Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

I thought development had started at the Carmelite Place site across from the Sacred Heart church. However, it looks like the Council are just using it as a depot for works that have started over on Sundays Well.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

kuro2k wrote: »
    A lot of traffic entering the city is simply crossing the river due to a lack of a ring road around the city. Another factor is the number of schools located in the city center, the drop in traffic congestion is really noticeable during school holidays.

Private companies simply do not offer free employee parking unless you are very senior management. For public bodies it seem to be a right.

Cannot see that changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

marno21 wrote: »

I'm surprised by that.
    I submitted on the original scheme, heard nothing whatsoever about the change of plans and heard nothing whatsoever about the approval.

Edit: nothing whatsoever on the website either:
    https://www.corkcoco.ie/public-consultation-part-8s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

I saw a couple of lads poking around in old Specsavers on Cook Street today. I wonder if a new tenant is lined up.

All being bought up by penneys for their expansion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/cork-city-must-change-or-risk-irrelevance-says-outgoing-head-of-planning-911337.html

What a man. All the best to him on his retirement after all he has done for Cork going forward.

Plans for Tivoli redevelopment are ploughing on

https://twitter.com/TyrensUK/status/1107682635126657027?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Are those going to be crossriver ferry stations? Blackrock etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

ofcork wrote: »
    All being bought up by penneys for their expansion.

Be great to see a bit more re-development, Cook st used to be a busier street once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Plans for Tivoli redevelopment are ploughing on

https://twitter.com/TyrensUK/status/1107682635126657027?s=19

Tweet seems to be down

• Advertisement

First taste of bus improvements in Cork has been published with the Wilton Corridor Phase 1, Dennehy's Cross-Wilton Gardens

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/owners-mobilise-over-wilton-road-plans-911784.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

snotboogie wrote: »
    Tweet seems to be down
    Their site still has the news article
    https://www.tyrens-uk.com/en/news/news/tyr%C3%A9ns-appointed-to-develop-masterplan-for-port-of-cork-company/

Here's the original picture:
    Nz9cEt6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

First taste of bus improvements in Cork has been published with the Wilton Corridor Phase 1, Dennehy's Cross-Wilton Gardens

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/owners-mobilise-over-wilton-road-plans-911784.html
    Always going to be some opposition, but the lack of details on the initiative would be a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Shedite27 wrote: »

Are they planning a river ferry? Could build a hub beside the train station which is the furthest upstream it could be due to bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Always going to be some opposition, but the lack of details on the initiative would be a concern.

Agree. Some of those houses have parking for a number of cars and they can swing around and turn before going on to the main road. It's been reported that they are looking to remove 4 to 7 meters with is 13-22 feet, which is a massive chop off a front garden

It's going to be a big issue for people not to reverse out onto the main road if they can't swing around, I can't imagine trying to reverse in on that busy road

olearydc wrote: »
    Agree. Some of those houses have parking for a number of cars and they can swing around and turn before going on to the main road. It's been reported that they are looking to remove 4 to 7 meters with is 13-22 feet, which is a massive chop off a front garden

It's going to be a big issue for people not to reverse out onto the main road if they can't swing around, I can't imagine trying to reverse in on that busy road

The pharmacy by Dennehys cross is going to lose its entire car park.

I think there's parking at the rear as well.
    Not sure if they could run a parallel road behind the houses for residents to access rear house parking, esp with the sports grounds there.
    Without any drawings, tough to gauge the situation.

The pharmacy car park looks ok to me - it seems most of the landtake there is on the other side of the road including the very front of the church car park.

The right turn from the Wilton Road inbound to the Magazine Road has been removed - some people won't be happy about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

olearydc wrote: »

the cycle and bus lanes would give a bit of a buffer there to reverse out, or even better to pull up outside your house and reverse in.

but looking at the google images, most houses would still have enough space to turn around in drive if they wanted to.

The road is a crucial transport corridor in the city, I can empathise with the people living there but it has been obvious for a very long time that eventually that road would need to be upgraded.

The pharmacy car park looks ok to me - it seems most of the landtake there is on the other side of the road including the very front of the church car park.

The right turn from the Wilton Road inbound to the Magazine Road has been removed - some people won't be happy about that.

Maybe in an effort to improve throughput at the junction. Right turns hugely reduce capacity.

• Advertisement

Maybe in an effort to improve throughput at the junction. Right turns hugely reduce capacity.
    Definitely to remove the need for a right turn lane - space wise - and it helps with the traffic light sequence - but I can see there being objections to the removal of the right turn, there aren't too many alternative routes given it connects to both College Road and Magazine Road

Definitely to remove the need for a right turn lane - space wise - and it helps with the traffic light sequence - but I can see there being objections to the removal of the right turn, there aren't too many alternative routes given it connects to both College Road and Magazine Road

Can access via Wilton and the Glasheen Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Are they planning a river ferry? Could build a hub beside the train station which is the furthest upstream it could be due to bridges.

That's what I was wondering. Anyone know if those are planned River ferry stations? That'd be brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That's what I was wondering. Anyone know if those are planned River ferry stations? That'd be brilliant!!

Looks more like a concept/masterplan than firm or detailed plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

The full plans for that phase are in the council website. Only a metre or two is needed.

https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/system/files/materials/473/D03%20Layout%20and%20Land%20Acquision%20WCP%20P1_0.pdf

TheChizler wrote: »
    The full plans for that phase are in the council website. Only a metre or two is needed.

https://consult.corkcity.ie/en/system/files/materials/473/D03%20Layout%20and%20Land%20Acquision%20WCP%20P1_0.pdf

Looks like it's the West side of Wilton road that'll be most affected, and just from the Wilton Gardens road to Dennehys Cross in Phase1.
    Good to see them relocate the bus stop outside the college accommodation up slightly to the new bus lane after Dennehys.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Looks more like a concept/masterplan than firm or detailed plans.

It's extremely hopeful IMO.

And even then, I'd have liked to see two train stations in this plan. A good chunk of the site is over 500m from the proposed station.

Perhaps one station on the West could also service Silversprings and a larger Park & Ride station could be built on the east of the site, west of the Dunkettle Roundabout. I don't think a Park & Ride train station 1km west of Little Island station makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It's extremely hopeful IMO.

And even then, I'd have liked to see two train stations in this plan. A good chunk of the site is over 500m from the proposed station.

Perhaps one station on the West could also service Silversprings and a larger Park & Ride station could be built on the east of the site, west of the Dunkettle Roundabout. I don't think a Park & Ride train station 1km west of Little Island station makes any sense.

We've seen so many masterplans come and go in Cork that I am taking all these nice and shiny schematics with a massive pinch of salt.

In particular the river taxi looks like compete fantasy. Can't see the demand and those things are actually quite expensive to run (insurance/maintenance etc) and therefore the end user tickets will be relatively high. It's the kind of thing you see on these masterplans that never translate into reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

Anyone know if the largest new houses in Crawf*rd Woods are selling. €595,000 for 2075 sq feet. Very overpriced IMO. Is there going to be a price correction on houses in this price bracket in the next few years?

• Advertisement

Anyone know if the largest new houses in Crawf*rd Woods are selling. €595,000 for 2075 sq feet. Very overpriced IMO. Is there going to be a price correction on houses in this price bracket in the next few years?
    It wasn't Crawford Woods, but I do know a couple that sold up to move into a similar priced house; so I reckon those houses will sell, hopefully freeing up other accommodation for sale.
    With current levels of supply, it's a while before price correction.

Advertisement