Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

marno21 wrote: »
    The objection by the Green Party to the building is just comical though. I was under the impression that they encouraged sustainable dense development. Sure why not spread the planned uses of the building around the N40 and get people to drive there while we're at it.

The Green party in DCC have been steadfast in their determination to damage the environment over the past 20 years, opposing everything from dense living arrangements to sustainable energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

cgcsb wrote: »
    :D lol, like seriously where do you define the boundaries of Dublin City Centre?

I've seen strange definitions of what's considered central/city-centre in Dublin - was laughed at previously for calling O'Connell St. "city centre". (Seen the same in Cork, to be fair. Anything away from Patrick St/Grand Parade/Oliver Plunkett St. is no longer city centre.)

Given how our cities are growing, I think our definition of "city centre" has to too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

:D lol, like seriously where do you define the boundaries of Dublin City Centre?

Just making the point that it is about a 10 minute walk from Busaras to O'Connell street. Likewise its roughly a 10 minute walk (maybe a little longer) from Kent to Patrick's street. I'm aware Busaras is city centre but it wouldn't be most people's main destination when heading into the city. It's likely they would be heading at the very least to O'Connell street if not beyond that. City Centre was probably a bad choice of words when I meant somewhere more central....at the same time there is no need to be pedantic.

Just making the point that it is about a 10 minute walk from Busaras to O'Connell street. Likewise its roughly a 10 minute walk (maybe a little longer) from Kent to Patrick's street. I'm aware Busaras is city centre but it wouldn't be most people's main destination when heading into the city. It's likely they would be heading at the very least to O'Connell street if not beyond that. City Centre was probably a bad choice of words when I meant somewhere more central....at the same time there is no need to be pedantic.

It is also around the corner from a train station

who_me wrote: »
    I've seen strange definitions of what's considered central/city-centre in Dublin - was laughed at previously for calling O'Connell St. "city centre". (Seen the same in Cork, to be fair. Anything away from Patrick St/Grand Parade/Oliver Plunkett St. is no longer city centre.)

Given how our cities are growing, I think our definition of "city centre" has to too. :)

i would class the city centre as the island section from the port of cork right up to the turn off to the wood street to the mercy and st finbarrs road on the other at the cross section of washington street, effectively the start of the mardyke is the cut off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Can't decide if a tower on the Port Of Cork site would
    a) be a lovely landmark
    b) ruin the view of the river splitting

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Was out for an early morning jog today & spotted that work has kicked off at the red place that's been derelict for as long as I can remember at the bottom of Sundays Well Road. Hope they put in good flood barriers :)

Took a walk in that direction at lunchtime to see progress & it's got a new roof.

472976.jpg

Looks like it's going to be a refurb of the existing building & the construction of one new town house if I'm reading the planning application correctly.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Shedite27 wrote: »
    a) be a lovely landmark

I hope it goes ahead. I think it would be a great statement driving into the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

a) be a lovely landmark

Ruin the view for whom? The birds?

Surely it would enhance the split since it'd be sitting right in the middle of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

a) be a lovely landmark

Ruin the view for whom? The birds?

Surely it would enhance the split since it'd be sitting right in the middle of it?
    That is a very blunt one sided opinion. I'm in favour of the development but I understand the point the poster is making. From that picture you won't be able to see One Albert Quay from that angle for example.

No need for the birds comment

The river recombines there, just saying

rounders wrote: »
    That is a very blunt one sided opinion. I'm in favour of the development but I understand the point the poster is making. From that picture you won't be able to see One Albert Quay from that angle for example.

From that angle? Who's looking at that angle?

That's the birds reference. And One Albert Quay is such a historic vista that it needs preserving?

Who need An Taisce, with comments like these

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

From that angle? Who's looking at that angle?

That's the birds reference. And One Albert Quay is such a historic vista that it needs preserving?

Who need An Taisce, with comments like these

Coming in the lower glanmire road is the same view and you know it. Stop being pedantic.

And I said above that I'm in favour of the development. I never said anything about One Albert being history. Just simply pointing out that there is elements of a view being hindered by the port of Cork development.

This is what is wrong with Boards. People with only an interest in hearing their point of view and shut down everyone else's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=156574204&postcount=146

Gotta hand it to Cork City Council, at least they are trying to get the Prism built and remove the fear of tall buildings, unlike Dublin.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I'd rather see the 40 storey from the Lower Glanmire Road than the roof of a building that had floors chopped off for no practical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

marno21 wrote: »
    I'd rather see the 40 storey from the Lower Glanmire Road than the roof of a building that had floors chopped off for no practical reason.
    There are numbers between 1 and 40.

While I'm delighted there's big plans for the site I'm also not sure that I'll like the final result. Maybe it will be a bit imposing on that site narrowly framed by the river. Could work out fantastic either.

I'm hoping it's not just a grand development for the sake of a grand development.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

TheChizler wrote: »

While I'm delighted there's big plans for the site I'm also not sure that I'll like the final result. Maybe it will be a bit imposing on that site narrowly framed by the river. Could work out fantastic either.

I'm hoping it's not just a grand development for the sake of a grand development.
    Fully agree. It’s a prime location, something spectacular would be wonderful but not grand for the sake of grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

mrpdap wrote: »
    Fully agree. It’s a prime location, something spectacular would be wonderful but not grand for the sake of grand.

