Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭timmyjimmy

The only thing that I can think of is that they're just using the sustainable transport grants as resurfacing funds. Same thing out in Wilton, it's another dog's dinner, but the road is smooth.

This type of thinking is alien to them. I've been variously told by some of the design teams: "hopefully nobody will use it" in reference to bad scheme about to break ground soon..."what about the people driving?" in reference to the narrowing of the footpaths to widen the traffic lanes... and "Well I certainly wouldn't cycle it" in reference to another scheme about to start. These were by the people tasked with designs themselves.

It's cars or nothing, at the moment.

I manage (just about) to cycle to work sometimes but you really are taking your life into your hands cycling along the Lower Glanmire rd in the morning. A cycle bus like they do with the kids in Galway might be an idea to encourage more people to cycle to Little Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

21 weeks since An Taisce’s appeal to ABP regarding The Prism. I think they said 18 weeks for a decision originally, I wonder when we’ll see one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

snotboogie wrote: »
    21 weeks since An Taisce’s appeal to ABP regarding The Prism. I think they said 18 weeks for a decision originally, I wonder when we’ll see one

If it's approved (big IF), it'll be interesting to see if/when construction starts. IMO we're seeing a big mix in approaches, from the "almost immediate" (Penrose Dock, Horgan's Quay etc.) to the "approved then disappear into the netherworld" (Mahon Point tower, Sullivan's Quay hotel etc.)

Since this is - IIRC - the same developer as the Custom House quay tower, it'd give a good indication of the likely progress of that development too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

who_me wrote: »
    If it's approved (big IF), it'll be interesting to see if/when construction starts. IMO we're seeing a big mix in approaches, from the "almost immediate" (Penrose Dock, Horgan's Quay etc.) to the "approved then disappear into the netherworld" (Mahon Point tower, Sullivan's Quay hotel etc.)

Since this is - IIRC - the same developer as the Custom House quay tower, it'd give a good indication of the likely progress of that development too.

The developers were in town a few weeks back so hopefully we’ll hear a bit of positive news soon.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The developers were in town a few weeks back so hopefully we’ll hear a bit of positive news soon.
    Their plan to redevelop a hotel in their hometown got rejected by ABP.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/plans-to-redevelop-landmark-kerry-hotel-deemed-excessive-907776.html

If this gets blocked it'll be quite disappointing for them.

• Advertisement

They were saying a Q1 2019 start if they got no appeals in November. So about a 5 month turnaround.

We are at 6 months since the Mahon Tower was approved. I remember right after a PROC poster said that there would be no way it would start before 2020.

In Cork if BAM, JCD, OCP or a public body are not involved it’s a very bad sign; Camden Quay, Trinity Quarter, Merchants Quay, The M, Wilton SC, Penny’s, the Square Deal and about 5 more major student apartments serve as an example. Post recession, I think the only project which has started without them is the South Mall Maldron.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rebs23

In Cork if BAM, JCD, OCP or a public body are not involved it’s a very bad sign; Camden Quay, Trinity Quarter, Merchants Quay, The M, Wilton SC, Penny’s, the Square Deal and about 5 more major student apartments serve as an example. Post recession, I think the only project which has started without them is the South Mall Maldron.
    That just shows the importance of local developers who have been the backbone of development in Cork for decades.

I've been very critical of BAM (for obvious reasons), but to their credit the Dean hotel is shooting up at an incredible pace, and it took very little time to pretty much level the rest of the HQ site. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I've been very critical of BAM (for obvious reasons), but to their credit the Dean hotel is shooting up at an incredible pace, and it took very little time to pretty much level the rest of the HQ site. Fair play to them.

Is bam the main contractor, or developer and builder on the hotel?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Is bam the main contractor, or developer and builder on the hotel?

Its a joint development between BAM and Clarendon, with BAM seeming to be the main contractors and builders on site. Of the 9 cranes in Cork, 5 are BAM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I look at that and all I can see is - wouldn't that make a spectacular outdoor eating/drinking venue. The venue for the new Sextant? :P

Any idea what was on that site previously?

So my guess is that this has been turned into a carpark to avoid the derelict site tax mentioned in today's Echo.

477021.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Love Cork City but definitely need to brighten up your river side buildings and areas more.

Kilboor wrote: »
    Love Cork City but definitely need to brighten up your river side buildings and areas more.

Amen. The quay-sides themselves need a lot of TLC too; they're in a horrible state, and the Patrick's Bridge renovations show just how good they could look.

Looking at the quay-side opposite my place: the bottom several feet of the quay walls are several feet of sea-weed. Above that, a bit of green algae(?). Then above the water line, the walls are black, covering both the stone and the slapped-on concrete that was clumsily added at some point, then some fairly naff looking railings. Oh, and not to forget the ugly pipes and cables which have been bolted on, and - in the case of the cables - come loose and are hanging down into the river.

It'd be great if they could even renovate one quay (wall, railing, and path) per year.

Amen. The quay-sides themselves need a lot of TLC too; they're in a horrible state, and the Patrick's Bridge renovations show just how good they could look.

Looking at the quay-side opposite my place: the bottom several feet of the quay walls are several feet of sea-weed. Above that, a bit of green algae(?). Then above the water line, the walls are black, covering both the stone and the slapped-on concrete that was clumsily added at some point, then some fairly naff looking railings. Oh, and not to forget the ugly pipes and cables which have been bolted on, and - in the case of the cables - come loose and are hanging down into the river.

It'd be great if they could even renovate one quay (wall, railing, and path) per year.

