Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

15 story? Was it not supposed to be a lot higher?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

15 storeys does not a skyscraper make, but it is welcome none the less.
    As for An Taisce, I think it's time to completely defund this organisation which is not following it's origional remit.

An Taisce is supposed to preserve our built heritage not block developments on empty sites. The should be providing a service similar to the National Trust in the UK. The organisation should be scrapped and a new one set up, that will be required to actually stick to it's remit for funding. Could you imagine how lively and beautiful our town centres would be if An Taisce was actually spending money on preservation and/or rennovation of buildings that otherwise would not be commercially viable.

15 story? Was it not supposed to be a lot higher?

Don't think so. I had 17 in my head.
    The tall application is meant to be at the end of the island opposite Jury's Inn.

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    15 storeys does not a skyscraper make, but it is welcome none the less.
    As for An Taisce, I think it's time to completely defund this organisation which is not following it's origional remit.

An Taisce is supposed to preserve our built heritage not block developments on empty sites. The should be providing a service similar to the National Trust in the UK. The organisation should be scrapped and a new one set up, that will be required to actually stick to it's remit for funding. Could you imagine how lively and beautiful our town centres would be if An Taisce was actually spending money on preservation and/or rennovation of buildings that otherwise would not be commercially viable.

They want to allow historically important buildings crumble to dust, rather than be incorporated into development.
    Either that or have someone come along and restore it perfectly (at their own cost) and not use it for any modern purpose.

Tools

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Great news. Can't wait to see the end product.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Wonder how long before we see construction start?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Not trying to pun your name but that is the real question. We'll find out soon enough if Tower Holdings are the real deal or not

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

Great news. Delighted An Taisce were over-ruled on this. Hopefully the Andersons quay plan will proceed now too.

some positive news at least, after yesterday's disappointment with the Lord Mayor plebiscite

• Advertisement

Meursault wrote: »
    Great news. Delighted An Taisce were over-ruled on this. Hopefully the Andersons quay plan will proceed now too.

some positive news at least, after yesterday's disappointment with the Lord Mayor plebiscite

OCP have essentially confirmed that Anderson Quay won't go ahead as planned. they are looking to build apartments on site if regulations become more favorable. Unfortunately I doubt this decision will change their mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Marina Park construction delayed

Marina Park construction on the never never at this stage. Quite a few false starts. Oh and this bit is very discouraging:

The park will not initially contain a playground due to the estimated €500,000 cost, or an upgrade of the Atlantic Pond, or the pedestrianisation of the Marina.

Wonder how long it will be before this land is "gifted" to the GAA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

They'll need the space for all the bike parking facilities they're putting in as part of their planning conditions.

Any day now.....any day now....any day now....

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I am not too optimistic that this will happen. Despite the hysteria on here about AT and their impact on development in the city, it is not even remotely the biggest problem. The city has a long list of permitted projects that are going nowhere fast. And they are stacking up. How many hotels have planning in the city centre? Four or five. What's happening with the square deal site, anderson's quay, Victoria road apartments, the apartment scheme in mahon/Sunday's well/nemo site ;how about the glenveagh/south docks.... All very quiet.

There is plenty of planning activity and lots of development spectacution/site flipping. Aside from horgan's quay/Penrose dock, things are pretty quiet. AT are the least of our worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

mire wrote: »
    I am not too optimistic that this will happen. Despite the hysteria on here about AT and their impact on development in the city, it is not even remotely the biggest problem. The city has a long list of permitted projects that are going nowhere fast. And they are stacking up. How many hotels have planning in the city centre? Four or five. What's happening with the square deal site, anderson's quay, Victoria road apartments, the apartment scheme in mahon/Sunday's well/nemo site ;how about the glenveagh/south docks.... All very quiet.

There is plenty of planning activity and lots of development spectacution/site flipping. Aside from horgan's quay/Penrose dock, things are pretty quiet. AT are the least of our worries.

The Mahon tower too.

I think we will see some progress, the number of students the Brewery Quarter development is adding to the city centre could be a big boost to local businesses and add a bit of buzz to town. And on the office developments in the docks, it'll be easier to promote the city as a business location if you have an existing business district and not just an empty docklands and a 'vision'. If Penrose Dock, Horgan's Quay and Navigation Square all end up being full (or close enough) I think you'll see a lot of follow-on developments.

But yeah, as it stands, there's an awful lot of wait and see...

Call me cynical, but I still have a hunch the reason they wanted the centre of excellence at PuC, was because they originally wanted a hotel built with the stadium.

And if that land went to the park, they were never going to get it back; but converting their own centre of excellence to a hotel some years down the line, that's certainly possible.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

They met with Construction companies only recently so hopefully that meant something. I have a feeling once it starts it will fly up. There’s not much in it and looking back the lift shaft for the Elysian went up in less than three weeks.

who_me wrote: »
    The Mahon tower too.

I think we will see some progress, the number of students the Brewery Quarter development is adding to the city centre could be a big boost to local businesses and add a bit of buzz to town. And on the office developments in the docks, it'll be easier to promote the city as a business location if you have an existing business district and not just an empty docklands and a 'vision'. If Penrose Dock, Horgan's Quay and Navigation Square all end up being full (or close enough) I think you'll see a lot of follow-on developments.

