Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

480431.JPG

This office block?
    Because that is a listed building and a prime example of its time :rolleyes::rolleyes:

It's always looked like an ugly grey office block to me. ;)

I don't give a toss that its listed. It's always looked like an ugly grey office block to me. ;)

The HSE wanted to renovate the building (and fronting) after the fire in 2011 and were told where to jump. That's why the signage is on the flags infront

The HSE wanted to renovate the building (and fronting) after the fire in 2011 and were told where to jump. That's why the signage is on the flags infront

Hook, line and sinker C_E :pac:

Matter of time till its knocked so.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

Is that new bridge really necessary, seems like a waste to me , ST Patrick bridge walkways are nearly 8 foot wide on both sides.

Keplar240B wrote: »
    Is that new bridge really necessary, seems like a waste to me , ST Patrick bridge walkways are nearly 8 foot wide on both sides.

Same was asked about the bridge by the Coal Quay and it is a very well used bridge

• Advertisement

It's always looked like an ugly grey office block to me. ;)

Being very sarcastic.
    It is a monstrosity but can not be touched. The prime example of it's time was a given reason.
    Prime soviet style muck.

Just shy of a million was spent repairing it, after the fire, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Frostybrew

Keplar240B wrote: »

It's going to be a key part of the city centre cycling network, effectively a continuation of the two way segregated cycle lane from Angelsea St; connecting the northside with the southside, and the city centre to the railway station.

Being very sarcastic.
    It is a monstrosity but can not be touched. The prime example of it's time was a given reason.
    Prime soviet style muck.

Just shy of a million was spent repairing it, after the fire, iirc.

And yet some are saying that proposed student building is an eyesore in the area?! Compared to what? Ok if was right next to the church fair enough. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but dear god that is literally a non argument.

Mental. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

normanbond wrote: »
    Rag Tag development ... eye sore ... cheapy student apartments ... absolute eyesore ... shocking and cheap looking ... cheap student flats

That's a lot of outrage boxes ticked. What's the actual problem? Can you be specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Local elections town hall meeting in Douglas this evening and out of the 4 Fianna Fail and Fine Gael candidates in the electoral area, none turned up. Bizarre!

Is there anyone at a political level lobbying on behalf of the city as regards resources?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

smurgen wrote: »
    Is there anyone at a political level lobbying on behalf of the city as regards resources?

I’d imagine that’s what a directly elected mayor would be able to do, you know the office we are about to resoundingly reject in a plebiscite because de echo said it’d cost a few hundred k.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

snotboogie wrote: »
    I’d imagine that’s what a directly elected mayor would be able to do, you know the office we are about to resoundingly reject in a plebiscite because de echo said it’d cost a few hundred k.

Why simplify it so? Plenty of people simply don’t like the idea of an individual having that much power to spend public money.

I can assure you I don’t read the echo, nor does paying people properly for a job bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

We have the Tánaiste, who's doing sweet FA, but a Cork Mayor (will limited powers and influence) could get us over the line? Not a very convincing argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,261 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Same was asked about the bridge by the Coal Quay and it is a very well used bridge

The Coal Quay one is useful, can't see much value in the new one other than the saving of a minute or so walking time, but whoever wanted it has got it now.

The Coal Quay one is useful, can't see much value in the new one other than the saving of a minute or so walking time, but whoever wanted it has got it now.

Again though, people said that North Gate and Christy Ring bridges were only a few hundred feet away

Cycle network for this one also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

We have the Tánaiste, who's doing sweet FA, but a Cork Mayor (will limited powers and influence) could get us over the line? Not a very convincing argument.

Surely as a member of The Dail and as Tanaiste his first responsibility is the whole country?

kub wrote: »
    Surely as a member of The Dail and as Tanaiste his first responsibility is the whole country?

Yes and his focus seems to be dublin only.cork developing would help the whole county.

Yes and his focus seems to be dublin only.cork developing would help the whole county.

But surely local issues are things that councillors should be dealing with not members of National Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

But surely local issues are things that councillors should be dealing with not members of National Government.

Or Indeed a locally elected Mayor. But that whole thing has descended into a row over money and I expect it to be massively rejected.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Or Indeed a locally elected Mayor. But that whole thing has descended into a row over money and I expect it to be massively rejected.

I can just imagine the excuse after this election when the elected Mayor vote is rejection.
    I can imagine the line, well if the people of Cork had voted for a Mayor then the Events Centre etc, would have happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,187 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The handy thing about it is that on the North side it's going to be right in front of that narrow street, Harley street, that goes right up to McCurtain Street so will make the centre of that street a little bit more accessible. Shame the other end is basically the side of Merchant's Quay which is a bit of a monolith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

He's a member of the Dail because he was elected in Cork South Central.
    Cork is a part of the whole country.
    He had his spade in the ground, and has repeated spoken on the Events Center (making it look like he's intervened). If he can't get it over the line, then a Cork mayor isn't gong to make any difference (no matter how much bawling people want to do about it).

MrDerp wrote: »
    Why simplify it so? Plenty of people simply don’t like the idea of an individual having that much power to spend public money.

I can assure you I don’t read the echo, nor does paying people properly for a job bother me.

The council have clearly struggled to represent Cork and get funds at a national level. 10% of the national tax take comes from Cork, what percentage of the capital spending do we get? It's an absolute no brainer that we powerful local representation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

The council have clearly struggled to represent Cork and get funds at a national level. 10% of the national tax take comes from Cork, what percentage of the capital spending do we get? It's an absolute no brainer that we powerful local representation.

I'm actually keen on the elected mayor, and understand he'd need paying and a staff... (I'd be a bit wary of pension entitlements all right)
    As to how the power game would work out between City manager, (and staff), the mayor, and the council it'd probably be a head wreck...
    But if the mayor was making City policy, and had influence over local property tax levels and rates, it could be a good thing...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Tainiste also happens to be the Minister of Foreign Affairs during a time when one of our closest allies and biggest trading partners, alongside being a country we share a land border with have gone into a sustained period of self implosion. I can appreciate him being elsewhere rather than doing the work of councillors in Cork.

It doesn't help either that the other Government TD for Cork City is a total waste of space.

The handy thing about it is that on the North side it's going to be right in front of that narrow street, Harley street, that goes right up to McCurtain Street so will make the centre of that street a little bit more accessible. Shame the other end is basically the side of Merchant's Quay which is a bit of a monolith.

Hardly a dire necessity. But if it makes someone happy, hey ho.

marno21 wrote: »
    The Tainiste also happens to be the Minister of Foreign Affairs during a time when one of our closest allies and biggest trading partners, alongside being a country we share a land border with have gone into a sustained period of self implosion. I can appreciate him being elsewhere rather than doing the work of councillors in Cork.

It doesn't help either that the other Government TD for Cork City is a total waste of space.

Cork needs a Healy-Rae type, or types.

In case anybody isn't following the dedicated EC thread:
    BAM are getting ready to reply to the outstanding planning issues with a design for the event centre that is drastically reduced in scale. Smaller audience, event space, etc. Further information to be submitted in the next two weeks I'm told.

marno21 wrote: »

Brexit is the scape goat for everything.The dispropotionate underinvestment in Cork predates Brexit.

• Advertisement

Brexit is the scape goat for everything.The dispropotionate underinvestment in Cork predates Brexit.

I am not making excuses when I say this, you have a point, but there was a recession before Brexit.

I wonder has there been any project like this in Dublin that had similar issues?

Advertisement