Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Couple of interesting tweets over the last few days:
    Looks like the 10th Crane is going up next week:
    https://twitter.com/corkcranecount/status/1117006628417617920?s=21

WTF tweet in relation to the event centre from FG:
    https://twitter.com/vote1oleary/status/1116688555454226433?s=21

Glenveagh applying for 274 apts on the Ursuline Convent site:

http://ursulinegardensshd.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

That millerd st is very narrow could they even get a crane down there street supposed to be closed for a year.

snotboogie wrote: »

WTF tweet in relation to the event centre from FG:
    https://twitter.com/vote1oleary/status/1116688555454226433?s=21

Just threw up in my mouth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

marno21 wrote: »
    https://planning.corkcity.ie/AppFileRefDetails/1938338/0

Looks to be 7 and 8 stories. Great stuff - ideally located close to the bus and train station

Photos/plans are online now.

477730.jpg

477733.jpg

477741.jpg

It looks extraordinarily similar to Penrose Dock

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It looks dreadful beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not sure if its the right thread?

Reports of plenty of cars camped overnight for the release of the heathfield 3rd or 4th phase houses in ballincollig today.
    Prices starting at 325k for I think a 3 bed semi d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Beamishh wrote: »
    It's meters away from the Beamish and Crawford site so why wouldn't it be appropriate? Would bring some much needed footfall to North main Street
    MrDerp wrote: »
    Looks like everything from the north/south Main Street axis West to carrigrogane will be student accommodation. There’s a new CBD emerging in the east of the city centre, and it was one of the pleas by a group campaigning for a south main st Events centre that the core of the city centre would move from historic Cork (and, more importantly, their existing businesses which stood to benefit).

While there’s a certain loss of character, the area is degenerated beyond any likely major retail investment so footfall is to be welcomed in what’s a dark enough corner of town.

The city is dividing into sectors and modernising, which makes sense for scale, and student accommodation is not typically car intensive so it makes sense for city centre living

S50 incentived development could create a virtual ghetto in this 'quarter' of just students. The rents charged by the investors may be beyond the price range of many Irish students, probably targeted at the foreign market, so there may not necessarily be a freeing up of rental properties with students moving into these units.

Theres a definite shortage of student accomadation, but i dont think every such city development south of Patrick St. needs to be student accomdation. At the risk of contradicting myself, I'd prefer to see the colleges do a bit more in the provision of capital investment for student accomdation ( a la Crows nest), Trinners are at it a while.

Theres professionals' demand, family, couples etc. for quality accomadation city living at reasonable cost, throw in Part 5, and it would provide more sustainable development, regeneration and footfall - communities
    Rather than moving to Ballincollig/Carrigaline, and driving in to work in the likes of 1Albert Quay.

However it seems theres money is to made in extracting it from students at the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Reports of plenty of cars camped overnight for the release of the heathfield 3rd or 4th phase houses in ballincollig today.

Yep saw this on twitter last night

https://twitter.com/alanhealy/status/1116833542451941376?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

S50 incentived development could create a virtual ghetto in this 'quarter' of just students. The rents charged by the investors may be beyond the price range of many Irish students, probably targeted at the foreign market, so there may not necessarily be a freeing up of rental properties with students moving into these units.

Theres a definite shortage of student accomadation, but i dont think every such city development south of Patrick St. needs to be student accomdation. At the risk of contradicting myself, I'd prefer to see the colleges do a bit more in the provision of capital investment for student accomdation ( a la Crows nest), Trinners are at it a while.

Theres professionals' demand, family, couples etc. for quality accomadation city living at reasonable cost, throw in Part 5, and it would provide more sustainable development, regeneration and footfall - communities
    Rather than moving to Ballincollig/Carrigaline, and driving in to work in the likes of 1Albert Quay.

However it seems theres money is to made in extracting it from students at the moment...

It’s not that I don’t agree with you to be honest. We need all types of accommodation and I’d like to see some movement towards new dwellings around the docklands.

However I’m ok with student accommodation around that area. It’s a stones throw from the college and suits further development of Cork as a university town. Students should have safe high standard accommodation available to them and when I was in college nearly 20 years ago, plenty of Irish availed of the accommodation in castle white and the student village, and the demand was there for more.

Even if the spots were filled by international students, they often subsidize our own, particularly non EU students.

We need a lot more accommodation in or near the city centre, of all types and I think in the medium term this will be Tivoli and the South docks area

• Advertisement

MrDerp wrote: »
    It’s not that I don’t agree with you to be honest. We need all types of accommodation and I’d like to see some movement towards new dwellings around the docklands.

However I’m ok with student accommodation around that area. It’s a stones throw from the college and suits further development of Cork as a university town. Students should have safe high standard accommodation available to them and when I was in college nearly 20 years ago, plenty of Irish availed of the accommodation in castle white and the student village, and the demand was there for more.

Even if the spots were filled by international students, they often subsidize our own, particularly non EU students.

We need a lot more accommodation in or near the city centre, of all types and I think in the medium term this will be Tivoli and the South docks area

Aye, we've a need for both, but i fear we're incentivising a particular development that might not bring as much benifet as it might to that particular street.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 350125GO!

Apogee wrote: »
    Photos/plans are online now.

Great to see the city develop. Would prefer though if the cladding / colour or shape differed slightly to the rest of the block. Something like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I was playing soccer in Supernova at 11 and there was still cars turning up about 10.45, seemed to be a lot of interest out there.

I think it was for the 1st phase though and there was reports of people being in there car since Friday morning at about 10/11am.

Buddy of mine done similar about 6 months ago for a place out in Kerrypike, went out Fridya evening all night was about 3rd/4th in line.

