Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Shedite27 wrote: »
    It's the road/height ratio. Lots of skyscrapers with narrow local streets don't work from an access and light point of view. Most if Irish cities are quite narrow streets which wouldn't handle them. Places like American, Middle Eastern, Australian cities that manage it are newer places with wider streets.

I'l all for skyscrapers but it needs to be manageble too.

Good point but they could have gone somewhat higher in the Dublin Docklands than they did without overwhelming the surrounding space.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

These have added to the linkedin page so I can finally post them here ;)

Resized for Boards....

7k4GD2v.jpg

ORNTJpJ.jpg

QPvpvIU.jpg

64ji3JW.jpg

Video: https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6518681947496157184
    (If you're not logged in to linkedin the playback quality is poor for some reason?)

And a few of the other side

tJ4gmuq.jpg

Z9KTTwG.jpg

zG3mmZP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Was Navigation Square meant to open a few months ago? Does anyone know when phase 1 is set to take in clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

and the rumours are that Cork's tower has been rounded down to below 30 floors isnt it? :(

There's a fair bit of local resistance building on this unfortunately. Its those 'beautiful' stone warehouses you see. The ones that have been sitting there crumbling for decades. They always looked like an eyesore to me!

Does anyone have any further info on the planned tower on the Port of Cork site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

snotboogie wrote: »
    Was Navigation Square meant to open a few months ago? Does anyone know when phase 1 is set to take in clients?

March was the date for completion of construction, and I believe it was handed over for fit-out by then. No idea when Clearstream will actually be moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Great shots ScrubsfanChris, cheers!

They're a few weeks old mind, Penrose Dock has its second elevator shaft almost complete and the stairwell core starting to go up. And Phase 2 of Navigation Square has its second elevator shaft up and much of the frame in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

clearstream are planning on moving into NSQ1 next week from what I know (person working there). She said thats the plan anyway but will it work out like that, don't know

clearstream are planning on moving into NSQ1 next week from what I know (person working there). She said thats the plan anyway but will it work out like that, don't know

It'll be very interesting to see if they have any other clients lined up. So far it's just Clearstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Desks and Chairs in Navigation square now

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Great shots ScrubsfanChris, cheers!

They're a few weeks old mind, Penrose Dock has its second elevator shaft almost complete and the stairwell core starting to go up. And Phase 2 of Navigation Square has its second elevator shaft up and much of the frame in place.
    Yeah I know. Kind of have to wait for until they are publicly available to show and that's not up to me ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As per Limerick74 in Infrastructure, CMATS breakfast in the Cork International Hotel on May 24th

https://chamber.corkchamber.ie/events/details/may-business-breakfast-2019-featuring-anne-graham-ceo-national-transport-authority-20822

About time.

marno21 wrote: »
    As per Limerick74 in Infrastructure, CMATS breakfast in the Cork International Hotel on May 24th

https://chamber.corkchamber.ie/events/details/may-business-breakfast-2019-featuring-anne-graham-ceo-national-transport-authority-20822

About time.

Is that going to be an announcement? Not seeing that specified in the link

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is that going to be an announcement? Not seeing that specified in the link
    I'd imagine so, either then or in the meantime. It'd be a bit of a dampener if they spent an hour telling us all will be revealed in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

There's a fair bit of local resistance building on this unfortunately. Its those 'beautiful' stone warehouses you see. The ones that have been sitting there crumbling for decades. They always looked like an eyesore to me!

But don't most crumbling old buildings look like an eyesore until they are renovated?

Whatever the case, the warehouses are listed and could not be lawfully demolished irrespective of local opposition. They will be renovated and incorporated into any new development. Note that the test bores drilled in connection with the proposed tower were not in the warehouses. They were in between the warehouses and the Port of Cork sign at the very tip of the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭mrpdap

cantalach wrote: »
    Note that the test bores drilled in connection with the proposed tower were not in the warehouses. They were in between the warehouses and the Port of Cork sign at the very tip of the island.
    The tower will have to fit into that quite small space?
    Is that feasible structurally?

cantalach wrote: »
    But don't most crumbling old buildings look like an eyesore until they are renovated?

Whatever the case, the warehouses are listed and could not be lawfully demolished irrespective of local opposition. They will be renovated and incorporated into any new development. Note that the test bores drilled in connection with the proposed tower were not in the warehouses. They were in between the warehouses and the Port of Cork sign at the very tip of the island.

They're old stone warehouses now in all fairness but I didn't know they were listed.

I believe there is some sort of local opposition group armed with petition determined to block it. Regardless of the developers intending on being sympathetic to the warehouses. But your right it looks like the tower isn't actually going to be built directly over them requiring partial demolition or causing any impact on their structure.

