Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working notice period

Options
  • 16-04-2018 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've got a job 6 weeks ago. Last Saturday I handed in my 1 week notice. As I've got a much better position.in every possible way. Work conditions, weekends off, a fantastic company, better pay, better hours qnd much more..

So, handed in my notice for my current position last Saturday. This weeks work rota was done up by this stage. I was on it to work Saturday. However I am not able to work as I've plans.

I am now being told that I am legally required to work the Saturday as well. As the rota starts on a Sunday and finishes on a Saturday. Instead of Monday to Sunday. However, if I work the extra day. That makes 8 days notice. Am I required to work on Saturday or can I legally finish on Friday?

(just as a side note, I realise it's only one day. However, I'm being told regular by a member of staff (supervisor) that I'm useless and stupid in front of customers. I was also thumped last week by the same individual, not sore but hard enough for me to know that I was thumped. I raised the issue to the manager of the shop, as I work in the Deli. However nothing was said to her. That is no word of a lie.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Just don’t go in. Usually I’d be the type to say Ireland is a small place, keep your nose clean, get a good reference etc etc but that type of place isn’t worth stressing over. Tell her “yea no bother, I’ll be in” and then just go off and do whatever you’d got planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Just don’t go in. Usually I’d be the type to say Ireland is a small place, keep your nose clean, get a good reference etc etc but that type of place isn’t worth stressing over. Tell her “yea no bother, I’ll be in” and then just go off and do whatever you’d got planned.

I totally get where you're coming from. Ireland is small. But I can't remember anything good about that job. It was just mainly abuse. No training or nothing like that. All for min wage. I kid you not! It has to have been the worst place I've ever worked in my life..

I was extremely depressed going in the morning and even thinking about work on my days off. When I would be called names by the supervisor. I'd just reply with "okay" or "that's fine" mainly because I was trying my best to hold back the tears. :o which I'm pretty embarrassed about..

Then, an old head chef, who I used to work with. In the job prior. Recommended me for this new job that I'm going to be starting soon. I was over the moon, when I was offered the position. It really appears to be a fantastic opportunity.

Anyway, I will tell them that I have plans. But if all else fails. I'll do what you suggested and tell them I'll work. But I'll just not turn up.

(realistically I should have just titled the thread as: good excuses so that I won't have to work.) :D

Regardless thanks very much for the suggestion. :) it's very much appreciated.

Edit: I've already got two references. One from the chef who recommended me. Then the other from a different head chef..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

100% agree.
    just call in sick. thats if you want to call. you handed in your notice.

100% agree.

Thanks, so it doesn't matter that the roster starts on a Sunday and finishes on a Saturday?

Because I'm being told that's the reason I've to work the 8th day..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

job seeker wrote: »
    Thanks, so it doesn't matter that the roster starts on a Sunday and finishes on a Saturday?

Because I'm being told that's the reason I've to work the 8th day..

How much notice were you supposed to give? Did you give them that amount of notice?

That's really all that matters as far as I know.

What if they made the rota for a month in a go....wouldn't make you 'legally obliged' to work any extra...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

I was in the similar position before in which they were telling me that i had to work 7 days (one week notice) as in be in for 7 days rather than 7 calendar days. I asked them where this was written in the contract and pointed out that my contract states 1 week notice and thst it doesn't imply anything else apart from 1 calendar week. Manager didn't bother replying. Figured out that he didn't realise that the weekend that I was due out, he didn't have anybody in, so was stuck and therefore pressured me to work. Little did he know, if he asked me nicely I probably would've stayed and covered for the weekend. :)

So I simply said, no I'm not coming in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

I am now being told that I am legally required to work the Saturday

(just as a side note, I realise it's only one day. However, I'm being told regular by a member of staff (supervisor) that I'm useless and stupid in front of customers. I was also thumped last week by the same individual, not sore but hard enough for me to know that I was thumped. I raised the issue to the manager of the shop, as I work in the Deli. However nothing was said to her. That is no word of a lie.)

So you were assaulted in your place of work, and are being bullied, and reported it to the manager, and they are talking about you having to legally work Saturday.

I could suggest that you tell the manager that
    1) they are lucky that your are not calling the Gardai to press charges against the supervisor and
    2) you are making an official complaint about the manager and their handling of your report to their manager and
    3) you have contacted a solicitor about the extra day and they are willing to contact the Workplace Relations Commission about the verbal abuse and the physical assault, and
    4) that the letter you just handed in was a data access request for all data including the security video held by the company and
    5) that you definitely won't be in on Saturday and
    6) that if they keep hounding you, you won't be on the premises in 2 min. time.

But I would just leave a good bye card with the rota on Friday morning, with the text " today is my last day, it's been an experience, regards J".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,448 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

100% agree.

This. I'd even rub it in by blaming it on delayed aftereffects from the punch...
    I was also thumped last week by the same individual

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

wexie wrote: »
    How much notice were you supposed to give? Did you give them that amount of notice?

That's really all that matters as far as I know.

What if they made the rota for a month in a go....wouldn't make you 'legally obliged' to work any extra...

Cheers, it just states 7 days.. Nothing else. I see what you're saying. Thanks.

