Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Cork has a commuter train line, with lots of reasonably priced housing available at most stops on the line. It hasn't been embraced, we're wedded to our cars. HEnce Dunkettle interchange, North Ring Road, Ringaskiddy motorway are better supported infrastructures than any sort of public transport.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Cork has a commuter train line, with lots of reasonably priced housing available at most stops on the line. It hasn't been embraced, we're wedded to our cars. HEnce Dunkettle interchange, North Ring Road, Ringaskiddy motorway are better supported infrastructures than any sort of public transport.
    In fairness, the train line has only one stop in Cork city at Kent, and getting from Kent around the city is simply pathetic.

However, there is a lot of development going on in the city centre now, which will see more jobs in the city centre and make the train more useful. Adding more stops such as Blarney/Kilbarry/Carrigtwohill West would also be super.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You have to compare the tax rate and social charges as well. I'm not saying we pay a low tax rate, but it's not like the French. A french college of mine told me what he pays, and it's eye watering compared to here. But, in general, they get really good services. Although, it's proving to be unpopular over there with ever increasing taxes.

Yeah, I agree. In France pretty much everything seems to be subsidised to some degree, municipal stadia in every city etc.

IMO, they also have an advantage in the amount of tourism. That creates a lot of seasonal (but not necessarily rush-hour) demand for travel services. So you have the demand to justify a tram system, without the horrible overcrowded rush hour commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

CITY planners today granted planning permission for the development of a 165-bed hotel in the heart of the city. Dublin company Tetrarch Capital had submitted plans to build the seven-story budget hotel in Parnell Place in August. The project will redevelop 7-9 Parnell Place, which previously housed Flor Griffin and Mahers.
    mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpghttps://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/165-bed-Parnell-Place-hotel-granted-planning-permission-4a114793-e0b9-4a68-bd90-dda35a833ad4-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Great to hear it's got the go ahead, was this one of the many things An Taisce were objecting to for the sake of objecting?

A budget hotel on that site was always my 'If I won the lotto' business idea as it's such an ideal location.
    There are more than 1,300 additional hotel beds in various stages of planning and development in several projects throughout the city. If they are all constructed, it would increase the city's total accommodation stock by more than one-third. Currently, the city is experiencing more than 80% occupancy, according to Failte Ireland. It is an increase from 75% occupancy in 2013.

During the same period, average room prices have also increased from €68.18 in 2013 to €102.99.

It's only when your travelling a good bit, that you realise how expensive hotel rooms in Cork actually are.

There's nothing really in between the €25 hostel dorm bed (which is still very expensive for what they are) and the €100+ room.

I'd love if one of the new hotels in the city ended up as an EasyHotel or Ibis franchise, just to shake things up a bit.

I'd be fairly unfussy when booking rooms and usually go for one of the above or a Premier Inn, when I'm away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Apogee wrote: »

This is great, would be nice to see the tower next door go up too. Land around the bus station should be intensely utilised.

Apogee wrote: »

Great to see, it's one of the better proposals I've seen recently, especially retaining the old chimney in the courtyard/hall.

There's going to be a real 'hub' of hotel accommodation within about 100-200m of the train and bus stations (This and the Maldron right by the bus station, the Dean right next to the train station, the Floatel, new hotel on McCurtain St. (LV building), the redeveloped Met, the M, Jury's Inn, The Clayton.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Anyone know when Clearstream/Deutsch Dorse are to move into their new building?

zweton wrote: »
    Anyone know when Clearstream/Deutsch Dorse are to move into their new building?

I only saw internal lights on for the first time this week, I'd say the internal fit-out still is many weeks work. Their own site mentions March next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

who_me wrote: »
    Great to see, it's one of the better proposals I've seen recently, especially retaining the old chimney in the courtyard/hall.

There's going to be a real 'hub' of hotel accommodation within about 100-200m of the train and bus stations (This and the Maldron right by the bus station, the Dean right next to the train station, the Floatel, new hotel on McCurtain St. (LV building), the redeveloped Met, the M, Jury's Inn, The Clayton.

The York St hotel, Metropole, The M, Sullivan’s Quay Hotel and probably this Parnell St hotel will all be waiting for the Event Centre to start before they do. Seen on another forum that a big group of Killarney Hoteliers will be challenging the legal advice if it comes out in favour of BAM’s proposal. We could be waiting years for these to start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

I only saw internal lights on for the first time this week, I'd say the internal fit-out still is many weeks work. Their own site mentions March next year.

Know anyone working for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

snotboogie wrote: »
    The York St hotel, Metropole, The M, Sullivan’s Quay Hotel and probably this Parnell St hotel will all be waiting for the Event Centre to start before they do. Seen on another forum that a big group of Killarney Hoteliers will be challenging the legal advice if it comes out in favour of BAM’s proposal. We could be waiting years for these to start

Why do the Killarney hoteliers have a bee in their bonnet?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Government money into a competing business tourism product.

