Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

Imagine being this incompetent, in a real world job.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

Imagine being this incompetent, in a real world job.

I wouldn't call it incompetent. They know exactly what they are doing. They want to taxpayer to take on all of the risk involved with the event centre and if that doesn't happen then they will be only too delighted to build more student apartments on the site.

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it incompetent. They know exactly what they are doing. They want to taxpayer to take on all of the risk involved with the event centre and if that doesn't happen then they will be only too delighted to build more student apartments on the site.

I'm talking on the public side

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm talking on the public side

Public management of big projects in the city is beyond incompetent: Tramore Park, Marina Park, Event Centre....and those are just the big ticket items. Not one of them delivered or even close to being delivered and they've been going on for years and years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Public management of big projects in the city is beyond incompetent: Tramore Park, Marina Park, Event Centre....and those are just the big ticket items. Not one of them delivered or even close to being delivered and they've been going on for years and years.

Bottlehill (48m landfill, never used)
    Mahon Point event centre (yes, an event centre was included in the approved plans, never built)

I'd love to hear what the latest is with the port relocation work, and the €12m "budget error" (by BAM, but I don't know who's picking up the bill)

I don't think it's fair to suggest it's just a public sector thing though, I'd seen world-class incompetence from the private sector too.

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »

I don't think it's fair to suggest it's just a public sector thing though, I'd seen world-class incompetence from the private sector too.

Indeed but there is generally a person who pays the price for said failure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Bottlehill (48m landfill, never used)
    Mahon Point event centre (yes, an event centre was included in the approved plans, never built)

I'd love to hear what the latest is with the port relocation work, and the €12m "budget error" (by BAM, but I don't know who's picking up the bill)

They came to an arrangement over the port of Cork... I assume for a large project like that, it would be a subsidiary company of bams that would have submitted the tender, which bam could jettison, if needed... So port of Cork would have had a job getting the originaly agreed deal..
    They probably still got a good deal, but bam'll make it back on the extras...

BAM are running rings around public bodies on the event centre site... They know there's money in the site, that's why they bought out Heineken's share... Its difficult to negotiate with a body thats gonna win whatever happens, and is happy to spin this to their advantage.. The original planning design was never possible, they just needed something in a hurry..
    Its a pity someone doesn't come out of left field with a better proposal for a different site,
    Not that bam ll care they've successfully got loads of really tall student accommodation on South main street, and if the event centre gets canned they'll get more... (which they probably wouldn't have been able to do first day without the event centre farce)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

BAM would need planning permission to put student apartments on the section of the site for the event centre. The only reason they are getting permission for the current apartments is because they still have the leverage of the Events Centre hanging over the city council. No way they get planning for student apartments on the actual site...

I posted in the other thread but what is the actual update here? The 9 million is a loan? We knew that already. They need to negotiate over the payback terms? City Council needs legal advice based on these terms? I’ve read Eoin English’s article which does a great job at giving the full history but doesn’t really say what the current issue actually is

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Does anyone know anything about that building behind the Bank of Ireland on the South Mall and on the corner or Parliament bridge? It has been derelict for many years. The building was half renovated about 10 years ago (for apartments I think) and subsequently abandoned and it's just lying there. Any plans to finish it off?

Does anyone know anything about that building behind the Bank of Ireland on the South Mall and on the corner or Parliament bridge? It has been derelict for many years. The building was half renovated about 10 years ago (for apartments I think) and subsequently abandoned and it's just lying there. Any plans to finish it off?

It was / is gonna be a hotel.. I think the crowd that owns (or maybe owned) Jacobs on the mall started to develop it...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

How could city council /Bord pleanála refuse planning for more student appartments on the remainder of the brewery site? The area already has tall, student accommodation right next door,
    There could be height issues next to the river,
    That can be addressed... There would be an issue over "dead" Street frontage, that can be addressed...
    And the archaeology has already been done on that portion of the site for underground parking, so it's not unfeasible to do regular appartments, or an office development...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    How could city council /Bord pleanála refuse planning for more student appartments on the remainder of the brewery site? The area already has tall, student accommodation right next door,
    There could be height issues next to the river,
    That can be addressed... There would be an issue over "dead" Street frontage, that can be addressed...
    And the archaeology has already been done on that portion of the site for underground parking, so it's not unfeasible to do regular appartments, or an office development...

