Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Mardyke wrote: »
    Would ya believe there is a thread all about it!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057854395/1

It's basically to annoy a few traders.

Regardless of this...

Holy crap but town was dead today. 2 weeks before Christmas and no buzz at all around the city centre (I know it's a Monday, but sill and all like)

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Regardless of this...

Holy crap but town was dead today. 2 weeks before Christmas and no buzz at all around the city centre (I know it's a Monday, but sill and all like)

Everyone was in John Graces eating fried chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

So all the bus stops along Merchant's quay blocking traffic are a bit of a cock up so?

The only thing that blocks traffic on Merchant's Quay is other traffic. Mainly cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Mardyke wrote: »
    Would ya believe there is a thread all about it!

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057854395/1

It's basically to annoy a few traders.

Hopefully they fully ban cars from Oliver Plunkett street as well. Always found it nuts that cars drive down that street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Regardless of this...

Lads there’s 1,600 posts of this exact back and forth in that thread....

Let's not derail. I just experienced it for the first time yesterday and found it a bit pointless, from a pedestrian point of view.

Is there any developments in plan for North Main St? It's a sorry state at present

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Not sure how legitimate these are, but these are some photomontages created for Jacobs contribution to the CMATS

I'm a particular fan of the Luas on the disused Blackrock line, the Luas outside Reardens and the Viaduct greenway

http://3ddesignshop.com/jacobs/

Now bring us the report.......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

marno21 wrote: »
    Not sure how legitimate these are, but these are some photomontages created for Jacobs contribution to the CMATS

I'm a particular fan of the Luas on the disused Blackrock line, the Luas outside Reardens and the Viaduct greenway

I'm seriously sceptical of the scale on the Blackrock Line picture, to my eye it looks like they've visually squeezed two trams and a very wide path into half the space it would actually need. One would have to assume that Jacobs know what they're doing though...

Former_Blackrock_Station%2C_Cork._-_geograph.org.uk_-_76745.jpg
    04-disused-railway-amended--1024x768-1165x655.jpg

Does it look like they're proposing merging the lines as they go under the bridges?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Blackrock road station might need to go to short single-track section to achieve dual purpose usage.

I remember somebody I know seeing studies on attitudes of homeowners along the Blackrock line approx 20 years ago. There was fairly strong opposition to reversion of the line to motorised/mechanised public transport, as far as Douglas(ish). After Douglas, people became more in favour of the reversion to public transport. People will want to keep the greenway too, I think.

The only way to reconcile this is to keep/make space for both.
    Skehard road tunnel would need to be redone to fit trams underneath. But they could run the tram at-grade there, rather than in the cutting.

It's very irritating that the report is delayed yet again.

• Advertisement

That has the Douglas Rd totally dedicated to bus lanes....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Also it looks the Luas is to run past Kent Station and across the Lee there onto the Docklands.

Also it looks the Luas is to run past Kent Station and across the Lee there onto the Docklands.

I actually really like this design: a fully integrated rail system east of the city centre. It looks like the proposed Washington Street tram has no comparable terminus.

A lot more effort would perhaps see a tram terminus at the Beamish & Crawford counting house via Wandesford quay but that beamish site's probably totally private anyway I think.

I actually really like this design: a fully integrated rail system east of the city centre. It looks like the proposed Washington Street tram has no comparable terminus.
    Out past the colleges and onto Ballincollig you'd assume.

Not sure how they plan to route this though. CIT, UCC, CUH are all big trip generators along there.

Out past the colleges and onto Ballincollig you'd assume.

Not sure how they plan to route this though. CIT, UCC, CUH are all big trip generators along there.

That's the problem out west. Bishopstown/Curraheen Road route is needed for CUH but possibly avoids CIT by too far and is quite circuitous for Ballincollig people...looks like it might need to fork in two.

It's a little bit of a shame that it looks like Douglas is not getting some kind of public transport upgrade aspiration, going by those pics. Bearing in mind that such a plan would be long-term after all.

Also just to point out the obvious that this is also not a Mahon-Ballincollig direct link.

