Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

10 stories? I expect an appeal.

An appeal is likely but I doubt it'll be entertained - this is quite close to the Elysian and the graphic there does not seem to include the nearby office blocks being developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Isn't that the building with no windows on one side? Going to look odd enough I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    An appeal is likely but I doubt it'll be entertained - this is quite close to the Elysian and the graphic there does not seem to include the nearby office blocks being developed.

The location does make sense. I look forward to seen it going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

BUNK1982 wrote: »

I don't think this will be appealed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Prism developers defend their proposal

More noise from the O'Sullivan brothers crew. Hopefully this means that they will move quickly to construction if this gets approved in March or April.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Will Brexit Help cork in regards the export business? Surly Cork will take away business from Dublin due to its Harbour?

Will Brexit Help cork in regards the export business? Surly Cork will take away business from Dublin due to its Harbour?

I heard a minister on Newstalk say that Rosslare to Le Harve was our most direct route to mainland Europe..... Its great that the new Port of Cork is being built in Ringaskiddy but the Rochestown NIMBY's could ruin the whole thing with their M28 appeal. The most positive Brexit impacts could come from firms relocating from the UK to Cork. With the offices under construction now, we are setting ourselves up as a genuine alternative to Dublin.

Odd article in the echo on the docklands:

Green light for residential towers in Cork’s docklands

I thought that Penrose Dock has had piling going on for over a month? Yet here they are saying that they are still in site clearance? I would have thought they are a couple of weeks off two cranes going up on site. Also a mention of the Docklands Tower: Plans for a €250m mixed-used scheme on the former Port of Cork Harbour Commissioners site, to include a landmark tower with apartments, offices, a hotel, and the conservation of the landmark Port buildings and bonded warehouses, are being developed

snotboogie wrote: »
    Odd article in the echo on the docklands:

Green light for residential towers in Cork’s docklands

I thought that Penrose Dock has had piling going on for over a month? Yet here they are saying that they are still in site clearance? I would have thought they are a couple of weeks off two cranes going up on site. Also a mention of the Docklands Tower: Plans for a €250m mixed-used scheme on the former Port of Cork Harbour Commissioners site, to include a landmark tower with apartments, offices, a hotel, and the conservation of the landmark Port buildings and bonded warehouses, are being developed

Article says site clearance and preparation works. Presume Pilling comes under prep works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

The biggest concern for Cork in terms of Brexit is actually office space, housing and airport links.
    It is and will continue to pull in businesses.

• Advertisement

EdgeCase wrote: »
    The biggest concern for Cork in terms of Brexit is actually office space, housing and airport links.

Luckily the airport can expand with new routes if airlines think they will work. Can be done straight away.
    Bigger issue is getting the offices, houses and transport sorted as that takes way too long in this country.

Luckily the airport can expand with new routes if airlines think they will work. Can be done straight away.
    Bigger issue is getting the offices, houses and transport sorted as that takes way too long in this country.

Access to the airport is a disaster

It could do with a better bus connection to the city centre but it's probably one of the easiest airports to get to in any city that I've ever spent time in.

I can leave the house and be airside in about 20 mins, assuming you're not trying to get the there for 9am and using the N40 at rush hour

It's so close to the city and southern suburbs that it makes using a taxi very, very reasonable.

The biggest issue that it has is the site is making a runway extension problematic. That makes regular widebody aircraft fights unlikely and limits the development of transatlantic to using smaller aircraft like what Norwegian have done.

The other big issue is Aer Lingus scheduling European fights that leave too late. That's what killed the Brussels route. The flights got you there in the middle of the day and that meant having to spend an extra day in Brussels. So anyone going there just flew to Amsterdam instead or, in a lot of businesses case flew via Heathrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

I asked the airport if there were plans to improve bus frequency, especially with the growing traffic, and they fobbed me off telling me to "contact Bus Eireann to pass on my suggestion".

It needs a bus connection (226A) to run at least every 20 mins. Not to mention with the business park next door also. An hourly bus in the early hours of the morning would be ideal also for late night workers.

There's supposedly plans to route the 206 via the Airport after Grange, but I'm not sure when or if we'll see it in the near future. A more direct connection to town and back would be better anyway.

Sometimes there's no buses to meet late arriving flights which is ridiculous.

By car outside of morning & evening peak times its a joy to be fair.
    Folk busing it to the airport aren't a significant factor for anything really.

Augeo wrote: »

As a person from Cork, and a tourist to many different countries and airports, I understand how massively important public transport from and to an airport is. Not everyone wants to take taxis or pay a taxi fare.

We need to improve public transport across the country to get more cars off the roads. Not increase the amount on the roads.

U
    As a person from Cork, and a tourist to many different countries and airports, I understand how massively important public transport from and to an airport is. Not everyone wants to take taxis or pay a taxi fare.

We need to improve public transport across the country to get more cars off the roads. Not increase the amount on the roads.

All well and good but in the context of housing, office space and brexit it matters not a bit.
    The airport is close to the city and to the main road that provides access to everywhere else.

I'm a person from cork, tourist to X,y,z etc etc too BTW along with hundreds of thousands others too....so don't be thinking you've a superior appreciation on transport logistics to the rest of us.

It's not massively important at all....it's a largely insignificant factor to the vast majority

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

True.. I won't use buses to go to Cork airport anymore.. I just go to Dublin.. Its nearly as quick and overall cheaper..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

U

All well and good but in the context of housing, office space and brexit it matters not a bit.
    The airport is close to the city and to the main road that provides access to everywhere else.

I'm a person from cork, tourist to X,y,z etc etc too BTW along with hundreds of thousands others too....so don't be thinking you've a superior appreciation on transport logistics to the rest of us.

It's not massively important at all....it's a largely insignificant factor to the vast majority

"superior appreciation on transport logistics"... Never said that, never thought it either.. (?)

I'm simply saying that a growing airport should try and have a better public transport service/frequency serving it. Public transport is important and seems to always be left as an afterthought in this country unfortunately, hence our massive Co2 emissions and we'll now be paying for that significantly in fines... But that's for another thread.

"superior appreciation on transport logistics"... Never said that, never thought it either.. (?)

Apologies, I took this speel "person from Cork, and a tourist to many different countries and airports, I understand how massively important public transport from and to an airport is. " as you trying to somehow qualify your opinion. If that's not what you were attempting I'm puzzled as to what the speel was about really.

• Advertisement

I asked the airport if there were plans to improve bus frequency, especially with the growing traffic, and they fobbed me off telling me to "contact Bus Eireann to pass on my suggestion".

It needs a bus connection (226A) to run at least every 20 mins. Not to mention with the business park next door also. An hourly bus in the early hours of the morning would be ideal also for late night workers.

There's supposedly plans to route the 206 via the Airport after Grange, but I'm not sure when or if we'll see it in the near future. A more direct connection to town and back would be better anyway.

Sometimes there's no buses to meet late arriving flights which is ridiculous.

206 to the airport would be great. It would link to a lot of populated suburbs.

Markcheese wrote: »
    True.. I won't use buses to go to Cork airport anymore.. I just go to Dublin.. Its nearly as quick and overall cheaper..

Ah here. It’s between 6 and 7 hours round trip on the bus. You are adding the equivalent of a long haul flight to your travel time by going from Dublin.

There's an issue in general with Cork bus transportation. We should probably be seeing the airport's access to public transport in the context of Cork's current issues with inadequate bus services.

I don't think Cork Airport has many connectivity issues but it absolutely should be considered as part of the transit plan. There's also a lot of office space in the adjacent business park too.

There's an issue in general with Cork bus transportation. We should probably be seeing the airport's access to public transport in the context of Cork's current issues with inadequate bus services.

I don't think Cork Airport has many connectivity issues but it absolutely should be considered as part of the transit plan. There's also a lot of office space in the adjacent business park too.

The whole bus system needs a complete overhaul. The 220 24-hour route with improved frequency is a step in the right direction but we need to see improvements across all routes and possibly some routes added also.

The fact Ballygarvan doesn't have a bus going through it is shocking.

Rail: Mallow should allow Leap cards to be used for cheaper fares like Midleton. I know people paying crazy money to commute to and from there each day to the city.

Youghal would be a great addition also, if the Greenway doesn't get the go ahead tomorrow. Imagine having a rail connection to the beach, and it would completely regenerate the area there as a valuable option as a commuter town, for people moving to Cork. Not to mention a tourist attraction in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Ah here. It’s between 6 and 7 hours round trip on the bus. You are adding the equivalent of a long haul flight to your travel time by going from Dublin.

True slight exaggeration... But The last time I wanted to get from the airport to the train station it took nearly 2 hours...(from arriving at the bus stop)
    Its 2 and a half to Dublin airport..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

206 to the airport would be great. It would link to a lot of populated suburbs.

Living along the 206 route, it is definitely the most reliable bus service in the city (out of a bad lot). Reason being, it doesnt have to go through the city and northside. Frequency is every 15 mins too

My fear is the service will degrade if they expand the service to the airport. Lack of bus lanes on the N27 will see the bus delayed by more rush hour traffic. Also would the bus have to negotiate the Kinsale roundabout or cut through the Airport road?

Markcheese wrote: »
    True slight exaggeration... But The last time I wanted to get from the airport to the train station it took nearly 2 hours...(from arriving at the bus stop)
    Its 2 and a half to Dublin airport..

2 and a half is the absolute best case scenario, on average its just over 3 hours and its often over 3 and a half hours. A taxi from Kent to Cork airport costs about 15 euro and will take 15 minutes. A return Aircoach ticket costs 28 euro and will take over 6 hours return. You are talking about spending an extra 2 euro to save 5 and a half hours of your time, not including the extra time in the airport.

Treviso wrote: »
    Living along the 206 route, it is definitely the most reliable bus service in the city (out of a bad lot). Reason being, it doesnt have to go through the city and northside. Frequency is every 15 mins too

My fear is the service will degrade if they expand the service to the airport. Lack of bus lanes on the N27 will see the bus delayed by more rush hour traffic. Also would the bus have to negotiate the Kinsale roundabout or cut through the Airport road?

Really? I frequent the route too and I actually find the 220 better. I would say that 50% of the time the 206 doesn't show up at all, granted im using it after 6pm to get into the city and am only using it once a week so I might not be getting the best picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Really? I frequent the route too and I actually find the 220 better. I would say that 50% of the time the 206 doesn't show up at all, granted im using it after 6pm to get into the city and am only using it once a week so I might not be getting the best picture.

There was a time before Christmas when buses wouldn't show up for ages, then 3 would appear at once, but generally it is quite a good service. Granted, I used to take the 202 quite a bit so maybe its not a fair comparison (202 was a dreadful service)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Treviso wrote: »
    There was a time before Christmas when buses wouldn't show up for ages, then 3 would appear at once, but generally it is quite a good service. Granted, I used to take the 202 quite a bit so maybe its not a fair comparison (202 was a dreadful service)

Here's a new article on the 2040 plan for Cork. A price tag of €3.1bn is quoted.

https://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Corks-new-transport-plan-will-cost-31-billion-to-implement-c86801a9-6f84-47a6-8143-fabbb8361340-ds

Advertisement