Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wasn't that one of the given reasons for demolishing everything on Merchants Quay and replacing it with a nice modern shopping centre...
    It was a hotch potch of different styles and heights and had become (or deliberately been let ) very rundown,
    Now you'd see old pictures of the Quay and (bar a couple of buildings) you'd think pity they hadn't the frontage...

Bear in mind that Cork and to a more extreme level Dublin did not see the quays as usable space for much of the 20th century as the rivers were stomach churningly smelly.

I remember even in the late 90s being in Cork with french people when we were in our teens and they were absolutely in horror at the smell of the river and walking around with scarves over their faces with perfume sprayed on.

It was *very* bad and it had a huge impact on attitudes to the quays. There was no way you could have opened a cafe or a food business due to the odours being so strong. I mean we were treating the river like an open sewer. It's no wonder the council today has so little respect for it as an urban space. Unlike most river side cities on the continent, we really didn't use the waterways or keep them clean until very recently.

It all changed since the main drainage completed and the river is for the first time in decades (if not centuries) is a pleasant environment.

It looks like Merchant's Quay originally intended to have frontage onto the quays or at least doors but they were sealed up to prevent people walking through. All of the units originally had doors onto the quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Not tall enough

For what?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    For what?

For a development in the core of the public transport plans.
    It is next to the train station, across from the bus station, on the (supposed) light rail line, and the blarney/blackpool line.

That should be a spot where there is all the will in the world for high density.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

For a development in the core of the public transport plans.
    It is next to the train station, across from the bus station, on the (supposed) light rail line, and the blarney/blackpool line.

That should be a spot where there is all the will in the world for high density.

Timing is the issue I'd imagine. There isn't any guarantee of success for the docklands yet and filling 15 + floors of office could be an issue for JCD. The only reason that the Prism proposed such height is due to the unique nature of the site.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    Timing is the issue I'd imagine. There isn't any guarantee of success for the docklands yet and filling 15 + floors of office could be an issue for JCD. The only reason that the Prism proposed such height is due to the unique nature of the site.

Indeed. If there were such demand for office space that Penrose Dock would merit 15+ floors then you wouldn't have developments nearby like Andersons Quay and Camden Quay waiting around in limbo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

2 developments into ABP for 2017 Housing Act consultantions the week before Xmas.

273 apartments at Blackrock (modification of this) by Glenveagh Homes
    162 residential units (74 houses/88 apartments) at Banduff Road, Banduff, Co. Cork

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2018/new/NewCasesWeekending%2021-12-2018.pdf

EDIT: also contains details of an appeal to the proposed Parnell Place hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

marno21 wrote: »
    2 developments into ABP for 2017 Housing Act consultantions the week before Xmas.

273 apartments at Blackrock (modification of this) by Glenveagh Homes
    162 residential units (74 houses/88 apartments) at Banduff Road, Banduff, Co. Cork

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2018/new/NewCasesWeekending%2021-12-2018.pdf

EDIT: also contains details of an appeal to the proposed Parnell Place hotel
    You'll excuse me for not going back and checking myself but the apartments in Blackrock - I assume that's Jacobs Island, given the volume in question?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

D'Agger wrote: »
    You'll excuse me for not going back and checking myself but the apartments in Blackrock - I assume that's Jacobs Island, given the volume in question?
    No it's part of the new Eden development in Blackrock
    https://www.lisney.com/new-homes-for-sale/property-for-sale-in-blackrock-crescent-eden-blackrock-cork/19218

Seems like Glenveagh will be going for 500 homes on their Douglas site.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Seems like Glenveagh will be going for 500 homes on their Douglas site.

Where's that?

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Where's that?

Maryborough Ridge picture of the site in the article here. Irish Times are reporting that construction is to start immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I stand over it :) Merchants Quay, specifically the side facing the Lee, is the ugliest building in Cork.

Have you glanced at the Cork Farm Centre down the road from Victoria Cross recently? It truly is awful!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I was part of building the maldron. we did the bar cafe etc area woodwork.

