Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

This route will form the basis of any future light-rail route when population densities along the corridor increase to make a Luas-style service viable.

This f#cking w@nkfest lazy half arsed piece if sh1t government.
    Build the bloody infrastructure and development will follow.
    For absolute fu(k sake

I'm actually seething: after all the bloody delays, fudges, and leaks? This is what we get??

Car it is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This f#cking w@nkfest lazy half arsed piece if sh1t government.
    Build the bloody infrastructure and development will follow.
    For absolute fu(k sake

I'm actually seething: after all the bloody delays, fudges, and leaks? This is what we get??

Car it is

In effect a Luas in Cork is being shelved before it even gets fully considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Corkbiiy

Okay lads a lot of ye are speculating and ye don’t know anything, I’ll save ye the bother and tell ye what's in the reports, ones I've read are metro transport, North and south docks developments. No I don't work for the gombeens in the council or the NTA/TFI and I'm not involved in any proposals or anything like that.

Clarifying the misinformation :

1. No there's no BRT, most roads in cork you can't even get one car down it, let alone double Deckers or bendy busses you'd need for a BRT.

2. Yes Luas definitely 100% is on the cards, so are more main line train stations (at least one) frequency to Middleton to increase to 15 mins, Same to Mallow as well if I recall. Constraints for more stations are that time to embark/disembark will slow the service. Route for the Luas is ballincollig to Mahon via city.

3. At least 2 more bridges are on the cards (3rd possible), one will be dedicated to busses (I suppose a mini BRT) in the short term but then it will be Luas only. Second bridge will be mix incl cars.

4. Yes there will be more bus lanes, cork has 13km of bus lanes, proposed is about a 100k. There's 2 bus lanes proposed for summer hill north, so as you can see the plan, as Jeremy Clarkson would put it is ambitious but rubbish, as this won't get the buy in from the gombeens as they all own rental properties on summer hill north.

5. Roads in the report include the north ring road/motorway, ringaskiddy motorway etc. It's not in the report, but is being suggested on the down low is a viaduct to connect the NRR (motorway) and N40 via Lee fields.

So, any questions?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Corkbiiy wrote: »
    Okay lads a lot of ye are speculating and ye don’t know anything, I’ll save ye the bother and tell ye what's in the reports, ones I've read are metro transport, North and south docks developments. No I don't work for the gombeens in the council or the NTA/TFI and I'm not involved in any proposals or anything like that.

1. No there's no BRT, most roads in cork you can't even get one car down it, let alone double Deckers or bendy busses you'd need for a BRT.

2. Yes Luas definitely 100% is on the cards, so are more main line train stations (at least one) frequency to Middleton to increase to 15 mins, Same to Mallow as well if I recall. Constraints for more stations are that time to embark/disembark will slow the service. Route for the Luas is ballincollig to Mahon via city.

3. At least 2 more bridges are on the cards (3rd possible), one will be dedicated to busses (I suppose a mini BRT) in the short term but then it will be Luas only. Second bridge will be mix incl cars.

4. Yes there will be more bus lanes, cork has 13km of bus lanes, proposed is about a 100k. There's 2 bus lanes proposed for summer hill north, so as you can see the plan, as Jeremy Clarkson would put it is ambitious but rubbish, as this won't get the buy in from the gombeens as they all own rental properties on summer hill north.

5. Roads in the report include the north ring road/motorway, ringaskiddy motorway etc. It's not in the report, but is being suggested on the down low is a viaduct to connect the NRR (motorway) and N40 via Lee fields.

So, any questions?
    Thanks for your post.

Has the Ballincollig-Curraheen route for the North Ring been scrapped? Any plans for the N71?

marno21 wrote: »
    Thanks for your post.

Has the Ballincollig-Curraheen route for the North Ring been scrapped? Any plans for the N71?

That's the link between NRR/motorway and N40 (using the viaduct)?? It's not in the report I don't think, and that viaduct is only being talked about on the very down-low as it'd probably cost more than the Luas.

