Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Driving down that direction, when there is anything going on, is a fecking nightmare. Walking from the city is far easier.

Footbridge across the river, to the rail line, would be a massive benefit

Yes I fully agree.
    I believe the CMATS publishment will show a tram connecting Kent to near PUC which would be a massive help also.
    You could us a P&R in Dunkettle, take the train to Kent, and swap to a tram that brings you to PUC. All on one integrated ticket.

Possibly the wrong thread, but forgive me the daydreaming.

Markcheese wrote: »
    When you think of it that way, a ferry across from the train station would be very handy...

There's a tram/pedestrian/cycle bridge planned in the long-term I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Eastern Gateway Bridge would really open up that side of town. From Skew Bridge in Tivoli to the stadium
    AtlanticQuarterCorkDocklands1_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-469061

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Shedite27 wrote: »
    The Eastern Gateway Bridge would really open up that side of town. From Skew Bridge in Tivoli to the stadium
    AtlanticQuarterCorkDocklands1_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-469061

I assume that's a really old proposal though - that's the Howard Holdings Atlantic Quarter development in the background?

Haven't heard much about the bridge since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

who_me wrote: »
    I assume that's a really old proposal though - that's the Howard Holdings Atlantic Quarter development in the background?

It's been in the news sporadically Eastern Gateway Bridge is key to docklands development over the last few years. I liked those Howard Holding towers :(

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's been in the news sporadically Eastern Gateway Bridge is key to docklands development over the last few years. I liked those Howard Holding towers :(

Yeah, definitely. Some great shots of them from the Tivoli side. Pity!

But I reckon it's always more likely the docklands are going to be developed as they are now, growing slowly out from the city centre, rather than a massive 'landmark' development in the mid or East end. The ambitious Marina Commercial Park was probably a bit more likely/practical, but I can't seen anything like that in that location either for years.

I liked those Howard Holding towers :(

It would be nice with the tram running through there too, they could integrate the tram station station and bus plaza for match days, to use the same pedestrian walkways for tram and bus passengers.

Would potentially also make a good location for an out-of-city conference hall like Frankfurt's messe but the time for that discussion has long since passed now I'd say.

Yeah, definitely. Some great shots of them from the Tivoli side. Pity!

But I reckon it's always more likely the docklands are going to be developed as they are now, growing slowly out from the city centre, rather than a massive 'landmark' development in the mid or East end. The ambitious Marina Commercial Park was probably a bit more likely/practical, but I can't seen anything like that in that location either for years.

The site has been bought but there seems to be zero impetus to actually move forward with it. The marquee is back in 2019 so we can effectively rule out anything happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

All of the plans / ambitious proposals here...myself and fiance really, really want to move from Dub to Cork in about 2 years when we've a bit more experience under our belts professionally...thing is...I've followed the National Dev Plan, population projections etc closely and Cork looks to at last becoming a viable alternative to Dublin...but will any of this come to fruition really like??

Dublin's miserably traffic choked, expensive and full. Wou;d love an 'urban' lifestyle but not the full fat version here! Would lov to see Cork become a true lifestyle choice for yuppies:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

All of the plans / ambitious proposals here...myself and fiance really, really want to move from Dub to Cork in about 2 years when we've a bit more experience under our belts professionally...thing is...I've followed the National Dev Plan, population projections etc closely and Cork looks to at last becoming a viable alternative to Dublin...but will any of this come to fruition really like??

Dublin's miserably traffic choked, expensive and full. Wou;d love an 'urban' lifestyle but not the full fat version here! Would lov to see Cork become a true lifestyle choice for yuppies:)

As would we, believe me.

Cork is a wonderful little city with lots to offer, but the people in charge of different amenities, such as transport, really do need to start copping on. The city will literally come to a standstill if we continue to push everyone to using cars as transport in and around the centre.

• Advertisement

As would we, believe me.

Cork is a wonderful little city with lots to offer, but the people in charge of different amenities, such as transport, really do need to start copping on. The city will literally come to a standstill if we continue to push everyone to using cars as transport in and around the centre.

Agree with this. It's still very much to be determined if Cork will succeed as a real urban area in the near future. The three major developments under construction now have the potential to transform the city but we will need a complete overhaul of transportation to see things work. There are still massive NIMBY forces in power in particular regarding transport initiatives like the M28 construction and the "Pana ban" but also with accommodation and office space, especially with the Lord Mayor and his comments on student accommodation at the Lough and An Taisce's ridiculous objection to The Prism.

