Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

An old disused warehouse as far as I remember, probably something dating back to when there was a large cattle processing industry going on in that area. Can't see it becoming a bar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    Would be interested to see what kind of planning they're going to get, the Sextant would surely have some sort of heritage/ historical merit and as a business it should do very well once the surrounding office space is full...

Not protected structures, I checked after I heard about the site bing sold last year. Considered of architectural merit, and recommended for preservation, but not actually to be preserved.

There’s surprisingly little in the way of protected structures around the docklands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Where in Riverstown is this located? I'm guessing on the site of the old Barleycorn hotel. 13 stories seems pretty tall for Glanmire...... Sorry I can't access the link for some reason

Where in Riverstown is this located? I'm guessing on the site of the old Barleycorn hotel. 13 stories seems pretty tall for Glanmire...... Sorry I can't access the link for some reason

Looks like the site beside the old pallet factory, accross from the John Barleycorn.
    Nursing home supposed to go in there further in narrow site.
    Be grand view of GAA match

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Same here, link isn't working. Wouldn't mind having a look, if there are mock-ups / design docs.

who_me wrote: »
    Same here, link isn't working. Wouldn't mind having a look, if there are mock-ups / design docs.

19/4059
    Go into the council planning link and look for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

That’s mad but I suppose it will be within the city boundary in the next 6 months.

Regarding the Sextant bar, apparently it’s JCD who bought it so probably another big glass box.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Is it just the sextant or is the tool hire behind included? Sextant site is fairly small

19/4059
    Go into the council planning link and look for it

Thanks for that. Looks better than expected, I like that they haven't gone for a big cuboid block but instead have a mix of heights. They've tried to do something different with the roof on the tallest part, and have rooftop gardens throughout. It'll be very dependent on the quality of materials and finish I reckon.

(If it's approved. Could see a lot of objections to it.. it does stand out quite a bit! :) Each time I flicked through the images.. "Can't see it, is in in the background? [Next Page] WOOOOOAAAH, there it is!!!")

• Advertisement

okedoke wrote: »
    Is it just the sextant or is the tool hire behind included? Sextant site is fairly small

The rumour is both. I think it's pretty much all of the block West of the Navigation Square development, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Just noticed the footpath being laid on St. Patrick's Quay, by the new Harley St. bridge. On the North side, they're more than twice as wide as before. It makes sense.. if there's a lot of foot/cycle traffic coming across the bridge this will help make a natural crossing point to Harley St. / McCurtain St.

It does reduce the number of lanes from 3(ish) to 2; though the 'lane' being blocked was only used for parking so no real loss.

I'd actually love to see if it would be possible instead to design/build low-profile pedestrian overpasses in locations like this, so the vehicular and pedestrian traffic wouldn't interfere with each other... but I don't have much faith in anything low-profile, attractive, effective, or affordable being built. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Holy moly. Tomorrow’s Examiner front page.

Trinity Quarter going ahead.

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1093280912488439813?s=21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Fantastic.

Confirmation above also that the Carey Tools/Sextant site has indeed been bought up by JCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Just noticed the footpath being laid on St. Patrick's Quay, by the new Harley St. bridge. On the North side, they're more than twice as wide as before. It makes sense.. if there's a lot of foot/cycle traffic coming across the bridge this will help make a natural crossing point to Harley St. / McCurtain St.

It does reduce the number of lanes from 3(ish) to 2; though the 'lane' being blocked was only used for parking so no real loss.

Yeah, I don't mind this. All that's been lost is 2 parking spaces, really. I presume there will be traffic lights going there as well? Are they pedestrianizing Harley Street or will you still be able to drive up there to McCurtain street, I wonder?

Above all, I sincerely hope they resurface that entire area. It's been rippped to shreds due to all this construction.

Yeah, I don't mind this. All that's been lost is 2 parking spaces, really. I presume there will be traffic lights going there as well? Are they pedestrianizing Harley Street or will you still be able to drive up there to McCurtain street, I wonder?

Above all, I sincerely hope they resurface that entire area. It's been rippped to shreds due to all this construction.

Doubt that there is the demand to pedestrianise that street. It takes a lot of pressure off of Bridge Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Very exciting times ahead for the South Terrace area.

Was there any further update on the Dunkettle/Tunnel-Approach works? Last thing splashed out was that they were having soil problems.

I promise that I had nothing to do with soil compaction tests for the Cork tunnel works, I only tested the soil for the Dublin Port tunnel (in a, thankfully, past life)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Was there any further update on the Dunkettle/Tunnel-Approach works?
    This is what I've been following, https://www.dunkettle.ie/newsletters

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Was there any further update on the Dunkettle/Tunnel-Approach works? Last thing splashed out was that they were having soil problems.

I promise that I had nothing to do with soil compaction tests for the Cork tunnel works, I only tested the soil for the Dublin Port tunnel (in a, thankfully, past life)

Serious cost overruns anyone?
    There'll be a few wrangles over, costs and who was testing what..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

It doesn't look that way, they've extended the footpaths on either side of the Harley St. turn off but there's still an opening for traffic to turn and drive up it.

