Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In the short/medium term the house value may drop. This will allow the owner to offset the compensation and pay not tax on it, possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Apogee wrote: »

Hopefully something will get done now. Worst major building in Cork City imo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭Markcheese

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    With all this planned development in the docklands area, I wonder if the planners are taking future sea level rise into account.

https://choices.climatecentral.org/#16/51.8968/-8.4656?compare=scenarios&carbon-end-yr=2100&scenario-a=unchecked&scenario-b=extreme-cuts

Apparently yes, a guy in the planning department told me 5 or 6 years ago that the city centre will be totally swimming before the docklands gets wet...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I like that. Looks smart

• Advertisement

The lovely new Tramore Valley Park....

D7amN8oXsAECCj4.jpg

D7amO_qWkAEdiI4.jpg

You can physically see where the money ran out.

Its a complete mess beyond the car park/entrance (pitches look nice to be fair) where almost nothing has been done.
    Looks like a halting site compared to albeit smaller Ballincollig park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Yeah I was there myself today. The entire South side beyond the recycling centre is clearly unfinished. It's a mess.

I had two different sets of kids come up to me and ask where the playground was. They looked so disappointed when I told them there wasn't one. What were they thinking making a huge park like that without a play area for kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

That looks brutal. Can't believe they've opened it to the public in that state.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Public consultation on the Docklands road network improvements

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/City-Hall-begins-consultation-on-new-Cork-Docklands-road-network-11423e1c-840a-46d1-8558-604cb337c826-ds

Funding for this is secure under LIHAF afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The lovely new Tramore Valley Park....

D7amN8oXsAECCj4.jpg

D7amO_qWkAEdiI4.jpg

You can physically see where the money ran out.

Its a complete mess beyond the car park/entrance (pitches look nice to be fair) where almost nothing has been done.
    Looks like a halting site compared to albeit smaller Ballincollig park.

I popped in yesterday, couldn’t believe how bad it was. Serious, serious work needed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

snotboogie wrote: »
    I popped in yesterday, couldn’t believe how bad it was. Serious, serious work needed

Could have done without the new bridge for funding this instead. Sure I'll be told something funds, something something ringfenced, something something cycling.

Could have done without the new bridge for funding this instead. Sure I'll be told something funds, something something ringfenced, something something cycling.

What does this mean??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

snotboogie wrote: »

Most likely nothing going to be done any time in the forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

marno21 wrote: »
    Public consultation on the Docklands road network improvements

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/City-Hall-begins-consultation-on-new-Cork-Docklands-road-network-11423e1c-840a-46d1-8558-604cb337c826-ds

Funding for this is secure under LIHAF afaik.

I must say I like the contra flow bus lane route, it should help bus 202 movements considerably if they’re gonna go this way instead of via Marina Terrace.

I can see some local objections though as the scheme digs further up Victoria rd and black rock rd with some Garden loss.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What does this mean??

All the reasons why we so desperately needed a superfluous bridge while a worthy facility is in the making for an eternity.

All the reasons why we so desperately needed a superfluous bridge while a worthy facility is in the making for an eternity.

If you read the city council budget you'll find that the budget allocation for the park is substantially higher than what was provided for the bridge. So your assertion that somehow the park suffered due to funding being directed to the bridge is false I'm afraid. Also not sure why you mentioned cycling earlier. The vast majority of transport capital spending by the city council is on roads, many multiples more than is spent on cycling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Wife brought the kids with their scooters to the park. Left about 30mins and went to Ballincollig instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Yeah I was there myself today. The entire South side beyond the recycling centre is clearly unfinished. It's a mess.

I had two different sets of kids come up to me and ask where the playground was. They looked so disappointed when I told them there wasn't one. What were they thinking making a huge park like that without a play area for kids.

I cycled out there for a look today & took a jog around the 5k loop. There is a small playground (well just a climbing frame pretty much) a little beyond the recycling centre.

Not having the entrance on Half Moon Lane open adds ~3k each way if you're trying to get there on foot/cycling from the city centre. Real shame if the place just revolves around using a car.

I cycled via Turners Cross and as I went across the Link Road saw a few people walking out the gate towards the road, didn't see which way they went then.

Any ideas why the English version of the sign is all in UPPERCASE?

481231.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

opus wrote: »
    Any ideas why the English version of the sign is all in UPPERCASE?

Standard guidelines for every state sign. Italic lowercase Irish on top with Uppercase English below. Look at the all the road signs etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi7

Standard guidelines for every state sign. Italic lowercase Irish on top with Uppercase English below. Look at the all the road signs etc etc.

How dumb to communicate with a minority 1st and the majority 2nd....

On every sign in t the state!!

Typical gaelge bull!!

• Advertisement

daithi7 wrote: »
    How dumb to communicate with a minority 1st and the majority 2nd....

On every sign in t the state!!

Typical gaelge bull!!

Heaven forbid we try the smallest effort to undo a cultural genocide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭blindsider

...and they couldn't even get that right - the Irish part is not in italics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭olearydc

Yes. Compensation, most likely very generous, would be part and parcel of these type of schemes. Mr Homeowner can also take into account the value of his house will increase with good public transport on his door step.

Thats true. But Mr Homeowner will be losing 20 feet in some instances with average of 10 feeet for most. Can mean total loss of car parking spaces or big reductuon of their front space. its not like a estate where people can park on the road, there will be no parking for their visitors and family members. It is easy to say that they will "maybe" get good public transport but is also true to say that their amenities are being taken away through no fault of their own.

The value will go down with every lost parking space

They have a right to state their annoyance of a plan that is going to cause them problems down the lane

Heaven forbid we try the smallest effort to undo a cultural genocide

And they still Google translate and get the Irish part wrong in many cases.
    PC Box ticking exercise imo to satisfy a cohort in favour of everyone but themselves using Irish.
    Either do it right or don't do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Yeah, if the Tramore park is only (practically) accessible from the city via car it's a bit of a waste (pun intentional!)

Does any bus serve it? The park 'n' ride is pretty close, if it doesn't include a stop for the park, it could?

who_me wrote: »
    Yeah, if the Tramore park is only (practically) accessible from the city via car it's a bit of a waste (pun intentional!)

Does any bus serve it? The park 'n' ride is pretty close, if it doesn't include a stop for the park, it could?
    No pedestrian access from there.

In fact the original plans going way back (long time ago :pac: ) had pedestrian bridges from Vernon Mount over the N40 and another bridge from Black Ash over the South link.

valleygallery4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

who_me wrote: »

That was the big question during the brief time the parkrun event was on there, the largest public car park in Cork is < 5 mins walk away but there's no safe way to cross the road!

There's a culvert that leads there already but they said it couldn't be converted into a path due the flood risk! Which is funny cause there's a much longer culvert shown below that I occasionally take a jog through which doesn't have the same flood risk despite it being the very same stream :)

481284.png

No pedestrian access from there.

In fact the original plans going way back (long time ago :pac: ) had pedestrian bridges from Vernon Mount over the N40 and another bridge from Black Ash over the South link.

valleygallery4.jpg

Yeah two pedestrian access bridges were promised....taking us for eejits at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

An Taisce opposed the development on a number of grounds, including the height of the building.

the planning appeals body said ....It "would not have a significant and detrimental impact on any important views and vistas within the city."

An Taisce really are a disgrace; they are their own worst enemy.

Advertisement