Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie cyclist - advice

Options
  • 16-04-2018 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭

Hi there

I just completed my first 65k sportive yesterday in Cork. I'm just wondering if aiming to complete a sportive once a month is a good idea or overdoing it for a newbie. I'm an ex runner with a dodgy knee so have to take care but really enjoyed myself yesterday! Have physio app next week so will talk to her too..

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you won't - and can't - get medical advice here on boards, but a sportive of that length is more than doable once a month, purely based on the fact that you've already achieved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Thanks, not looking for medical advice, just words from the experienced! I feel like I can do it but I just wanted make sure I'm not going overboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

65km is a nice distance, I'd keep an eye on the amount of climbing and how steep.

Easy to go long distances on the flat but as an overweight ex-sprinter with dodgy knees climbing is where I can struggle at times.

You'll know yourself when it/they start to hurt and dial it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

When I started cycling about 6 years ago I'd did about 3 sportives the first year. Really enjoyed them and said I would do loads next year.
    What actually happened most years since then is I cycle a good few club spins and do a select 3-4 sportives. I enjoy a good 70-90 k with the club almost as much, am still home by lunchtime for family, and get to do a few local events and travel to one or two.
    In short, join a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Thanks very much for the feedback, a bit reluctant to join a club as I don't want to slow anyone down!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Thanks very much for the feedback, a bit reluctant to join a club as I don't want to slow anyone down!

Don't be daft, there are clubs and spins for all abilities.

No one is born a cat1 racer.

My clubs have various spins from social, touring to race and non-stop.

I know Orwell wheelers have a whole rainbow of grades to mooch around in to find where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Burts Bee wrote: »
    Most have newbie/ introductory spins, and then have different levels of spins too.

Advertisement