I think it does highlight the lack of options around the place though if we're going back to the days of people queing up for days for a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I was playing soccer in Supernova at 11 and there was still cars turning up about 10.45, seemed to be a lot of interest out there.

I think it was for the 1st phase though and there was reports of people being in there car since Friday morning at about 10/11am.

Buddy of mine done similar about 6 months ago for a place out in Kerrypike, went out Fridya evening all night was about 3rd/4th in line.

I think it does highlight the lack of options around the place though if we're going back to the days of people queing up for days for a house.

Apparently, there were 27 houses on offer and all sold on Saturday morning. So a lot of people who queued overnight were disappointed. Dreadful state of affairs.
    Why do agents need to sell houses like this, what happened to the good old fashioned method of going into the agency and putting down a deposit? It makes the whole process unnecessarily stressful. Added to that, it would put the likes of me, who is an empty nester, totally off the thought of downsizing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Apparently, there were 27 houses on offer and all sold on Saturday morning. So a lot of people who queued overnight were disappointed. Dreadful state of affairs.
    Why do agents need to sell houses like this, what happened to the good old fashioned method of going into the agency and putting down a deposit? It makes the whole process unnecessarily stressful. Added to that, it would put the likes of me, who is an empty nester, totally off the thought of downsizing.

Developers could easily point to the demand for selling of these houses and once the next batch come on line, they'll bump them up by 10-25k so the next people camping out will be forced to do so and pay even more money.

Its a nasty way to do things but I wouldnt be surprised if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

A small development but still good to see, the building next to the Friary on Shandon St is being renovated & the ground floor turned into an apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

opus wrote: »
    A small development but still good to see, the building next to the Friary on Shandon St is being renovated & the ground floor turned into an apartment.

Was only looking at that building the other day and saying how bad it looked and how people who owned these buildings should be made to do something with them! Great to see it’s being renovated.

Another small development (student flats) looks like it's kicked off just by the entrance to Fitzgeralds park.

477978.jpg

Haha Opus I'm just back from Fitzgeralds Park - had a brisk walk there - we probably crossed paths and didn't even realise :)

I didn't even notice that area to be honest - I must try to be more observant!

https://twitter.com/CorkCraneCount/status/1118455174639575040

10th crane going up in the city. Double figures for the first time since the recession.

• Advertisement

leahyl wrote: »
    Haha Opus I'm just back from Fitzgeralds Park - had a brisk walk there - we probably crossed paths and didn't even realise :)

I didn't even notice that area to be honest - I must try to be more observant!

Don't worry it was actually yesterday after work I was out for a walk there so you didn't snub me :)

Here's some graticious crane action from Millerd St, tooks a walk past it at lunchtime & must admit I didn't realise how big a site they've cleared there.

477990.jpg

opus wrote: »
    Don't worry it was actually yesterday after work I was out for a walk there so you didn't snub me :)

Here's some graticious crane action from Millerd St, tooks a walk past it at lunchtime & must admit I didn't realise how big a site they've cleared there.

:) I work nearby too and try to head down to Fitzies park for a bit of air if the weather is good.

Can't believe there is a crane near Millerd Street - isn't that down near the Mercy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Anyone know what's being built on (if I have the streets right) the junction of White St. and Sawmill St? i.e. 'behind' South Terrace?

Also, there seems to be a large-ish development on Middle Glanmire Road, just before the Montenotte Hotel, anyone know what that is? Easily visible from Albert Quay. It might just be a private dwelling; given the steepness of the terrain you probably need a fairly significant foundation excavation for it.

Had a look on the planning site, but it's fairly awful these days trying to preview the files. The issue with the planning site seems to be a security problem in that it's loading data from non-secure sites. Most modern browsers will block it, causing the page to not load. IE11 is one of the few that'll load it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Dbu

who_me wrote: »
    Anyone know what's being built on (if I have the streets right) the junction of White St. and Sawmill St? i.e. 'behind' South Terrace?

Also, there seems to be a large-ish development on Middle Glanmire Road, just before the Montenotte Hotel, anyone know what that is? Easily visible from Albert Quay. It might just be a private dwelling; given the steepness of the terrain you probably need a fairly significant foundation excavation for it.

Had a look on the planning site, but it's fairly awful these days trying to preview the files. The issue with the planning site seems to be a security problem in that it's loading data from non-secure sites. Most modern browsers will block it, causing the page to not load. IE11 is one of the few that'll load it.

Social Housing on white street, in the old car park

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As posted by snotboogie last week, 274 apartments in Blackrock have been applied to ABP by Glenveagh Homes -> http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304177.htm http://ursulinegardensshd.ie/

Also, HQ Developments have started consultation for 302 apartments on the Horgans Quay site -> http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304139.htm - this is an increase on the 247 previously proposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

StVincentsChurchSundaysWellSale_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-918420
    The sale of a church building and an adjacent development site in Cork’s Sunday’s Well is understood to be progressing between UCC and the Vincentian order.

Included in the offer was the church, a protected structure on a half acre, with an 18-space car park, and, on the city side, a further 1.15-acre, south-facing overgrown development site (with disused basketball court) almost under Sunday’s Well Road, with 88m frontage and zoned for residential.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/ucc-buying-cork-church-and-sundays-well-development-site-918420.html

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

who_me wrote: »

The middle glanmire road development is a small estate of 16 houses. Probably fairly pricey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

snotboogie wrote: »

Hahaha, wouldn't surprise me, if they open the park..to much fanfare . But keep the gates locked...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Advertisement

Tower block in Glanmire refused by Council

Advertisement