Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Told car was private but it's an ex-rental

Options
  • 16-04-2018 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

I'm sure this is a topic nearly done to death...

I'm looking at buying a second-hand car from a registered SIMI dealer. Test drove it - 152 Diesel with just over 60000 kms on it - nice spec and am really happy with it. Few little bits and bobs need fixing but garage agreed to fix up anything I mentioned - stopped short of saying I'd take it to mull it over a few days. In short, I really like the car and had no complaints.

I had some suspicions that it was an ex-rental after spotting a rake of diesel stickers on the tank cap and inside tank door/flap thing.

I asked the dealer was the previous owner a private owner to which he said it was. I did do a little more digging since and have uncovered the previous owner was, in fact, a rental company.

Personally, I could find little wrong with the car myself that wasn't going to be fixed before taking ownership. Previously, I had considered rentals because of the higher spec you usually get and to be fair the dealer might not have known it was a rental if he didn't buy the car in. But still...I wonder....
    1. should i be worried about buying an ex-rental?
    2. should I be worried about the dealer not disclosing?
    3. anything else beyond clutch etc to be concerned about in an ex-rental?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,450 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s pretty much no way the dealer doesn’t know.
    How many previous owners on it?
    What dealer is it?
    Have you a link to the ad?
    1. Yes
    2.Yes
    3. Accident damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

colm_mcm wrote: »
    There’s pretty much no way the dealer doesn’t know.
    How many previous owners on it?
    What dealer is it?
    Have you a link to the ad?
    1. Yes
    2.Yes
    3. Accident damage

Thanks for the reply! Just the one previous owner. From what I can see, it's been off the road quite a while. Like, late 2017 maybe..also the price dropped a grand in that time and came down nearly another grand when I spoke to him. Alarm bells? I'd rather not go into any more detail, because I'm still fairly happy with the car.
    This post has been deleted.

Thanks for the comment. Am I right in saying the logbook is just the tax book? I didn't think that would have anything exciting in it so good call on taking a look at it. It's just the one owner so far, so I presume the book will currently show the rental company right? When the SIMI dealer takes it in, it doesn't get added to the tax book does it?

my ultimate end game is this. I tested the car, was fairly happy and all but wasn't informed it was ex-rental. It's a manual, so my biggest concern is the clutch. I was going to play it that I'm still interested but I need the warranty to cover clutch for 12 months.

Just to be clear, 1 previous owner on the book means two owners in total, 1 owner in total would be 0 previous owners on the book.

Garages aren’t counted in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

You wont get warranty on the clutch, its a wear and tear item just like brake pads. Get someone to check over the car and if its all good go for it.

Are you sure it was a rental and not a lease?

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, 1 previous owner on the book means two owners in total, 1 owner in total would be 0 previous owners on the book.

Garages aren’t counted in this.

it's listed as just the one owner and he said outright there was only one previous owner. I'll double check the book says 0.

aaakev wrote: »
    You wont get warranty on the clutch, its a wear and tear item just like brake pads. Get someone to check over the car and if its all good go for it.

Lease cars wouldn’t usually have stickers on the fuel tank.

Aye - t'was a rental company. I was hoping the warranty on the clutch could come as good faith after finding them out on a fib.

El Inho wrote: »
    it's listed as just the one owner and he said outright there was only one previous owner. I'll double check the book says 0.

You can check it for free on donedeal by starting to place an ad and putting the reg in. This gives you total owners.

If it’s one owner, then the car wasn’t traded in, they bought it somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Lease cars wouldn’t usually have stickers on the fuel tank.
    Missed that part!

• Advertisement

You can check it for free on donedeal by starting to place an ad and putting the reg in. This gives you total owners.

If it’s one owner, then the car wasn’t traded in, they bought it somewhere.

was going to get a motorcheck done on it anyway. presume that would show it up too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

You asked if the last owner was a rental company. The dealer might have been telling the truth if there were a few owners. I'd have thought most rental companies change cars every year or so.

was going to get a motorcheck done on it anyway. presume that would show it up too?

Yeah it will, but why waste your money?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Rental companies shift the cars on every few years. I don't think I'd be really worried about it but it has probably got bodywork in its time as a rental. I assume the dealer thought telling you might have put you off the car. Most brands and dealers here give cars to rental companies like hertz for about 6 months.

Hire companies seem to hang on to some cars for a few years these days. Budget used to do that years ago with stuff like automatics but you’d often see 2016 rentals now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

TBH it’s the 60k mileage that would bother me. Surely there has to be more 2 y/o cars out there with less mileage than that and ones that you wouldn’t have so many suspicions about. I’d run a mile.

