Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

I think it would have been nice to have some lights actually in the arches, would stand out a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

rounders wrote: »
    That’s quite nice in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Seems like the Docklands Tower has been revised down to less than 30 storeys pre planning:
    Port of Cork: The site of the protected Customs House and Bonded Warehouses has been bought by New York-based Kevin O’Sullivan’s Tower Holdings Group subject to planning permission. The initial suggestion of a 30- to 40-storey tower on the quay has been scaled back and the design team to be appointed shortly will include an international architect working with local firms in a package of 60 components. The plans for hotel, office and residential accommodation are currently under discussion with City Hall.

The architectural revival transforming Cork’s landscape

I get the impression that planning permission is imminent, probably after the Prism decision. Also disappointing to see Pat Ledwidge stepping down, apparently senior Cork City Councilors were going to reject planning for Penrose Dock before he intervened

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

snotboogie wrote: »
    Seems like the Docklands Tower has been revised down to less than 30 storeys pre planning:

I get the impression that planning permission is imminent, probably after the Prism decision.

I think any realistic person will know that there was never going to be a 40-story tower built on that site, the developers knew this from the very start but its classic overstating. I suspect if (big if) something is built there, it'll be in the 17 - 25 story bracket at the very most, which to be honest if done correctly will still look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

CHealy wrote: »
    I think any realistic person will know that there was never going to be a 40-story tower built on that site, the developers knew this from the very start but its classic overstating. I suspect if (big if) something is built there, it'll be in the 17 - 25 story bracket at the very most, which to be honest if done correctly will still look great.

Agree with this. I would be happy to see those bonded warehouses get a new lease of life. If there is a landmark building included also, then all the better.

There is so much potential to that site, but like a lot of places on the docks, it is just an eye sore at the moment.

• Advertisement

Meursault wrote: »
    Agree with this. I would be happy to see those bonded warehouses get a new lease of life. If there is a landmark building included also, then all the better.

There is so much potential to that site, but like a lot of places on the docks, it is just an eye sore at the moment.

Mr.Artist and friends would lead you to believe they are the most beautiful must-be protected structures in the world. I think they are disgusting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I get the impression that planning permission is imminent, probably after the Prism decision. Also disappointing to see Pat Ledwidge stepping down, apparently senior Cork City Councilors were going to reject planning for Penrose Dock before he intervened

Whatever about the 40 storey, this is even more disappointing. A man with unprecedented vision in Irish planning, he will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rounders

marno21 wrote: »
    Whatever about the 40 storey, this is even more disappointing. A man with unprecedented vision in Irish planning, he will be sorely missed.

When did this get announced? Always had great time for the man!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

Now I would be worried about who is replacing Pat Ledwidge. Hope it’s not a councilor/ politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Construction-boom-in-Cork-as-another-crane-joins-the-city-skyline--f7506da7-4c12-413b-98d2-84cc32074b07-ds

Penrose Docks got its first of three cranes up today four weeks ahead of schedule. Due to open April 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

It would be an awful pity if the Port tower ends up less than 30 storeys. After all it is to be the gateway building so to speak.If the one in Mahon at 25 storeys goes ahead, they’ll all end up alike. We’ve only one chance. And to think the height restrictions are after being lifted. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

What about safety concerns about very tall towers though? I think a few say 10 storeys are better than one 30 storey?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

janfebmar wrote: »
    What about safety concerns about very tall towers though? I think a few say 10 storeys are better than one 30 storey?

What sort of safety concerns? Most countries seem to be fine with high towers so why wouldn't Ireland?

IMO, If something is going to be built there it needs to be different and stand out, hence the 40 stories. Building a 20 story which has the possibility of being overtaken in the future is pretty eh. Heck even 34/35 would be amazing. But below that.. Since its such a interesting and important location, having a landmark building would really stand out. I think its almost a perfect location for it really. Right in the centre of all new developments and right at where the rivers rejoin, what beautiful scenery that would show at the top

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Exactly. What if they fell over?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Patrick 1959

it could be that The Mahon Tower could very well be Cork’s tallest building.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Any word of progress on that Mahon tower? Cork badly needs residential development soon!

That site in Mahon will be sold Id imagine, akin to the Wilton Shopping Center site. A plot with planning is more valuable than a plot with none, we wont see development here for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I know right. The Shard in London fell over twice last week alone. Can't trust these tall building at the rate they're tumbling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

???

It's never been done before, world's tallest they say.

• Advertisement

The tallest building in Cork being suburban would be a disappointment to say the least. I'd imagine mahon is contingent on the luas being finished.

CHealy wrote: »
    That site in Mahon will be sold Id imagine, akin to the Wilton Shopping Center site. A plot with planning is more valuable than a plot with none, we wont see development here for a long time.

It's the same people who built the current apartments on Jacobs Island. I'd say that it's unlikely but not impossible that this planning was sought for flipping. Any word on who, if anyone, bought the Wilton site?

Hmmmm....

BAM seeks buyer for 220-bedroom hotel on site of former Cork city tax office
    Agent CBRE has been instructed to offer the hotel for sale in advance of its delivery by its current owners, Bam Property Ltd. The hotel will be delivered to a specification pre-agreed between the parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

to be expected i would say - BAM are not interested in running a hotel so will look for a buyer before building.

okedoke wrote: »
    to be expected i would say - BAM are not interested in running a hotel so will look for a buyer before building.

I think they have a client, the client will operate the hotel but won't own the site. They are looking to sell the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

60% growth in passenger numbers on the 220 since the introduction of 24 hour timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

EnzoScifo wrote: »
    60% growth in passenger numbers on the 220 since the introduction of 24 hour timetable.

Make it free and a lot of people wouldn't go near their cars. ;)

who_me wrote: »
    Make it free and a lot of people wouldn't go near their cars. ;)

We could add a couple of hundred onto motor tax to fund the gap I suppose, but you could argue that would be punative to people no living in Cities, Ireland still has nearly 40% of the population living in rural areas.

I would propose imposing a tax on companies within the urban area that provide staff parking, it is a benefit in kind after all, and then start replacing on street parking with more cycle lanes and better foot paths, keep some loading areas, dissabled spaces and ecar charging points.

At present if you own a car and your company offers free parking, you are going to drive, no other modal choice makes sense. It has to become expensive to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

cgcsb wrote: »
    We could add a couple of hundred onto motor tax
    There’s enough tax/fees paid on buying a car, fuel, motor tax, NCT...
    Asking for hundreds to be added to motor tax is also asking to increase business costs, and therefore the cost of the product bought by the consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭kuro2k

cgcsb wrote: »
    I would propose imposing a tax on companies within the urban area that provide staff parking, it is a benefit in kind after all, and then start replacing on street parking with more cycle lanes and better foot paths, keep some loading areas, dissabled spaces and ecar charging points.

At present if you own a car and your company offers free parking, you are going to drive, no other modal choice makes sense. It has to become expensive to park.

A tax will never happen, government talked about introducing a parking bik tax over 10 years ago

Public / Civil servants benefit most from free city center parking. Very few private sector employees have free parking in urban areas

Advertisement