Has anyone been in it since it open?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

opus wrote: »
    Have you glanced at the Cork Farm Centre down the road from Victoria Cross recently? It truly is awful!

They're all up against some strong competition in the ugliness stakes. At least the farm centre isn't slap bang in the city centre which has more than it's fair share of fugly and/or rundown buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

They're all up against some strong competition in the ugliness stakes. At least the farm centre isn't slap bang in the city centre which has more than it's fair share of fugly and/or rundown buildings.

Ugly and rundown buildings that must be protected according to An Taisce!

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/coveney-cautious-on-proposal-for-cork-light-rail-system-895512.html

I normally don't have much negative to say about Simon but I don't see what this is really trying to achieve.

The last thing Cork needs is "caution". Development in Cork has been far too "cautious" for too long.

Ugly and rundown buildings that must be protected according to An Taisce!

There are some decent buildings but obviously the owners aren't arsed maintaining them. Some of them above shop facade level look atrocious, not even bothered giving them a lick of paint to improve the look.

cena wrote: »
    I was part of building the maldron. we did the bar cafe etc area woodwork.

Has anyone been in it since it open?

I'm there now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

There are some decent buildings but obviously the owners aren't arsed maintaining them. Some of them above shop facade level look atrocious, not even bothered giving them a lick of paint to improve the look.

Actually, I just noticed the building that burger King and Claire are in,(old cassidys maybe?) on Patrick Street... Not sure when it was done up, but it looks great.. Really nice paint job,

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/coveney-cautious-on-proposal-for-cork-light-rail-system-895512.html

I normally don't have much negative to say about Simon but I don't see what this is really trying to achieve.

The last thing Cork needs is "caution". Development in Cork has been far too "cautious" for too long.

Softening us up for the inevitable "Cork doesn't need light rail" decision. No matter what is in the transport plan, by the time the NIMBYs, vested interests, traders and local political hacks have had their say it'll be well and truly watered down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Surely, there should be an onus and requirement on the property owners to ensure their properties are kept in good condition. If we and a functioning council I suppose...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

I'm there now

How is it?

Really rather vague noises there. Cork is grinding to a halt under a mass of traffic and well-meaning yet useless drivel is all we get?

Mardyke wrote: »
    Surely, there should be an onus and requirement on the property owners to ensure their properties are kept in good condition. If we and a functioning council I suppose...

I'll bet their own dwelling houses don't have paint peeling off them.

cena wrote: »
    How is it?

The bar/restaurant is quite small for such a large city centre hotel.
    Nice being in a hotel where everything is brand new and no wear and tear though. Everything finished well and nothing gaudy.

Room was functuonal, nothing surprising or disappointing. Except the beds, actually damn comfortable.

Wasn't in *ahem* condition to take too much notice...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

The bar/restaurant is quite small for such a large city centre hotel.
    Nice being in a hotel where everything is brand new and no wear and tear though. Everything finished well and nothing gaudy.

Room was functuonal, nothing surprising or disappointing. Except the beds, actually damn comfortable.

Wasn't in *ahem* condition to take too much notice...

How much for a pot in the bar ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I suppose they have to be very cautious about any major public transit project outside South Dublin and perhaps an even narrower than than, a spectacularly well served corridor of South East Dublin.

I'm from Dublin and I seen that kind of mentality that has served to starve Cork and other cities and even the Northside of Dublin of serious transit system development

I mean you could argue the biggest spend on the Northside of Dublin, the port tunnel, actually conveniently links the southside to the airport.

Cork clearly needs this development and retrofitting it 30 years after the city has clogged in the 2040 would just undermine Cork's development, undermine national carbon emission targets and generally be more of the same lack of planning, lack of forward thinking and seeing transit infrastructure as a band-aid to be added in a reactionary manner when a city has become utterly snarled up.

I will be making my voting decisions in the next general election based on how these projects proceed.

How much for a pot in the bar ?

:confused::confused::confused::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭P.lane78

I went in there last Sunday ....no bar license yet only wine .....up to electric we went

• Advertisement

First crane up at Horgans Quay, two more to follow allegedly

Advertisement