Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Olivia Pope

It wasn't Crawford Woods, but I do know a couple that sold up to move into a similar priced house; so I reckon those houses will sell, hopefully freeing up other accommodation for sale.
    With current levels of supply, it's a while before price correction.

I’m sure there are houses in the €600k bracket that offer better value. €600k in a big estate with probably little privacy and no garden to speak of in Glanmire. Someone said to me at the weekend that they weren’t selling. So I was just wondering if that was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

snotboogie wrote: »

Glad to see someone highlighting the disparity between apartment building and other forms of construction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

opus wrote: »
    Anyone know what's going with this site at the end of the Mardyke, pretty much across the road from the sacred heart church? It's been sitting idle for ages now, would have thought it was tailor made for student accommodation :confused:

452446.jpg

Looks like things have kicked off at the site as spotted some machinery in there this morning. No idea what's going to built there though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Looks like things have kicked off at the site as spotted some machinery in there this morning. No idea what's going to built there though.

I've moved since but there was a van and digger in there that haven't moved for months, walked past it twice a day up to the beginning of this month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

That strip of lights along Patrick's Bridge doesn't look great in my opinion. It totally hides all the detail of the bridge at night.

First time I have seen it tonight and I was very disappointed as I was expecting some nice architectural lighting picking out the columns and the faces on the arches. Instead it just looks like a modern bridge now due to the strip of bright LEDs along the ledge.

From down the river all I could see was the lights, not the bridge. You can't even see the expensive and ornate lamps on the balustrades because the LED strip is so bright.

The events centre request for information deadline has been set back from April 3rd to July 3rd at the request of BAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The events centre request for information deadline has been set back from April 3rd to July 3rd at the request of BAM.
    Any idea why that would be allowed - either they have information to hand on why progress hasn't taken place or they don't, 3 months to get it together seems...generous

D'Agger wrote: »
    Any idea why that would be allowed - either they have information to hand on why progress hasn't taken place or they don't, 3 months to get it together seems...generous

I assume they are not allocating resources to it until the funding debacle with the city council is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I assume they are not allocating resources to it until the funding debacle with the city council is sorted.

It's not a great sign to be honest. The RFI wasn't especially onerous and could have been addressed relatively quickly. If they had resubmitted and secured planning, they could effectively say to the gov't "the ball is in your court"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

D'Agger wrote: »

Council being spineless as per usual.

Absolutely ridiculous this is now going to be dragged out even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

maxresdefault.jpg
    The building of Corks Events Centre still hasn't begun as there is another 700million needed, BAM and the Council are getting legal advice on the matter.

Absolute farce at this stage. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if the above actually happened!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Council being spineless as per usual.

Absolutely ridiculous this is now going to be dragged out even more.

Why city council being spineless,?
    All city council can do is pull out of the deal, and offer it again, and there probably aren't huge number of takers...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anteayer wrote: »
    That strip of lights along Patrick's Bridge doesn't look great in my opinion. It totally hides all the detail of the bridge at night.

First time I have seen it tonight and I was very disappointed as I was expecting some nice architectural lighting picking out the columns and the faces on the arches. Instead it just looks like a modern bridge now due to the strip of bright LEDs along the ledge.

From down the river all I could see was the lights, not the bridge. You can't even see the expensive and ornate lamps on the balustrades because the LED strip is so bright.

Overdone alright, restoring the bridge was long overdue, they don't need to see it from space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Don't get too excited. It looks like a storage area for nearby road works.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I really think this is a very exciting time for the city. The amount and extent of office development either under construction or in planning is unparalleled in the history of Cork. It will be a game changer I reckon.

Cork is on the cusp of a golden era.

Not if people have to commute from Fermoy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not if people have to commute from Fermoy

True.
    Next to fcuk all housing being built, everything car-centric. Traffic getting worse, city is going to choke on its own success.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Cola Cola going to build a milk plant in Cork. What.

https://twitter.com/jamieleonard123/status/1111031639780585473?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

True.
    Next to fcuk all housing being built, everything car-centric. Traffic getting worse, city is going to choke on its own success.

Yep. Any houses lads????

.....or high quality apartments!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yep. Any houses lads????

.....or high quality apartments!