Most of the N71 is not in the scope of the metro area transport strategy (if I recall), so I don't know, but I can have a look into it and get back :)

• Advertisement

2. Yes Luas definitely 100% is on the cards,

Sorry but these are totally contradictory. No room for BRT but Luas is definitely in the cards?? How will a Luas fit but BRT won't?? According to the Examiner Luas is not in the cards at this time and is dependent on higher future density.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Examiner also claims over is €3bn. Without luas that'd be about the most expensive bus based system on earth. More expensive than Dublin's €2bn bus connects which is far more extensive

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Sorry but these are totally contradictory. No room for BRT but Luas is definitely in the cards?? How will a Luas fit but BRT won't?? According to the Examiner Luas is not in the cards at this time and is dependent on higher future density.

there is only a small section of BRT and its in the city center only connecting city to the train station as an interim measure until the LUAS comes in.

Examiner is wrong, who would have thunk it?

https:// i.imgur. com/c2Iqf3v.png

cgcsb wrote: »
    Examiner also claims over is €3bn.

Total strategy implementation cost is 3.5bn (but remember, this is Ireland)

there is only a small section of BRT and its in the city center only connecting city to the train station as an interim measure until the LUAS comes in.

Thought you said no BRT? But now there is BRT bit it's just a shuttle between Kent and the city centre. That sounds insane.

Are you saying there's a Luas from the very start or is it down the road/subject to higher density etc?

Mentioned Midleton will be 15min frequency - is that peak/off-peak and anything on Cobh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

So, any questions?

Can't see anything for plans for the northside into the city centre except for the mention of bus lanes on Summer Hill North which, as you said, those with investments in properties there won't want?? So basically, feck all! Yet the southside will get a luas? :D To be fair though, probably not possible to have a luas up those hills....perhaps cable cars San Fran style :D

Thought you said no BRT? But now there is BRT bit it's just a shuttle between Kent and the city centre. That sounds insane.

Are you saying there's a Luas from the very start or is it down the road/subject to higher density etc?

at the cost of contradicting myself I'll post a direct screenshot of the part of the executive summary which evaluates this, I've the full report as well, will have to dig it out.

I'm not the consultant, so I can't comment on the technicalities (I know fk all about transport planning)

anyway, the luas is in the 2040 plan, the mini-BRT (if you want to call it that, and yes shuttle between kent and city sounds about right) is a short term measure, Luas is already feasible, its just that the beancounters need to approve the money

https:// i.imgur. com/10acND3.png (take out the spaces, see above post for planned route)

leahyl wrote: »
    Can't see anything for plans for the northside into the city centre except for the mention of bus lanes on Summer Hill North which, as you said, those with investments in properties there won't want?? So basically, feck all! Yet the southside will get a luas? :D To be fair though, probably not possible to have a luas up those hills....perhaps cable cars San Fran style :D

Some sort of interchange at Blackpool could work for the Northside with feeder buses linking in with future train station at Blackpool and also a BRT type line into the city centre.

at the cost of contradicting myself I'll post a direct screenshot of the part of the executive summary which evaluates this, I've the full report as well, will have to dig it out.

I'm not the consultant, so I can't comment on the technicalities (I know fk all about transport planning)

anyway, the luas is in the 2040 plan, the mini-BRT (if you want to call it that, and yes shuttle between kent and city sounds about right) is a short term measure, Luas is already feasible, its just that the beancounters need to approve the money

https:// i.imgur. com/10acND3.png (take out the spaces, see above post for planned route)

That sounds more positive. However the chances of Central government funding a Luas in Cork? Negligible I'd say unfortunately.

ye norries are getting a new motorway, is that not enough :D? and yes that's the reason why LUAS can't get up there

as to the other poster RE Cobh and peak/off peak times, I read that in the dockland plans I can't remember exact figures AND THIS IS NOT IN THE CMATS so don't kill me (I'll read again later to see maybe if it is and I missed it)

and actually I was wrong earlier, RE one new train station, seems theres EIGHT (again, I didn't write the report, so I don't know everything thats in it)

https:/ /i.imgur .com/3Ep1vYx.png

Some sort of interchange at Blackpool could work for the Northside with feeder buses linking in with future train station at Blackpool and also a BRT type line into the city centre.

