Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

opus wrote: »
    Spotted another building being refurbed plus an extension at the back for extra apartments on the North Mall (a few doors from the Franciscan Well).

479231.jpg

Good to see. Housing need to be both big and small developments. Properties like this all over the city that need to be brought back into use and extended where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

snotboogie wrote: »

Going forward:

Updated best case schedule:
    Q3 2019: Victoria Hotel, Kelleher Tyre's Student, Morrison's Island Hostel, O’Riordans Joinery Student, The Prism, The M, Jacobs Island, Parnell Place Hotel

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg
    Echo wrote:
    Planning permission has been granted for a 57-room student apartment development overlooking The Lough despite opposition from locals in the area. The development will be located at the O’Riordan’s Joinery site on the Bandon Road and on a portion of the lands associated with the Church of the Immaculate Conception. The development will allow for 419 student bed spaces.Planning permission for the development was granted this week by An Bord Plean.The developers Lyonshall had previously received planning permission for a development of 324 student beds.
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Planning-granted-for-419-bed-student-apartments-overlooking-The-Lough-8b90012a-6abd-4d04-a1a2-a9e3dcc194cc-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

fash wrote: »
    Until they get the permanent walls in place to do so, yes.

Yeah, especially since Penrose House is remaining in place, and they've dug down well below ground level along two sides of its base, so it'd be very precarious if not supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Anyone hear anymore about The Prism. I thought the ABP decision was meant to be in March. It's all a bit frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Anyone hear anymore about The Prism. I thought the ABP decision was meant to be in March. It's all a bit frustrating.

The Victoria Hotel has been with ABP for nearly two years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Not in Cork City just yet but soon! The office development in Ballincollig is moving along well.

479417.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

I assume we will see work on trinity quarter soon as ucc now own it wonder why dairygold didn't go ahead with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

ofcork wrote: »
    I assume we will see work on trinity quarter soon as ucc now own it wonder why dairygold didn't go ahead with it?

They said opening date for that is August/September 2023 and they are doing a whole new design so I’d say things won’t happen for another year or two.

Two 40+ storey towers gone for planning in Dublin. This is two years after the Cork 40 storey was announced and they are already ahead of where we are now. The towers look fantastic in the render and will be great for Dublin but it emphasizes the difference in the pace of development between the two cities.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/battle-for-the-dublin-skyline-are-you-ready-for-johnny-ronans-world-class-hanging-gardens-38079925.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Two 40+ storey towers gone for planning in Dublin. This is two years after the Cork 40 storey was announced and they are already ahead of where we are now. The towers look fantastic in the render and will be great for Dublin but it emphasizes the difference in the pace of development between the two cities.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/battle-for-the-dublin-skyline-are-you-ready-for-johnny-ronans-world-class-hanging-gardens-38079925.html

and the rumours are that Cork's tower has been rounded down to below 30 floors isnt it? :(

• Advertisement

and the rumours are that Cork's tower has been rounded down to below 30 floors isnt it? :(

Looks like it ya. I mean it’ll still be a fantastic development but I can’t believe we’ve been waiting this long for planning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Not a hope Dublin give that the go ahead I'd say.

Tomtom364 wrote: »

The council has been told (quite forcefully iirc) to not block skyscrapers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

The opening paragraph says, "Ronan's ''grand design'' [...] dwarfs the surrounding cityscape." Another great example of editorialising vs reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

The council has been told (quite forcefully iirc) to not block skyscrapers

I'm sure they have. And rightly so.
    But double the current highest which barely got permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

That’s fantastic! It’s the type of stuff that should have been built all along the docklands in Dublin from the beginning. Let’s hope we don’t repeat the same mistake here. The riverfront lined with new buildings from say, 10 to 30 floors would be great.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I never really understood our aversion to tall buildings in Ireland. I think in Dublin the excuse that tall buildings would ruin the Georgian nature of Dublin was trotted out. I have been to many cities that pair old and modern architecture very well. The Dublin Docklands was an industrial wasteland and some taller buildings down there would have made more sense considering space is at a premium and it's away from the Georgian heart of Dublin. Hopefully we get some nice taller buildings in our docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I never really understood our aversion to tall buildings in Ireland. I think in Dublin the excuse that tall buildings would ruin the Georgian nature of Dublin was trotted out. I have been to many cities that pair old and modern architecture very well. The Dublin Docklands was an industrial wasteland and some taller buildings down there would have made more sense considering space is at a premium and it's away from the Georgian heart of Dublin. Hopefully we get some nice taller buildings in our docklands.
    It's the road/height ratio. Lots of skyscrapers with narrow local streets don't work from an access and light point of view. Most if Irish cities are quite narrow streets which wouldn't handle them. Places like American, Middle Eastern, Australian cities that manage it are newer places with wider streets.

I'l all for skyscrapers but it needs to be manageble too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's the road/height ratio. Lots of skyscrapers with narrow local streets don't work from an access and light point of view. Most if Irish cities are quite narrow streets which wouldn't handle them. Places like American, Middle Eastern, Australian cities that manage it are newer places with wider streets.

Loads of European cities were razed and rebuilt with wider streets and bigger buildings in the 18th/19th cent. Or bombed to bits in WW2 and rebuilt from scratch. There was never money in the pot or the will to do that here. Maybe if the Tans managed to burn a more of Cork we would have some half decent buildings and streets now. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

A lot of the adversion to it in Dublin anyway comes from ludicrous comparisons to the Ballymun flats, which had huge social issues which weren't any to do with their height.

• Advertisement

Plenty of skyscraper cities have narrow old streets; Hong Kong is a prime example.

Plenty of skyscraper cities have narrow old streets; Hong Kong is a prime example.

And, in many parts, it's a crowded hot mess no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Lots of Irish exceptionalism when it comes to urban planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I would hate Cork to resemble Hong Kong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I would hate Cork to resemble Hong Kong
    Reckon we're safe for the short - medium term anyway :D

And, in many parts, it's a crowded hot mess no?

Overall it does well. I’d say it does a lot better than some of the wide street examples like Dubai. In Dubai the districts and tall buildings are very separate and it is hard to walk between them which consequently gives it a very limited streetlife. While HK is crowded, it’s also bustling with small interesting restaurants, cafes, shops and bars. Singapore is maybe a happy medium between the two but even that can feel dull in comparison to HK Island. I don’t think there is anything unique about Dublin that prevents tall buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭ofcork

JD sports have got permission to expand into a wear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Tomtom364 wrote: »

This one goes straight to abp. It includes a thousand new homes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Student accommodation:

Gainstar Limited Partnership's Coca-Cola site (600 beds) on the Carrigrohane Road has had planning for over a year but nothing has happened? Site has been sold to Future Generations who will submit planning for an increase to 600 beds and are hoping for a Q2 2019 start pending planning.
    StraightRoadStudentAccommodationPlanNov18_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-883943
    Echo wrote:
    Plans for Cork's largest student apartment development has been granted planning permission.London company Future Generation has plans to build a flagship, 600-bed accommodation scheme on the former Coca-Cola bottling site on the Carrigrohane Straight Road.This week permission was granted by Cork City Council for the development.Planning permission was in place, since 2017, to build 484 student beds, in buildings ranging from four to seven storeys. Work began to demolish the existing buildings and clear the site, but it has remained empty since then.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Corks-largest-student-apartment-development-is-granted-planning-permission-ce8f13dd-2434-46f1-8e71-c6a01e888469-ds

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

ofcork wrote: »
    JD sports have got permission to expand into a wear

Possibly the worst shop I've ever been in...loud 2fm-esque music blaring whilst students in ill-fitting clothing browse the latest in daft converse design and colour. Great news that it's being expanded.

Advertisement