Cork have had the stairs removed to avoid rates?
    None of it would be fancy big development plans but probably worth while..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Prism-plan-is-defended-by-City-Halls-head-of-planning-e5f616d9-e33d-4430-9131-d674c0087f78-ds

The council have come out in defence of the Prism building. An Taisce are happy with the site remaining empty as they want nothing to change, how these cowboys get government funding is a mystery. If we listened to them nothing would ever get built, no progress and stuck in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Prism-plan-is-defended-by-City-Halls-head-of-planning-e5f616d9-e33d-4430-9131-d674c0087f78-ds

The council have come out in defence of the Prism building. An Taisce are happy with the site remaining empty as they want nothing to change, how these cowboys get government funding is a mystery. If we listened to them nothing would ever get built, no progress and stuck in the past.

But we'd have the vistas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I tell ya, we are lucky to have someone like Pat Ledwidge in our corner for the good of Cork. He completely rebuffed AT's objections in a 5 line paragraph, not the first time he's called them out either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

They shouldn't receive any funding whatsoever. They have a set agenda, and they are a joke at this stage. Even if they have a valid point, the constant objections is reminiscent of the boy that cry's wolf. Can't take them seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

CHealy wrote: »
    I tell ya, we are lucky to have someone like Pat Ledwidge in our corner for the good of Cork. He completely rebuffed AT's objections in a 5 line paragraph, not the first time he's called them out either.
    True, his point about the current state of the city remaining so is prominent. The comparison to the boy who cried wolf is correct in this instance - this is a difficult site, that has been unused for years, gets the opportunity to be developed and An Taisce object - whatever about them fulfilling their role, this is complete overkill on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Was out for an early morning jog today & spotted that work has kicked off at the red place that's been derelict for as long as I can remember at the bottom of Sundays Well Road. Hope they put in good flood barriers :)

466927.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Always loved that house, it was sold there about 3 years back, I think I read it was being converted into two houses.

Yeah, great site: South-facing on the river, looking across to Fitzgerald Park / The Mardyke, walled in garden.

I'll start saving my coppers and will be able to afford it by the time I'm 1,231*.

* Inflation permitting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But we'd have the vistas though.

I'm always curious about what these 'vistas' of derelict sites and crumbling buildings are supposed to offer exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I seen a clip from RTE news from circa 1987 on facebook about the development of Dublin's Custom's House Quay, the area no known as the IFSC. The reporter stands in a grey wasteland of rubble summarising An Taisce's argument as to why this area should not be redeveloped. It's hard to imagine what Dublin would be like now if everything east of the customs house was a derelict wasteland as mandated by AT at the time. The arguments they present are the same as now:

-vistas of decaying ruins and evidence of past great civilisations
    -high rise is bad
    -it could be seen from some arbitrary location where there was a georgian house present

How has this organisation not been defunded.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Just saw that the CUBS opened today and it mentions that UCC is on the lookout for another city centre location.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/uccs-bank-of-ideas-to-train-new-generation-of-executives-887959.html

My guess is that they'll occupy the brewery counting house development, they changed the planning for office/education use from the cinemas.

calnand wrote: »
    Just saw that the CUBS opened today and it mentions that UCC is on the lookout for another city centre location.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/uccs-bank-of-ideas-to-train-new-generation-of-executives-887959.html

My guess is that they'll occupy the brewery counting house development, they changed the planning for office/education use from the cinemas.

Parnell Place really looks great now. Hopefully the hotel by the bus station gets the go-ahead too.

I thought the cinemas had already been dropped from the Beamish proposals (why not, everything else has!) but I could be wrong. The Counting House is a nicely appropriate name for a business school.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

calnand wrote: »

My guess is that they'll occupy the brewery counting house development, they changed the planning for office/education use from the cinemas.[/quote

No. Too small. Another site being considered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews//property/planning-for-198-houses-in-glenveaghs-22m-cork-deal-888672.html

Site with planning for 198 houses and space for another few hundred of medium density sold in Douglas to Glenveagh. They also purchased the unfinished Eden in Blackrock which will take 140 units.

Advertisement