Yeah, I'm in Mayfield so I guess the only thing we can hope for is some sort of BRT....but can't see it working with the narrow roads along half the current bus route.

ye norries are getting a new motorway, is that not enough :D? and yes that's the reason why LUAS can't get up there

as to the other poster RE Cobh and peak/off peak times, I read that in the dockland plans I can't remember exact figures AND THIS IS NOT IN THE CMATS so don't kill me (I'll read again later to see maybe if it is and I missed it)

and actually I was wrong earlier, RE one new train station, seems theres EIGHT (again, I didn't write the report, so I don't know everything thats in it)

https:/ /i.imgur .com/3Ep1vYx.png

LOL, when? In 30 years or so? :D

Also, can't see to access that link - can you post it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

snotboogie wrote: »
    Was their not already a cairns homes application for Maryborough? Disappointing that they announced recently that they won’t build outside Dublin for 2-5 years

They will be delighted to know so, in that case, that some other lads are building away mad on their site in Maryborough and have been for the last number of weeks.

LOL, when? In 30 years or so? :D

Also, can't see to access that link - can you post it again?

just remove the spaces :) new acc so can't post links :)

and lads remember, this report is from a few different consultancies, it's up to the government to get the finger out, so we might get all of it, we might get none of it

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Charlie 22

I wonder did they consider continuing past mahon point over the N40 and serving Douglas. It would bring a massive suburb into the fold even if it only served the village with feeder busses from carrigaline etc.

• Advertisement

just remove the spaces :) new acc so can't post links :)

and lads remember, this report is from a few different consultancies, it's up to the government to get the finger out, so we might get all of it, we might get none of it

Cheers, had missed a space before :)

Yaay, I can take a walk down Silversprings hill and get the train at tivoli :D

Charlie 22 wrote: »
    I wonder did they consider continuing past mahon point over the N40 and serving Douglas. It would bring a massive suburb into the fold even if it only served the village with feeder busses from carrigaline etc.

this wasn't evaluated in the report, although I did hear of some talk about using the Luas on the green way as an alternative (but no sorry to let you down, no luas for douglas, although theres new routes using BusConnects)

Charlie 22 wrote: »

Douglas would be better served with a high quality bus corridor to the city than a tram via Mahon.

Douglas would be better served with a high quality bus corridor to the city than a tram via Mahon.

No it would not, considering the amount of people working in Mahon, between IT/Shopping/Abtran/Voxpro/CSO and (hopefully) along the marina.
    Not all public transport needs to go directly to the city, it's one of the problems with the bus service, as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

No it would not, considering the amount of people working in Mahon, between IT/Shopping/Abtran/Voxpro/CSO and (hopefully) along the marina.
    Not all public transport needs to go directly to the city, it's one of the problems with the bus service, as is.

Orbital bus services will also be included. Expect a lot of bus lanes, a lot.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Orbital bus services will also be included. Expect a lot of bus lanes, a lot.

100km of bus lanes vs 13 or 14km current

What about people living elsewhere who work in those places? Should they get a tram too? I'd love a tram straight to work. Do you have figures for the number of people living in Douglas who work in Mahon versus other areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

So, any questions?

Plus upgrade of N25 to M25
    Plus new grade separated interchange at Amgen site

Plus upgrade of N25 to M25
    Plus new grade separated interchange at Amgen site

let's let the report do the talking

https:// i.imgur .com/kH3itA4.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

let's let the report do the talking

https:// i.imgur .com/kH3itA4.png

That sounds totally contradictory to what I was told!

I know I'm looking forward to reading CMATS anyway.

Thanks, btw.

Advertisement