Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,262 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

This post has been deleted.

Not sexy enough for posters here I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Are they listed in this thread? Would be great to see if so

Not sexy enough for posters here I guess.
    Exactly. Keeping track of housing developments is a lot harder since there are a lot of them at vastly different scales and they don't make the news much unless there is local complaints against them. If you want to go to the effort to compile and track ongoing housing developments in Cork I will be happy to add to updates, as I have with other posters who have compiled industrial and infrastructure developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I would love a train station in the Carrigtwohill IDA. I can see the train pass my office everyday but the station stops a half hour walk from the IDA. Sure a station here would alleviate some of the traffic problems on the main road?

Wasnt there supposed to be one built originally?
    Along with a park and rideat dunkettle.

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    I would love a train station in the Carrigtwohill IDA. I can see the train pass my office everyday but the station stops a half hour walk from the IDA. Sure a station here would alleviate some of the traffic problems on the main road?

And the two bus stops by the IDA are uncovered. Seen plenty of people getting soaked under the rain, waiting for the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Former Muskerry service station, Western Rd: 190 bed spaces
    Brewery Quarter, part of Beamish & Crawford site, South Main St: 413 bed spaces
    Copley Street: 126 bed spaces
    Former Coca-Cola bottling plant, Carrigrohane Rd: 484 bed spaces
    Former O’Mahony Packaging site, Melbourne Rd (off Model Farm Rd): 344 bed spaces
    Crow’s Nest site, Victoria Cross: 250 bed spaces (Restricted)
    O’Riordan Joinery site, Bandon Rd (Glasheen Rd/Magazine Rd junction): 322 bed spaces
    Farranlea Road (between Model Farm Road and Victoria Cross): 145 bed spaces
    Former Square Deal store, Washington St West: 228 bed spaces
    Kelleher Tyres site, Victoria Cross Rd: 124 bed spaces
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/concern-at-unprecedented-growth-of-student-housing-470322.html

Does anyone know the planning stipulations on whether any of these apartments can be let during the summer to non-students?

[edit] Crow's nest site restricted to "student accommodation only". Source.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Apogee wrote: »
    Former Muskerry service station, Western Rd: 190 bed spaces
    Brewery Quarter, part of Beamish & Crawford site, South Main St: 413 bed spaces
    Copley Street: 126 bed spaces
    Former Coca-Cola bottling plant, Carrigrohane Rd: 484 bed spaces
    Former O’Mahony Packaging site, Melbourne Rd (off Model Farm Rd): 344 bed spaces
    Crow’s Nest site, Victoria Cross: 250 bed spaces
    O’Riordan Joinery site, Bandon Rd (Glasheen Rd/Magazine Rd junction): 322 bed spaces
    Farranlea Road (between Model Farm Road and Victoria Cross): 145 bed spaces
    Former Square Deal store, Washington St West: 228 bed spaces
    Kelleher Tyres site, Victoria Cross Rd: 124 bed spaces
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/concern-at-unprecedented-growth-of-student-housing-470322.html

Does anyone know the planning stipulations on whether any of these apartments can be let during the summer to non-students?

As far as I am aware, these can be let out during the summer months under their planning conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Markcheese wrote: »
    Wasnt there supposed to be one built originally?
    Along with a park and rideat dunkettle.

Yeah the IDA station got pulled during the recession.

The proposed P&R at Dunkettle was also put on the long finger. The NRA at the time objected to any development in the area to preserve it for the future Dunkettle interchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Id still put a park and ride at the dunkettle ensuring it serves 2 routes.route 1 mahon point and route 2 city centre/bus station, UCC and the hospital. A lot of communters coming down the M8 need to be accounted for

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Id still put a park and ride at the dunkettle ensuring it serves 2 routes.route 1 mahon point and route 2 city centre/bus station, UCC and the hospital. A lot of communters coming down the M8 need to be accounted for

Put it where though. The only place available would be the train yard alongside the old N25. Presume this is owned by CIE

That genuinely might be the worst written newspaper article I have ever read, absolutely all over the place. I assume it will be edited...

Nice to get the updates all the same, lack of progress at the Coca-Cola site is worrying, starting to look like another Camden Quay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Douglas Eegit

I drove down magazine road yesterday and the place is a kip. The student houses are simply a mess so the sooner the demand is no longer there for houses and shifted to fully serviced apartments hopefully should switch the housing back to private ownership.

