Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Was dropping my car off for a service this morning & walked past another small apartment development - Copley House on Copley St.. According to the planning notice, it's a change of use from 8 student flats to residential. Assume that means a refurb or something. There are a few houses for sale down the road as well in Copley Place, not a bad spot to live I'd imagine as off the road nicely.

478719.jpg

Btw does anyone know what's going with the building that juts out onto the river off the South Mall. Always thought it would make a really cool place to live but looked like quite the money pit.

478720.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Strange time for that Copley St. development to change from student accommodation, given the UCC business school being built nearby 'soon'. I wonder if it's more a case of kicking students out in order to do minor refurbs and put back on the market at much higher rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Planning Granted: Rutland Street Properties Ltd.
    Permission for the change of use and modifications of Granary House (Protected Structure)... from offices to 21 Apartments. Works to include alterations to window fenestration, installation of new dormer windows and roof lights, provision of balconies/winter gardens and creation of new entrance lobby at ground floor level. Internal alterations to include modification of existing layout, floors and roof structure.

https://t.co/v9eAEm3CyL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »
    It's been very disappointing so far, we've had the usual unchallenged Save Cork City bias, a small time article on the artwork of Mad About and an unusually rambling piece from Frank Crowley. All we need is Mr Fried Chicken to be accommodated for an angle shoot to lower his rates or the Mayor of Douglas to remind us all that he's alright jack and in that case we need to stop the M28.

I'd love to see something that tackles broad strategies and their implications. Can we get an overview of CMATS and how it will interact with ongoing and future developments. An update on Cork Airport would be great, something where they discuss future routes and current difficulties. I know Eoin English is going to do something on the Event Centre again but I'd love a detailed article on the other staled projects that we rarely hear about like the Mahon Tower, Sullivan's Quay (we know the pile of rubble is awful but what is stopping this being built), the Victoria Hotel, both Metropole developments, Wilton SC, the Nemo Accommodation, the Square Deal, Penny's and on and on and on...

I was wrong here. I went out and bought the paper and it’s a great read. If you can make it to a shop before it closes go out and buy. I’ll post some photos of interesting pieces once I am finished reading it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

snotboogie wrote: »
    I was wrong here. I went out and bought the paper and it’s a great read. If you can make it to a shop before it closes go out and buy. I’ll post some photos of interesting pieces once I am finished reading it tomorrow.
    Indeed. I meant to post earlier, it is a fantastic publication and well worth reading - will be interesting to look back on it in time too.

Well worth paying €2 for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

marno21 wrote: »
    SHD consultation started with ABP this week for 118 apartments at South City Link/Rockboro Road/Gasworks Road

Think this is the 2nd consultation regarding this site: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304245.htm
    https://twitter.com/Cumngetmee/status/1121832169779945476

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Another month has almost passed by without any sign of CMATS.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Indeed. I meant to post earlier, it is a fantastic publication and well worth reading - will be interesting to look back on it in time too.

Well worth paying €2 for it.

Agreed. Well worth buying.

There were however a few very dry pieces from both local authorities. These were not thought provoking essays.

I thought the Michael O Flynn article was out of place and I have no idea why he continues to be given a platform, when all he is campaigning for these days is lots and lots of suburban sprawl and to be allowed to develop on unzoned land.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

SHD consultation started with ABP this week for 118 apartments at South City Link/Rockboro Road/Gasworks Road

Think this is the 2nd consultation regarding this site: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/304245.htm

Woah...how noisy would it be in an apartment perched over the South City Link Road!? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

Elysian?

• Advertisement

ofcork wrote: »
    Elysian?

Fair-ish point. But the traffic is really moving at that point on the SCLR - think outbound vehicles accelerating up the rise, especially trucks. Around the Elysian though it's slow moving or stationary.

Also, the SCLR is quite canyon-like around the proposed development so I'd have thought the traffic noise has fewer directions in which to escape and would reverberate more. I'm an aircon off and windows down kinda guy. When driving past the proposed development the ambient noise is a lot higher than at the Elysian.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

cantalach wrote: »
    Woah...how noisy would it be in an apartment perched over the South City Link Road!? No thanks.

All the dust and sh1t ending up on the windows. It'd look grotty after a short time without diligent cleaning.

True I assume that's the site by the garage it used to be a railway line was actually narrower than now.

True I assume that's the site by the garage it used to be a railway line was actually narrower than now.

No, it's a bit further out, on the left immediately after the Boreenmanna Road lights. The site adjoins Rockboro School. Thing is, that last 100m of Boreenmanna Road is a mess during the morning rush hour as it is, and providing access for 100+ apartments on top of that isn't exactly going to help.

By the time these are completed, in the absence of modern mass public transport, it is assumed that flying hover cars will be on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Elysian?

The bottom few floors in the Elysian do suffer from noise pollution from the road, especially the smaller cores along eglington street, emergency vehicles using it every few hours, sound proofing in the windows is poor

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

cantalach wrote: »
    No, it's a bit further out, on the left immediately after the Boreenmanna Road lights. The site adjoins Rockboro School. Thing is, that last 100m of Boreenmanna Road is a mess during the morning rush hour as it is, and providing access for 100+ apartments on top of that isn't exactly going to help.

What is after the Boreenmanna Road Lights ?

The apartment development is immediately after the filling station in the currently empty site, note where the pedestrian foot bridge is in the photograph.
    The area you have mentioned has existing homes higher up and are accessed from High Street.

It was all an area set aside for rail freight, a goods yard as such. The railway line used to be where the SCLR is now and that line used to serve West Cork

I know have video/dvd/books of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Why would anyone perch a building hanging over what is probably one of the busiest and tightest dual carriageways in the state?

If there's any maintenance issue, it risks closing a major access route out of the city.

Even the construction of that looks like it would need lane closures.

I think TII would have very valid reasons for objecting to that development.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    The apartment development is immediately after the filling station in the currently empty site, note where the pedestrian foot bridge is in the photograph.
    The area you have mentioned has existing homes higher up and are accessed from High Street.

Aha. My bad. Spot on. I misidentified the location from the CGI render. Still a sh1te location for an apartment mind you.

kub wrote: »
    It was all an area set aside for rail freight, a goods yard as such. The railway line used to be where the SCLR is now and that line used to serve West Cork

1424543_666622610049224_1055305367_n.jpg

That bridge is a footbridge now.

The opposite direction towards where the Elysian now stands:

DOvmf4nWAAADF2z.jpg

From inside the station looking out. The Elysian complex sits on everything in this view.

albert-quay.jpg

I remember that being still there when an post had the site.

Such a pity that it's gone.

I remember that being still there when an post had the site.

On the ball, I remember it as well.

Fantastic pictures namloc 1980 thank you.

That bridge is a footbridge now.

That bridge was demolished, what's there now is a new structure in same location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,193 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

mire wrote: »
    I thought the Michael O Flynn article was out of place and I have no idea why he continues to be given a platform, when all he is campaigning for these days is lots and lots of suburban sprawl and to be allowed to develop on unzoned land.

That piece annoyed me no end as well. His main solutions were:
    1. Reduce VAT on new developments - with the promise that developers such as himself wouldn't just go ahead and trouser this money
    2. Increase the Central Bank Lending limits for mortgages
    3. Remove onerous planning regulations

Basically wants to plough full steam ahead back to the Celtic Tiger days where the likes of him got rich off of people losing the run of themselves with borrowed money buying substandard accommodation

Advertisement