Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork developments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Picture that image next to the Prism and all of a sudden that area is looking very nice.

Assuming that the prism isn't just a test case for the other site or indeed that they aren't upto something else entirely, flipping sites perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Picture that image next to the Prism and all of a sudden that area is looking very nice.

It will make the prism look even better in my opinion as the street scape around it will be scaled up so it will fit in nicely.

Lots of positive development from ABP this week with three go aheads for major works in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

It will make the prism look even better in my opinion as the street scape around it will be scaled up so it will fit in nicely.

Lots of positive development from ABP this week with three go aheads for major works in the city.

Thought let's not forget this is a 'go ahead' and not yet a 'going ahead'/'gone ahead' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,521 ✭✭✭cgcsb

cgcsb wrote: »

That's a positive that this might be going ahead rather than sitting around to flip a site .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

That's a positive that this might be going ahead rather than sitting around to flip a site .

No estate agents listed. If they were about to start work I’d have thought there would be pre letting activity getting going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

opus wrote: »
    Don't remember it was last year sometime I happened to read the planning notice that was on there. Given the location I'd imagine no more than three stories max anyway.

5 storeys of student apartments. Refused by city council, refused by An Bord Pleanala inspector but then approved by the board. It's too big for the site. Ruins the entrance to the park. The sort of development we'll be regretting for decades. But, you know, profits to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭snotboogie

MrDerp wrote: »
    No estate agents listed. If they were about to start work I’d have thought there would be pre letting activity getting going.

Maybe not one day after planning? The website does seem a bit amateurish in comparison to the Penrose Dock one though. Tower Holdings are a strange one, it’d be amazing if they turned out to be the real deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good location, even if the city is not exactly short of coffee places.

snotboogie wrote: »
    MrDerp wrote: »

Maybe not one day after planning? The website does seem a bit amateurish in comparison to the Penrose Dock one though. Tower Holdings are a strange one, it’d be amazing if they turned out to be the real deal.

They have built real skyscrappers in the US the question is how serious are they about building in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

I actually do think they mean business, for what it’s worth, it’s just that other developers are cautious about waiting for tenants before they start excavating. That said, this building allows for smaller footprints and maybe the demand is there for space of this nature.

It’s in the right part of town, I worry for some other sites though.

Aside from the Prism...

On the grapevine I’ve heard that amazon are looking for more space, and I know from elsewhere that there’s space at the airport so there’s a chance they’re looking towards town for some stuff.

I’ve also heard that Facebook are happy with how the Capitol and Cork worked out and are now seriously looking at a chunkier footprint, possibly penrose.

Amazon are the obvious choice for a move to Penrose Dock, I think JCD have said that they are actively talking to a multinational firm in the Airport, however it’s the TRMS department in Cork and they are notoriously cost sensitive department, I’m not sure a move to the most expensive office space in the city makes sense. I suppose Voxpro did it in Mahon so it could happen.

Their websites aren't up to much, but they've been involved in some fairly ambitious projects.

There has been some activity logged on CIS for the Marina Commercial Park. Here is an article from when it got permission: https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/750m-cork-marina-project-promises-to-create-1200-jobs-127563.html#ixzz0wIM4OlyI

This is a mammoth development which got permission in 2012. It has 880 apartments, 60k sq metres of office (double the size of all phases of Nav Sq combined), huge retail space and a science park. This got a lot less public interest than the Howard Holdings scheme but it looks like the biggest development ever proposed for Cork. It's worth noting that all that was done on CIS was updating the project roles and description of the development but still, it's interesting to see activity on this project. While waiting for planning permission in 2012 the developers said:

Firstly, we don’t know how long the planning application will take to process. There is no reason why it wouldn’t get planning permission as we’re compliant with everything but we don’t know how long it will take. Secondly, there is a serious infrastructure deficit at the moment. Centre Park road will have to be raised at least three metres as well as improving transport links between the site and the city centre. Finally, even if the other two were there in the morning, we couldn’t do anything because the market isn’t there. It would be commercial suicide to move on this without the market but we need to have everything ready and in place for when the market turns.

Here is the only picture that I could find of the development:

inside-11.jpg

Oh and I also found this interesting thread on Boards discussing the topic from post 14: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?t=2055988114 Interesting to see how optimism has changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭sheff_

While waiting for planning permission in 2012 the developers said:

...Centre Park road will have to be raised at least three metres

Is this a definite plan and will it not mean the road is 2.5/3 metres above the ground level of any buildings? Retaining the Fordsons building would suggest the site levels would be unchanged.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

For anyone interested public information events for CMATS kick off this week.