Here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

snotboogie wrote: »
    Nice to get the updates all the same, lack of progress at the Coca-Cola site is worrying, starting to look like another Camden Quay

I spotted a planning notice there last week & took a pic but it's just the old one from last year that looks like it had been moved a bit.

451992.jpg

June update

Under Construction

Navigation Square: Four building office development on the former Navigation House site on Albert Quay. 310,000 sq ft of office space for up to 3,000 employees. First phase to be completed Feb 19' Clearstream to be the anchor client

gallery-navigationsquare-night-thumb.jpg

85-86 South Mall: 50,000 sq ft office, 5 storey office building.To be completed in December 18' KPMG rumoured to be anchor client

JCDSouthMall_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-445918

Dalata Hotel South Mall: Six storey hotel, 165 beds. To be completed in December 18'

CorkCityRedevelopmentProjects190218a_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-467356

Student : Western Road/Muskerry Service Station (190 beds) has one crane and the Beamish site (413 beds) has two tower cranes erected. Copley Street (126 beds) should be finished by 2019 and Student Hub in UCC has one tower crane up.

Marina Park: Under construction with first phase to open in Q1 2019.

Industrial projects: Johnson & Johnson (biggest construction project in Cork), MSD, Eli Lilly (all above 100 million).

Hospital: New wing at Bons Secour has one tower crane and CUH oncology centre has one crane

There are currently 9 tower cranes in the city all listed above. Before people get too excited it should be kept in mind that the crane count is 78 in Dublin and around 23 in Belfast. Dublin is in a league of its own for a city of it's size in a developed nation, the scale of the current development and what's coming on stream there is in a whole other stratosphere to the rest of the Island. I couldn't find a crane count for Limerick but I believe the Hanging Gardens is under construction. Galway seems to have little interest in riding the current boom.

Planning/Appealed

Horgan's Quay: Office Space for 5,000 employees, 200 apartments, 136 bed hotel and 3,000 sq metres of restaurants and retail. Got planning permission in March but it was appealed by Port of Cork. Appeal withdrawn in April. Construction on the Hotel will hopefully begin this summer with the office and apartments commencing in 2019.

HorgansQuayDevelopment060917_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-804981

Sullivan's Quay: 6 storey Office & 193 bed, 12 storey, 4 star Hotel. Planning granted and immediately appealed. Given that demolition is nearly complete I'd expect this to go into construction as soon as planning is granted. Potential hold up over the height of the hotel, at 47 metres, it is set to make the top 20 tallest buildings in the state if completed. An Taisce not happy. Final planning decision delayed until June 29th.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

The Prism: A 15 storey 70 metre office development on the triangle site on Clontarf Street. Planning lodged in the middle of May and a decision is due on the 10th of July.

image.jpg

Penrose Dock: 7 and 9 floor office development in the area bounded by Penrose quay, Railway street, Alfred street and Brian Boru street. Submitted for planning at the end of May, decision due on 19th of July.

PenroseQuayCGI2_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-844749

Former Victoria Hotel: Knocking much of the Victoria and rebuilding to the back and refurbishing the original historic front/facade and to integrate the two sections into a new high order retail unit, of 25,000 sq ft, over four floors. Rumoured to be taken over by Zara. Planning granted in Feb, appealed with a decision due soon. (If somebody knows the date it would be great)

Metropole Redevelopment: €50m redevelopment of the Metropole Hotel to include a new five-storey boutique hotel on Patrick's Quay. Planning granted with amendments in March. No appeals and got full permission in April. No date for work to start.

MetropoleRefurbishmentImpression2017_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-451976

MacCurtain Street/York Street Hotel: 8 floor 73 bed hotel. Planning granted in March, appealed soon after and withdrawn at the end of April. Construction to start before the end of the year.

Wilton Shopping Centre: €100 million revamp proposed. Mistake made in planning permission. In the process of resubmitting. No updates.

Wilton-SC-CGI-03-600x480.jpg

Student accommodation: Crows Nest (250 beds) has planning and should hopefully start at some stage this summer, UCC expect it open for Sept 2020. The Square Deal (228 beds) appeal was withdrawn and it now has full planning permission. O’Riordans Joinery (322 beds) was due for decision on the 24th of May but I've heard nothing? Farranlea Road (145 beds) had planning approved and decision due on June 11th. Kelleher Tyres site on Victoria Cross Rd (124 beds) and their 5 storey apartment block were asked for further information.

