Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned for "personal abuse"

Options
  • 16-04-2018 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭

A poster in a thread I frequent left a post in which they had a bit of a tantrum - claiming the thread isn't worth posting in, saying "F*** this thread", and claiming there were too many "absolute dickheads" in the thread making it not worth wasting any more of his time over, before announcing his departure.

I, who based on this posters previous aggression towards me leaves me in little doubt that I am one of the "absolute dickheads" he was referring to, simply replied with "good riddance" which earned me a yellow card for personal abuse.

I am honestly struggling to understand how I personally abused this person by writing "good riddance" in response to a post in which he disrespected the thread and the posters who frequent it. There was nothing personal in my remark. If someone believes the thread isn't worth their time and the contributors are "absolute dickheads" then I will be glad to see the back of them and that view is reflected in my post. A quick search on Google on what is meant by the term "good riddance" reveals it is used to express that one is glad, or relieved that something or someone is gone. Again, I haven't personally insulted this person in any way but if someone who calls other posters dickheads is announcing he is leaving the thread then I will most certainly be glad that they're gone.

Furthermore, the mod who issued the warning also gave me a 2 week ban since it was my third yellow card. However, that same mod had overturned a previous yellow card that was given to me when I contested it. I have two PMs to prove it. By my count that would put me on 2 yellows (one of which was ridiculously soft considering what gets said in that particular thread), which is less than the 3 required for a ban.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod who issued the yellow card? That's the first step in the dispute process

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭deaddonkey15

Beasty wrote: »
    Have you attempted to resolve this directly with the mod who issued the yellow card? That's the first step in the dispute process

I have. He acknowledged that he had previously overturned one of my yellows but didn't lift the ban. I asked if there was another yellow that I had forgotten about which would make it 3 yellows (not including the overturned one) that would justify the ban and got no response.

I also asked for an explanation on why my post amounted to personal abuse and received none.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The card and ban were only applied this morning. Please give the mod time to respond. Just to be clear though there currently remain 3 yellows applied to your account in connection with the 2017/8 Soccer Season. Mods can request cards be revoked, but to date I have seen no request in connection with any of your cards

If you've got a PM from the mod saying he would revoke a card, perhaps you could forward that PM to me. In the meantime I'll ask the mod to have a look at the points you have mentioned in this thread before getting a CMod to have a look at your appeal

OK I've spoken to the mod. We missed his request to overturn one of your cards, and I've now corrected that and lifted the Soccer Forum ban

Your yellow received this morning currently remains in place. Could you please confirm if you wish to proceed with your appeal against that card? I'll ask the mod to ensure he responds to any outstanding PMs from you on the matter.

Thanks

Thank you. I will forward both PMs to you.

I do wish to continue my appeal for this morning's yellow in relation to my "good riddance" post. I honestly do not believe that this post personally abused the poster I quoted. It merely reflected my contempt for his post and attitude which disrespected both the thread and posters within it. Furthermore, I don't believe my post was even out of character for the nature of the thread which is rife with passive aggression and thinly veiled swipes at other users. Hence why I believe one of my other yellows was particularly soft, especially when I was once referred to as a "f*cking tool" within the same thread and to my knowledge, no action was taken against the offending poster.

• Advertisement

That's fine, and apologies for the mess-up on the earlier card

I've asked the mod to respond to your PM. If you cannot resolve this with him I'll ask a CMod to have a look

I've asked the mod to respond to your PM. If you cannot resolve this with him I'll ask a CMod to have a look

I still can't post in the thread that I was banned from. I can access and view the thread, which is an improvement at least.

I've just refreshed you access. You should be able to post in Soccer now

Thank you.

Still waiting for a response.

• Advertisement

Still no response. I'd say it's probably best to just revoke the card at this stage. It's pretty obvious I was saying "good riddance" to the poster's arrogant and abusive attitude rather than personally abusing him.

Is this issue ever going to get resolved lads?

Apologies for the delay

I've just given the mod another nudge. If he does not get back to you over the next couple of days please post back here.

Thanks

I haven't been able to resolve this issue with the mod who, to be honest, is very selective with his moderation of the thread and enforcement of the rules in the charter. What's the process for taking this, and the quite frankly poor quality moderation of the thread in question further?

If you are disputing the yellow, I'll get a Sports CMod to deal with the appeal here. Please confirm if you wish to pursue your appeal

If you wish to make a complaint about moderation, that belongs in the Help Desk forum - please do not start a thread there until this appeal is resolved one way or other

If you are disputing the yellow, I'll get a Sports CMod to deal with the appeal here. Please confirm if you wish to pursue your appeal

If you wish to make a complaint about moderation, that belongs in the Help Desk forum - please do not start a thread there until this appeal is resolved one way or other

I do wish to pursue the appeal. Although the basis of my appeal is the selective moderation and the seemingly subjective and flexible definition of the term "personal abuse", despite it being clearly explained in the charter.

Thanks. I've asked the CMods to have a look at this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi deaddonkey15,

Can you forward on any relevant PMs between you and the mod concerned and I'll take a look.

So I am clear, the card in dispute is the one for the "Good riddance." comment in soccer?

Steve wrote: »
    Hi deaddonkey15,

Can you forward on any relevant PMs between you and the mod concerned and I'll take a look.

So I am clear, the card in dispute is the one for the "Good riddance." comment in soccer?

That's correct. I'll send those messages on. Can I also forward on details of a post in which a user referred to me as a "f*cking tool" - unpunished -in the same thread? I think it goes someway towards explaining my confusion on what actually falls under the term of "personal abuse" and hence why I'm challenging a yellow I received for a relatively harmless post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks,

Please pm me - or post here - anything that you think is relevant to your appeal.

I can't discuss any action or inaction over other users posts but as you are claiming 'selective moderation' then I will certainly take any examples you provide into account.

I will also ask the mod concerned - in due course - to provide examples of similar posts that were actioned.

• Advertisement

Hi deaddonkey15,

Have you anything to report or can I assume you have lost interest in this appeal?

Thanks.

Hi deaddonkey15,

Have you anything to report or can I assume you have lost interest in this appeal?

Thanks.

Apologies, I've been distracted lately. I will forward on the relevant PMs.

Thanks, I got your PM, there is a bit to consider there.

Bear with me.

Sorry for the delay, following some discussion with my fellow cmods about this, I was of the opinion that this is not clear personal abuse but there was still an element of it so you need to think before you post in future. You are getting the benefit of the doubt in this case and I'll overturn the card.

Please bear in mind that you have been warned previously for a similar reason, as I said, think before hitting the submit button.

Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, following some discussion with my fellow cmods about this, I was of the opinion that this is not clear personal abuse but there was still an element of it so you need to think before you post in future. You are getting the benefit of the doubt in this case and I'll overturn the card.

Please bear in mind that you have been warned previously for a similar reason, as I said, think before hitting the submit button.

Thanks.

Have you ever looked at the United superthread? If your mods are going to be giving yellows for an "element" of personal abuse then ye will be dishing out yellows pretty much every day.

I assume I can report any and all other posts I see in which there is an "element" of personal abuse then?

Really?

I just rescinded your card and you and you disagreeing with me???

Fair enough, I'll take that into account in for next season

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I assume I can report any and all other posts I see in which there is an "element" of personal abuse then?

Just a reminder - abuse of the report post function to prove some sort of point is an actionable offense site wide.

Card has been overturned - marking as resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement