Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭thomil

Dats me wrote: »
    It was Hugh Creegan, Deputy Chief Executive of the NTA who was quoted. The NTA's whole remit is public transport, he's just saying it will have to be paid for in fairness. The NTA are the ones drafting the transport strategy for Cork that is said to include continuous bus and cycle lanes as well as a Luas system for Cork. The NTA aren't the problem, it's FG, FF and Shane Ross in particular at the moment - you're right, the politicians don't care

According to an email/letter received by the lads over at Cork Cycling Campaign, the funding currently comes from several different line items within the NTA, wherever it can be spared. So re-thinking the financing aspect should be at the top of everyone's minds. And to be frank, the current 10€ annual subscription fee is an absolute steal. Even if that got doubled to 20€, or even raised to 25€. it would still be good value for money.

Here's the Twitter thread containing the reply, for reference:

https://twitter.com/CorkCyclingCrew/status/1080046402540109824

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TheChizler wrote: »
    I suppose you'd have to get the County Council involved for Douglas.

Douglas is inside the expanded city boundary so that shouldn't be an excuse you'd hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Good news but not including CIT or Douglas in the expanded bike scheme is a bit of a mad one.

Ridiculous. 12k students out there, not to mention the hospital nearby. They are taking the p1ss.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Dats me

thomil wrote: »
    According to an email/letter received by the lads over at Cork Cycling Campaign, the funding currently comes from several different line items within the NTA, wherever it can be spared. So re-thinking the financing aspect should be at the top of everyone's minds. And to be frank, the current 10€ annual subscription fee is an absolute steal. Even if that got doubled to 20€, or even raised to 25€. it would still be good value for money.

Here's the Twitter thread containing the reply, for reference:

https://twitter.com/CorkCyclingCrew/status/1080046402540109824

Great thread, very sensible stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Douglas is inside the expanded city boundary so that shouldn't be an excuse you'd hope.
    In the future, but in the meantime the city can't do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

It's happening in a few months time?

It's happening in a few months time?

The talks happened last year. I'm just going by this:
    Now, NTA deputy chief executive Hugh Cregan has confirmed that the NTA and Cork City Council held meetings last year to discuss it, which included site visits to identify potential new bike stations.

I can't imagine them doing any of that in areas they currently don't have control over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The talks happened last year. I'm just going by this:

I can't imagine them doing any of that in areas they currently don't have control over.

Not that I could give any less of a **** about “de county bounds” but aren’t parts of Douglas in the city?

snotboogie wrote: »
    Not that I could give any less of a **** about “de county bounds” but aren’t parts of Douglas in the city?
    Hmm, I guess. I always take it to mean the parts south of the N40 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

And what's the reason for leaving Bishopstown & CIT out of it? That's in the current city boundary.

• Advertisement

And what's the reason for leaving Bishopstown & CIT out of it? That's in the current city boundary.
    No idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You're very lucky Cork is getting such a dramatic expansion. Dublin's bike scheme has yet to go beyond the City Centre. Even the office district of Ballsbridge remains unserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

One of the truck guys told me once they can't just put a few docking stations out on their own because people could cycle all the way to CIT and find the station is full.

He said if they expand they would have to do it stages. So College Road, then Dennehy's Cross, then CUH and Model Farm Road and then CIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

Pitcairn wrote: »
    One of the truck guys told me once they can't just put a few docking stations out on their own because people could cycle all the way to CIT and find the station is full.

He said if they expand they would have to do it stages. So College Road, then Dennehy's Cross, then CUH and Model Farm Road and then CIT.

Yep, this was the reason given when I reached out to them about this a 2 years ago or so. It's a logistic nightmare to move bikes fast enough to avoid full stations in the 'far out' areas and in the end the users would suffer as they may go far only to find out there's nowhere to park the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yep, this was the reason given when I reached out to them about this a 2 years ago or so. It's a logistic nightmare to move bikes fast enough to avoid full stations in the 'far out' areas and in the end the users would suffer as they may go far only to find out there's nowhere to park the bike.

You'd reckon CIT would warrant a larger bike station in that case. Fingers crossed it happens in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sonnyblack

Anyone know if they are putting on by Parc ui Chaoimh? That would be ideal to park on Monahan Road and cycle up to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Anyone know if they are putting on by Parc ui Chaoimh? That would be ideal to park on Monahan Road and cycle up to the city.
    Would be a disaster on match days, gob****es on the bikes thinking they're clever trying to weave through thronged streets and roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Would be a disaster on match days, gob****es on the bikes thinking they're clever trying to weave through thronged streets and roads.
    True unfortunately. Ideally it'd work, but just takes a few people with too much drink onboard and you'll have someone smash into a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Well, with all the bike stands down the Páirc (85 required by planning, 0 actually installed) I'm sure there will be loads of cyclists heading down there on match day regardless.

Yes, sarcasm.

Well, with all the bike stands down the Páirc (85 required by planning, 0 actually installed) I'm sure there will be loads of cyclists heading down there on match day regardless.

Yes, sarcasm.
    Even with them installed, I'd imagine they are for people who may cycle directly there, i.e. not from a pub.
    Bike stands are a good idea, but with so few matches in PUC, I'd prefer to see them focus on areas like the CIT where it'd be used on a far more regular basis.

• Advertisement

Even with them installed, I'd imagine they are for people who may cycle directly there, i.e. not from a pub.
    Bike stands are a good idea, but with so few matches in PUC, I'd prefer to see them focus on areas like the CIT where it'd be used on a far more regular basis.

PUC is a conference centre not a stadium, says the man who doesn't go to GAA matches.

PUC is a conference centre not a stadium, says the man who doesn't go to GAA matches.
    Not sure what the incoherent sentence above means.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh (PUC) is a stadium with conference center facilities. Not sure how many people will be cycling out there for conferences.

Not sure what the incoherent sentence above means.

Páirc Uí Chaoimh (PUC) is a stadium with conference center facilities. Not sure how many people will be cycling out there for conferences.

Incoherent from your perspective, not from mine.

To a person who doesn't attend GAA matches, Páirc Ui Chaoimh's remaining functions are as a conference and event centre.

Your following sentence
    Not sure how many people will be cycling out there for conferences.
    shows your own biases. Why on earth WOULDN'T someone attend a conference by bicycle? What do you think actually goes on at conferences? At the last one I attended in PUC, there were a good number of families, athletes and teenagers. People had left their bikes locked to the training pitch fence.

At every turn in Cork we seem to have a good reason why the car is the only possible conceivable mode of transport. It's a backwards ideology/philosophy.

I'd argue that private cars are the least appropriate mode of transport to get to the Páirc, but there's more car spaces than bike stands.

You said "PUC is a conference centre not a stadium". That is incoherent, cause it is a stadium (with conference center facilities).
    Your following sentence shows your own biases.
    No, no it doesn't. Maybe if you bothered to read the bit where I said I'd prefer it was focused on the roll out to the CIT you might realise that. I also said cycle stands would for people who cycle directly there, even potentially conferences.
    Why on earth WOULDN'T someone attend a conference by bicycle?
    Again, you lack basic reading skills. I didn't say that nobody would. I only questioned how many people would go by bike. And, again, I'd be for bike stands for people that would, no issue. Understand?

At every turn in Cork we seem to have a good reason why the car is the only possible conceivable mode of transport. It's a backwards ideology/philosophy.
    Now this is an example of someone actually showing their bias.
    You seems to have ignored the train station, bus station, bike system, cycle lanes, pedestrian footpaths...... So maybe open you eyes where you take a look at every turn in Cork. You might see the alternatives to cars and learn something.

OK I don't need to post anything further. The conversation speaks for itself.

OK I don't need to post anything further. The conversation speaks for itself.
    That should have been your opening (and only) statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

Zzzzzzzzzz...

To a person who doesn't attend GAA matches, Páirc Ui Chaoimh's remaining functions are as a conference and event centre.

Your following sentence

shows your own biases. Why on earth WOULDN'T someone attend a conference by bicycle? What do you think actually goes on at conferences? At the last one I attended in PUC, there were a good number of families, athletes and teenagers. People had left their bikes locked to the training pitch fence.

I'd argue that private cars are the least appropriate mode of transport to get to the Páirc, but there's more car spaces than bike stands.

Driving down that direction, when there is anything going on, is a fecking nightmare. Walking from the city is far easier.

Footbridge across the river, to the rail line, would be a massive benefit

cantalach wrote: »
    Zzzzzzzzzz...
    Hi. Just to let you know there's an entire world out there on the Web, you don't have to read stuff that bores you. Bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

When you think of it that way, a ferry across from the train station would be very handy...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement