Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

snotboogie wrote: »
    Look at the live nation venue in Cardiff, it gets between 10 and 15 events a month. It would be transformative tbf

That number of events would utterly transform business in the city, yes. But I don't know why you're comparing this with Cardiff - just because that venue (Motorpoint Arena, I assume you're referring to?) gets that many, doesn't mean Cork also would.

MotorPoint Arena is a completely different venue to what's proposed at the Beamish site. It has a large open-floor area for trade show / expos that couldn't be accommodated in the Cork event centre, it's a theatre-style layout with very little floor space. You also have a much larger population just a short train journey away; much more so than Cork.

I'm not saying Cork absolutely won't get the same number of events, but I'd be shocked (and delighted!) if it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Round Hill Capital (Round Hill), a leading real estate investment, development and asset management firm, announces that funds advised by Round Hill and NBK Capital (NBKC) have acquired a 1 acre (0.38 ha) site with planning permission at Farranlea Road, Cork, and will immediately proceed to construct a mixed-use project including 145 purpose-built student accommodation (PBSA) beds and facilities. Round Hill and NBKC also plan the acquisition and development of further PBSA schemes in Cork, Dublin and Galway, that will deliver in excess of 1,200 beds.
    image.jpg
    https://www.irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2018/12/05/round-hill-capital-nbk-capital-acquire-first-irish-student-accommodation-development-scheme-in-cork/

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

zweton wrote: »
    Know anyone working for them?
    Friend works for them and says the word is March for the move to town. That frees up another block in the Airport Business park.
    Also said they were offered parking for circa 2k a year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    Physically started on site, no.
    Processes started, yes.

Didn't it get full planning 9 months ago? What is going on?

One million trips taken on Cork Coke Zero bike scheme
    The Coke bike scheme in Cork is said to be a phenomenal success and an extension of the scheme is currently being looked at by the National Transport Authority (NTA).

The NTA said they were “actively exploring with the city council” the idea of an expansion of the bike-sharing scheme.

Good news for our local "white elephant"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

2 housing developments gone into ABP this week:

251 residential units at Cooney's Lane, Grange
    240 (154 houses/86 apartments) residential units at Ardarostig, Bishopstown

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2018/new/NewCasesWeekending30-11-2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Regarding buses in Cork, what's the story with most bus stops not even having a printed timetable at them? The pole and the noticeboard is there, but the timetable isn't. How are we to expect tourists, elderly/those that don't use Google Maps to get times? It's kind of poor form something so basic isn't even provided. I've noticed this on a lot of bus stops too around the city.

Bus Eireann have more problems than I can count on my two hands, but to not even be able to have timetables at each stop is just unacceptable. You couldn't make it up.

See attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

If it was any other country they'd be sacked. This country has some tolerance for incompetence.

No accountability and no interest in doing things well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mardyke wrote: »
    If it was any other country they'd be sacked. This country has some tolerance for incompetence.

No accountability and no interest in doing things well.

We are content with mediocrity here. No interest in bettering facilities, we are lucky to have a pole with a sign on top let alone a timetable. The rest of Europe is light years ahead in terms of public transport.

Shur twill be grand.

We are content with mediocrity here. No interest in bettering facilities, we are lucky to have a pole with a sign on top let alone a timetable. The rest of Europe is light years ahead in terms of public transport.

Shur twill be grand.

Indeed. I see people just putting up with late or no-show buses all the time.

A bus I was due to catch yesterday just didn't show up. I was fed up of waiting after 20 mins and got a taxi instead. Apparently it was over 30 mins late according to Martin Walsh in Capwell. Traffic to blame. At 7.20pm though?

Maybe so, but to be honest, I'm sick of hearing about traffic as an excuse every time a bus is late. Fair enough the roads can be brutal but cmon. 35 minute delay on a single stretch of road from town to Douglas Village?.... At 7 in the evening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Didn't it get full planning 9 months ago? What is going on?

Tendering is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Anyone know why it's taking so long to re-do the footpaths around Patrick's Quay/bridge & Merchant's quay? Seems like they've been at this small square of footpath for going on 3 months, now. :confused: I presume they're re-doing this section in preparation for the new bridge going up in the new year?