The city council would refuse it because its not zoned for accommodation.

600 homes for Old Whitechurch Rd

snotboogie wrote: »
    The city council would refuse it because its not zoned for accommodation.

600 homes for Old Whitechurch Rd

I hope you're right, I hadn't realised that part of the beamish site had a specific zoning,( other than mixed use development)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I hope you're right, I hadn't realised that part of the beamish site had a specific zoning,( other than mixed use development)

Even if it didn't a change that big to the development would 100% need to go back for planning. The site would no longer be the same use if it was all student apartments with a small office development and could easily be rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭what the hell!

Hoarding and signs gone up for demolition at the Sunbeam site in Blackpool. What did we say was happening there?

Hoarding and signs gone up for demolition at the Sunbeam site in Blackpool. What did we say was happening there?

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Construction-to-proceed-on-new-homes-on-the-Sunbeam-site-bfcd1961-3a10-407d-9c5a-967017a8b2e3-ds

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Port of Cork have appointed design experts for the Tivoli masterplan

Public consultation expected in the next few weeks.

This being driven by a semi state company in house will likely mean it'll be somewhat efficient

https://www.96fm.ie/news/major-proposals-for-tivoli-docks-in-the-planning-s/

marno21 wrote: »
    Port of Cork have appointed design experts for the Tivoli masterplan

Public consultation expected in the next few weeks.

This being driven by a semi state company in house will likely mean it'll be somewhat efficient

https://www.96fm.ie/news/major-proposals-for-tivoli-docks-in-the-planning-s/

The article mentions A railway station, with a site that big, I hope theyd want more than 1...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The article mentions A railway station, with a site that big, I hope theyd want more than 1...

From what I can see the site is about 2km East to West. If the station is fairly central, then nowhere in there is going to be more than 1km from the station.

If there is a line & station there, then I hope there'll be bridge over to PUC; it'd be a great way of getting to the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

From what I can see the site is about 2km East to West. If the station is fairly central, then nowhere in there is going to be more than 1km from the station.

If there is a line & station there, then I hope there'll be bridge over to PUC; it'd be a great way of getting to the stadium.

I remember talk of a planned bridge. Any news on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

I'd buy a gaf in or around there...

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I remember talk of a planned bridge. Any news on that?

That was the Eastern Gateway Bridge, I think? Was heavily touted back when Howard Holding's Atlantic Quarter development was being proposed... everyone still agrees it's absolutely essential if that part of the docklands is going to be developed. Any century now, I'd say... :(

I'd buy a gaf in or around there...

Before I bought my current place, I was looking at the Glenmont apartments nearby, near the Silversprings. Nice, modern apartments, but the really cool bit was each apartment had a huge terrace/balcony on the roof of the apartment to the front of it.

And from there, you had a great view over the Tivoli docks. I actually thought it was a great feature, seeing the cranes in action and the containers being shuffled about, especially at night. Didn't buy in the end, thought they were a bit isolated.... they'll probably shoot up in value now if Tivoli is redeveloped and a station built.

Googled 'Marina Park Cork' to see what latest was...imagine my surprise when I clicked this link...

https://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/marinaparkmasterplan/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Page no longer exists. What was it?

cgcsb wrote: »

;)

Googled 'Marina Park Cork' to see what latest was...imagine my surprise when I clicked this link...

https://www.corkcity.ie/services/recreationsport/marinaparkmasterplan/

Ahhh.... I thought it was going to be a link to the Marina Commercial Park redevelopment.

Edit - actually seems to be something weird with that site. Sporadically when I visit it, it redirects to some spammy Russian site? Seems fine now though. Deleted link now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Ahhh.... I thought it was going to be a link to this.

Edit - actually seems to be something weird with that site. Sporadically when I visit it, it redirects to some spammy Russian site? Seems fine now though.

V dodgy link there lad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

cgcsb wrote: »

I think that might be the point....

Bloody disgraceful how they've left it. Brand new stadium with all these green areas around it and it's boarded up and left to rot.

Advertisement