Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

Tower block in Glanmire refused by Council

Honestly I am not surprised, in the least. No way should there be high density in the valley, until it's shown that the future road layout can handle it (and that there will actually be a NRR ever!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Took a jog to the Millenium Garden on the Lower Road this afternoon, hadn't been down there for a few weeks, the HQ building is shooting up!

478158.jpg

And the other side:

478159.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Firstly, happy birthday to this fantastic thread which has been a rotating success and celebrated one year last week. Massive thanks to snotboogie and everyone else for their contributions

Secondly, it's great to see Tivoli plans being pushed ahead: http://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Updated-designs-for-Tivolis-redevelopment-are-considered-in-City-Hall-842b4811-c7ac-4a91-8fc2-1641710f64ee-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

C.400 of those already have planning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

namloc1980 wrote: »

C.400 of those already have planning.

Really? Bit confusing as they say the submissions have now gone to ABP.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Really? Bit confusing as they say the submissions have now gone to ABP.

Yeah says so in the article:
    Currently, the HQ Development, a joint venture from Clarendon and BAM Ireland, has approval for 237 apartments, in addition to 37,000 sq m of office space and a hotel with a rooftop bar.

They have now applied to An Bord Pleanála to increase this to 302 apartments.

So that's 65 extra at HQ and at Blackrock:
    The site has previously been the subject of several other planning applications, including an existing approved plan for 141 residential units. Glenveagh hopes to increase this to 274, with 176 car parking spaces also included.

133 extra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

What is happening with that giant pile of rubble where the tax office used to be and why was the building demolished without any prospect of proceeding to construction.

It's an absolute eyesore and looks like the city has been hit by an earthquake or aerial bombardment!

Is the council not able to do anything?

Also what materials are in that pile? Eg is there any asbestos? It's been sitting there blowing around for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Anteayer wrote: »
    What is happening with that giant pile of rubble where the tax office used to be and why was the building demolished without any prospect of proceeding to construction.

It's an absolute eyesore and looks like the city has been hit by an earthquake or aerial bombardment!

Is the council not able to do anything?

Also what materials are in that pile? Eg is there any asbestos? It's been sitting there blowing around for months.
    I've got three letters for you

B

A

M

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

ICYMI - The Irish Examiner are running a series of articles around the development of Cork City:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/maintopics/cork-on-the-rise-4801.html

A lot of the usual suspects and reoccurring themes but still a good read so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    ICYMI - The Irish Examiner are running a series of articles around the development of Cork City:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/maintopics/cork-on-the-rise-4801.html

A lot of the usual suspects and reoccurring themes but still a good read so far.

It's been very disappointing so far, we've had the usual unchallenged Save Cork City bias, a small time article on the artwork of Mad About and an unusually rambling piece from Frank Crowley. All we need is Mr Fried Chicken to be accommodated for an angle shoot to lower his rates or the Mayor of Douglas to remind us all that he's alright jack and in that case we need to stop the M28.

I'd love to see something that tackles broad strategies and their implications. Can we get an overview of CMATS and how it will interact with ongoing and future developments. An update on Cork Airport would be great, something where they discuss future routes and current difficulties. I know Eoin English is going to do something on the Event Centre again but I'd love a detailed article on the other staled projects that we rarely hear about like the Mahon Tower, Sullivan's Quay (we know the pile of rubble is awful but what is stopping this being built), the Victoria Hotel, both Metropole developments, Wilton SC, the Nemo Accommodation, the Square Deal, Penny's and on and on and on...

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Looks like the construction team have moved into the derelict site on North Main Street where Coleman's Lane is located. The lane is now blocked where it was accessible the other day.
    Cannot see anything on the Planning website as to what exactly is being built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Looks like the construction team have moved into the derelict site on North Main Street where Coleman's Lane is located. The lane is now blocked where it was accessible the other day.
    Cannot see anything on the Planning website as to what exactly is being built.

Something related to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

I think the North Main Street activity is probably related to the redevelopment of Edel House on Grattan Street. The rest of that mammoth site doesn't have planning yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Nikki Sixx

Could half of Barrack Street be knocked and redeveloped? A lot of buildings are run down there and seem unused. It’s so near the centre, it seems a pity to leave it go to sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

snotboogie wrote: »
    I know Eoin English is going to do something on the Event Centre again .

I presume English is going to do another hit piece ? That's all he seems to do when it comes to the Event Centre. It would be more informative to try and get behind the story and find out exactly who is holding this up.

Mumha wrote: »
    I presume English is going to do another hit piece ? That's all he seems to do when it comes to the Event Centre. It would be more informative to try and get behind the story and find out exactly who is holding this up.

I have no idea, he did a full chronicle of the timeline about a month ago so he must be taking a new angle. Maybe, hopefully he is going to break some news?