I wonder if they'll resurface the surrounding streets when they're done with the footpaths as they're an absolute disgrace at the moment from Jury's Inn all the way to the Opera House on both sides of the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Anyone know why it's taking so long to re-do the footpaths around Patrick's Quay/bridge & Merchant's quay? Seems like they've been at this small square of footpath for going on 3 months, now. :confused: I presume they're re-doing this section in preparation for the new bridge going up in the new year?

I wonder if they'll resurface the surrounding streets when they're done with the footpaths as they're an absolute disgrace at the moment from Jury's Inn all the way to the Opera House on both sides of the river.

St. Patrick's Quay and Merchant's Quay are part of the bridge developments, which still have some way to go - they're only breaching the quay walls on either side now.

The bridge & paths renovation is taking so much time because the balustrades were disassembled, cleaned, and re-assembled, the bridge sides & quay walls cleaned (finally!!!!!) and the paths then relaid.

Taking a long time, but it's looking great so far.

Speaking of footpaths, one thing that's a pity - they've removed the pedestrian crossings on Christy Ring bridge (by the Opera House). Might seem like no big deal, but it means you can't walk along the river on the North or South quays any longer. You'd have to walk to the bridge, cross to the other side of the road, cross Emmet's Place/Carrol's Quay, then cross again to the river-side.

I assume it was done to ease traffic flow, but still..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Just heard on Newstalk while ago that Eoghan Murphy said that height limits for tall buildings in Cities will be scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Just heard on Newstalk while ago that Eoghan Murphy said that height limits for tall buildings in Cities will be scrapped.

Not if An Taisce have anything to say about it! :pac:

Not if An Taisce have anything to say about it! :pac:

If they can't complain about heights anymore he's going to put them under serious pressure. Roll on the 47 storey Port Peninsula.

In fairness the Cork City Council have been extremely accommodating for high rise. They’ve approved Sullivan’s Quay, The Prism and The Crows Nest despite multiple objections on all proposals due to height.

Looking forward to seeing all these new developments! Cork can only get better from here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

In fairness the Cork City Council have been extremely accommodating for high rise. They’ve approved Sullivan’s Quay, The Prism and The Crows Nest despite multiple objections on all proposals due to height.

The new rules further help the council and ABP in approving these type of schemes even when an Taisce throw their toys out of the plan when a building has more than one storey!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The new rules further help the council and ABP in approving these type of schemes even when an Taisce throw their toys out of the plan when a building has more than one storey!
    Exactly. People always think first of Dublin but removing height restrictions won't do much given the dinosaur mentality within the Council itself up there. Thankfully Cork has a different mindset which this change will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

marno21 wrote: »
    Exactly. People always think first of Dublin but removing height restrictions won't do much given the dinosaur mentality within the Council itself up there. Thankfully Cork has a different mindset which this change will help.
    I think it's more a case of the horse has already bolted in Dublin with the sprawl they now have. Very easy for Cork councils to learn from those mistakes in taking up a different mindset which is 100% the right thing to do. Height restrictions in a city in 2018 is ridiculous, even for wee 'ol Ireland

Hi folks. Does anyone know what is happening at the end of the hill just after the old Tennis Village (now the Model Farm or McCarthy's) on the dangerous bend just before the bridge?

I am referring to the same side of the road as the bar and not across the road where they are going on to the next phase of the housing development.

They just started clearing the site at the start of the path this week and have signs up saying the path will be closed for a week during works.

Good article in de paper today summing up Cork's current investment as part of a wider series about Life Sciences in Cork

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/life-sciences-bright-future-ahead-for-investment-in-cork-890176.html

Can anyone tell me the point of the car ban in Panna?

People are hailing it as a great pedestrianisation but there are so many taxis, busses, and bikes that there is no such thing

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

People are hailing it as a great pedestrianisation but there are so many taxis, busses, and bikes that there is no such thing

Would ya believe there is a thread all about it!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057854395/1

It's basically to annoy a few traders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think the point is to free up space for public transport.

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think the point is to free up space for public transport.
    That's exactly. It's invisaged that Patrick Street will be a core component of Cork BusConnects and will be a quality bus corridor with full prioritisation. Given there's only one lane in either direction it had to become bus/PT only.

The next hurdle will be 24h car ban.

• Advertisement

So all the bus stops along Merchant's quay blocking traffic are a bit of a cock up so?

Advertisement