They keep them around 3 years. I know Toyota, Renault and few others that give them about 14 cars every year

Yeah it will, but why waste your money?
    sorry should have said - I have a voucher
    emeldc wrote: »
    TBH it’s the 60k mileage that would bother me. Surely there has to be more 2 y/o cars out there with less mileage than that and ones that you wouldn’t have so many suspicions about. I’d run a mile.

looked at one that was younger with lower mileage and it was a ball of dirt. first car I looked at was lovely but then when I saw this one it trumped it everywhere. until I found out about the rental bit.

I wouldn't have thought 60k to be abnormally high but I suppose 152 and we're currently in 181 country - it might be a touch high

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

sorry should have said - I have a voucher

looked at one that was younger with lower mileage and it was a ball of dirt. first car I looked at was lovely but then when I saw this one it trumped it everywhere. until I found out about the rental bit.

I wouldn't have thought 60k to be abnormally high but I suppose 152 and we're currently in 181 country - it might be a touch high

Mileage isn't that high for an ex rental.
    Its just over 20k a year which isn't too bad.
    There was a thread here a few weeks back--it all depends on the brand and whether theres manufacturer warranty left on it.
    Can I ask even what brand it is?
    As for warranty on a clutch-no dealer in their right mind would give warranty on a clutch.
    Id a car only yesterday with 1700km on it that the customer burnt out in less than 5 minutes.

Point Im trying to make is that a clutch can be burnt out in minutes.Its a wear and tear item.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Just wondering but wouldn't a rental car be quite looked after in terms of maintenance?
    Car needs to be fit for purpose of it doesn't generate revenue for them if it's goosed.
    Would have thought rental cars would have the best chance of having all necessary work done.

• Advertisement

bear1 wrote: »
    Just wondering but wouldn't a rental car be quite looked after in terms of maintenance?
    Car needs to be fit for purpose of it doesn't generate revenue for them if it's goosed.
    Would have thought rental cars would have the best chance of having all necessary work done.

From my experience they do get mechanical work taking care of properly but worked on an ex rental that got bodywork and they filled over the panel gap between the bumper and wing then just drew the panel gap in the filled

EPAndlee wrote: »
    From my experience they do get mechanical work taking care of properly but worked on an ex rental that got bodywork and they filled over the panel gap between the bumper and wing then just drew the panel gap in the filled

That definitely isn’t the norm.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Mileage isn't that high for an ex rental.
    Its just over 20k a year which isn't too bad.
    There was a thread here a few weeks back--it all depends on the brand and whether theres manufacturer warranty left on it.
    Can I ask even what brand it is?
    As for warranty on a clutch-no dealer in their right mind would give warranty on a clutch.
    Id a car only yesterday with 1700km on it that the customer burnt out in less than 5 minutes.

Point Im trying to make is that a clutch can be burnt out in minutes.Its a wear and tear item.

Yeah it's a Kia. Very eager to ensure that the Warranty is all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Notch000

dont worry about the clutch it probably been changed several times already

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

OP you seem to be stressing the fact that this dealer is a SIMI dealer. That makes absolutely no difference to you with regard to your rights. It's for their own benefit that they are SIMI registered, not the customer's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

60,000km doesnt seem unusually high to me for a rental thats hitting 3 years old. I bought an ex-rental focus years back and while the mileage was high the car was solid as a rock, fully verified service history and never gave any trouble. Only issue was the fact it was a 1.4 petrol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Aye - t'was a rental company. I was hoping the warranty on the clutch could come as good faith after finding them out on a fib.

"Hi, you caught us out being shady and trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Of course we'll give you a warranty on the clutch, you can trust us"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

My father bought an ex rental a few years ago. He's not great at buying cars as he thinks dealers are trust worthy.
    Alarm bells rang for me when they had his old car which, he'd traded in, already on the forecourt with 60,000 km knocked off the clock, just three days later.
    I called a merc garage to do a check on his newer car and by chance it had been the garage where it'd had it's servicing done. They were able to verify the correct milage and any work done on it. He got lucky I presume. He hasn't had much trouble with it since then, apart from the normal things popping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

bear1 wrote: »
    No if it's not something which prevents it being rented out why spend the money plus its loosing revenue while its in the Shop. Eg Second last car I rented had soft breaks which I reported at the desk when handing back the paperwork, the guy made no effort to document this, the q for people looking for cars was out the door. I am pretty sure they would have had no replacement for the next poor renter.
    Thanks for the reply! Just the one previous owner. From what I can see, it's been off the road quite a while. Like, late 2017 maybe..also the price dropped a grand in that time and came down nearly another grand when I spoke to him. Alarm bells? I'd rather not go into any more detail, because I'm still fairly happy with the car.

Do you know if it was it off road with the dealer or the other owner?

• Advertisement

For anyone interested...

Went with the car - collecting later this week. The garage warranty is bumper to bumper including clutch. Happy enough with that.

Advertisement