Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What gears do I need?

Options
  • 16-04-2018 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'll be cycling up a 3.4km hill with a 122 metre climb. Any advice on what gears I would need. would 2x7 be enough? Not very fit currently either.

I just looked at a different source for the elevation and it's more like over 300m elevation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

4% grade is no killer. Number of gears doesn't matter as much as gear ratio. I can have 50 different combos but if they're all "hard" they wont help with a hill.

Go for the combo that brings your biggest cog at the back closest in size to your smallest cog in the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Without knowing the ratios, a 2x7 should have more than enough for a 4% gradient.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

gabhan16 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'll be cycling up a 3.4km hill with a 122 metre climb. Any advice on what gears I would need. would 2x7 be enough? Not very fit currently either.

What type of bike are you looking at that has a 7speed cassette? That's really old tech and I'm guessing its a really cheap 'donedeal' bike in which case you might be better off looking at second hand bikes within your budget.

The number of gears is irrelevant, what you need to know from someone selling a bike is the gear ratios on the front and rear. Something with a 50/34 front set up and 28 or higher on the rear will suit your needs perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭gabhan16

What type of bike are you looking at that has a 7speed cassette? That's really old tech and I'm guessing its a really cheap 'donedeal' bike in which case you might be better off looking at second hand bikes within your budget.

The number of gears is irrelevant, what you need to know from someone selling a bike is the gear ratios on the front and rear. Something with a 50/34 front set up and 28 or higher on the rear will suit your needs perfectly.

https://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/boardman-adult-bike/15221325

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The bottom end carrera road bikes are still 7 speed I think. They're not brilliant, but in my experience they're a step up from a true BSO (having had both!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Looking at the sprockets/chainrings on that bike, they'll be fine for the climb you mentioned, and every time you change the chain/rear sprockets (every few thousand km), you can choose slightly different sizes if you like.

PS: That's a really small frame - are you less than around 5'6"/165cm? - if so, it's fine, but otherwise, it might be too small.

Type 17 wrote: »
    Looking at the sprockets/chainrings on that bike, they'll be fine for the climb you mentioned, and every time you change the chain/rear sprockets (every few thousand km), you can choose slightly different sizes if you like.

PS: That's a really small frame - are you less than around 5'6"/165cm? - if so, it's fine, but otherwise, it might be too small.

I'm 172cm, maybe too small alright.

I'm 172cm, maybe too small alright.

If your back is relatively long and you limbs are relatively short (common enough), you can take a smaller framer than you might otherwise do, but if you're mostly proportional, or have a short back/long limbs, then this one's not for you.

Type 17 wrote: »
    If your back is relatively long and you limbs are relatively short (common enough), you can take a smaller framer than you might otherwise do, but if you're mostly proportional, or have a short back/long limbs, then this one's not for you.

https://www.donedeal.ie/adview/view/18552664 this looks decent for price and so on. Ill check both out i think for size

Thanks for your advice.

Cool, both are worth a look, if they're local (Giant looks a better size for you).

PS: In general, don't be tempted to lift the seat to the limit on a small frame, as you'll find that the handlebars will still be too close (smaller frames are shorter front-to-back as well as top-to-bottom).

• Advertisement
Advertisement