It would have to connect to Kent station, to facilitate transfers from bus and the Blarney/Blackpool rail link

The danger is that by facilitating more people and connections you might actually make it less useful as the route becomes too circuitous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

A lot more effort would perhaps see a tram terminus at the Beamish & Crawford counting house via Wandesford quay but that beamish site's probably totally private anyway I think.

Regarding the Washington st tram, s tram alignment involving 2 lanes of traffic in between the two tracks is quite unusual, normally the tracks are aligned to the centre of the road. There is no example of this in Dublin and I'm nit sure there is in the rest of Europe, at least I don't think I've ever seen one.
    The design means no realistic prospect of parking or loading bays.

Also it's a shame the capital scheme wasn't built to allow the luas go through it from Washington St onto Patrick st so that it could easily head eastwards towards Kent.

The route will now will be very slow making the turn from Washington St to Patrick St. It looks like the plan is also to use McCurtain St and Alfred St which will leave the bus station kind of high and dry, unless the bus station is moved to a more compact facility on the site of Kent station which would offer better connections alround

The single track luas at underpasses on the old railway alignment will be a future source of contention. As the system grows this will become a key bottleneck and some extremely expensive engineering solution will be put in place instead of just now putting one track in a cut and cover tunnel and have the other one above.

Photos seem to indicate an east-west line but no mention of whether or not a north-south line will be included, perhaps Blackpool Commuter Rail station to the airport via City Centre and South link or some such route.

Pics indicate more cycle tracks and bus priority to be welcomed. However the expanded commuter rail service seems to be operated by hybrid trains rather than full electrification. all in all though, it looks good and is a readical improvement on the current Public Transport set up in Cork.

TheChizler wrote: »
    The danger is that by facilitating more people and connections you might actually make it less useful as the route becomes too circuitous.

It needs to be designed with a view to more than one route though.

It needs to be designed with a view to more than one route though.
    Exactly, no need to cram every possible stop into one route.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    Regarding the Washington st tram, s tram alignment involving 2 lanes of traffic in between the two tracks is quite unusual, normally the tracks are aligned to the centre of the road. There is no example of this in Dublin and I'm nit sure there is in the rest of Europe, at least I don't think I've ever seen one.
    The design means no realistic prospect of parking or loading bays.

Yes, good catch.
    That's possibly just the graphic design company's mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

That would be ironed out by technical and engineering designs. This is more about the big picture.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Exactly, no need to cram every possible stop into one route.

This makes sense but at present one of the big issues with Cork traffic is the lack of interaction between East and West, with big population centres on both sides traversing the centre, leading to heavy pressure on the N40.
    The East would have reasonably good infrastructure to the centre in this design, but it's a shame not to have any aspiration of a cross-city link other than bus.

That's reading very heavily into a tiny amount of information mind you.

Edit:
    I wonder if they think that the "Reardens" tram can turn singers corner in order to be cross city.

How about splitting the route west of UCC like the Luas Red Line where it splits at Belgard to serve both Tallaght and Saggart? They could merge around UCC and continue along to City Centre-Kent-Docklands-Blackrock-Mahon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I'd imagine somewhere around CIT would be the Western Terminus, Ballincollig would be a 'possible future extension'.

I'd imagine somewhere around CIT would be the Western Terminus, Ballincollig would be a 'possible future extension'.

Depends on the scope of the Transportation Study though. If it's a mid-to-long term study it shouldn't leave out Ballincollig or Douglas IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The plan is to have a stop in the Science and Technology Park as well.

Cork Savings Bank transformed into UCC’s Centre for Executive Education

It’s a 19th century fore-runner of the yet-to be located major new 21st century UCC Business School, due to bring 4,000 to 5,000 students to a new Cork city campus in the next few years, with three locations still competing to house the huge investment, including at the docklands, and riverside settings, such as Union Quay/South Terrace. Those in the know say a decision on the new Business School and further, deeper intertwining of gown and town, may be made by Christmas.

Depends on the scope of the Transportation Study though. If it's a mid-to-long term study it shouldn't leave out Ballincollig or Douglas IMO.
    The scope will be from publication out to 2036.

• Advertisement

From those pictures it looks like Douglas is getting a massive public transport overhaul. Pity is looks like a huge expansion of BE bus lanes rather than an actual BRT, which they should 100% go for if they are closing the Douglas Rd to cars.

Advertisement