Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

A new transport blueprint for Cork includes a 25-stop light rail system and six new park and ride facilities across the city by 2040

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

A €1bn light rail network from Ballincollig to Mahon Point carrying 46m passengers per year is outlined in the document.

That's more passengers than the Red and Green Luas lines in Dublin combined (c.37m in 2018).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Mushy wrote: »

Have the Echo lifted everything from this thread for that article?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,369 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Have the Echo lifted everything from this thread for that article?

One would have to think a large amount of info within here had prior knowledge to the content. So they may have gotten it from here, or maybe same source sent it their way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

While new transport links are to be welcomed, during the prior boom years similar type of projects were bandied about before evapourating when the economic tanked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Manach wrote: »
    While new transport links are to be welcomed, during the prior boom years similar type of projects were bandied about before evapourating when the economic tanked.

They were talking about new transport and light rail on and off since the 1970s for godsakes.
    I'll believe when I see actual rails being put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

marno21 wrote: »
    Brief interview with Kevin O'Sullivan in today's Business Post.

* The Custom House Tower is now planned to be 34 storeys

* The Custom House Tower will be twice the height of the Elysian, so around 136m.

Wow - I didn't realise this had officially gone for planning. They'll never allow a 136-metre building, surely? This would be far and away the tallest building on the island - not saying Cork doesn't deserve the biggest and the best. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Wow - I didn't realise this had officially gone for planning. They'll never allow a 136-metre building, surely? This would be far and away the tallest building on the island - not saying Cork doesn't deserve the biggest and the best. :cool:

It hasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Looks like we're getting a "DART" style system in addition to LRT. Double tracking to Midleton, electrification of the Cork suburban network and a frequency of 10 mins on all lines, 5 mins from Glounthaune to city centre.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/CMATS_Exec_Summary_May_2019_FINAL.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Was down at PUC today and took a look over the hoarding into the showgrounds to see if anything happening with Marina Park. Nothing at all going on there. Just a patch of wasteland. Another city hall failure.

Is there some kind of funding issue ? Seems to be moving very slowly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I'm a bit disappointed that it's being cut to 34 storeys because on their website they were saying it was going to be 47 storeys and especially now that height restrictions have effectively been scrapped. This is going to be the flagship/landmark building for the city so it needs to be iconic in my opinion.

Frostybrew wrote: »
    Looks like we're getting a "DART" style system in addition to LRT. Double tracking to Midleton, electrification of the Cork suburban network and a frequency of 10 mins on all lines, 5 mins from Glounthaune to city centre.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/CMATS_Exec_Summary_May_2019_FINAL.pdf

Double tracking should've been done when it was built. Love the vision of the strategy, unfortunately don't think much of it will ever come to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Anteayer wrote: »
    Is there some kind of funding issue ? Seems to be moving very slowly

Development was supposed to be underway sometime in April but it looks like it's still stuck in tendering. Delay after delay with this place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

I'm a bit disappointed that it's being cut to 34 storeys because on their website they were saying it was going to be 47 storeys and especially now that height restrictions have effectively been scrapped. This is going to be the flagship/landmark building for the city so it needs to be iconic in my opinion.

Seems to be a slowdown in demand for office space, so I imagine this will be just a hotel/conference centre/apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

It all sounds great but like others have said it's such a long term plan I don't how much of this will actually come to fruition. If we could just get the bus connects out of this it would make a massive difference. Though I really would love to see all of it implemented

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a fantastic plan and exactly the ambitious kind of development Cork needs. It's a bit light on the roads side but that is more of a regional issue than a city one.

