Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Point 2 isn't even in government control. The ECB will not allow Ireland to go into another mortgage credit bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

1. Reduce VAT on new developments - with the promise that developers such as himself wouldn't just go ahead and trouser this money
    I think the point is that they might need to. At the moment there's so little private residential development because there's no profit in it. They don't do it out of the good of their hearts. Some developers say standards for new builds are too restrictive as well, making them too costly to build. Nobody wants to go back to the poor standards of the mid 00s but maybe something between then and now would be suitable to get past the current crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

cantalach wrote: »
    Woah...how noisy would it be in an apartment perched over the South City Link Road!? No thanks.

The Dean hotel is being built immediately next to the train lines (and at the exit to the tunnel too, for extra reverb/megaphone effect!). Methinks Cork developers are going to get lots of practice at sound-proofing. I hope!!

(I actually don't mind the sound of traffic. After a while, I actually find it very soothing - then whenever I'm living in the suburbs or visiting parents in the country I find the silence really jarring).

The issue I'd see what that location isn't the noise. Rather, the access too the side of the building would require putting equipment and scaffolding onto the edge of a very busy dual carriageway that's a fundamental artery in and out of the city. There's absolutely no way that you can close or reduce volumes on the South Link, without causing a massive impact on access in and out of the city.

You don't encroach things onto key infrastructure like that unless there's a damn good reason and it's totally unavoidable or there's some legacy issue that you cannot get around.

It's also a reason why the M-designation for the N40 South Ring is absolutely essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

namloc1980 wrote: »
    1424543_666622610049224_1055305367_n.jpg
    Maybe interesting fact, the stone arches behind the filling station used to support the water storage tanks for the trains so I've been told

M2Jel6U.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

They're not hanging around with the apartments on Millerd St, assume that's the lift shaft gone up.

478970.jpg

Also assume this is the next development just down the road from there as it also had a planning notice for apartments.

478971.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

namloc1980 wrote: »
    1424543_666622610049224_1055305367_n.jpg

Cheers for these photos, I'd never seen any of those railways. Crazy to think how well-served Cork was with railways/trams back in the day. You could hop on a train in Schull, switch at Skibbereen (different rail gauge), then carry on into the Albert Quay terminus in the city centre. If only we had that now.

On a semi-related note, can anyone tell me why the "site location" maps on the Cork City planning site often show on ancient ordinance survey maps? I was looking for the site of the 11 story development above and the maps were so old they still had this Albert Quay terminus and rail lines on them. Is there a reason they can't/don't use maps from the last 20 years?

Unfortunately they were basically replaced by changing technology and also changing economics.

In hindsight it was a bad idea but if you look at the spread of population and the move away from primary agriculture as the only economic driver. A lot of the railways' business came from moving cattle rather than passengers.

Really we've now built a society that can only be made transport sustainable by green energy and electric cars.

snotboogie wrote: »

Student accommodation:

The old Crows Nest site (250 beds) got planning in March for 10 and 8 storey student accommodation and should hopefully start at some stage this year, UCC expect it open for Sept 2020. Appointing contractor in Dec for start in mid Jan 2018. No start in Q1. Hopefully this will start in May 2019.

https://twitter.com/CISireland/status/1111656253049241600

CN_Scene-7---Test-1.jpg

Was out for a jog along the Straight Road this evening & spotted a JCB in the old car park for the Crow's Nest, about to kick off maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

opus wrote: »
    Was out for a jog along the Straight Road this evening & spotted a JCB in the old car park for the Crow's Nest, about to kick off maybe?

Sign of the times that the first thought to pop into my head when I read "JCB" was "ATM heist".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

who_me wrote: »
    Cheers for these photos, I'd never seen any of those railways. Crazy to think how well-served Cork was with railways/trams back in the day. You could hop on a train in Schull, switch at Skibbereen (different rail gauge), then carry on into the Albert Quay terminus in the city centre. If only we had that now.

On a semi-related note, can anyone tell me why the "site location" maps on the Cork City planning site often show on ancient ordinance survey maps? I was looking for the site of the 11 story development above and the maps were so old they still had this Albert Quay terminus and rail lines on them. Is there a reason they can't/don't use maps from the last 20 years?

Also had terminus stations at Albert Street for the Cork, Blackrock and Passage Railway, Capwell for the West Cork Railway, and Western Road for the Cork and Muskerry Railway. How about this picture of the Western Road train station - more or less where the River Lee hotel now sits. It closed in 1934:

muskerry-railway-image-1.png

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Discussion on whether the boom is back in Cork or not from Newstalk earlier today

https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/dublin-gets-everything-cork-city-just-poor-second-cousin

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anteayer wrote: »
    Really we've now built a society that can only be made transport sustainable by green energy and electric cars.

Good luck with that. The pretence that is green energy and cars impractical and unaffordable for most, and which still clog up roads just like conventional cars.
    Meanwhile people have endure a bus service that's worse than useless at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

marno21 wrote: »

There is nothing more cringe worthy than a vox pop in cork. The two lads interviewed at the end were embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Good luck with that. The pretence that is green energy and cars impractical and unaffordable for most, and which still clog up roads just like conventional cars.
    Meanwhile people have endure a bus service that's worse than useless at peak times.

Electric cars only play a small role in a sustainable transport future. The transition towards sustainability will be mostly achieved through more people living in bigger cities with shorter commute distances on more efficient modes. The electric car sources it's energy from cleaner sources than conventional cars however it is still an extremely inefficient use of energy to move a single person, not to mention a waste of road capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

cgcsb wrote: »
    Electric cars only play a small role in a sustainable transport future. The transition towards sustainability will be mostly achieved through more people living in bigger cities with shorter commute distances on more efficient modes. The electric car sources it's energy from cleaner sources than conventional cars however it is still an extremely inefficient use of energy to move a single person, not to mention a waste of road capacity.

There is a trend to conflate electric cars, Autonomous cars, and car sharing services (like go car),
    There probably will end up being a lot of all 3,
    , from a development point of view its the car sharing that's the most important part, if you don't need to own a car, then you don't need a car parking Space,
    Of course if public transport is still lousey you'll need your car...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    There is a trend to conflate electric cars, Autonomous cars, and car sharing services (like go car),
    There probably will end up being a lot of all 3,
    , from a development point of view its the car sharing that's the most important part, if you don't need to own a car, then you don't need a car parking Space,
    Of course if public transport is still lousey you'll need your car...

The single biggest reason for public transport being lousey is that it has insufficient roadspace allocated to it to ensure reliable and fast journey times. There are additional reasons, but road space is the main culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The single biggest reason for public transport being lousey is that it has insufficient roadspace allocated to it to ensure reliable and fast journey times. There are additional reasons, but road space is the main culprit.

More like a combination of vested interests, an inability to reform public transport and an almost Thatcherite mindset that public transport is only intended for students, the retired and failures at life.
    No one ever makes public transport an election issue, we're still happy to sit in cars that sometimes move at a crawl and at other times stand still and not see the irony.

Lack of road space doesn't help... But it's more than that, it's not run right.... Customer experience and ease of use doesn't come into it.
    Bus routes are ****e, and busses themselves pretty unreliable, if you can't rely on a bus you won't use it..
    Compare city buses to a luas,
    The luas pull right up to the stop, you don't wait for every one to make it to the front door and alight before board, you just board ticketing isn't the drivers issue,
    There's no reason that cork city buses couldn't be more like the luas, there is quite a bit of bus lane (also know as parking in quieter times, and I'll just nip down here lane at rush hour) in the city,
    Corks small, if it gets 1 tram line (in 20 years time) it'll be doing well, it's buses and bus routes (and stops), and enforcement that'll deliver results...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Leo is in town today. I wonder if the Event Centre or other developments such as the M20 will be discussed....

• Advertisement

Lack of road space doesn't help...
    Bus routes are ****e, and busses themselves pretty unreliable, if you can't rely on a bus you won't use it..

Those are the same thing, they are unreliable because they are sharing road space with cars too much. Mode separation is key. Multi door operation to reduce dwell times but real improvement in reliability are down to roadspace. This has been proven in Dublin time and time again. See the cat n cage works for example, airport bound buses are now 10 mins quicker at peak times as a result of simply giving road space to buses. Cork's proposed luas route will certainly be taking road space from cars in bucketfulls.

Cash is being phased out from next year in favor of leap, contactless payment and mobile/watch based payment, with a flat fare, dwell times at stops will be reduced as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Leo is in town today. I wonder if the Event Centre or other developments such as the M20 will be discussed....

Nope, spent the whole time talking about some rural development scheme that has nothing to do with Cork City. He was specifically asked about the events centre and he fobbed off the reporter. No word on the M20

Those are the same thing, they are unreliable because they are sharing road space with cars too much. Mode separation is key. Multi door operation to reduce dwell times but real improvement in reliability are down to roadspace. This has been proven in Dublin time and time again. See the cat n cage works for example, airport bound buses are now 10 mins quicker at peak times as a result of simply giving road space to buses. Cork's proposed luas route will certainly be taking road space from cars in bucketfulls.

Cash is being phased out from next year in favor of leap, contactless payment and mobile/watch based payment, with a flat fare, dwell times at stops will be reduced as much as possible.

I'm not arguing that more roadspace shouldn't be given to public transport, I just reckon we shouldn't wait for the road space before improving the service... And honestly enforcement is going to need to be a big part of any service improvement..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I'm not arguing that more roadspace shouldn't be given to public transport, I just reckon we shouldn't wait for the road space before improving the service... And honestly enforcement is going to need to be a big part of any service improvement..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Timelapse of the construction ongoing at Penrose Dock

https://vimeo.com/333313554

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I'm not arguing that more roadspace shouldn't be given to public transport, I just reckon we shouldn't wait for the road space before improving the service.
    And that is the key concern. I lived out in Bishopstown, near the start of the No8 bus route, and it wasn't unusual for the bus to pass on the way out to Curaheen, and then either not turn up on time or extremely late to start the route (even when little to no traffic around). No point in increasing the roadspace if the service doesn't utilize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

A controversial Cork city convent site, which has had five owners since 1996 and which was twice ravaged by fire, in 2003 and again 2012, is back for sale.The Good Shepherd Convent in Sundays Well carries a guide price of €6.75 million, having secured new planning permission for 202 residential units: it last sold only three years ago, for just over €1.5 million.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/cork-citys-good-shepherd-convent-back-up-for-sale-with-planning-for-202-units-921322.html

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

marno21 wrote: »
    Timelapse of the construction ongoing at Penrose Dock

https://vimeo.com/333313554

What are the large cylinders, just for holding up the walls at the edge of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭fash

What are the large cylinders, just for holding up the walls at the edge of the site?
    Until they get the permanent walls in place to do so, yes.

• Advertisement

Spotted another building being refurbed plus an extension at the back for extra apartments on the North Mall (a few doors from the Franciscan Well).

479231.jpg

Advertisement