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I think the North Main Street activity is probably related to the redevelopment of Edel House on Grattan Street. The rest of that mammoth site doesn't have planning yet.

Don't think it is related to Edel house. See photo below of activity taken from Grattan St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Nikki Sixx wrote: »
    Could half of Barrack Street be knocked and redeveloped? A lot of buildings are run down there and seem unused. It’s so near the centre, it seems a pity to leave it go to sh1t.

They're all privately owned. The only way you'll get change is organically. The council only has powers, which it rarely uses, to deal with actual dereliction. Houses just being a bit shabby is just reflective of it having been a relatively poor part of the city historically.

The redo of the paving definitely helped and things like the Japanese restaurant on Evergreen Street have been huge improvements and potentially are the seeds of rejuvenation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

I have no idea, he did a full chronicle of the timeline about a month ago so he must be taking a new angle. Maybe, hopefully he is going to break some news?

One lives in hope !

We're told that

- The State can increase the input from €20m to €30m
    - BAM and LiveNation have agreed their financial input

What is of interest to all of us is

- Who is blocking this ?

That's the insightful journalism I want from Eoin English, not a rehashing of what we already know.

SHD consultation started with ABP this week for 118 apartments at South City Link/Rockboro Road/Gasworks Road

Think this is the 2nd consultation regarding this site: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304245.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

marno21 wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken the drawings clearly show roads joining on to Blackrock Avenue by ALDI, am I wrong?

http://ursulinegardensshd.ie/documents/drawings/engineering/1.%20Proposed%20Roads%20Layout.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

TheChizler wrote: »
    If I'm not mistaken the drawings clearly show roads joining on to Blackrock Avenue by ALDI, am I wrong?

The original plan was that there would not be a straight car run through from Aldio to Blackrock, only a pedestrian way. All the new houses currently being built (and the new apartment block) would be accessed by car from the Blackrock side, and the existing houses/duplexes would be from the Aldi side.

Edit: Just looked at the map you linked - that's different again from others I've seen. In all other versions the "red" road didn't exist and the entrance was only from the Blackrock side. That one does look like there'd be a road all the way through from Aldi to the village.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

UCC handed over a big wedge of cash today. Looking forward to the new design. Hopefully they go for something eye catching.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1121424348928147457?s=21

marno21 wrote: »
    SHD consultation started with ABP this week for 118 apartments at South City Link/Rockboro Road/Gasworks Road

Think this is the 2nd consultation regarding this site: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304245.htm

This is the site where they were discussing 10+ stories?

Mumha wrote: »
    One lives in hope !

We're told that

- The State can increase the input from €20m to €30m
    - BAM and LiveNation have agreed their financial input

What is of interest to all of us is

- Who is blocking this ?

That's the insightful journalism I want from Eoin English, not a rehashing of what we already know.

The city council are awaiting legal advice on the funding now. Technically the city council are blocking the project since BAM won’t resubmit planning until the funding is guaranteed. The city council were never mentioned as a further necessary approval step while we were waiting for central government funding, so I have no idea how they are now blocking the project. It’s all pretty opaque and BAM putting what is effectively the sister site at Sullivan’s Quay up for sale just adds to the confusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The city council are awaiting legal advice on the funding now. Technically the city council are blocking the project since BAM won’t resubmit planning until the funding is guaranteed. The city council were never mentioned as a further necessary approval step while we were waiting for central government funding, so I have no idea how they are now blocking the project. It’s all pretty opaque and BAM putting what is effectively the sister site at Sullivan’s Quay up for sale just adds to the confusion.

I thought it was with BAM, to see if they're willing to take on the extra 10m as a loan?
    If they will then it goes back to the Dept for further cost-benifet and approval. I could be wrong (unsurprisingly) but there might even be a European step to it?

https://twitter.com/irishexaminer/status/1121527446958899205

48 page supplement in de paper tomorrow about Cork on the Rise

I really hope that image on the front of the supplement including the Custom House Tower comes true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

Thoie wrote: »
    The original plan was that there would not be a straight car run through from Aldio to Blackrock, only a pedestrian way. All the new houses currently being built (and the new apartment block) would be accessed by car from the Blackrock side, and the existing houses/duplexes would be from the Aldi side.

Edit: Just looked at the map you linked - that's different again from others I've seen. In all other versions the "red" road didn't exist and the entrance was only from the Blackrock side. That one does look like there'd be a road all the way through from Aldi to the village.

Its not actually possible to see from the linked road route there is a straight through from Blackrock village to Aldi.

The plan was always to block off the “The crescent” access by house No.1 on that street, this is much further to the right hand side off that linked map".

If you have a look at p24 (document 8) linked below its states “While there is no direct vehicular route through the site from the Skehard Road to the Blackrock Road, there a number of pedestrian and cyclist routes which are easy to navigate”

ursulinegardensshd.ie/planning-application-documents/planning-and-architectural/

Advertisement