Now the battle to get it built begins. There needs to be roundhouse lobbying from all quarters to ensure it gets implemented. If the city sits back and says "ah sure Dublin is getting all the money we'll never see a Luas" then we won't. Business, council, voters etc all need to make it an issue and ensure it stays at the top of the agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭kooga

can anybody confirm when the new bridge is going to be lifted into place- I had heard this week

Tk U

• Registered Users Posts: 14,278 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Frostybrew wrote: »

That link is dead now :rolleyes: I should have saved it while it was live!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Cmats is ambitious, if not vague, no doubt there'll be more detailed documents to come. It lacks ambitions in some aspects. By 2040 the amount of journeys taken by car to still be around 50%. Cycling only up to 5%, and walking remains unchanged. By 2040 we'll have failed spectacularly to reduce emissions from transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Double tracking should've been done when it was built. Love the vision of the strategy, unfortunately don't think much of it will ever come to fruition.

Yes double tracking should've been done. It was looked at but they decided to go for single track with passing loops and allow for the possibility of upgrading. Most of the "new" stations announced have been in various plans over the last twenty years and should've been opened when Midleton was opened in 2009.
    marno21 wrote: »
    It's a fantastic plan and exactly the ambitious kind of development Cork needs. It's a bit light on the roads side but that is more of a regional issue than a city one.

Now the battle to get it built begins. There needs to be roundhouse lobbying from all quarters to ensure it gets implemented. If the city sits back and says "ah sure Dublin is getting all the money we'll never see a Luas" then we won't. Business, council, voters etc all need to make it an issue and ensure it stays at the top of the agenda.

Agreed, it looks like a very promising plan. In addition to the rail initiatives, the bus network is going to be completely repurposed; with many new routes, excellent frequencies, and what looks like a doubling of the bus fleet. The plan overall will give Cork a world class public transport system, if implemented.

Unfortunately we're also going to see many more "Pana car ban" style battles over the coming years, which will no doubt dilute the plans potential effectiveness.
    leahyl wrote: »
    That link is dead now :rolleyes: I should have saved it while it was live!

It must have gone live by accident, or leaked deliberately. It should be back up tomorrow along with a more detailed document.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

kooga wrote: »
    can anybody confirm when the new bridge is going to be lifted into place- I had heard this week

Tk U

It's being placed on the barge today. But depending on the clearance needed for going under the two bridges it may be this weekend (spring tide) before it's moved into place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

calnand wrote: »
    It's being placed on the barge today. But depending on the clearance needed for going under the two bridges it may be this weekend (spring tide) before it's moved into place.

Ah nuts. Was really hoping to be home (Patrick's Quay) for it, but I'll be out of the city this weekend. Might try and set up a camera in the window and do a time-lapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Tried to re-post it for you but
    "
    Your file of 11.85 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 5.00 MB for this filetype.
    "
    If you really want it PM me, or just wait until tomorrow to get it yourself.

I was disappointed with the 50% car, 4% cycle in 2040.
    We can say the document is perhaps overly ambitious in other aspects, but to me those numbers look very unambitious.

Mentions of putting cycling and walking first when designing road projects will sound hilarious to anyone who has actively liaised with the engineers.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Corkbiiy

igCorcaigh wrote: »

That's only the exec summary not the full report, but it is authentic

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Corkbiiy wrote: »
    That's only the exec summary not the full report, but it is authentic

Corkbiiy, on behalf of all of us here, thank you for your posts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

So... Will we be waiting until 2040 for the light rail system?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    So... Will we be waiting until 2040 for the light rail system?

Construction not starting til 2031 at the earliest apparently..... Draw up your own conclusions. Why can't they start it earlier? A lot can change in 12 years....

The timescale for the rail network are laughable. The strategy says between now and 2026 the only development will be through running at Kent which is a new platform to the south of the station. That's it for the next 7 YEARS!

Increased frequency to 3 trains per hour and any new train station not until 2027-2031. And the crucial elements of 10 minute frequency to Cobh and Midleton, dual tracking Midleton and electrification not until 2032-2040. Safe to say I don't think many of these things will actually happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

What's stopping them from starting these projects ASAP, i.e after the usual consultations etc, in the next few years?

It's such a long time away, it'll be forgotten about and half those involved in it will probably be retired!

Advertisement