I think it could be brilliant because it not only combines a rather striking looking building with a nice spire, it restores the run down warehouses rather then removing them, allows them to be used again as tourist, cultural and heritage uses. They want too add a nice boardwalk where you can look over the river and want it to have ''Significant public access'' aswell as a restaurant at the top floor to look over the entire city. It could really help rejuvenate that area by attracting tourists etc down that way to see the 'tallest building'', possibly going into the coffee shops in the area then etc. Rather then just a museum in the warehouses which wouldn't be the most attracting of things.

portOfCorkProposedDev_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-448208

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/ucc-to-open-business-school-for-4000-students-in-city-centre-902767.html

Not sure if this was posted already. UCC to build business school on Brooks site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost.php?p=156574204&postcount=146

Gotta hand it to Cork City Council, at least they are trying to get the Prism built and remove the fear of tall buildings, unlike Dublin.

Just a reminder that height restrictions are now gone so as such they can reach for the sky’s.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/building-height-restrictions-in-towns-and-cities-lifted-37604346.html

I hope it goes ahead. I think it would be a great statement driving taking the luas into the city.

:rolleyes:

That is a very blunt one sided opinion.
    That's the thing about opinions, they tend to favour one outcome over another.
    I'm in favour of the development but I understand the point the poster is making. From that picture you won't be able to see One Albert Quay from that angle for example.

...is this satire? I never know in Cork.

TheChizler wrote: »

No matter what they do it would be imposing by sheer virtue of it being the first real tower in the city (country)
    It would open up that area for real high density work/living environment. All the potential for people to live and work in the city, no need for traffic every morning (and across the river to the docks).

This is the kind of development which can help the city finally grow beyond small provincial city.
    I would also think that the council will push hard on all these developments fairly quickly. Brexit is not the real threat to Cork (in the long term), it is a United Ireland. Cork will be completely forgotten about if that ever happens as you will, all of a sudden, have a massive counter-point city in Belfast. A city as big as Dublin and at the complete other end of the country to Cork. No way could we compete with that, especially with all the grants and promotions to invest in the North would bring, in a UI event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cork will be completely forgotten about if that ever happens as you will, all of a sudden, have a massive counter-point city in Belfast. A city as big as Dublin and at the complete other end of the country to Cork.

You are vastly overstating the size of Belfast, that city is way closer in size to Cork than it is to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

The Green Party need to grow up.

They are either for modern developments which are Green and support Hugh density living or they can act as luddites for the rest of their existence.

They appear to espouse certain aspirations yet when such aspirations come to fruition they oppose them.

And oh my Lord, some of their policies have been so ungreen. The motor tax cuts for diesel cars must be the most ungreen decision taken in this country for years. Filling the air with NOX and particulates. Just wow.

Belfast Cork
    City: 340,200 125,657
    Urban: 483,418 208,669
    Metro: 671,559 399,216

The metro areas are closer in population, indicating Cork's suburbanisation is worse. Belfast City has almost 3 times the population of Cork City and the Metro area is only about 1.7 times the size of Cork.

That's actually Crazy considering there were walls around Belfast City Centre and it was subject to curfew at sunset only 20 something years ago. You would think the opposite would be the case. Cork needs to move more people closer to the City.

CHealy wrote: »
    You are vastly overstating the size of Belfast, that city is way closer in size to Cork than it is to Dublin.

Indeed I was apologies, saying that it is still 3 times Cork. So will dwarf Cork for investment by EU, government, and business.

Cork Council (at least the future planning dept. of late) do not seem like slouches, they are pushing ahead into the future and I have no doubt that they are factoring a potential for Belfast to be our real direct competitor and getting out ahead of this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Belfast Cork
    City: 340,200 125,657
    Urban: 483,418 208,669
    Metro: 671,559 399,216

The metro areas are closer in population, indicating Cork's suburbanisation is worse. Belfast City has almost 3 times the population of Cork City and the Metro area is only about 1.7 times the size of Cork.

That's actually Crazy considering there were walls around Belfast City Centre and it was subject to curfew at sunset only 20 something years ago. You would think the opposite would be the case. Cork needs to move more people closer to the City.

Not disputing that Belfast is a bigger city than Cork, it clearly is, but having spent lots of time there I can tell you its no where near x3 times the size of Cork. It has that same 'can be anywhere in 15 mins' feel that Cork has and the city center itself wouldnt be much bigger than ours. Its more dense, lots and lots of terraced housing and it extends on into Lisburn/Dunmurry/Dundonald which are big towns in themselves (same as Ballincollig).
    Indeed I was apologies, saying that it is still 3 times Cork. Still will dwarf Cork for investment by EU, government, and business

See above. Id put Cork and Belfast on a level playing field if we were under the same umbrella nationally.

Dublin
    Cork/Belfast
    Limerick/Galway/Derry
    The rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

If there is a United Ireland, all 26 counties will suffer. We'll be paying for Unification for decades, similar to the German solidarity tax that was imposed (and which is still in place), following German re-unification.

I don't want to get off topic here, and get in to the merits or otherwise of unification, but we can safely assume a lot of capital projects will suffer in Cork and elsewhere.

To return to the skyscraper debate, I hope they go ahead with that 40 storey building or at least something of a similar size and ambition. The point where the two arms of the Lee meet has so much potential. Those old bonded warehouses would look fantastic, if they were renovated. Otherwise, I can see them going the same way as all the other great old buildings around cork, like St Kevins, Vernon Mount, etc.

Advertisement