As long as the country can stave off a recession the next few years will be very interesting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

a poulation of 320-350k in a concentrated area, relying in the main on walking, cycling and trams/trains buses with green spaces on the fringes...think any small German or French city. Your Bordeauxs, Stockholms etc. That's my vision for where I'd love to be. (a place in St.Lukes, Blackrock...:) easy access to trains to Dublin if HQ is there and need to visit once a week for example)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There really needs to be a push to get the CMATS, and the Docklands LAP/transportation plans published. There is little point in developers etc trying to do much until the actual frameworks for the areas concerned are published. Why these are continuously being delayed needs to be assessed because waffle is no use for the city.

Once integrated land use and transportation plans are published then things can start moving. For example if Centre Park Road is to be widened and raised, how are they supposed to start on the Marquee site without a firm plan for that?

marno21 wrote: »
    There really needs to be a push to get the CMATS, and the Docklands LAP/transportation plans published. There is little point in developers etc trying to do much until the actual frameworks for the areas concerned are published. Why these are continuously being delayed needs to be assessed because waffle is no use for the city.

Once integrated land use and transportation plans are published then things can start moving. For example if Centre Park Road is to be widened and raised, how are they supposed to start on the Marquee site without a firm plan for that?

Judging from the comments earlier this month it'll be late March at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Here's an email I received from Shane Ross this morning after I queried why CMATS was being continually delayed.

Useless. Dodged the question completely. Couldn't even give me a month, let alone a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Here's an email I received from Shane Ross this morning after I queried why CMATS was being continually delayed.

Useless. Dodged the question completely. Couldn't even give me a month, let alone a date.

I doubt he knows. Politicians like this who claim they can go to North Korea and broker peace are 'managed' by the senior civil service until the leave office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What happened with the Howard Holdings proposal??

leahyl wrote: »
    What happened with the Howard Holdings proposal??

2008 - property crash meant it wasn't viable, and the global slowdown wiped out the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

2008 - property crash meant it wasn't viable, and the global slowdown wiped out the developer.

Ah right, pity, looked good. That bridge would be great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

leahyl wrote: »
    Ah right, pity, looked good. That bridge would be great though.

That bridge is a non-runner at the moment. It wasn't included in the new national development plan published last year which goes out to 2027. You're talking the 2030s at least before it might be considered.

• Advertisement

https://www.unitymedianetwork.com/today-fm-and-newstalk-opening-of-new-studio-in-corks-republic-of-work/

More good news for the South Mall with Today FM and Newstalk opening a studio in republic of work at 12 south mall.

https://fora.ie/facebook-ballsbridge-office-4451413-Jan2019/

Facebook seem to be including Cork in its expansion talks recently too, as they do in the above article. This will likely be minuscule compared to Dublin but I wonder if they will take more space at the Capitol? Or potentially take space at Penrose Dock?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Say what you like about BAM but they sure love their tower cranes, is the site so big that a relatively modest office development needs a third crane? Three going in at Horgans Quay before the apartments even start too....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Say what you like about BAM but they sure love their tower cranes, is the site so big that a relatively modest office development needs a third crane? Three going in at Horgans Quay before the apartments even start too....

It looks positive. That crane is hardly for the apartments and will reach the river so I’d say an announcement coming soon.

It looks positive. That crane is hardly for the apartments and will reach the river so I’d say an announcement coming soon.

They haven't even submitted the further info requested through the planning process for the event centre. Why would they throw up a crane for a development that's still going through the planning process and it's still months away from a final decision?

Offices have been under construction on the site for a few months. The crane has to be for them, even if BAM submitted the information for planning tomorrow it’d be another 3 months at best before they’d be allowed to start

Offices have been under construction on the site for a few months. The crane has to be for them, even if BAM submitted the information for planning tomorrow it’d be another 3 months at best before they’d be allowed to start

I suppose time will tell but I do know that the tower crane that’s already up can reach over the counting house and right over to the Event Centre side.I imagine that they will want to get the apartments done for start of College in September so we will wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Article on sunday paper today re bam and other problems they have had with projects in the uk etc.

• Advertisement

Fully expect a lash of student apartments will go up on that site at this stage. They've all taken the people of this city for fools with this farce.

Advertisement