Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

smurgen wrote: »
    Brexit is the scape goat for everything.The dispropotionate underinvestment in Cork predates Brexit.

I agree with you. What I am saying is that Coveney has other things to be dealing with, namely Brexit. He can't be micromanaging stuff in Cork when he has a ministerial brief to deal with too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

He's a member of the Dail because he was elected in Cork South Central.
    Cork is a part of the whole country.
    He had his spade in the ground, and has repeated spoken on the Events Center (making it look like he's intervened). If he can't get it over the line, then a Cork mayor isn't gong to make any difference (no matter how much bawling people want to do about it).

I am well aware of how the system works and where Simon Coveney stood for election to The Dail.
    I know what country that Cork is a part of.
    I am also very aware of how much he has spoken about The Events Centre and that he was there on the day to smile at that token sod turning event.

My whole point is this, do we run to a TD's office if we have an issue with a bus route or a pot hole?
    No many of us do not as we are aware that the TD is part of the National Parliament not the local one.
    Coveney should have enough to be getting on with in his brief rather than to be waffling about this Non Events Centre.
    I think the City Council should be giving weekly updates on the carry on there at this stage.
    I also feel that as Coveney has put so much waffle into this that he may find it will cost him dearly in the next General election when the thing is never built.

kub wrote: »
    I am well aware of how the system works and where Simon Coveney stood for election to The Dail.
    I know what country that Cork is a part of.
    I am also very aware of how much he has spoken about The Events Centre and that he was there on the day to smile at that token sod turning event.

My whole point is this, do we run to a TD's office if we have an issue with a bus route or a pot hole?
    No many of us do not as we are aware that the TD is part of the National Parliament not the local one.
    Coveney should have enough to be getting on with in his brief rather than to be waffling about this Non Events Centre.
    I think the City Council should be giving weekly updates on the carry on there at this stage.
    I also feel that as Coveney has put so much waffle into this that he may find it will cost him dearly in the next General election when the thing is never built.

Generally agree with you BUT the events centre is of national significance, so a TD from the area being involved would not be out of the question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

We're talking about the Event Center, not a bus route or potholes.

Coveney has enough officials to ensure it could be done, he just needs to give an instruction (no micromanagement required). He's been Tánaiste for 2.5years, and a senior minister for more than 8 years, and near 20 years in the Dail. If he hasn't amassed enough clout to get the Event Center over the line (for relatively small figures in the overall scheme), then he shouldn't be re-elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

snotboogie wrote: »
    The council have clearly struggled to represent Cork and get funds at a national level. 10% of the national tax take comes from Cork, what percentage of the capital spending do we get? It's an absolute no brainer that we powerful local representation.

Cool, so how about a 5 year mayor that isn’t the CEO? Cos I’m down with having a directly elected mayor, I just don’t want his/her hand in the till

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

MrDerp wrote: »
    Cool, so how about a 5 year mayor that isn’t the CEO? Cos I’m down with having a directly elected mayor, I just don’t want his/her hand in the till

Well they're going to have to work with / compete with the city manager.... Who's not going away you know... I assume it'll be a bit of a minister / head of department type of relationship...
    They're going to need a budget.. Otherwise no point..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

marno21 wrote: »
    I agree with you. What I am saying is that Coveney has other things to be dealing with, namely Brexit. He can't be micromanaging stuff in Cork when he has a ministerial brief to deal with too

One second now.he, his party colleague of the day and taoiseach enda kenny was there for the turning of the sod on this project years ago.
    If he can physically turn up for a photoshoot for the project surely he can male calls and email folk remotely?
    It seems like if things are on the up and projects running smooth these lads are seen as great facilitators and instrumental in getting projects the green light but if things are falling apart it's a case of small fish that's beneath their office.
    This wasn't local politics stuff when he posed for thst photo 3 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

Keplar240B wrote: »
    off the top of my head , there is no pedestrian crossing/lights between the bus station
    and st patricks bridge , so as it stands you cross the bridge (north to south)and then must walk down to bus station or up to st particks bridge to cross to merchants quay south side :pac:

There's a crossing right on the corner of merchants quay next to the Bus station. And another half way down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭cantalach

If he can physically turn up for a photoshoot for the project surely he can male calls and email folk remotely?

Either you are making the mistake of assuming that lack of progress implies lack of effort, or you know for a fact that he is making no effort becaue you have hacked his phone and email. Well?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

cantalach wrote: »

Either you are making the mistake of assuming that lack of progress implies lack of effort, or you know for a fact that he is making no effort becaue you have hacked his phone and email. Well?

To be fair, if this was Dublin, there would have been a lot more effort made by Government on this. It's a total farce at this stage.

• Advertisement

To be fair, if this was Dublin, there would have been a lot more effort made by Government on this. It's a total farce at this stage.

Demonstrably untrue.

The national convention centre in Dublin suffered several false starts, was meant to cost £109m punts and ended up at over €400m delivered nearly 10 years late.