Tramore Valley Park: Despite being mostly completed years ago the park remains in limbo with regard to an opening date. This month Ann Doherty, chief executive of Cork City Council, said that the plan was to have the amenity open in ‘August or September.’

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: This is currently at the tender stage now with some time, a tender award is expected in Q2 2018. The project is expected to fully start in Q1 2019 as a comprehensive traffic management plan will have to be put in place by the contractor. Some site clearance and early works are ongoing at present, and some preliminary work is expected to go ahead in Q4 2018.

N22 Macroom to Ballyvourney (bypasses Macroom and Ballyvourney): The tender process for this started last week, with candidates invited to apply to the prequalification stage until early June. After this, candidates will be invited to tender in July 2018 when the official tender process will begin. The project is currently programmed to begin in Q1 2020 but there is scope for acceleration of this

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was submitted to An Bord Pleanala in May 2017 and a decision was expected to be published in December 2017, which was delayed to April 2018 and still hasn't been released. The project has been held up by a small but vocal group of local individuals objecting on a range of fronts primarily environmental and related to noise and pollution, in addition to a belief that TII & Cork County Council are trying to create congestion in Rochestown and Douglas. The decision is expected ASAP however an appeal is expected if it is approved. A big "watch this space"...

M20 Cork-Limerick: This tender process for the design and planning of this scheme went out last week with route selection expected to begin in September 2018. The project, if approved, will likely start around 2022 and open in 2025/2026.

In Limbo

Event Centre: 6,000 all seater multi purpose event centre with a tourist brewery experience. Arguably the most controversial construction project in the history of the city. After a bleak 6 months at the back end of 2017 there have been two instances of positive murmurs from the Government and BAM in January 2018 and April 2018. Construction allegedly to start in Q4 2018 but there are still conflicting and contradictory statements from all parties involved. Bad month for the events centre with construction put back to Q1 2019 at the earliest pending new planning permission

CorkEventCentre_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-467028

Ikea: Announced as a certainty for Carrigtwohill by The Examiner late last year. Ikea themselves poured some water over it a few months later but confirmed they are looking for a site in Cork. Nothing since bar this interesting tweet today:

https://twitter.com/IKEAUKSupport/status/1002178248602734597

Anderson Quay/Camden Quay/Trinity Quarter: All have had planning for years with no work on site. Camden Quay allegedly had some work going on last month but nothing materialized in terms of actual construction. I can't see any of these sites being developed as per their current proposals. Nothing gain this month as I expected but somebody did do a cool mock up of the Prism and Anderson Quay:

https://i.redditmedia.com/TmKsBOTF0CC0MihMNomd-wzkHJBeRxpvfGQfmITURNs.png?

Student Accommodation: Coca-Cola site (484 beds) on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened? Model Farm Road/Melbourne Road (344 beds) has had planning for two years.

Penny's Patrick Street: A few days ago Lawrence Owens of the CBA said “This planning process has been going on for a long time,” “When it happens it will transform the area, and bring vibrancy in terms of the size and scale of the project. We are just hoping that this development, which has been mooted for two to three years, can happen sooner rather than later.” Don't hold your breath!

Merchants Quay: Has had planning permission since July 2015.The last article I found on it was from 2017 and said: It is understood that work won't begin until early next year to minimise disruption to shoppers over the coming Christmas shopping period, though sources close to the development are confident that the work will be finished by late 2018.

image.jpg

M40 Cork North Ring Road: This project was included in the National Development Plan and will be reactivated if there is a requirement to connect the M20 to the motorway network around Cork. The road remains a priority for people on the Northside (including Apple) but not to central Government.

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. The project will be sent for appraisal in 2018 and if it merits will be prioritised for delivery. The scheme was at route selection stage when suspended.

The remainder of schemes planned for Cork (N22 Macroom-Ovens, N25 Midleton-Youghal, N40 North Ring West, N71 dualling) all remain suspended.

Concept/Pre Planning

Docklands Tower: 40 storey mixed use tower with the redevelopment of the existing customs house warehouses into cultural, tourist and retail space. By a mile the most ambitious development in Ireland. Announced over one year ago and no sign of a planning permission application yet, allegedly waiting for the Docklands development plan this summer to rezone heights for the site. If we don't see a planning application by the end of the year I'd be worried.

portOfCorkProposedTower_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-786458

Ford Distribution Depot: Put on sale last month. Former site of the extremely ambitious Atlantic Quarter. Major development opportunity. Rumored to be a residential development with over 1,000 apartments. I saw a deadline for the sale but can't remember the date, I think it was the end of July.

