Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of career, need help!!

Options
  • 16-04-2018 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm 39 years of age and want to leave my job as an Occupational Therapist. Reasons are: find job too stressful which in turn increase my anxiety and depression.
    I want to stay within the HSE but would love a job thats still in the caring profession with not as much stress attached. I don't mind a decrease in wage as when I'm off with anxiety I don't get paid. So I'd rather a job Id be happier in and get paid less..
    Has anyone made this move and if so what job did he go for??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,519 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

What are you doing specifically now that is too stressful?
    IWA - kinda need an introduction for the personal care side and maybe the hours wouldn't suit but very nice job - definitely no stress

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Have you considered staying as an OT but moving to a different area of practice? For example mental health (if you are not already doing that role). Something like working in a psychiatric day hospital would be less stressful than working in an acute setting. Another thing to consider is part time working. I work part time in my profession and it’s great. I earn as much as a lower grade staff member would do at full time and I get time free to study, sleep etc. You might find lower salary job frustrating if you are used to working as an OT. Speak to your occupational health dept and they might be able to support your application for shorter hours with your manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Faine

fritzelly wrote: »
    What are you doing specifically now that is too stressful?
    IWA - kinda need an introduction for the personal care side and maybe the hours wouldn't suit but very nice job - definitely no stress

I've missed so much time over the years and off for the last 2 yrs following an injury. My confidence would be low anyways. Feel I've lost so much experience and won't be on top of things. OT is registered now so I'd have to demonstrate my competence and gain points to register each year. Pressure I don't need. For the last few years I've dreaded goin to work. Think I want out but would like to stay in the HSE.

Have you considered staying as an OT but moving to a different area of practice? For example mental health (if you are not already doing that role). Something like working in a psychiatric day hospital would be less stressful than working in an acute setting. Another thing to consider is part time working. I work part time in my profession and it’s great. I earn as much as a lower grade staff member would do at full time and I get time free to study, sleep etc. You might find lower salary job frustrating if you are used to working as an OT. Speak to your occupational health dept and they might be able to support your application for shorter hours with your manager.
    Thank you for getting back to me. I've tried part time work on each time on my return and it has helped but I find the pressure of the job and needing to be on top form hard to sustain. Find the pressure of been registered now as a profession fills me with fear!!
    My friends tell me I'm mad to leave the HSE with the pension etc so I'm in limbo!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

Faine wrote: »
    I've missed so much time over the years and off for the last 2 yrs following an injury. My confidence would be low anyways. Feel I've lost so much experience and won't be on top of things. OT is registered now so I'd have to demonstrate my competence and gain points to register each year. Pressure I don't need. For the last few years I've dreaded goin to work. Think I want out but would like to stay in the HSE.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it reads like it's not the work that is stressing you out but compulsory registration?
    If that's the case most allied healthcare professionals will eventually be under CORU. All healthcare professionals have some form of registration too. So there's no escaping it.
    The good news is that it's really not as onerous as you feel it is. You're working, you are continuously learning from that. Every time you read a work related article or book it counts. Every meeting counts. The requirements are written to sound a lot grander than the reality. Registration shouldn't change your practise, it just makes you document the extra non-patient stuff that you already do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

We have compulsory CPD and registration review in our profession. It’s not something to be worried about. It’s just a case of getting in the habit of documenting your learning and reviewing your gaps in knowledge.
    If you’ve missed training due to sickness could you ask your manager to give you some extra training or support to help you catch up?
    If you really don’t want to continue to work as a healthcare professional then ask your manager if you could do an admin role for a while. I think something like a healthcare assistant job could bring more stress as you’ll be paid less and have more people bossing you around!

We have compulsory CPD and registration review in our profession. It’s not something to be worried about. It’s just a case of getting in the habit of documenting your learning and reviewing your gaps in knowledge.
    If you’ve missed training due to sickness could you ask your manager to give you some extra training or support to help you catch up?
    If you really don’t want to continue to work as a healthcare professional then ask your manager if you could do an admin role for a while. I think something like a healthcare assistant job could bring more stress as you’ll be paid less and have more people bossing you around!

Thank you all for your replys. Think I need to sit down and do some thinking!

Advertisement