I was in the similar position before in which they were telling me that i had to work 7 days (one week notice) as in be in for 7 days rather than 7 calendar days. I asked them where this was written in the contract and pointed out that my contract states 1 week notice and thst it doesn't imply anything else apart from 1 calendar week. Manager didn't bother replying. Figured out that he didn't realise that the weekend that I was due out, he didn't have anybody in, so was stuck and therefore pressured me to work. Little did he know, if he asked me nicely I probably would've stayed and covered for the weekend. :)

So I simply said, no I'm not coming in. :D

That's exactly it. Why be so sneaky?

You see, there is a member of staff off sick this week. 2 others leaving on Saturday as well as myself. So, they may see me as a push over. But look, if the supervisor was nice, instead of nasty. I'd have no issue working. Although the supervisor has been nice as pie to me in the last few days since. But it's to little to late at this stage.

• Advertisement

So you were assaulted in your place of work, and are being bullied, and reported it to the manager, and they are talking about you having to legally work Saturday.

I could suggest that you tell the manager that
    1) they are lucky that your are not calling the Gardai to press charges against the supervisor and
    2) you are making an official complaint about the manager and their handling of your report to their manager and
    3) you have contacted a solicitor about the extra day and they are willing to contact the Workplace Relations Commission about the verbal abuse and the physical assault, and
    4) that the letter you just handed in was a data access request for all data including the security video held by the company and
    5) that you definitely won't be in on Saturday and
    6) that if they keep hounding you, you won't be on the premises in 2 min. time.

But I would just leave a good bye card with the rota on Friday morning, with the text " today is my last day, it's been an experience, regards J".

From what I can see. Is that, the manager didn't say anything, as she is good at getting the deli set up and serving customers. Just lacks at encouraging people and treating them as humans. It's a large deli as well, with a fast food restaurant joined on.serves 20/30 a day from the deli alone.

I considered calling the Gardai and I would have. If it left a bruse etc. But, that's mainly why I didn't.. As for the manager I don't know what to say he likes sales and not alot else. He'd be on a bonus with the deli. If he met targets.

I was told this evening to set up meat and other things for breakfast tomorrow morning at 6am. I didn't bother though. I just went home, shortly after the supervisor left.. They can sort it out tomorrow themselves..

This. I'd even rub it in by blaming it on delayed aftereffects from the punch...

:D not a bad idea..

You see, there is a member of staff off sick this week.
    :eek: Stress related or just recovering from GBH?
    2 others leaving on Saturday as well as myself.
    Their legal department will be ecstatic, nothing doing for ages and then like busses three cases come along at once.

From what I can see. Is that, the manager didn't say anything, as she is good at ....

As for the manager I don't know what to say he likes sales and not alot else. He'd be on a bonus with the deli. If he met targets.

The manager has legal obligation to provide a safe work environment. Once you reported an assault, he really had no option but to invest, irrespective of how good she was at her job. As for the bonus, if you went legal, just the legal fees and HR man hours offset over the 2 years it could take to come to court would leave meeting the sales target useless.

I considered calling the Gardai and I would have. If it left a bruse etc. But, that's mainly why I didn't..
    It's likely to be on CCTV.
    I just went home, ..
    They may sack you for that:rolleyes:

The manager has legal obligation to provide a safe work environment. Once you reported an assault, he really had no option but to invest, irrespective of how good she was at her job. As for the bonus, if you went legal, just the legal fees and HR man hours offset over the 2 years it could take to come to court would leave meeting the sales target useless.

It's likely to be on CCTV.

They may sack you for that:rolleyes:

Safe environment? You must be joking? Nothing was said, I was expecting something would have. But I am not there that long (6 weeks). To know how it works there.

Yeah, but I never went through with it. It was just a bad place to work. Something that I'd prefer to put behind me. I'm starting a new job next week. It seems like an excellent opportunity. So I'm looking forward to it. So new beginnings.

It most likely was. But, It wasn't hard enough to leave a bruse. I was just taken back. That it actually happened. More than anything else.

Now, if it left a mark of any kind, I'd have definitely have taken the matter further. :)

:pac:

It was just a bad place to work.
    Something that I'd prefer to put behind me. I'm starting a new job next week. It seems like an excellent opportunity. So I'm looking forward to it. So new beginnings.
    Hope it all works out for you.

I agree that if that's what you prefer its a good choice for you. But a little soapboxing for your next job.
    Being the victim of recurring abuse, even verbal, moves your personal boundaries of acceptable behavior. Having to rationalise a physical attack on top of this moves it again. Everyone is entitled to be treated with respect and basic manners. If she had been a random stranger you met every day on the street before you went into work you would have been on to the Gardai without a second thought. Think a little about when she crossed your boundaries on acceptable behaviour and what you would say to a person if it happens in the future.
    Anyway that's me off the soapbox.

Best of luck in your new role.

Hope it all works out for you.

I agree that if that's what you prefer its a good choice for you. But a little soapboxing for your next job.
    Being the victim of recurring abuse, even verbal, moves your personal boundaries of acceptable behavior. Having to rationalise a physical attack on top of this moves it again. Everyone is entitled to be treated with respect and basic manners. If she had been a random stranger you met every day on the street before you went into work you would have been on to the Gardai without a second thought. Think a little about when she crossed your boundaries on acceptable behaviour and what you would say to a person if it happens in the future.
    Anyway that's me off the soapbox.

Best of luck in your new role.

You are completely right. However I knew that I was leaving at this stage as well. So, that also contributed to me just moving on. I knew that there was going to be a way out of this job very soon. If I hadn't anything lined up. I would rocked the boat.

Thanks very much. :)

Advertisement