Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I think that might be the point....

Bloody disgraceful how they've left it. Brand new stadium with all these green areas around it and it's boarded up and left to rot.

Well you couldn't accuse the Cork folk of being direct could you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

This is way behind where I thought it was:

“1st February 2019: We understand a main contractor has been identified, however contracts have yet to be signed on the construction of a new Student Accommodation and ancillary student support facilities at Victoria Cross, Cork for UCC. ”

https://twitter.com/cisireland/status/1091364004545613824?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

cgcsb wrote: »
    V dodgy link there lad

Yeah, sorry, i've removed the link.

It's a valid site, but seems to have had some code/malware injected. Best avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I think that might be the point....

Bloody disgraceful how they've left it. Brand new stadium with all these green areas around it and it's boarded up and left to rot.

Here's a cache of that page including the masterplan - Marina Park Master Plan
    snotboogie wrote: »

“1st February 2019: We understand a main contractor has been identified, however contracts have yet to be signed on the construction of a new Student Accommodation and ancillary student support facilities at Victoria Cross, Cork for UCC. ”

Asked someone I know in the UCC Estates office about it a few weeks back & they told me it was out for tender so guess they've picked the winner going by that tweet. It gets a mention in their latest newsletter but no info apart from permission being granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

One thing I can tell you for sure is that the contractor is not Bam.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

marno21 wrote: »

Cool. Lots of spin though. Especially from BAMand O'Callaghan. Hope they make me eat my words

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Good update but (minor) annoyance - they use a mix of sq feet and sq metres to describe various developments meking it harder to get an idea of scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

okedoke wrote: »
    Good update but (minor) annoyance - they use a mix of sq feet and sq metres to describe various developments meking it harder to get an idea of scale.

That's a weird feature in Ireland. Perhaps due to the heavy presence of American investment??

If I'm not mistaken - the Sullivan's Quay hotel will have 220 rooms, not 193 as printed (the application was changed during the planning process). Edit - Well, God help my poor reading skills.. the article states the application to increase the room count to 220 was rejected. I could have sworn I read it had been accepted...

Also it states it will be the biggest hotel in Cork, I'm not certain if that is/will be true. The data is fairly conflicting, I've seen reports that the Metropole and M will have 400 rooms in total, that there will be 400 new rooms, and that the Metropole itself will have 400 rooms.

• Advertisement

That's a weird feature in Ireland. Perhaps due to the heavy presence of American investment??

The worst part is having to up in a lift and down in an elevator....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I see that I've been replaced :(

You most certainly have not

I'm convinced some of them are picking up info from this and other Cork-related forums/threads. I'm tempted to add some deliberate errors, just to see if they're published! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Its likely most, if not all of that is your work from on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭thejuggler

Without a doubt - easy story for lazy journalists. Your work here is appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

That is brazen - they could plead ignorance of course, but i'd imagine that a simple DM by way of courtesy would have been sufficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I love that the two projects from BAM are both marred with controversy & delays! These guys are a disgrace. They shouldn't be allowed to build anything in the city ever again.

Interesting that they're also the ones behind the debacle that is the new children's hospital in Dublin as well! :rolleyes:

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    That is brazen - they could plead ignorance of course, but i'd imagine that a simple DM by way of courtesy would have been sufficient?

Ah I'm only taking the piss. I started the thread as a way for me to keep track of developments and where they were, the media kept including projects which were not going to happen in these articles and it was hard to get an overall view of where the city was going. The only thing that annoys me about the article is the inclusion of the terrible trio (Anderson Quay, Trinity Quarter and Camden Quay) without the proper caveats that none of these will likely ever be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

The only thing that annoys me about the article is the inclusion of the terrible trio (Anderson Quay, Trinity Quarter and Camden Quay) without the proper caveats that none of these will likely ever be built.

What's happening with Anderson Quay? Pity as it's a nice looking render, too. That street needs sprucing up badly. It's in an apalling state at the moment and that's before mentioning the drug addict hangout on the grassy/bench area next to the river.
    :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

At least snotboogie puts in how much objection there's been from An Taisce - they should actually be called out in that article with the number of total developments, number granted planning approval, number requiring revision and number objected to by An Taisce - 3 guesses what the largest number would be on the page

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Happens in the UK too. It's just a legacy or auctioneers working in imperial measurements. It's nothing to do with Americans. All of the construction drawings would be in metric but for some reason auctioneers never quite made the switch. You still tend to get dimensions of rooms in feet and land in acres

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sextant closing its doors shortly, current occupier understands it's been "sold for redevelopment"

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-bar-The-Sextant-to-close-this-month-3be76b31-d4ba-4227-a5b5-fe7cdfee4080-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sextant closing its doors shortly, current occupier understands it's been "sold for redevelopment"

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Cork-bar-The-Sextant-to-close-this-month-3be76b31-d4ba-4227-a5b5-fe7cdfee4080-ds

Wow, that was quick,
    Plus I'd have thought the Sextant would have stayed open till planning had been obtained, and demolition was scheduled..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Just listening back to the Sunday paper show podcast on RTE Radio one and they had an EIB rep on who talked about financing the new port of Cork, interestingly he mentioned a Rotterdam connection as a vital route for the new port

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah because all the Cork ships are feeder ships to the big ones in Rotterdam AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wow, that was quick,
    Plus I'd have thought the Sextant would have stayed open till planning had been obtained, and demolition was scheduled..

Would be interested to see what kind of planning they're going to get, the Sextant would surely have some sort of heritage/ historical merit and as a business it should do very well once the surrounding office space is full...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Guessing this is going to be an apartment development although I couldn't find anything on the planning site. It's on North Abbey Street, a small lane that runs off Shandon St by the funeral home.

472358.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Would be interested to see what kind of planning they're going to get, the Sextant would surely have some sort of heritage/ historical merit and as a business it should do very well once the surrounding office space is full...

A good few of the buildings in that area have regional ratings for architectural significance, especially as lots of them used to be the old train station. The warehouse they demolished was also regional rated so it didn't hold them back.

• Advertisement

opus wrote: »
    Guessing this is going to be an apartment development although I couldn't find anything on the planning site. It's on North Abbey Street, a small lane that runs off Shandon St by the funeral home.

472358.jpg

I look at that and all I can see is - wouldn't that make a spectacular outdoor eating/drinking venue. The venue for the new Sextant? :P

Any idea what was on that site previously?

Advertisement