Doubt that there is the demand to pedestrianise that street. It takes a lot of pressure off of Bridge Street.

McCurtain St. is going to be two-way in the future though, so it'll be interesting to see how things change.

29llqvb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Looks a bit, uhm, ah, odd...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

29llqvb.jpg

I don't hate it....just seems very random for a 14 story building to be build in Glanmire, let alone in that spot.

Speaking of Glanmire, any idea when these road upgrades are suppose to start? I've noticed they started the ground works for Ballinglanna. If that building gets the go ahead plus the Ballinglanna development there is going to a lot of extra traffic around Glanmire. It's already mad as it is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This is quite a nice proposal but I can see it getting roundhouse objections for a variety of reasons.

How long until this will be going to Cork City Council planning department instead? Would surely have a better chance of getting approval if it's going to them instead. There isn't really precedent for this kind of development in the county planning area.

Did someone say roads? Latest update.

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: Tender for this project has been awarded to Sisk. Preliminary works are ongoing on site with full construction scheduled to begin in Q1 2019. The scheme is expected to take 3/4 years to complete due to the complex traffic management involved. Sisk however have begun a pre-planning consultation with An Bord Pleanala related to this scheme, so this may interfere with the current proposal for the project. No details on this amendment have been published yet.

M20 Cork-Limerick & M40 North Ring Road East: Consultants have now been appointed to carry this project through Phases 1-4 of TII's Project Management Guidelines (feasibility/project scope, route selection, design & EIS, statutory process) The Department of Public Expenditure and Reform announced in Sept that this scheme is expected to start in 2021 and open in 2025, however this appears extremely ambitious. Based on current projects going through the process, it is envisaged that the M20 will open in approx. 11-13 years (2030-2032). It is currently anticipated that a link from the M20 at Killeens to the M8 at Glanmire (the North Ring Road East), will be advanced in tandem with this project.

N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney: The prequal stage of this is now complete with invitations to tender being sent out in July 2018. At present, a tender award is expected (but not confirmed) in mid 2019 with a start soon after. Completion is expected to take 3 years.

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. The project has passed the pre-appraisal stage and consultants will be appointed to carry the project through Phases 1-4 of TII's PMG in 2019. The limited options and small nature of this scheme means it may go to construction within 3-4 years.

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was approved in full by An Bord Pleanala in July 2018, and Cork County Council intend to begin land purchase and issue tenders for advance works in late 2018. However, a local militant anti-motorway group in Rochestown intend to seek a judicial review on the project, which in their belief will lead to the destruction of their community and widespread health issues due to noise and air pollution, although their solution is to route the motorway through Ballinhassig instead which would add around €400m to the cost of the project and add upto 25km of a round trip for vehicles. Judicial review was awarded in September 2018, set a nominal return date to court of 4th October 2018, but this is unlikely to be the start of the hearing as the plantiff & defendant will need time to prepare their cases. Most likely early next year before the hearing commences but we'll see what fast tracked means in the high court.

M40 Motorway Reclassification and ITS Upgrade: TII & Cork County Council are currently engaged with consultants on this which would see motorway regulations being applied to the N40 and ITS equipment ("smart motorway" equipment) including display VMSs being installed on the length of the M40 and approach roads such as the N27 and N71. The study is ongoing with phased implementation expected on an as of yet unknown timescale. Enabling works including communication ducting were carried out in Q4 2018, and contractors will be appointed to carry out the main works (including installation of gantries on the N40) in Q1 2019.

R624 Cobh Road dualling: Cork County Council are applying to DTTAS to have this road upgraded to a national road and a portion of dual carriageway built along its length which will involve the construction of a 2nd dual carraigeway bridge onto Great Island. The project will be initially appraised under DTTAS new appraisal guidelines, with no timescale yet for delivery.

The remainder of the schemes in the greater Cork area (N22 Macroom-Ovens, N25 Midleton-Youghal, N27 Cork Airport dualling, N40 Cork North Ring Road West, N71 dualling) are all suspended. As part of the National Development Plan process, over 45 schemes were audited for potential inclusion in the NDP. Of these 45 projects, only the N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton was included in the plan (apart from projects already in planning: Dunkettle, Macroom/Ballyvourney, Mallow, M20 & M28). However, the N22 Macroom-Ovens, N22 Cork North Ring West and N27 Cork Airport dualling were 3 of the 7 schemes which only barely missed out on inclusion, so will be top of the list for consideration in the coming years. The N25 Midleton-Youghal was omitted as it was flagged as having sufficient capacity until at least 2030.

The publication of CMATS will help here as there is currently no underlying policy document to support required road upgrades in Cork.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    This is quite a nice proposal but I can see it getting roundhouse objections for a variety of reasons.

How long until this will be going to Cork City Council planning department instead? Would surely have a better chance of getting approval if it's going to them instead. There isn't really precedent for this kind of development in the county planning area.

June 01 is transfer day i think.
    Its a bit weird sticking out of the trees in Glanmire, be nice in a city centre location, i quite like the design.
    After city gave the planning for the yoke at Mahon though, i reckon anything goes now.
    County might take the developmemt contribution and run...

Advertisement