Transportation: A Cork light rail and/or BRT system got vague mentions in Ireland 2040 but its rumoured something more concrete will be announced at the end of the summer. Bus connects was allocated 300 million in funding in the 2040 plan. The Eastern Gateway Bridge remains a concept

I'll be watching out for the docklands development plan which is set to be released this month and should answer a lot of transportation questions as well as setting out some more long term plans for the area. It should also free up the Docklands Tower to apply for planning. The Sullivan's quay final decision will be late next month too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,380 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Regarding Ikea and that tweet, I think/heard something will happen, but not at the movie junction site. There is a large company intending to go in there though, it's at the very early stages of organising though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Is that it? :)

I think BAM were looking to increase the bed count in the Sullivan's Quay proposal from 193 to 220, I don't know if that involved an increase in height, or if that idea has been shelved.

Also I think the "M" hotel adjacent to the Metropole may have been reduced in height, meaning the upper of the two 'bridges' between the two hotels isn't going to happen. Pity, if so!

There was query about housing developments a while back:
    Cork City Council confirmed that it has signed the main contract with Conack Construction to deliver 65 homes on the site of the former Deanrock flats in Togher.The scheme includes 32 three-bed houses; 24 two-bed houses; four two-bed maisonettes; three two-bed apartments; two four-bed houses; and a community building. They should be ready be the end of next year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/work-finally-starts-on-16m-cork-social-housing-scheme-471271.html

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

June update

Under Construction

Navigation Square: Four building office development on the former Navigation House site on Albert Quay. 310,000 sq ft of office space for up to 3,000 employees. First phase to be completed Feb 19' Clearstream to be the anchor client

gallery-navigationsquare-night-thumb.jpg

89-90 South Mall: 50,000 sq ft office, 5 storey office building.To be completed in December 18' KPMG rumoured to be anchor client

Dalata Hotel South Mall: Six storey hotel, 165 beds. To be completed in December 18'

CorkCityRedevelopmentProjects190218a_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-467356

Student : Western Road/Muskerry Service Station (190 beds) has one crane and the Beamish site (413 beds) has two tower cranes erected. Copley Street (126 beds) should be finished by 2019 and Student Hub in UCC has one tower crane up.

Marina Park: Under construction with first phase to open in Q1 2019.

Industrial projects: Johnson & Johnson (biggest construction project in Cork), MSD, Eli Lilly (all above 100 million).

Hospital: New wing at Bons Secour has one tower crane and CUH oncology centre has one crane

There are currently 9 tower cranes in the city all listed above. Before people get too excited it should be kept in mind that the crane count is 78 in Dublin and around 23 in Belfast. Dublin is in a league of its own for a city of it's size in a developed nation, the scale of the current development and what's coming on stream there is in a whole other stratosphere to the rest of the Island. I couldn't find a crane count for Limerick but I believe the Hanging Gardens is under construction. Galway seems to have little interest in riding the current boom.

Planning/Appealed

Horgan's Quay: Office Space for 5,000 employees, 200 apartments, 136 bed hotel and 3,000 sq metres of restaurants and retail. Got planning permission in March but it was appealed by Port of Cork. Appeal withdrawn in April. Construction on the Hotel will hopefully begin this summer with the office and apartments commencing in 2019.

HorgansQuayDevelopment060917_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-804981

Sullivan's Quay: 6 storey Office & 193 bed, 12 storey, 4 star Hotel. Planning granted and immediately appealed. Given that demolition is nearly complete I'd expect this to go into construction as soon as planning is granted. Potential hold up over the height of the hotel, at 47 metres, it is set to make the top 20 tallest buildings in the state if completed. An Taisce not happy. Final planning decision delayed until June 29th.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

The Prism: A 15 storey 70 metre office development on the triangle site on Clontarf Street. Planning lodged in the middle of May and a decision is due on the 10th of July.

image.jpg

Penrose Dock: 7 and 9 floor office development in the area bounded by Penrose quay, Railway street, Alfred street and Brian Boru street. Submitted for planning at the end of May, decision due on 19th of July.