But yeah, as it stands, there's an awful lot of wait and see...

We'll have to see apartment building before demand for offices comes back. I, personally, think that we are at a tipping point of business not being able to attract workers to the city. City apartments are too expensive and Tech companies are struggling to fill certain roles, and they are driving a lot of employment into the city at present.

We'll have to see apartment building before demand for offices comes back. I, personally, think that we are at a tipping point of business not being able to attract workers to the city. City apartments are too expensive and Tech companies are struggling to fill certain roles, and they are driving a lot of employment into the city at present.

Probably. You'd wonder if there's a case for one of the (Navigation Square / Penrose Wharf) buildings being converted to residential.

Obviously it's a different model, but you can squeeze a lot more office workers into a space than apartment residents, so it's probably an easier decision to make. But it does mean the situation is just going to get more and more unbalanced with an ever-increasing shortfall in accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Does anyone know anything about the site directly across the road from the Leisureplex, on the corner with Brian Boru bridge. Any plans for it?

In the city centre alone; Morrissons Island Hotel, The M, the Metropole extension, Sullivan's Quay and the York St hotel are all in Limbo with the Parnell Place hotel and a new South Mall hotel waiting for planning. In fairness a lot of these are waiting on the event centre.

The Crows Nest is another massive development which has inexplicably stalled. Lots of promises that was due to start in March and then in May, still nothing as far as I know.

In terms of The Prism; D'echo have updated to say:

Construction of the development is set to begin in the coming months and the Prism Building will create more than 100 jobs on site during development and a multiple of this figure over the next 18 months once occupied.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Planning-permission-granted-for-the-15-storey-Prism-skyscraper-set-to-transform-Corks-skyline-7f91cf86-0daf-4aaa-83ef-061a4f8f7ac5-ds

We'll see very soon if this crowd mean business which wil also give us a great idea how the 40 storey will go.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

In fairness to the O'Sullivan brothers, they've not had much luck since they started with these developments in the past few years.

The Prism has been appealed with the lengthy An Bord Pleanala wait

The 40 storey remains at its current state awaiting the Docklands LAP

They also tried to renovate a hotel in their native Ballinskelligs which was given the kybosh by An Bord Pleanala (https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/anger-in-ballinskelligs-as-planning-permission-for-cable-olearys-is-overturned-908637.html)

Hopefully they will power on now that this has full PP.

marno21 wrote: »
    In fairness to the O'Sullivan brothers, they've not had much luck since they started with these developments in the past few years.

The Prism has been appealed with the lengthy An Bord Pleanala wait

The 40 storey remains at its current state awaiting the Docklands LAP

They also tried to renovate a hotel in their native Ballinskelligs which was given the kybosh by An Bord Pleanala (https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/anger-in-ballinskelligs-as-planning-permission-for-cable-olearys-is-overturned-908637.html)

Hopefully they will power on now that this has full PP.

No page displaying
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/business/plans-to-redevelop-landmark-kerry-hotel-deemed-excessive-907776.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭Danger781

The amount of people complaining on Facebook about that Prism 'skyscraper' is mind boggling. What are people on about when they say it's going to rain the skyline? What is there to see exactly? I don't understand.

Should be more than 15! Double it up and go for 30 I say!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Danger781 wrote: »
    The amount of people complaining on Facebook about that Prism 'skyscraper' is mind boggling. What are people on about when they say it's going to rain the skyline? What is there to see exactly? I don't understand.

Just read them, some people really need to learn the difference between a private developers money and public money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Danger781 wrote: »

Facebook: the home of small minds. The comments seem to range from "but what about the hospitals and houses" to "it'll ruin the views of the city". Bunch of clowns would love nothing better than Cork to be a small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Meursault

As with Twitter, those that shout loudest on Facebook tend also to be most ill-informed.

15 storeys isnt even close to a skyscraper.

Some cannot get see past 2 - 3 storey buildings, and semi detached houses for all. these characters would happily see cork stagnate rather than risk a slight change to the skyline

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

An Taisce opposed the development on a number of grounds, including the height of the building.

the planning appeals body said ....It "would not have a significant and detrimental impact on any important views and vistas within the city."

An Taisce really are a disgrace; they are their own worst enemy.

They're an absolute scourge. Objecting to a very rundown area behind the bus station getting a 15 floor glass tower?! They'd prefer to see it stagnate. Delighted they basically got told to shut up by An Bord Pleanála. What planet are they on? "would have a significant and detrimental impact on any important views and vistas within the city." What views? Where?

This is literally an example of an Taisce objecting to appear they are doing something / have a purpose. All they appear to do is slow down planning approvals. Is it any wonder that whole area including the marina and port of cork has stayed the way it is for so long.

Hopefully this will help in some way with the 34 floor Port of Cork tower proposal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Just back from the Tramore valley Park, Holy f*ck it's rich calling that place a park.

How on earth did it cost 40m?

Gravel paths, no trees, no flowers, no lights, minimal signs of where to go, no playground, no fountain, no bins, no cut grass

I could keep going on, it's abysmal.

Advertisement