Exactly this! I'm a Limerick man so a little biased on nice rivers, even Limerick turns its back on the river but in the areas that are nice like the Curragower falls, or the two renovated quays it really really adds a lot to the city and are nice refreshing wide open areas to relax, walk the dog, run etc. Didn't find anything like this in Cork.

Literally the only thing I'd say missing from Cork, great city apart from that! (Oh I could complain about traffic and streets but it's fine I prefer walking there anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Penrose Dock with on-going hotel construction in background.

477041.jpg

credit:https://twitter.com/DylanGLC/status/1113166051716595714

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I was in Ljubljana a while ago and I walked a good chunk of the the river's course through the city. It was an absolute pleasure. In quieter areas of the city there were lovely embankments with weeping willows dangling into the water. In the city centre itself there were lovely restaurants, coffee shops and bars right on the river. What struck me most was there was no vehicular traffic on the quayside. All the river frontage was given over to pedestrians. In Cork (and all Irish cities I think) we are very detached from our rivers and do not really make use of them. My desk at work overlooks the river and there's no way I'd take a lunch time stroll along it, in the city centre at least. It's uninviting and not pretty to look at. As someone else mentioned the quayside walls are not in great condition, the railings are awful etc. It would be great if the river/quays could be made more relevant to people in the city centre like they have managed to do in Ljubljana.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

So what do you think of the OPW/CCC plans to replace the existing quay walls with higher concrete ones to prevent flooding?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

mrpdap wrote: »
    So what do you think of the OPW/CCC plans to replace the existing quay walls with higher concrete ones to prevent flooding?

And all for a bargain price, ( I wonder what the excuse will be, and the revised costings for the whole scheme, when they blow the budget sky high on Morrison Island...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

I would say Cork City has never connected with its river, despite it being a unique feature of the city with the way it splits creating a mini Manhattan-like island.

CHealy wrote: »
    I would say Cork City has never connected with its river, despite it being a unique feature of the city with the way it splits creating a mini Manhattan-like island.

Sewage. Only now is the river/harbour recovering and, unfortunately, at times there is still smell and algal bloom due to over abundance of fertiliser running into the river.

Was the riverbed ever dredged after the main draining to clean up the sludge?

• Advertisement

Exactly this! I'm a Limerick man so a little biased on nice rivers, even Limerick turns its back on the river but in the areas that are nice like the Curragower falls, or the two renovated quays it really really adds a lot to the city and are nice refreshing wide open areas to relax, walk the dog, run etc. Didn't find anything like this in Cork.

Literally the only thing I'd say missing from Cork, great city apart from that! (Oh I could complain about traffic and streets but it's fine I prefer walking there anyway)

There are some very nice walkways, and grassy riverside banks, but not central at all.

Notably - Fitzgerald Park and the Lee Fields (it's a pity there isn't a pedestrian bridge at the end of the Lee Fields so you could return on the far bank). And the Marina is great, and parts of the Mahon ring. But the city-centre riverside areas are generally poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

CHealy wrote: »
    Shure haven't we covered most of it. The most striking aspect of it in the city is the steps up the offices on the Mall.

The walk from Blackrock castle around to Mahon Point really shows what's possible if you had the space/desire

There are some very nice walkways, and grassy riverside banks, but not central at all.

Notably - Fitzgerald Park and the Lee Fields (it's a pity there isn't a pedestrian bridge at the end of the Lee Fields so you could return on the far bank). And the Marina is great, and parts of the Mahon ring. But the city-centre riverside areas are generally poor.

Forgot about the Lee fields, lovely spot as is Fitzgerald Park which I lived across from :D I did mean more in the city centre though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Shure haven't we covered most of it. The most striking aspect of it in the city is the steps up the offices on the Mall.

I know that it still runs under the Grand Parade, it was exposed a few years back during works. But we currently have plenty to work with and not a bit has been done with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

There's definitely a lot more to be done around the riverside - with a bit of ambition and drive. Nice plants, flowerboxes maybe too.

Something the Council sadly lacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

Markcheese wrote: »
    And all for a bargain price, ( I wonder what the excuse will be, and the revised costings for the whole scheme, when they blow the budget sky high on Morrison Island...

The Walls are scheduled to take at least ten years so the budget will be well and truly blown. Never mind the disruption it would cause to the city.
    Maybe they will see sense and go for the tidal barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Tidal barrier is an absolute no brainier.

If the tidal barrier has the ability to keep water levels at even mid tide, then it is basically impossible for cork city to flood given that the tide affects all areas in the city centre.

The walls scheme is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Passed by Clonlara in Kerry Pike last night and there were 4 or 5 cars queueing for a new phase that's being launched on Saturday. Awful situation where people have to spend 2 days in a car to buy a house.

Looks like a nice development though.

Tidal barrier is an absolute no brainier.

If the tidal barrier has the ability to keep water levels at even mid tide, then it is basically impossible for cork city to flood given that the tide affects all areas in the city centre.

The walls scheme is madness.

There was a blog which outlined the negatives of a tidal barrier and it was far from a no brainer. I think the author even posted on this forum. I am no expert on the topic so can’t give an informed opinion but I have very little time for the “save Cork City” crowd who are almost religious in their one sided fervor. They were posting on twitter during the week about Moore’s hotel being like something you’d see on the canal banks of Amsterdam and that it was a Cork Heritage which cannot be knocked. Crazy stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The quaysides are poor alright but wasn't there major uproar last year from the usual suspects with the proposal to remove some parking from Morrison's Quay and make it more pedestrian friendly? Terrible mindset altogether.

Advertisement