PenroseQuayCGI2_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-844749

Former Victoria Hotel: Knocking much of the Victoria and rebuilding to the back and refurbishing the original historic front/facade and to integrate the two sections into a new high order retail unit, of 25,000 sq ft, over four floors. Rumoured to be taken over by Zara. Planning granted in Feb, appealed with a decision due soon. (If somebody knows the date it would be great)

Metropole Redevelopment: €50m redevelopment of the Metropole Hotel to include a new five-storey boutique hotel on Patrick's Quay. Planning granted with amendments in March. No appeals and got full permission in April. No date for work to start.

MetropoleRefurbishmentImpression2017_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-451976

MacCurtain Street/York Street Hotel: 8 floor 73 bed hotel. Planning granted in March, appealed soon after and withdrawn at the end of April. Construction to start before the end of the year.

Wilton Shopping Centre: €100 million revamp proposed. Mistake made in planning permission. In the process of resubmitting. No updates.

Wilton-SC-CGI-03-600x480.jpg

Student accommodation: Crows Nest (250 beds) has planning and should hopefully start at some stage this summer, UCC expect it open for Sept 2020. The Square Deal (228 beds) appeal was withdrawn and it now has full planning permission. O’Riordans Joinery (322 beds) was due for decision on the 24th of May but I've heard nothing? Farranlea Road (145 beds) had planning approved and decision due on June 11th. Kelleher Tyres site on Victoria Cross Rd (124 beds) and their 5 storey apartment block were asked for further information.

Tramore Valley Park: Despite being mostly completed years ago the park remains in limbo with regard to an opening date. This month Ann Doherty, chief executive of Cork City Council, said that the plan was to have the amenity open in ‘August or September.’

N8/N25/N40 Dunkettle Interchange: This is currently at the tender stage now with some time, a tender award is expected in Q2 2018. The project is expected to fully start in Q1 2019 as a comprehensive traffic management plan will have to be put in place by the contractor. Some site clearance and early works are ongoing at present, and some preliminary work is expected to go ahead in Q4 2018.

N22 Macroom to Ballyvourney (bypasses Macroom and Ballyvourney): The tender process for this started last week, with candidates invited to apply to the prequalification stage until early June. After this, candidates will be invited to tender in July 2018 when the official tender process will begin. The project is currently programmed to begin in Q1 2020 but there is scope for acceleration of this

M28 Cork-Ringaskiddy: This project was submitted to An Bord Pleanala in May 2017 and a decision was expected to be published in December 2017, which was delayed to April 2018 and still hasn't been released. The project has been held up by a small but vocal group of local individuals objecting on a range of fronts primarily environmental and related to noise and pollution, in addition to a belief that TII & Cork County Council are trying to create congestion in Rochestown and Douglas. The decision is expected ASAP however an appeal is expected if it is approved. A big "watch this space"...

M20 Cork-Limerick: This tender process for the design and planning of this scheme went out last week with route selection expected to begin in September 2018. The project, if approved, will likely start around 2022 and open in 2025/2026.

In Limbo

Event Centre: 6,000 all seater multi purpose event centre with a tourist brewery experience. Arguably the most controversial construction project in the history of the city. After a bleak 6 months at the back end of 2017 there have been two instances of positive murmurs from the Government and BAM in January 2018 and April 2018. Construction allegedly to start in Q4 2018 but there are still conflicting and contradictory statements from all parties involved. Bad month for the events centre with construction put back to Q1 2019 at the earliest pending new planning permission

CorkEventCentre_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-467028

Ikea: Announced as a certainty for Carrigtwohill by The Examiner late last year. Ikea themselves poured some water over it a few months later but confirmed they are looking for a site in Cork. Nothing since bar this interesting tweet today:

https://twitter.com/IKEAUKSupport/status/1002178248602734597

Anderson Quay/Camden Quay/Trinity Quarter: All have had planning for years with no work on site. Camden Quay allegedly had some work going on last month but nothing materialized in terms of actual construction. I can't see any of these sites being developed as per their current proposals. Nothing gain this month as I expected but somebody did do a cool mock up of the Prism and Anderson Quay:

https://i.redditmedia.com/TmKsBOTF0CC0MihMNomd-wzkHJBeRxpvfGQfmITURNs.png?

Student Accommodation: Coca-Cola site (484 beds) on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened? Model Farm Road/Melbourne Road (344 beds) has had planning for two years.

Penny's Patrick Street: A few days ago Lawrence Owens of the CBA said “This planning process has been going on for a long time,” “When it happens it will transform the area, and bring vibrancy in terms of the size and scale of the project. We are just hoping that this development, which has been mooted for two to three years, can happen sooner rather than later.” Don't hold your breath!

