Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

snotboogie wrote: »
    OCP have essentially confirmed that Anderson Quay won't go ahead as planned. they are looking to build apartments on site if regulations become more favorable. Unfortunately I doubt this decision will change their mind.

If I were them I’d be waiting for planning to go ahead for the custom house development, then put in for high rise based on adjacent heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Just back from the Tramore valley Park, Holy f*ck it's rich calling that place a park.

How on earth did it cost 40m?

Gravel paths, no trees, no flowers, no lights, minimal signs of where to go, no playground, no fountain, no bins, no cut grass

I could keep going on, it's abysmal.

I was was thinking the same when I saw the new park in Hawlboline, what have they got against trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭vinnie_cork

Just back from the Tramore valley Park, Holy f*ck it's rich calling that place a park.

How on earth did it cost 40m.

€39,900,000 was spent on the former dump works piping gasses and layers of barriers and topsoil covering.... the park is just a byproduct... Haulbowlan €10m development again most of that on cleaning the site.

Both sites can never be built on... only option was public park. I haven’t visited either but no naive enough to think the €40m & €10m was spent on nice things for amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Seamai wrote: »
    I was was thinking the same when I saw the new park in Hawlboline, what have they got against trees?

The park in Haulbowline has an infinitely better finish than Tramore. They're incomparable really.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    The park in Haulbowline has an infinitely better finish than Tramore. They're incomparable really.

One is city one is county... county about to hand over their regional park on Friday. Hopefully they will take inspiration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

€39,900,000 was spent on the former dump works piping gasses and layers of barriers and topsoil covering.... the park is just a byproduct... Haulbowlan €10m development again most of that on cleaning the site.

Both sites can never be built on... only option was public park. I haven’t visited either but no naive enough to think the €40m & €10m was spent on nice things for amenities.

Still 40m on piping and topsoil seems a little mad

Still 40m on piping and topsoil seems a little mad
    It was a toxic site. To stop contamination of groundwater and the air it’s been capped and sealed... it’s a monster of a site to have cleaned up.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

what have they got against trees?
    It's very difficult to grow trees on former landfills. The surface soil layer is shallow. Underneath this there is a "cap" to seal in the waste. There is a risk that deep tree roots will puncture the cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

Gravel paths, no trees, no flowers, no lights, minimal signs of where to go, no playground, no fountain, no bins, no cut grass

Nothing wrong with areas of gravel. The rest would be nice though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Good news from de paper this morning
    They also said that extensive pre-planning works for their even larger €250m 34-storey tower project on the nearby Custom House site are at a very advanced stage.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/property/planning-upheld-for-15-storey-glass-fronted-office-tower-in-cork-927244.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Apogee

The Victoria Hotel has been with ABP for nearly two years...
    Echo wrote:
    In 2017, new owners RESAM Properties Ltd lodged plans to build a high-order retail unit on the site of the historic location. However, planners in City Hall gave the go-ahead for the redevelopment. This decision was appealed to An Bord Plean by Mr Grace and body An Taisce. However, in recent days, the organisation has upheld the council's decision allowing the development. A planning inspector said the proposed development would not seriously injure the character of the area and would not have unacceptable impacts in terms of architectural heritage.
    https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Corks-historic-Victoria-Hotel-is-to-be-redeveloped-c71b8ba7-2bc8-4ac9-bc3a-00e62113341b-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

ABP are on a roll! More good news.

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

If this is original work I could see some (a lot) of cause to keep it in any new plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Did Mr. Grace really object on those grounds? A city center location?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Gorgeous building, obviously An Taisce want to let it rot into nothingness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

mainMediaSize=MEDIUM_type=image_x0=0_y0=0_x1=100_y1=100__image.jpg

If this is original work I could see some (a lot) of cause to keep it in any new plans.

The planning details that the ceiling is retained as well as the outside facade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

CHealy wrote: »
    Did Mr. Grace really object on those grounds? A city center location?

Originally I thought he objected because retail would not attract night traffic to his chipper, he wanted it to be kept as a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I took a walk past the development in Millerd St last night, pic below.

481508.jpg

Also this is the 3d model of the proposed flats down the street a little.

481509.jpg

And finally the student apartment development on the Mardyke has the site cleared now, the house came down very quick it looks like.

There is work being done on the mound of rubble on Sullivan's Quay. While it is an eyesore and possible health risk it may be bad news for the Events Centre as it was planned for use on site there.

Don't worry, none of the rubble has been removed, they've just levelled the pile off so that the fencing hides the ugliness. A friend of mine lives on Cove St so has a good view from their bedroom windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

opus wrote: »
    Don't worry, none of the rubble has been removed, they've just levelled the pile off so that the fencing hides the ugliness. A friend of mine lives on Cove St so has a good view from their bedroom windows.

Hah, God it must be an awful tease having so much more light and a view of the river/city centre now, knowing you're going to lose it again in a few months' time. Well, a few years' time.

• Advertisement

I took a walk past the development in Millerd St last night, pic below.

481508.jpg

Also this is the 3d model of the proposed flats down the street a little.

481509.jpg

And finally the student apartment development on the Mardyke has the site cleared now, the house came down very quick it looks like.

What student development is that?

What student development is that?

This one, the house is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I was all ready to say "another bloody soulless coffee store" but that is a busy pedestrian commute walkway, not the worst thing in the world to put there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I was all ready to say "another bloody soulless coffee store" but that is a busy pedestrian commute walkway, not the worst thing in the world to put there

Like many other places that whole block is crying out for development.

This one, the house is gone now.

how many apartments are going in there?

Going by the last line:
    A planning decision is also awaited on a microbrewery in the nearby Thompson House on MacCurtain Street

it looks like the decision for the Cotton Ball is coming soon. Would be great for MacCurtain St. I wonder when the works will start on the new Micro Distillery at the Bodega? That got planning in March

how many apartments are going in there?

Don't remember it was last year sometime I happened to read the planning notice that was on there. Given the location I'd imagine no more than three stories max anyway.

• Advertisement

Picture that image next to the Prism and all of a sudden that area is looking very nice.

Advertisement