And they’ll likely have enough of a case to bring it to Europe.

INEC is owned by the gleneagle group. I’d imagine they wouldn’t be happy with tens of millions of state aid going to a live nation venue in what they would see as their market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

INEC is owned by the gleneagle group. I’d imagine they wouldn’t be happy with tens of millions of state aid going to a live nation venue in what they would see as their market.

And they kinda have a point, if it's not what was originally tendered, and looking for far more grant aid than originally agreed, it's gonna be a new deal and probably should go back to the start of the process again..
    Which is probably what bam are counting on, to either delay the project more, or scrap it to build more student accommodation or offices...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    And they kinda have a point, if it's not what was originally tendered, and looking for far more grant aid than originally agreed, it's gonna be a new deal and probably should go back to the start of the process again..
    Which is probably what bam are counting on, to either delay the project more, or scrap it to build more student accommodation or offices...

I don’t see why BAM would spend what was aparantly huge money on another planning proposal if they don’t want the project done. They could have very easily sat on their hands and said they needed to wait on the legal advice. The delay on the legal advice is very worrying though, it may suggest that unhappy parties have a case to make in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

marno21 wrote: »
    In fairness, the train line has only one stop in Cork city at Kent, and getting from Kent around the city is simply pathetic.

However, there is a lot of development going on in the city centre now, which will see more jobs in the city centre and make the train more useful. Adding more stops such as Blarney/Kilbarry/Carrigtwohill West would also be super.

Fingers crossed they don't rule out reopening the rest of the train line down to Youghal.

Would be a wonderful amenity to be able to get from the city to the beach by train, along with all the housing prospects in Youghal, not to mention boosting the town significantly. Just imagine! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Thats if they dont turn it into a greenway. The midleton line has great potential if extended and upgraded

Fingers crossed they don't rule out reopening the rest of the train line down to Youghal.

Would be a wonderful amenity to be able to get from the city to the beach by train, along with all the housing prospects in Youghal, not to mention boosting the town significantly. Just imagine! :)

It's not going to happen anytime in the next 30 years. So it's either a greenway or nothing with the route unprotected. New station planned in Midleton for massive development there, Carrigtowhill West and Tivoli are the best prospects on that line. Station at Blarney on the Dublin/Cork line.

I'm sure the biggest tourist town in the south of the country would get by just fine with Cork having an event centre so they can feck off :p Cork venue should get acts out of Dublin with a purpose built venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thats if they dont turn it into a greenway. The midleton line has great potential if extended and upgraded

If the greenway people had their way you'd be cycling all the way to Midleton from Cork. The greenway thing has its place but it's gone a bit mad now that they're looking at a route that ideally should be rail once more. There were interests within Irish Rail that didn't want to rebuild to Midleton.. they have to be forced to reopen lines as they won't do it off their own bat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If the greenway people had their way you'd be cycling all the way to Midleton from Cork. The greenway thing has its place but it's gone a bit mad now that they're looking at a route that ideally should be rail once more. There were interests within Irish Rail that didn't want to rebuild to Midleton.. they have to be forced to reopen lines as they won't do it off their own bat.
    Indeed. Remember the Midleton line reopening was proposed in the LUTS plan in 1978 and didn't actually reopen for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I'm sure the biggest tourist town in the south of the country would get by just fine with Cork having an event centre so they can feck off :p Cork venue should get acts out of Dublin with a purpose built venue.
    It's not the "having a venue" they have a problem with, it the government paying for it

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

It's not the "having a venue" they have a problem with, it the government paying for it

Don't they get enough govt money with the Healy Raes fighting their cause? Greedy pr*cks. Kilarney is infinitely better off than most towns along the west coast. Always crying the poor mouth. I dont see how an event centre located 100kms or more away is any of their business. Govt money or not.

Am ya I got that without your explanation. Thanks!!!!!

Guess all the help Killarney gets from the tax payer will have to be revoked as well so it's a level playing field! Oh wait that makes no sense either. An events centre in Cork will benefit the service industry across the city not just the event centre operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

York Street is ploughing ahead as is.

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    York Street is ploughing ahead as is.

Started? Didn't see anything last time I was up there

That seems odd to me. I mean, it makes some sense, given how much the hotel accommodation is 'suddenly' increasing across the city; but exactly how many events do people think we're going to see in the event centre? I wouldn't have thought it'd be often enough to be the crucial factor in determining whether half a dozen hotels open or not.

That seems odd to me. I mean, it makes some sense, given how much the hotel accommodation is 'suddenly' increasing across the city; but exactly how many events do people think we're going to see in the event centre? I wouldn't have thought it'd be often enough to be the crucial factor in determining whether half a dozen hotels open or not.

Look at the live nation venue in Cardiff, it gets between 10 and 15 events a month. It would be transformative tbf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Started? Didn't see anything last time I was up there

Physically started on site, no.
    Processes started, yes.

Advertisement