Public Information Events
    Public Information Events will be held
    between 3pm - 8pm at the following
    locations on the following dates:
    • Wednesday 5th June
    Imperial Hotel, Cork City
    • Thursday 6th June
    Oriel House Hotel, Ballincollig
    • Wednesday 12th June
    Radisson Hotel, Little Island
    • Thursday 13th June
    Carrigaline Court Hotel, Carrigaline
    • Wednesday 19th June
    Blarney Castle Hotel, Blarney.

Wow, I thought the MCP redevelopment was long dead (not as dead as Atlantic Quarter, but still pretty dead).

Victoria Rd. is like a boundary line between the 'old' city and the potential new ex-dockland heartland. Navigation Square (and any other potential development on that block) were fairly easy wins, but this development would be firmly in the 'new' side, in an area not served by existing public roads, requiring a hell of a lot of public investment to support. It's probably big enough to justify it, but at the same time it's a bit of a risk for the developers.

I'm hoping it goes ahead, just because the tower is something new and a bit original.

who_me wrote: »
    Wow, I thought the MCP redevelopment was long dead (not as dead as Atlantic Quarter, but still pretty dead).

Victoria Rd. is like a boundary line between the 'old' city and the potential new ex-dockland heartland. Navigation Square (and any other potential development on that block) were fairly easy wins, but this development would be firmly in the 'new' side, in an area not served by existing public roads, requiring a hell of a lot of public investment to support. It's probably big enough to justify it, but at the same time it's a bit of a risk for the developers.

I'm hoping it goes ahead, just because the tower is something new and a bit original.

Imagine it, having to put in new roads and being able to leave a medieval layout in the old-town

https://www.facebook.com/725753207507629/photos/a.826672197415729/2244544108961857/?type=3&theater
    Some 150 new plants on the Pedestrian Cycle Walkway to Tramore Valley Park from.the South Douglas Road were vandalised and uprooted last night. Our Parks Staff are trying to rescue some plants this morning.
    Why do we even bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That's bizarre, why would someone even think to do that, and wouldn't they get bored after a couple of plants? Not being funny but could it be an animal? I planted some stuff recently and came out one morning to find it all dug up. Can't comprehend why a human would do this to this extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,244 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

TheChizler wrote: »
    That's bizarre, why would someone even think to do that, and wouldn't they get bored after a couple of plants? Not being funny but could it be an animal? I planted some stuff recently and came out one morning to find it all dug up. Can't comprehend why a human would do this to this extent.

It was an animal: the Lesser Spotted Scumbag. Quite a few of them around the place. Known to to be utterly brainless and hang around in feral groups not doing anything of much use.

They're not rooted into the ground yet, come out with a light yank. One scummy could have 30 out in a minute or two, if they were having a race against other scummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,185 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I remember about 15 or 20 years ago a new park (Sean Cronin park) was created across from the CSO offices adjacent to where an Aldi now stands. A circular pathway was created with benches and about 30 saplings were planted along the pathway so that in the future the entire area would be tree-lined. One night, someone came along and smashed the trunks of every single one of those saplings, killing them.
    I don't have any evidence but I think in both these cases the culprits were likely gangs of teenage boys who did it just because they could - possibly to impress each other in some twisted kind of way.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

Am I wrong in thinking this type of vandalism of public spaces is a problem that you don't tend to get in other countries?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Mardyke wrote: »
    Am I wrong in thinking this type of vandalism of public spaces is a problem that you don't tend to get in other countries?

Very wrong. Happens absolutely everywhere.
    Ney York famously cracked down on it with a zero tolerance policy known as the broken windows policy. The idea is that if you crack down hard on people (young people in particular tend to be the guilty partys) for little things before they start out in a criminal life you prevent them doing worse in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Mardyke

I'm just not sure French kids set playgrounds alight...?

Zero tolerance would be a good approach. Might make people think twice. Might also help with kids turning into criminals and/or politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,260 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mardyke wrote: »
    I'm just not sure French kids set playgrounds alight...?

Zero tolerance would be a good approach. Might make people think twice. Might also help with kids turning into criminals and/or politicians.

Maybe not in leafy rural Normandy but things around the Banlieue get trashed and grafittied for sure.

Very funny the comments, people wanting to introduce Sharia law to punish kids pulling up plants.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/outgoing-lord-mayor-criticises-long-running-cork-events-centre-saga-928947.html

Some interesting events centre info here. There will be a response to the additional information request by BAM before July 3rd and ABP will then make a decision within four weeks. I haven’t been the biggest Mick Finn fan but his key point here is absolutely correct, we’ve had three years of massive promises on multiple projects ranging from the M20 to Busconnects to the Event Centre from FG and no action. 11 cranes in the city (two more in the greater area) and only one is working on a public project...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

The HQ development earlier this morning. Certainly not hanging around.

482065.jpg

• Advertisement

Advertisement