Let’s not makes this a Cork v Dublin thing, it’s a public projects thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

480608.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

MrDerp wrote: »

Demonstrably untrue.

The national convention centre in Dublin suffered several false starts, was meant to cost £109m punts and ended up at over €400m delivered nearly 10 years late.

Let’s not makes this a Cork v Dublin thing, it’s a public projects thing.

So what would you say is delaying this, and who or what could speed up the process? Because right now, it's stuck with no info being given to anyone in the public.

So what would you say is delaying this, and who or what could speed up the process? Because right now, it's stuck with no info being given to anyone in the public.

The delay is that it was underpriced, probably deliberately, to win the work and now additional funding is required which isn’t part of the capital plan and may amount to illegal state aid or require a retendering.

All public tendering can exclude underpriced bids which are deemed unrealistic, but they never do, because they don’t have good enough homework done on what’s required.

We need to get the Prism and the custom house approved. The city needs to move on with the times. Protect the older part of the city which i would class as oliver plunkett street, patricks street, grand parade etc.

Anything from the bus station onto the docklands should be high rise / the part of the city.

For the city centre to have life, we need residents, so apartment blocks coupled with commercial office space will bring thousands into the city. Would create a great buzz and make it a lively city.

Whilst i agree with protecting the city, objecting to every high rise is frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

cantalach wrote: »

The lack of an events centre indicates a lack of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Whilst i agree with protecting the city, objecting to every high rise is frustrating.

+1

If its in an area where clearly there is no significant historic buildings its whingery of the highest order in my opinion. What exactly in the port of cork / docklands area would be detracted from with a tall building? The beautiful R&H Hall concrete storage silo? Actually that might be listed :pac:

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

In Limbo Retail Wilton Shopping Centre: €100 million revamp proposed. Mistake made in planning permission. Planning resubmitted and a decision due on the 23rd of August. Planning granted and the site was put up for sale. We won't see anything for years on this now
    An Bord Pleanala has approved plans for a massive €100m redevelopment of one of Ireland’s first suburban shopping centres.The board granted permission for the Wilton Shopping Centre project in Cork for a period of 10 years and imposed 22 conditions on consent. Cork City Council granted planning for the project, which includes the partial demolition of the existing shopping centre, including the Penneys anchor store, in August 2018.The decision was appealed by Wilton Road Residents Association and others.But in its decision distributed this morning, the board said it is considered that the environmental impact assessment report on the project identified and described adequately the effects of the proposed development on the environment.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/planning-granted-for-100m-redevelopment-of-cork-shopping-centre-925712.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Well thats gonna be another permission that isn't used, same as last time. Aren't they selling up anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭kub

Well thats gonna be another permission that isn't used, same as last time. Aren't they selling up anyway?

Yes the last I heard Clarendon were selling Wilton Shopping Centre, you never know this go ahead might have increased the attraction of the place to investors.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

With all this planned development in the docklands area, I wonder if the planners are taking future sea level rise into account.

https://choices.climatecentral.org/#16/51.8968/-8.4656?compare=scenarios&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=unchecked&scenario-b=extreme-cuts

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

Yes the last I heard Clarendon were selling Wilton Shopping Centre, you never know this go ahead might have increased the attraction of the place to investors.

Wilton Road residents say infrastructure improvements are needed before any redevelopment of the shopping centre
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/A-new-Penneys-a-cinema-and-hotel-but-residents-fear-traffic-chaos-in-Wilton-2b064297-d05f-4a10-b58c-c14cdf5a7104-ds

Wilton Road residents oppose planned infrastructure improvements
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Hundreds-of-submissions-made-against-Wilton-Road-project-a8ac95de-61c2-41a4-97b1-64f8cea41906-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

sheff_ wrote: »
    I'd normally point out that some residents might be saying one thing and others are saying the other, but it's the same guy saying both. Hilarious.

Couldn't they just combine both articles into one: Local whingers object to everything.

Sorted.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We've seen local NIMBYs holding up development for years in this country. More of the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Corkbiiy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    We've seen local NIMBYs holding up development for years in this country. More of the same here.

local elections tomorrow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

Merchants Quay: Has had planning permission since July 2015.The last article I found on it was from 2017 and said: It is understood that work won't begin until early next year to minimise disruption to shoppers over the coming Christmas shopping period, though sources close to the development are confident that the work will be finished by late 2018. New planning lodged in Feb 2019

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg
    Echo wrote:
    Planners say yes to overhaul of Merchant’s Quay

PLANNING permission has been granted for the upgrade of the Merchant’s Quay shopping centre to change the exterior of the building and add an upstairs licenced restaurant. Property development company Clarendon lodged an application in February seeking to upgrade the exterior of the building on both the Patrick’s Street and Merchant’s Quay facades.

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Planners-say-yes-to-overhaul-of-Merchants-Quay-8304b917-18c1-4059-a5b2-e262346dbfcd-ds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Yes. Compensation, most likely very generous, would be part and parcel of these type of schemes. Mr Homeowner can also take into account the value of his house will increase with good public transport on his door step.

Advertisement