Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

snotboogie wrote: »
    First crane up at Horgans Quay, two more to follow allegedly

Positive news that construction is actually going ahead and not stopping after site clearance. HQ will really transform that part of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Positive news that construction is actually going ahead and not stopping after site clearance. HQ will really transform that part of the city.

Yep and if the Twitter rumours are to be believed there will be two more to follow shortly which indicates that the offices will be constructed alongside the Hotel, which is great news. Penrose Dock are doing the whole construction in one phase too so we should see up to 5 cranes in the North Docks over the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭WhoElse

snotboogie wrote: »
    I stand over it :) Merchants Quay, specifically the side facing the Lee, is the ugliest building in Cork.

Merchant's quay is squat, brick, featureless, looks kideous when entering the city from the east, ruins the look along the river, and replaced buildings with some character.
    My bias here is that my my grandfather's bar was there, and under the scope of necessary road widening, property owners were made clear they would get an offer, then any refusal would result in reduced offers. The quays weren't so nice back then, many of the premises were unused and unloved, so everyone accepted the arm-twisting and sold out. Consequently our docks have a red lego lump where we used to have real building fronts. A rebuild could only improve it at this point, and could boost the pull back from suburban shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

A new building that was more in keeping with the quays is all that's needed. You can't really put the old stuff back but you could put in a stunning modern piece there that would be really transformative, if done right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Took my first stroll over the new bridge at UCC at lunchtime.

469886.jpg

• Advertisement

I don't think that UCC bridge will age well. It's surprisingly industrial / utilitarian looking for that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

WhoElse wrote: »
    Merchant's quay ...... replaced buildings with some character.

While the shopping centre may not exactly be lovely, the old quay (which I remember well) was a kip!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

marno21 wrote: »
    2 housing developments gone into ABP this week:

251 residential units at Cooney's Lane, Grange
    240 (154 houses/86 apartments) residential units at Ardarostig, Bishopstown

http://www.pleanala.ie/lists/2018/new/NewCasesWeekending30-11-2018.pdf
    Developer Ardstone is seeking permission to build 240 homes in Co Cork at a cost of more than €50 million through the fast-track planning system.Ardstone is building and selling houses on sites around the Republic. It is poised to launch various phases of developments in Dublin, Galway, Kildare and Wicklow on the market shortly.The company recently sought permission from An Bord Plean to build 240 homes – 154 houses and 86 apartments – at Ardarostig, Bishopstown on the southwestern edge of Cork city.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/construction/ardstone-seeking-to-build-240-homes-near-cork-city-costing-over-50-million-1.3751788

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Wonder would the residents sell up? Knock the lot and scale up that part of the city!

• Advertisement

Anyone know what's happening in Watergrasshill?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

More three story blocks requested to stick with ancient Georgian red brick buildings yay.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

opus wrote: »
    Took my first stroll over the new bridge at UCC at lunchtime.

469886.jpg

This bridge is absolutely hideous... What were they even thinking!?

Was jogging past it the other night and it's atrocious

What's with the industrial fencing on one side of it?!

Surprising as what's been done, certainly since the 1990s in UCC has been very in keeping with the campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

They're probably hoping that, in time, people will just get over it.

Seriously though, that bridge is just a huge missed opportunity for a really eye-catching design, something to complement the nearby Glucksman Gallery. Instead, we got this.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I suppose we will be told it was designed by some highfalutin architect with a whole load of letters after their name even if it's as ugly as a mule's butt.

Went over it a couple of weeks ago. Ugly yoke. Also almost completely redundant as far as I can see - it doesn't open up any 'new' routes for pedestrians that I can make out - they have to walk past existing entrances to get to it.

Went over it a couple of weeks ago. Ugly yoke. Also almost completely redundant as far as I can see - it doesn't open up any 'new' routes for pedestrians that I can make out - they have to walk past existing entrances to get to it.

Isn't there a bus stop there?

But yeah, it does not even link directly to the art gallery does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

But yeah, it does not even link directly to the art gallery does it?
    The path runs by the steps of The Glucksman if that's what you mean.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »

Yeah I didn't think that it connected. So it that the only use for this bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Yeah I didn't think that it connected. So it that the only use for this bridge?
    It gives access to Perrott's Inch from the main grounds, previously you had to go via Western Road and have a key to get in. Maybe they're hoping to get more use out of that area?

Isn't there a bus stop there?
    ?
    Yeah, there's that I suppose - that stop isn't used much. Having said that, the previous stop is at the main pedestrian entrance anyway.
    Bridge connects to the (already there) path on the lower grounds, up a bit from the gallery.
    It gives access to Perrott's Inch from the main grounds, previously you had to go via Western Road and have a key to get in. Maybe they're hoping to get more use out of that area?
    Seems to have a path leading to the carpark there - but it just duplicates the existing route via the archway (currently close, but re-opening at some stage).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've heard talk of making a chill out area for students there. You'd see clubs using it occasionally, archery and the like.

I don't really see the point of the bridge, but maybe it's part of an overall strategy.

deRanged wrote: »
    I've heard talk of making a chill out area for students there. You'd see clubs using it occasionally, archery and the like.

I don't really see the point of the bridge, but maybe it's part of an overall strategy.

Or they had an under spend on capital build projects and needed to use up a budget quickly

Or they had an under spend on capital build projects and needed to use up a budget quickly

Story I heard is that they got money from 'somewhere' but it could only be spent on facilities for students (for some reason) - the chose a bridge. I have no idea if that is partially, or at all, correct.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

10 stories? I expect an appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Very few objections and those that did were not against the development or height. Very little publicity too, I think that it has a chance

• Advertisement

It's not Dublin. They get vertigo if they even contemplate anything over about 6 floors up there.

Advertisement