Merchants Quay: Has had planning permission since July 2015.The last article I found on it was from 2017 and said: It is understood that work won't begin until early next year to minimise disruption to shoppers over the coming Christmas shopping period, though sources close to the development are confident that the work will be finished by late 2018.

image.jpg

M40 Cork North Ring Road: This project was included in the National Development Plan and will be reactivated if there is a requirement to connect the M20 to the motorway network around Cork. The road remains a priority for people on the Northside (including Apple) but not to central Government.

N25 Carrigtwohill-Midleton: This project is included in the National Development Plan having been suspended in 2011. The project will be sent for appraisal in 2018 and if it merits will be prioritised for delivery. The scheme was at route selection stage when suspended.

The remainder of schemes planned for Cork (N22 Macroom-Ovens, N25 Midleton-Youghal, N40 North Ring West, N71 dualling) all remain suspended.

Concept/Pre Planning

Docklands Tower: 40 storey mixed use tower with the redevelopment of the existing customs house warehouses into cultural, tourist and retail space. By a mile the most ambitious development in Ireland. Announced over one year ago and no sign of a planning permission application yet, allegedly waiting for the Docklands development plan this summer to rezone heights for the site. If we don't see a planning application by the end of the year I'd be worried.

portOfCorkProposedTower_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-786458

Ford Distribution Depot: Put on sale last month. Former site of the extremely ambitious Atlantic Quarter. Major development opportunity. Rumored to be a residential development with over 1,000 apartments. I saw a deadline for the sale but can't remember the date, I think it was the end of July.

Transportation: A Cork light rail and/or BRT system got vague mentions in Ireland 2040 but its rumoured something more concrete will be announced at the end of the summer. Bus connects was allocated 300 million in funding in the 2040 plan. The Eastern Gateway Bridge remains a concept

I'll be watching out for the docklands development plan which is set to be released this month and should answer a lot of transportation questions as well as setting out some more long term plans for the area. It should also free up the Docklands Tower to apply for planning. The Sullivan's quay final decision will be late next month too.

Excellent post, some effort. Cork is at the beginning of major development boom. It is clearly a couple of years behind Dublin, but many years of limerick Galway and Waterford - in development activity terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Any indication when the next building in navigation square will commence construction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

89-90 South Mall: 50,000 sq ft office, 5 storey office building.To be completed in December 18' KPMG rumoured to be anchor client

89/90 is that building on the very right of picture, is that a seperate development in the centre of that picture (the white building?)
    Any idea what the "mistake" was?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Shedite27 wrote: »

They didn't mention there was an environmental impact statement available as part of the newspaper notice they published. Or something similarly bureaucratic.

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »

89/90 is that building on the very right of picture, is that a seperate development in the centre of that picture (the white building?)
    Cheers updated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

€16 million for 65 homes - so ~€250,000 per home, on land the council already owns. Is it just me, or is this a bit......expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Any indication when the next building in navigation square will commence construction?

September.The bulk of phase 1 is due for completion in December.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Absolutely fantastic post again snotboogie. You'd feel very positive and optimistic for our city reading it!

Had a couple of thoughts after being down at the Cork game in the Pairc last night. The amount of land available along the Marina for development is astounding. The sooner this gets going the better and should provide some much needed accessible accomodation to complement all the new office developments in the city centre.

At the minute, the view from the Blackrock Terrace towards town is dominated by the Elysian. It'll be nice to watch that skyline fill up over the next few years.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Anyone know what's going with this site at the end of the Mardyke, pretty much across the road from the sacred heart church? It's been sitting idle for ages now, would have thought it was tailor made for student accommodation :confused:

452446.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

opus wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going with this site at the end of the Mardyke, pretty much across the road from the sacred heart church? It's been sitting idle for ages now, would have thought it was tailor made for student accommodation :confused:

452446.jpg

Scandalous that they were ever given permission to demolish a nice terrace of houses here. Made no sense to me at the time and still doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Scandalous that they were ever given permission to demolish a nice terrace of houses here. Made no sense to me at the time and still doesn't.

That was a really nice terrace, too.

It had the Carmalite stores in that terrace and towards the end, the sign started to fall down leaving the armalite stores!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Has the article been taken down? The direct link isn't working for me, and I can't see the story on their site.

Advertisement