>600 houses/apartments currently under construction in Glanmire by O'Flynn which will all be city-zoned in a few weeks time. Not sure of the delivery date.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Cola Cola going to build a milk plant in Cork. What.

https://twitter.com/jamieleonard123/status/1111031639780585473?s=21
    N486RW & N586RW of their executive fleet were both in Dublin earlier this week. Wonder if it's connected.

marno21 wrote: »
    N486RW & N586RW of their executive fleet were both in Dublin earlier this week. Wonder if it's connected.

Executives over from Atlanta according to reports. Very short on details though. Does anyone know what this could likely be?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

€10m social housing plan for former company HQ in Cork

SpringvilleHouseCorkAerial_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-913645

Plans to convert a 1960s office block in one of Cork's most desirable residential areas into a €10m social housing scheme have been unveiled.Cork City Council has published a Part 8 planning application today seeking permission to adapt and extend the former Springville House in Blackrock, and then change its use to facilitate the development of 35 residential units within the fabric of the existing office building.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/10m-social-housing-plan-for-former-company-hq-in-cork-913645.html
    An Bord Pleanala refuses planning permission for Bishoptown housing estate

476549.jpg

An Bord Pleanala has refused planning permission for the development of a major housing development near Bishopstown in the south-west of Cork city.Developers, Ardstone Homes sought approval for the construction of 240 new units at Ardarostig, located just south of the N40. The proposals included a mix of houses and apartments, as well as a creche and new entrance onto Waterfall Rd.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/an-bord-pleanala-refuses-planning-permission-for-bishoptown-housing-estate-913964.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

>600 houses/apartments currently under construction in Glanmire by O'Flynn which will all be city-zoned in a few weeks time. Not sure of the delivery date.

Is there anything substantial in the actual city? (old city boundary) Glanmire is not somewhere that's appealing to me.

Is there anything substantial in the actual city? (old city boundary) Glanmire is not somewhere that's appealing to me.

Glanmire is a traffic/Public-Transport blackhole, how they keep getting permission to build there is beyond me.

*Your original comment was correct*

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Glanmire is a traffic/Public-Transport blackhole, how they keep getting permission to build there is beyond me.

*Your original comment was correct*
    It's not just a Cork issue though. Every week when I read through the SHD applications to An Bord Pleanala I see a 300 unit development in an area near Dublin with either no public transport access, poor public transport access or trains that are jam packed in the morning.

The idea in Ireland of building a proper public transport system and then utilising the surrounding land for appropriately dense residential developments still seems to be far outside the box of thought.

marno21 wrote: »
    It's not just a Cork issue though. Every week when I read through the SHD applications to An Bord Pleanala I see a 300 unit development in an area near Dublin with either no public transport access, poor public transport access or trains that are jam packed in the morning.

The idea in Ireland of building a proper public transport system and then utilising the surrounding land for appropriately dense residential developments still seems to be far outside the box of thought.

At least they usually have some kind of road infrastructure, no ideal but present.
    Glanmire doesn't even have capacity to put in a road.

Not that I know of. There are distant dreams of Horgan's Quay and Monaghan Road being high-density living areas but nothing is currently under construction that I know of. Tivoli is even longer down the line.

Glounthaune has several new developments under way, just outside the new city boundary and on a good public transport corridor.

Glanmire isn't great but not for the problems people here are discussing. Yes, transport is almost entirely car-oriented at present but it only got a higher-frequency bus timetable relatively recently. The new O'Flynn development will be around 7km from the middle of the city, which would be very manageable by bicycle, if the council weren't actively undermining it by making the connecting roads as hostile as possible for cyclists.

With sustainable transport infrastructure, there's some cheap, simple, fast opportunities to really transform Glanmire. Unfortunately it's been the county council up to now, who are firmly of the "car-first" mindset, but there's an opportunity for change in the next few months with the change of council.

The bigger problem with Glanmire IMO is the lack of local community/town centre/hub. It's a bit of a sprawly mess at the moment, with single focal point.

• Advertisement

At least they usually have some kind of road infrastructure, no ideal but present.
    Glanmire doesn't even have capacity to put in a road.

There's room to put in fully segregated cycle infrastructure along the existing Glanmire-City corridor but the county council have low interest and lower capability.
    I've dealt directly with some of the engineers and they struggle with even the most basic concepts of what a quality cycle corridor might entail. It's a case of footpaths for pedestrians-with-bikes.

Advertisement