Which begs the question what is the problem then?! If the developer is going to incorporate these stone buildings into the overall project wheres the beef? And i'm referring specifically to the Port of Cork protection group. It just strikes me as resistance to change more than anything else.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

They're old stone warehouses now in all fairness but I didn't know they were listed.

I believe there is some sort of local opposition group armed with petition determined to block it. Regardless of the developers intending on being sympathetic to the warehouses. But your right it looks like the tower isn't actually going to be built directly over them requiring partial demolition or causing any impact on their structure.

Which begs the question what is the problem then?! If the developer is going to incorporate these stone buildings into the overall project wheres the beef? And i'm referring specifically to the Port of Cork protection group. It just strikes me as resistance to change more than anything else.

:confused:

I have no idea of the actual reasons for the objections, but as seems to always the case these days, misinformation and lies no doubt.
    People are possibly being told that the existing buildings are being torn down as opposed to being sympathetically renovated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

mrpdap wrote: »

If the piling goes deep enough, you could go even higher. Think some of the waterside towers in NYC, Boston, Chicago, etc.

There's a super skinny skyscraper currently under construction in New York called 111 West 57th Street. It will have 82 floors and has a very small footprint. There are many examples all over the world of super tall buildings with very compact foundation areas.

http://111w57.com/

The biggest challenge for the Port of Cork tower is battling the local whingers opposition groups. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

479693.jpg

Source: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1990432&page=5

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

kub wrote: »
    I have no idea of the actual reasons for the objections, but as seems to always the case these days, misinformation and lies no doubt.
    People are possibly being told that the existing buildings are being torn down as opposed to being sympathetically renovated

Very little "sympathetic" restoration in evidence, here it's usually gutting a building and leaving just a facade as a sop to heritage.
    Listing doesn't help much, esp with the number of disused listed buildings mysteriously self combusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Some places it's just the facade that's listed, abs someplaces it's the full building (look at the pictures a page back!! The difference between what's being conserved on Penrose Quay, and hogan's Quay,
    The port of Cork buildings will have to be kept in entirety, (more or less), as far as I know they're all masonry arches, ( they were warehouses for storing bottles and barrels,)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

Very little "sympathetic" restoration in evidence, here it's usually gutting a building and leaving just a facade as a sop to heritage.
    Listing doesn't help much, esp with the number of disused listed buildings mysteriously self combusting.

Of course there is none in evidence, the buildings are still in situ and are in a state of disrepair.
    So I take it you are well aware of this developers plans or lack of for those old crumbling buildings ?
    What is it you proposal for these buildings?

Got to love the listing support crowd. Would rather see buildings fall to ruin than ANY development incorporating them.

The inside of warehouses, I've not been in these, are often nothing of value and need massive works to be usable spaces. Which is why it's usually just facades which are protected.
    Some wonderful works I have seen, on similar buildings, are the old Guinness stores on Bellevue/Rainsford Streets https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3421795,-6.2838845,113m/data=!3m1!1e3

They have some amazing office space inside, open and full of light, but even these needed massive internal works.

Edit: I have also been inside the warehouses inside the brewery walls and they have steel girders almost rusted through and old iron staircases falling down
    Difference between developing and letting stand

Apogee wrote: »

The life which that development would have driven into the city centre... such a pity it's being pared so far down and still in limbo.

kub wrote: »

Oliver Moran of the Green Party is leading the charge against the development

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

marno21 wrote: »

About time.

Exciting times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Oliver Moran of the Green Party is leading the charge against the development

I kind of find it ironic that the Green Party's opposing dense urban development. It's ideal for reducing car-dependency and making the city more livible.

Are they being 'green' or just confusing environmentalism for visual conservatism ?

This development would actually be fully visible from my house and I would quite like looking out at it. I don't really see what the issue is. Most of the hills of the city are that high anyway.

If you consider that the main chimney on the Marina Power station (a very ugly structure in my opinion and one that spewed coal, then oil and the natural gas fumes into the city for decades) is probably significantly higher than the proposed bulling, I don't really see what all the fuss is about.

• Advertisement

Got to love the listing support crowd. Would rather see buildings fall to ruin than ANY development incorporating them

This.

Its a string of old stone warehouses sitting there for decades, unused and rapidly decaying and no sympathetic or restorative work ever carried out, essentially forgotten wasteland. Yet the minute someone shows an interest in the site and plans to absolutely rejuvenate it and make it something really special the listed / historical building brigade assemble despite the developers making it fairly clear in their artists renditions (as shown above) it will be sympathetically incorporated into the overall project and likely restoration completed on them.

But hey I guess someones got to oppose it. Opposition for the sake of opposition.

Looks like the whole project has stalled anyway so thankfully the warehouses will remain in their delightful condition. Phew.

Advertisement